PDA

View Full Version : Shaselai's game reviews....

shaselai
12-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Ok I am sorting my reviews here so people can see whichever ones they like...

Games:

Adventures to go (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=510061#post510061)
Assasin's creed 2 (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=510157#post510157)
Zelda spirit tracks (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=511010#post511010)
Darksiders (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=512946#post512946)
New super mario wii (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=513677#post513677)
Final fantasy IV the after years (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=515324#post515324)
no more heroes 2 (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=515694#post515694)
Mass effect 2 (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=516740#post516740)
White knight chronicles (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=517382#post517382)
Bioshock 2 (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=517650#post517650)
Dante's inferno (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=517981#post517981)
DJ Max clazziquai and black square (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=518496#post518496)
the last rebellion (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=519351#post519351)

Movies:
Percy jackson and the lightning thief (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=518390#post518390)

I guess i will try do some reviews from now on... Grading scale is out of 10 for story, graphics,sound,gameplay,other (lower means more nuisance/problems)

Magna Carta 2 - xbox 360

Story- 7.5
Basically an evil prime minister killed the queen and started a war and the princess formed an alliance to fight against him. Can't spill too much or it becomes too spoilery. Although story is a bit generic in terms of "saving the world" but it has some twists to not be a total failure.

Graphics - 8
pretty decent but i liked the art book's model more than the 3d models. Monsters are somewhat diverse and has decent details.

Sound - 7
Soundtrack is mostly forgivable. Some tracks are great but the problem is the short track in a huge world - it gets repeated way too much and gets too repetitive.

Gameplay - 7
Battle is like final fantasy 12 where it is all open world and you fight whoever you want. Characters has stamina and that restricts how many actions they can do before they "overheat" and just stands there for a while. To use skills characters needs to charge their Kan - non magic users can store their kan points while wizard types needs to stay in a general area or they lose the kan points they generate. I find regular attacks are the best since skills eats up too much stamina and the animation gets annoying.

There is a lot to customize - you can customize your weapons by inserting komonds which gives stat/effect upgrades - the stat upgrades are very important since leveling up increases some attributes 1-2 points so not a lot of improvement. The leveling system is level based - you get more points if your level is below the monster's levels and if you overlevel you will end up gaining very little exp making level gain much harder. You do get 2 fighting styles - wizards basically get close/ranged and fighters gets 2 diff weapon types. Each style has its own tree and that is upgradeable through skill points from leveling up.

Your chars also has unique field skills like lighting a fire and lifting plants but it is pretty much useless since there are like only 2-3 instances of those ever being used.

other - 6

This game has quite a few flaws but overall an improvement over MC1. First of all this game is still VERY LINEAR. You are pretty much story driven and cant stray far until much later in the game. Quests are plenty but some may be lost due to linear gameplay since sometimes you cant return to quest areas. Secondly, the AI in this game sucks - you pretty much need a healer, you as main offense guy and a ranged char. There are only 3 options for AI actions and none of them are any good except healer. The AI doesnt seem to use any high level skills and tends to burn more on boosting skills and level 1 skills instead of "smart skills" like AOE when enemies grouped etc.

Overall 7.1

The story has some interesting elements and there is no true "evil" so it was kind fulfilling after beating it. The battle system is OK but i find most of the skills too expensive to use and pretty much boss only. AI is a killer for me, i find my self in a "facepalm moment" whenever the AI is healing herself of a negative status element while she is STANDING on the negative status field thus starts the endless chain of cure status-> get negative status-> cure status->get negative status..... I really hope they make a 3rd one because i did enjoy it overall....

critiques? hope it helps some magna carta 2 on the fencers...

memory to zack
12-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Your review certainly helped me to decide against MC2. I was on the fence.

shaselai
12-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Your review certainly helped me to decide against MC2. I was on the fence.

i would suggest renting it.

memory to zack
12-09-2009, 05:11 PM
i would suggest renting it.

I don't like renting games. Either own them or not. But trading it is a possibility.

shaselai
12-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Adventures to go - PSP

Story- 6
This is one of those games that has very little story - basically you are an adventurer who just wants "loot". He gets loot by killing monsters in this artificially created dungeon with summoned monsters. The service is used by a lot of "adventurers" and that is how he met his other companions.. There's a lot of humor in it.

Graphics - 7
It is ok - monsters could be repetitive a bit. Environment is not that bad - the dungeons are all randomly generated so it could be a bit repetitive.

Sound - 7
Sound is OK - nothing that great but nothing that annoys the heck outta me,

Gameplay - 7
You have your char specific weapons and you have your elemental properties. Each char can equip 2 weapons for in-battle switching which is kinda nice. Spells are made by fusing crystals together like a recipe and each char has a limit of how many different spells he/she can hold. Each spell can be cast X number of times depending on how many times you create the spell again.
The battle system uses AP - you turn it costs 1, you move it costs 1 etc. The battle takes place in the area the encounter started so the environment plays a role in your positioning and maneuverability. With that said one of the major flaws of the game is you cant move through your chars - so if you have chars who are faster than others in front of him/her you are kinda stuck sitting there or just cast spells....
The game itself is quest-driven, basically every chapter someone wants you to get something from the artificial dungeon so you have to recreate the environment to get to that item. For example, someone wants a pig's hide so you have to create the dungeon using plains X plains x plains to have the pig appear. It is not that much trial and error since that person basically tell you what the environment is.
The money in this game is somewhat scarce. You basically have to pay to create dungeons and you need to make enough loot to cover the cost. The weapons and armor can be a bit expensive but with the dungeon system setup you really have to fight a lot of monsters to get the money to buy the items AND to cover the dungeon creation cost.

Overall 6.75

The story is nonexistent but the game tries to make it up with humor and gameplay. Gameplay couldve been much better if you can move through your chars and money could be more easily obtained. When i play this i just feel i am not accomplishing much since the adventures are basically inside an artificial dungeon and all they want is to get loot - certainly not the generic "save the world" but it is not too exciting either...

shaselai
12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Assassin's Creed 2 - PS3

Story- 9
This story continues right after AC1. The main char will dive into the Animus as Ezio now and instead of being a full fledged assassin like AC1 he will start fresh. The story is more fleshed out in this one as well. They made good use of historical figures and events but I think there's too much char and info overload and some chars you interact with stick around too short or just for specific missions - not too much attachment here. The story introduced many new elements and surprises but left with many questions unanswered and yet another cliffhanger which AC3 will undoubtedly continue from where AC2 left at.

Graphics - 9.5
It is great - enemies becomes too repetitive to look at. Great scenery but some char design are just atrocious - kristen bell for example...

Sound - 8.5
I really didnt notice much in the music department here - was busy paying than listening but some soundtracks are very good while others i just didnt care for. The voice choices are pretty nice and i kinda find it annoying they switch english with italian in middle of sentences...

Gameplay - 8
This is basically like AC1 - you can roam around and do side quests as long as you are within the current zone or you die. You can now collect feathers and treasures and you also own your stronghold that generates obscene amount of money later on so money is almost never an issue as long as you setup the stronghold early. The combat system is kinda dull - although you have a lot of different weapons but the basic is still you swing and parry. Some later enemies parry too many times and you might find yourself trying to land a hit after 5-6 attacks. The enemy AI overall is OK - they chase you pretty well but sometimes it takes like 4-5 instant kills to have them realize i am silent killing them...

You can collect paintings, dye your clothing and get different weapons throughout the game - but the most efficient way to kill is still parrying and counter which is an instant kill so many might like high deflecting weapons. You get upgrades to the assassin weapons but i never bothered with them except the dual kill gadget (the poison was quite useless).

Overall 8.75

I enjoyed this overall - there were some frustrating parts of the game like combat but overall it was not bad. The story is kinda interesting and the pacing was not bad although i wouldve liked more "real world" screentime though.

shaselai
12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Zelda Spirit tracks DS-

Story- 6
There's really not much to it - basically the spirit tracks (train tracks) disappeared and Zelda's body been taken - it is up to Link and zelda's spirit to restore the tracks and ultimately get her body back while beating the bad guys. There are some references to the previous games so some people might find it interesting.

Graphics - 8
I guess from DS perspective it is not bad. It is catoony like the previous ones. Quite a few different types of enemies.

Sound - 7
It is OK. Nothing too annoying but nothing that great either. Link only has like 2 lines - "ah" and "hah". Old zelda sounds are mixed in there too - i think it is like a tradition?

Gameplay - 7
Basically to travel to any of the 4 zones you need to climb a tower and go through a dungeon laid with puzzles to get the track piece which will make tracks appear so you can travel around the area. Then you travel to a village, do some errands and travel to a shrine. At the shrine there is a Locomo who you need to do a duet using your pipe and microphone -after that you get another track piece which leads you to the dungeon where you need to beat the boss and light up the track.

The controls are OK although a bit frustrating at times, everything is stylus based so it takes a bit of getting used to. Zelda only helps you out at the tower where you get the tracks from. Basically in the tower you need to get 3 spirit tears while avoiding phatoms who will kill you in one strike. After getting the 3 tears you can attack phantoms and have zelda posses it and help you solve puzzles (step on buttons, push stuff, walk across lava etc.). The controls for zelda can be frustrating at times since she follows her route to a T and you really need to make it not touch anything or she just hangs there.

There are some side quests like helping a rabbit molester catch rabbits, delivery lumber and ice to different villagers, and finding stamps across the land.

Another aspect of the game is traveling by train - you basically hop on the train and use it to get to any part of the map - it can get annoying as there are these phantom trains that will kill you in one shot and are faster than you so they will always catch you if going a straight route. There is train customization but it seems to be only a skin and doesnt increase your train's speed, power or health - a pity really.

Overall 7
This is one game that i just felt like poking through the lcd screen with my stylus (tried but the tip broke and almost hit my eye..:irked:). I really hated the stylus control and the zelda controls are not that great either. It is playable sure but it is one game where i just want it to be over so i can write a review....

shaselai
01-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Story- 6
The story is just like the backcover - Armageddon started early and you as War is framed and is on a rampage to clear his name. The story is there but most of the game is basically a fetch quest and there's not a whole lot of story being filled till later. The story is kinda interesting when it's there.

Graphics - 8
The graphics are certainly nice. Some boss battles are epic but there are also some issues with treasure chest and freezes which prevents a higher score.

Sound - 9
Sound is actually pretty good. Great overall soundtrack. The battle music is very nice as well and the voice acting is pretty good too.

Gameplay - 8
Being a horseman War is kinda weak. Jumping is pretty tight - if you miss by a little it's a fall... The game is basically split into 4 major quests where each quest is a boss and unlocks a new equipment to help beat that area (like grappling hook) and there are also secondary weapons as well. Your weapons can be leveled up and also enhanced with items you get throughout the game.

This adventure game has a lot of puzzles - almost every other area is a puzzle and some can be frustrating as well. Also boss battles are very simple in terms of execution - find weak spot, avoid attacks, attack weak spot rinse and repeat. The fact that you can kill a boss 3-4 times after getting his weak spot makes your magic and other skills kinda useless - you could beat the entire game with just hack and slash and not use magic at all.

The shop system is a merchant who has shopping spots across the land and you can buy skills, items and upgrades and the currency is the souls of the enemies you defeat.

other - 8
Overall this game is decent and i am looking forward to the sequel. I would hope the next game have less puzzles - not that i dont like them but there's just way too many puzzles in the game. Also i hope they expand the story more because there's almost no plot advancement in like 80% of the game since it is a "fetch quest" most of the time.

darren
01-12-2010, 04:33 AM
not less puzzles .. more puzzles.. .. less puzzles would make it just another 3d hack un slash game

best way to describe Darksiders is Zelda meets a hack and slash .. lots of fun

Alucard
01-12-2010, 05:04 AM
I'm not sure what it is about darksiders but I'm one of the ones who dont like it at all. Character feels too heavy, all his moves look fimilar, you cant grab unless the game lets you, cameras a bit dodgy, story is just...god... I found it extremely dull.

darren
01-12-2010, 05:10 AM
camera work is fine, not had a single issue with it .. to me the charater design looks like WOW:BC

Joe Redifer
01-12-2010, 05:19 AM
I think Darksiders would be a good $20 or less used game. I hear the controls are fairly complicated at times. I thought this was an Xbox 360-only game, but I guess it is on PS3 as well, minus the screen tearing and frame rate drops.

Alucard
01-12-2010, 05:38 AM
camera work is fine, not had a single issue with it .. to me the charater design looks like WOW:BC

See thats the thing, Joe Mad isnt copying WoW. He's copying anime style. Thats his whole thing. His western anime version. Its how his comics always were.

darren
01-12-2010, 05:40 AM
Not saying he copied wow, just that it reminded me of wow:bc . not that its a bad thing tbh

plus on a positive side i think Mark Hamill does some voice work on the game

I think Darksiders would be a good $20 or less used game. I hear the controls are fairly complicated at times. I thought this was an Xbox 360-only game, but I guess it is on PS3 as well, minus the screen tearing and frame rate drops.

one things the controls are not is complicated .. who ever said that is a bit of a muppet

Zack
01-12-2010, 06:29 AM
I'm not sure what it is about darksiders but I'm one of the ones who dont like it at all. Character feels too heavy, all his moves look fimilar, you cant grab unless the game lets you, cameras a bit dodgy, story is just...god... I found it extremely dull.

i agree with everything posted. you forgot the animations suck too, with lots of missing transitions between them. looks rushed.

but like joe said, it could worth picking up for $20 for some mindless hack n slash.

Alucard
01-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Yeah, average game is still average even if its at $20. If a game isnt fun, I dont care how much it costs.

Joe Redifer
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
one things the controls are not is complicated .. who ever said that is a bit of a muppet

What I mean by that is that apparently you are accessing the menus a lot once you obtain a lot of powers to switch around between them to accomplish tasks. Back and forth and back and forth to the menu. Just what I heard.

darren
01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
no more than any zelda type game tbh mate .. when it comes you having to use certain items in certain place etc .. if people find zelda to have to much back and forth then theywill find this to much as well. You can assign up to 4 items to hot keys on the d-pad (up, down, left , right) you you can switch the most important ones to tho's so menu access is not bad as you can switch them quickly via the dpad

Northeastmonk
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Great review.. I really haven't picked a game that hasn't been in the spot light of the media. Darksiders was one I was interested in, but wasn't sure about. I want my horsman/world's end presented with a sound voice, which is why I'm trusting Dante's Inferno w/ Wayne Barlow as their artist.

shaselai
01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
darksiders is a rental - mine is already on ebay heh. Darksiders is not zelda clone although it shares some similarities. It has quite a bit of backtracking and even though it is "open world" it is actually very linear. And yeah, the jumping is too awkward.. like every other jump he is grasping the ledge as if he just made it heh.

darren
01-13-2010, 02:10 AM
darksiders is a rental - mine is already on ebay heh. Darksiders is not zelda clone although it shares some similarities. It has quite a bit of backtracking and even though it is "open world" it is actually very linear. And yeah, the jumping is too awkward.. like every other jump he is grasping the ledge as if he just made it heh.

what have you ever played Zelda mate???

Darksiders clearly resembles a large scale adventure game, like the Legend of Zelda.

- You progress through by exploring the overworld
- going into massive dungeons
- which all require solving puzzles
- There's locked doors that require keys, switches to hit to open doors,
- statues and boxes that require dragging and pulling
- you can spend 30 mins on a single puzzle and not seeing anything to fight
- finding new items / skill in each new dugoen to complete it and defeat the boss
- each boss give you a new 'heart' bit
- you find bits of heart bits dotted around the world and dungeons
- x4 of the heart bits and you get a new one
- bomb plants laying around to blast through certain walls (some you use the bomerang thing to blow up)
- roam the out world on a horse (yes i know TP only)
- instead of a bomerang i have the 'spinning disc' thing

this is clearly an action / adventrure ala Zelda type stuff .. any one buying this for a God of War / Gaiden beat um up clone will be sadley disapointed. it shares more similarities with a zelda type adventure than it does with a hack un slash

from the 1up preview
What's our take? War's savage finishing moves have me giddy for a dark, gory take on Zelda's adventuring.

from the ign review
It draws heavily from mechanics established in the 3D Legend of Zelda games

seriously mate .. i'd go play a 3d zelda game again. Yes it has hack un slash combat .. but the game its self is clear a zelda type clone. Not that its a bad thing as its a sweet genre, and one i enjoy. So i'm enjoying this a lot right now

calintz
01-13-2010, 02:25 AM
from what i've heard, it is similar to zelda, but it just doesn't "get" there yet - that's just from a couple of friends' opinions and the gt review
kinda like how 3D platformers still get overshadowed by mario games... but point for point are on par...

still on my must buy list, just not now..,

Alucard
01-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Actually I never thought about zelda while I played it. It reminded me of..uh..prototype style. Only without the cool powers and openness. But I never once thought about zelda.

calintz
01-13-2010, 03:15 AM
i just realised - this game reminds me of soul reaver

Vegetto
01-13-2010, 03:36 AM
i'm enjoying it so far

darren
01-13-2010, 03:45 AM
from what i've heard, it is similar to zelda, but it just doesn't "get" there yet - that's just from a couple of friends' opinions and the gt review
kinda like how 3D platformers still get overshadowed by mario games... but point for point are on par...

thats basically how i feel about it. reading a few dev interviews its clear they are 3d zelda fans and have used it as the template.

Actually I never thought about zelda while I played it. It reminded me of..uh..prototype style. Only without the cool powers and openness. But I never once thought about zelda.

really ?? i've gone direct from playing prototype to this .. and they are nothing like each other .. prototype doesn't have dungeons .. Darksiders is a dungeon game, prototype does not have one single puzzle filled dungoen. Prototype is a sandbox GTA type game.

how far have you played into Darksiders .. are you serioulsy saying the first dungeon that had

- bomb plant things
- bomerang type stuff (lock on three item to open door etc)
- find item to clear dungoen
- locked doors that need to find the key

not remotely like a zelda style action/adventure .. ??? ..

other than i played them both on 360 i'm seriously struggling to see any similairities between this and prototype mate

Alucard
01-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Well ok, I'm thinking of it a little differently to how you are. I see the similarities, but when I started playing it I didnt think of zelda. ITs not like zelda is the only action dungeon adventure game out there. Mind you zelda put me to sleep each time for some reason.

darren
01-13-2010, 04:24 AM
i know zelda is not the only action adventure game .. its my fav genre of game .. i play a ton of them ..

which is why i'v been saying a zelda style action adventure .. coz the dungeon exploration of the game which is the biggest part is clearly ripped right from a 3d zelda type of thing.

CongoJack
01-14-2010, 12:58 AM
i just realised - this game reminds me of soul reaver

At about 80% through and I'd have to agree with that. Couldn't put my finger on what game it reminded me of till I read that. Definitely more combat focused than typical zelda/adventure games. The puzzles could be harder. Only real complaint I have Shaselai has already mentioned; War doesn't seem to be able to truly make most jumps, he's always ledge hanging.

calintz
01-14-2010, 07:42 AM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/759954321_E7mFJ-L.jpg

shaselai
01-17-2010, 11:16 PM
New Super Mario bros Wii

Story- N/A
I mean mario isnt known to have any storyline except "lets rescue dumb princess again" so i cant really give it a score.

Graphics - 9
The worlds and levels are all very colorful. You get the usual suspects for worlds - forest,ice,sand,fire etc.There are tons of stuff on screen and some of the level designs are very nice. Not sure why peach isnt in it although miyamoto(?) said because she wore a skirt? Pretty much all usual suspect enemies from other marios are here. I think they added a couple of new guys like the boulder thrower guys and light jellyfish.

Sound - 9
Music is very good. It is also very nice/cute that some enemies moves to the tune as well (i think only one track). mario and enemy sounds are pretty much the same but the level and world sounds are very good.

Gameplay - 8.5

I played alone (no friends who like wii here...) but i guess multiplayer might be better... I am not a fan of the nuchuck and wiimote combo - especially on some timing moves and the spin move. I am not sure why they cant support the classic controller at all since the only motion sensitive move that was in it couldve been done on the triggers easily.

Each world has ~7 levels and a castle and maybe a ghost house and some mushroom houses. Each level has 3 big coins you collect to unlock hint videos - basically a video showing an expert player play through a level getting a lot of the stuff... Each world has 1 boss and you fight him/her twice. Once in midcastle and last time in the end of the level where he/she gets new tricks and the level gets magically upgraded - kinda fun.

overall 8.83

Other thoughts:
this is a pretty good game and i suggest buying it or at least renting it to check it out. The music is nice, the levels are very nice and although there are a couple of "omfg just jump/spin" moments because of controls it is a very solid game overall.

Vegetto
01-18-2010, 04:11 PM
the multiplayer is insane, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time

zechin
01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Been waiting for multiplayer like this since Super Mario World.

Definately worth it.

shaselai
01-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Final fantasy IV the after years (WII)

Story- 9
Years after the end of FF4, a mysterious girl attacks Baron castle and starts to collect the crystals once again. This game is episodic by character and each character story elaborates on brief scenes you see in main story - like why is Edward on a ship? The main story definitely wants you to buy more content since it shows brief scenes from other characters. The main story doesnt feel cheap at all and things do tie together well. some new character developments (like the children) lack a bit growth and there isn't a lot of character interaction between different episodes but it is expected with the way they designed this.

Graphics - 7
It is hard to compare this with recent games since this was for the phone, and it is hard to give it a high score so i give it what i feel it is right. This could be done on the SNES although the graphics is a little better in my opinion. Pretty much everything from FF4 SNES was reused - dungeons, overmap, towns, sprites although there are obviously some new sprites but overall it is probably 95% reuse and that is being generous.

Sound - 9
Music is same as FF4 soundtrack with few new ones. The new ones are actually kinda good especially the battle theme against the mysterious girl. Again if you liked the music from the snes you will like it and maybe more since everything's reused.

Gameplay - 7
There is only 1 "mandatory" episode to purchase to "beat the game". the main story you get by default and the last story links right after the main story although if you want to know the other char's paths/stories you would have to buy more. the reason you might want to buy more is to get their stories PLUS special items as well. The 2nd part of the main story allows item/char imports from other stories so if you dont want to end with crappy levels and default items (and not grind too much). The game's difficulty is a mixbag. Sometime i feel even with the "best" equipments at the time i am still being owned by monsters. Monsters physical attack seem to be very high all around - few hits and you are dead. Support spells seem to be very useful in this game - slow especially since it works on bosses too!
For each episode there is also a challenge dungeon where you pretty much need to grind to beat it for rare items (although rarity is not guaranteed...). If you do those dungeons for items you prob end up with max level cap for that episode.
There are also 2 new battle systems - one is band and other is "moon phase". Band is basically a "combo attack" between 2+ characters that does massive damage but requires the characters all to act the same time so it van be time consuming but sometimes worth it. Moon phase determines how specific menu options (attack, magic, throw etc.) are affected. Some moon phase increases black magic effectiveness while decreasing attack, while another phase will decrease black magic effectiveness and increase white magic etc. this can be a good tactic against bosses and make your party stronger if you decide to abuse the system. Phases changes either by sleeping or just exploring.

overall:8
I really liked the game overall although i felt the designers really wanted you to grind. I ended the game ~60 and still didnt get all the spells and didnt feel like grinding especially the monsters at the end can own you pretty quick if not careful. the story could be better - i would've liked more interaction between the children like ursula/ceodore etc. It is a worthy investment nonetheless.

Alucard
02-01-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm confused a little. You give the story a 9 but then say it could be better?

Seraph
02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I still have to get FF4 TAY

However I am a little weary. I downloaded the demo other squareenix cell phone port, crystal defenders, and the whole thing felt really really cheap.

So my question is: how is the "presentation" of FF4 TAY? Does it give a good sense of polish like a real SNES game, or can you tell it was originally a cell phone game?

shaselai
02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
@alucard
well 9 isnt a 10 so there's room for improvement. But the major thing is at least i didnt feel the story was cheapened in any way like FF X-2...

@ seraph
The presentation is pretty good. I never played the cell phone game so i cant tell the difference in quality but if you played the original this has slightly better graphics and very similar sounds. You could play the main story without ever touching the side ones and you wont feel "empty" but you would question why so and so is there and who is that person. One thing i forgot to mention is the encounter rate... i forgot how often it was in the original FF4 but this game the encounter rate can be as few as 4 steps in between....

shaselai
02-03-2010, 01:16 PM
No more heroes 2 wii

Story- 6
There's really not much story to this at all. Basically you are avenging the death of your friend Bishop and you are starting from the bottom killing your way to the top. There are story intermissions/flash forward etc. but i think it wouldve been better if there was more story on each assassin though.

Graphics - 8
Not sure if it is intentional or not when wielding the beam saber sometimes you see beams just floating around you like lag. The boss designs are very nice and unique but the enemy types could be more... The 8 bit mini games are kinda cool.

Sound - 7.5
Some parts of the levels have pretty cool music while other parts lack music to make the battle go "faster". The sound effects gets very repetitive as well.

Gameplay - 8
The game is basically broken down to this routine:
1. get mission
2. exercise your cat
3. workout to increase stamina and strength
4. work/shop
5. do challenge missions
6. do main mission.
7 repeat

Each dungeon is more or less "kill everything" until you get to the boss. There are quite a few mini games - the cat exercising minigame, the BJ5 video game in your apartment (an aerial shooter), the part-time work minigames and the workout mini games. The part-time work games are mostly in 8-bit, some might be frustrating while some can be pretty good. The workout mini game is your way of "leveling up" - you run on the treadmill without falling off to get stamina increase and hit dumbbells to increase muscle. They can be frustrating but both very doable.

There are 2 shops - one sells 2 weapons and another sells clothes so you can customize travis. Didnt bother with clothing too much though.

The combat in this game can be extremely easy on normal enemies - just keep attacking with the beam saber and that's it. There are gunman who shoots at you and can be kinda annoying if there are more than 1 but not that annoying. You do get wrestling moves but since the saber is so much better there's not much use of those moves. You can "finish" most enemies in a gory mess and get to spin a slot where you get bonus powers for a short while. The boss fights are mostly different - some of them you can hack and slash + evade through while others you need to see a pattern and hack and slash then. Some bosses are plain unfair - especially the ones that shoots at you - since you dont have any invulnerability like other games when falling to the ground after an attack there are instances where you get shot down, get up and shot down again.

The biggest disappointment is the camera - on the first few stages it is not a big deal but on the later stages, especially boss fights it is a huge deal. Basically you can lock on to the enemy but it doesnt restrict you turning so sometimes your back is behind the enemy, plus when you get knocked down your back might be behind the enemy as well and against bosses they basically get a free shot at you while you are getting up and trying to figure out where the boss is. Certainly not a game breaker but certainly very frustrating at times..

overall: 7.375

The game is pretty short (beat <8 hours) and some parts are enjoyable. However, the repetitive combat system, the camera and the lack of story really drove down the score...

Alucard
02-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Hows the story compared to the first one though

shaselai
02-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Hows the story compared to the first one though

I never played the first one but from reading some posts first one seems to be:

Travis got invited by Sylvia to join UAA battle - turned out henry is his brother and travis ended up getting conned by Sylvia - the end.

NMH2 is:
travis's buddy dies and he rejoins UAA (with revenge and sex in mind) to battle to the top to kill the person who called the hit on his friend. He meets henry/shinobu on his way to the top - the end.

so it's for you to decide i guess...

shaselai
02-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Mass Effect 2 (xbox 360)

Story- 9
The premise is that you are a revived Shepherd who is trying to stop an alien group called the collectors from collecting humans and doing XYZ with them. The game connects events from ME1 very well - chars you saved/helped make cameo appearances or just drop an email to thank you again. Since most of the party members are new, the older ones are also mentioned and some play more important parts than others. Besides the relatively short main story there are side stories per companion - most of them pretty decent. There's definitely more events to be continued in ME3.

Graphics - 9
the graphics is decent most of the time but the human models are just a bit off - they look very freakish for some reason... I liked Uncharted 2 models better. The other aliens are good though. there are some graphical glitches (very few) like framerate problems. The worlds are designed very well especially the cities.

Sound - 9
Sound is pretty good most of the time - some old tracks returns but not that many to cheapen the experience. The voice-overs are pretty good most of the time. The dialogues are very amusing as well.

Gameplay - 9
The game is made easier in some parts and harder in other aspects. For starters there are less skills to learn and no more "utility" skills like hacking or decoding,instead you can just hack/decode without using any skills. Each companion has about 5 total skills - 2 unique and 3 class skills - so there's definitely quite a bit of overlap between chars. If you beat the loyalty mission for companion you can learn his/her loyalty skill - some are pretty good. Also some skills/classes are just plain useless for higher difficulties due to shielding/armor etc.

Weapon/armor has been changed as well - only Shepherd can change his armor's look and abilities but there's really not a whole lot of armor pieces to get in the game (maybe 3-4 per piece?) and mostly underwhelming. Weapons are now researched by purchasing from stores or from item boxes and everyone can use the same weapons if their class allows it - this way it reduces buying weapons for all but also there's not many choices.. only like ~3 weapons per type except for heavy weapons which can be only used by shepherd. Also, there's no overheating and you need ammo like FPS - i guess they did it to prevent weapon spamming.

Money is short in this game - you probably cant get all upgrades in one run and you need to scan planets to find side quests and resources to research upgrades/weapons.

the combat is more or less the same except once you use a power you cant use others unlike in ME1. The health system is changed a bit too - it now auto regenerates instead of having to use medkits to heal although you can still do it. You can aim at limbs whatnot but usually the best way is to just aim at the head or the body for quick death.

Overall: 9

The main story is a bit short but fulfilling nevertheless. There's something seriously wrong with what the humans look like in this game - some look like freaks. I missed the "unlimited ammo" from the original game and feel it is too fps now with ammo clips. The weird reasoning for the "new weapon clips" is that you dont need to wait for the weapon to cool but i rather have the "old tech" since i have unlimited ammos compared to not being able to use the gun at all without these "new tech thermal clips". The scanning world thing is OK but i rather have more money to buy everything - theres no way to earn extra money AT ALL since you find money only in quests and there's nothing you can sell to get more money.

Alucard
02-11-2010, 05:21 AM
I hope its a lot better than the first one. Playing the first at the moment but I honestly cant see what the whole fuss is. I can name far more negatives in this game than positives. I'm really not enjoying it and I'm a bit of a long time bioware whore since early days.

memory to zack
02-11-2010, 08:24 AM
What is it you don't like?

Alucard
02-11-2010, 08:52 AM
The main character doesnt really have that much charisma. He's sort of dull. The vehicle is the WORST thing ever designed in a game. Makes the whole point to exploring worlds like a slap in the face. Inventory system is pure shit. The actual control of the player is clumsy and frustrating at times. The story is actually pretty simple despite everything I've heard. Not a fan of the combat style but thats not really bad programming, just preference on my part. I dont know so far the game is very very average. The first half of the game was pure SNORE. I almost uninstalled it 3 times but kept going because friends said it does get better. I'm onto the final mission. I'm still waiting for it to get better.

memory to zack
02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
About the vehicle, equipment and player control I agree as well. About Shepard, I prefer Jennifer Hale (female Shepard) over Mark Meer (male Shepard). Male Shepard sounds a bit ridiculous as Paragon, Renegade suits him better.
You didn't do any extra quests I suppose? Good, because it would involve more Mako and the same 'dungeon' design over and over.

ME2 gets rid of the inventory system and Mako.

Alucard
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Actually yes, I've been doing a lot of the side quests, which I label as PISS POOR in the field of side quests, only because friends told me exploring the random planets was so much fun. I think a needle through the eye would be more fun then this crap. No surprise they got rid of it for the second game.

darren
02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
have you really only just started to play mass effect?

shaselai
02-11-2010, 04:48 PM
About the vehicle, equipment and player control I agree as well. About Shepard, I prefer Jennifer Hale (female Shepard) over Mark Meer (male Shepard). Male Shepard sounds a bit ridiculous as Paragon, Renegade suits him better.
You didn't do any extra quests I suppose? Good, because it would involve more Mako and the same 'dungeon' design over and over.

ME2 gets rid of the inventory system and Mako.

the main char (shepherd) is a punk imo. the paragon/renegade thing is OK but if you still have the decide you want to be a paragon on the THIRD GAME then it is a serious flaw - storywise after 4+ years you still dont know if you want to be good/bad and can seemingly switch on the fly?

also i loved the inventory system - what they did now seems like a cop out more than anything else. Too many restrictions imo in this game - they are simplifying things too much

Alucard
02-12-2010, 12:14 AM
have you really only just started to play mass effect?

Yeah. And I got hassled into playing it now instead of a little later like I planned. Playing console and pc games both sort of screws me. I make a list of games I want to play and play them as I get them. Rarely do I drop everything to play the latest greatest. I'll get to it sooner or later. I'm kicking myself for letting me break my rule by playing this THING early. I've got better games in the lineup to finish. I see mass effect as a waste of time over all.

memory to zack
02-12-2010, 04:43 AM
the main char (shepherd) is a punk imo. the paragon/renegade thing is OK but if you still have the decide you want to be a paragon on the THIRD GAME then it is a serious flaw - storywise after 4+ years you still dont know if you want to be good/bad and can seemingly switch on the fly?

also i loved the inventory system - what they did now seems like a cop out more than anything else. Too many restrictions imo in this game - they are simplifying things too much

The problem was that if you weren't reselling inventory often, you would get filled with duplicates of the same weapons and upgrades. You'd reach easily max money and buy everything so easily.

That's why I play my femshep full paragon, my maleshep full renegade. That way main char has a 'sane' personality throughout the three games.

shaselai
02-13-2010, 12:52 PM
The problem was that if you weren't reselling inventory often, you would get filled with duplicates of the same weapons and upgrades. You'd reach easily max money and buy everything so easily.

That's why I play my femshep full paragon, my maleshep full renegade. That way main char has a 'sane' personality throughout the three games.

thats why i think they skipped out on improving the inventory system. You cant customize your companion's armor at all - they get a couple of upgrades but nothing superficial. Also the weapon selection is so much fewer than the original's. This game also doesnt give you any way to make more money so you wont be able to buy everything available. Plus they made the skills really lame - instead of customizing your weapons like before with ammo now ammo is a skill which is not very imaginative at all. And the fact that most of the classes are useless on higher difficulties (due to powers needing no armor etc.).

Paper exe
02-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah. And I got hassled into playing it now instead of a little later like I planned. Playing console and pc games both sort of screws me. I make a list of games I want to play and play them as I get them. Rarely do I drop everything to play the latest greatest. I'll get to it sooner or later. I'm kicking myself for letting me break my rule by playing this THING early. I've got better games in the lineup to finish. I see mass effect as a waste of time over all.

Almost going to mention that. You break your rule! lol
I am retarded too you know. I started Dragon Age before neverwinter night. I cannot stop playing it but still feel bad for not starting the older game first.

OMG I just figured out. I'll play them both on the same time. That with Tales of Abyss, Crono Trigger (first time playing it) Monster Hunter 2G and...wait! I am supposed t beat Tales of Eternia before starting Abyss!! I'll play that too. Only one week left must beat them all. Must not fail.

Well excuse me for now I am off starting Neverwinter Night.

shaselai
02-13-2010, 06:02 PM
playing white knight chronicles/bioshock 2 currently... wkc is OK and when i play i cant wait for the game to be over....

shaselai
02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
oh yeah any suggestions on making future reviews? maybe include sub sections like the good, the bad etc?

Alucard
02-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Actually good idea.

shaselai
02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
White knight chronicles PS3

Story- 8
the plot is the kingdom of Balandor has been invaded and a kid(Leonard) activates an ancient relic by accident and became the White Knight. The princess got kidnapped and Leonard embarked on a crusade to rescue her - typical horny teen.

good:
Since this game is supposed to be a trilogy there is quite a bit of story in it and there are lots of loose ends so it is pretty good. The story is not too predictable and there are some decent surprises.

bad:
the story is very cliched. This game has a lot of obvious betrayals especially the camera always focuses on the person making evil grins. Some "named characters" never got explored much and some scenes doesnt make a lot of sense (it is a trilogy though)

Graphics - 9
Good:

I think the graphics is very good. The world is HUGE and the scenery are very well done. The characters are done well too - a lot of different races and interesting folks all over. the knights and the enemies are pretty nice looking as well.

Bad:
Sometimes when the characters speak their lips dont move or dont match well with what they are saying. Also, the monster collection could be a little bigger- some monsters are redone with diff color or minor changes like the difference between the boar and the jackal is the boar has tusks...

Sound - 9
Good:
voice acting is overall very good. music is very good as well - a decent variety of soundtracks for bosses, towns etc.

Bad:
combat battle is the same so it gets old after a while...

Gameplay - 8
There are 8 "skill trees" where it corresponds to weapons and magic. Most characters have 6 trees he/she can use. Each tree you can learn new attacks to use. Most attacks uses action points and you accrue them by attacking and/or taking damage. The combat is like FF12 but seems to be slower. You can chain attacks together provided you have enough AC. You can also turn into a knight by using AC as well - then you will stay as a knight until your MP is gone (all attack by knight uses MP) or enemies killed.

This game also has an avatar as a character - he is mostly used online but he is there in the party at all time. Your avatar can make his own virtual town and invite residents over to help you build - interesting feature. There are also quests you can partake (solo or online multi) to increase your guild ranking.

Good:
Lots of different weapon sets you can select per character like magic, axe,sword,spear etc. different variety of party settings.

Bad:
Ai is OK but not that great. the avatar is just there - no story involvement at all. The virtual town is a nice concept but needs too much grinding to make it worth it. The guild quests are nice BUT they are designed for multiplayer so if you have no friends you have to go "offline" solo and a quest with L8+ sugg suddenly becomes L16 difficulty because you are alone taking on what 3 people wouldve faced. It is unfortunate you can have party members for offline run.

overall:8.5
This is a trilogy so there's always room for improvement. the story is not bad although a bit cliched. The battle system needs a bit work but not horrible. I read the sequel your avatar will get his/her knight too so it might be interesting. I also hope the quests are more single player friendly than it is now.

murray
02-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Graphics 9?

shaselai
02-14-2010, 08:04 PM
yeah i think it is very good graphically.

darren
02-15-2010, 02:25 AM
how comes so high compared to the gameranking average (69%) .. even rpgamer only gave it 2.5/5 and they are probebley the only people i trust when it comes to reviewing rpgs these days.

did you not have an issues with the bugs or interface issues people moaned about?

from whats been written about this else where this could be one of the biggest let downs of the years after the great first showing back in 06

how long did it take you to finish it? i've read 30 hours ish?

Alucard
02-15-2010, 02:41 AM
I like your new format but I think you should merge the old style with the new. Do your reviews like you did before and at the end have a summary of your thoughts for good and bad.

shaselai
02-15-2010, 11:28 PM
how comes so high compared to the gameranking average (69%) .. even rpgamer only gave it 2.5/5 and they are probebley the only people i trust when it comes to reviewing rpgs these days.

did you not have an issues with the bugs or interface issues people moaned about?

from whats been written about this else where this could be one of the biggest let downs of the years after the great first showing back in 06

how long did it take you to finish it? i've read 30 hours ish?

i am not sure what bugs they were talking about but i noticed couple of minor things:

when party members leave you can still "give" them items - minor thing really. Also the interface is a bit annoying but not really a bug though. I dont think it was a letdown really although again some minor improvements would be nice. Mass effect 2 is more of a letdown for me - cheapened the original experience with more fps elements, crap inventory and customization totally lame.

probably taken me 20ish i think. mainly because i didnt do many of the side quests as i went solo and those needed excessive grinding if not playing with others.

murray
02-16-2010, 02:38 AM
That is hilarious. I can no longer take anything you say seriously. So far you have said the inventory system in ME1 is good, called it an FPS, complained about the way ME2 let's you go about chosing your path and said WKC is a 9 graphically.c'mon. Mass Effect 2 stripped the awful inventory and customisation in favour for the bits of the game that matter, action, story and actual role playing, making moral decisions, building relationships... Not comparing numbers and spending hours in menus.

I need to be careful here or somebody is going to use the opinion defense that gets wheeled out every so often. It's cool if that's what you think, I think the earth is flat.

Alucard
02-16-2010, 05:00 AM
Playing with numbers and stuff is one thing. ME1's inventory is a totally different story. It was pure shit to begin with. I dont know how they agreed to that design, much less the god awful moon buggy that defies all form of gravity.

murray
02-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Yeah they should be applauded for stripping out shit like that, makes for a more cinematic experience.

A lot of RPG conventions exist because they evolved in many ways from board/dice games, the amount if horsepower available today means conducting affairs in menus etc seems archaic and not where the genre should be headed.

Alucard
02-16-2010, 06:38 AM
It depends on the game. Things like the Neverwinter Nights series work perfectly and actually benefit from it.

shaselai
02-16-2010, 08:56 PM
That is hilarious. I can no longer take anything you say seriously. So far you have said the inventory system in ME1 is good, called it an FPS, complained about the way ME2 let's you go about chosing your path and said WKC is a 9 graphically.c'mon. Mass Effect 2 stripped the awful inventory and customisation in favour for the bits of the game that matter, action, story and actual role playing, making moral decisions, building relationships... Not comparing numbers and spending hours in menus.

I need to be careful here or somebody is going to use the opinion defense that gets wheeled out every so often. It's cool if that's what you think, I think the earth is flat.

The inventory in ME1 was not that bad. The ME2's lack of inventory is pretty awful. You dont get to do much of anything in customization at all. Each char might have up to 5-6 weapons to use the entire game (unless i missed something..) and they cant customize it at all. The soldier class is just a cop out - yeah lets make all the bullet elements and make it a soldier class!!! The main story is still a bit weak though - yes you can do loyalty quests to get more understanding about the companions but that is really irrelevant main storywise. I like stories that has a lot of main stuff than a bunch of side stuff. Graphics is really dependent on the grader though - you might think WKC deserve less and i can imagine why. I explained why i thought ME2's graphics rating was what it was. Maybe i should grade harder from now on heh.

Also about the path choosing in ME2, i didnt say it was bad i just said if they allow you to do it in ME3 it is kinda weird considering after all the decisions you make during the first 2 games...

shaselai
02-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Bioshock 2 -P3S

Story- 9
The story takes place 10 years after the original and you play as a big daddy in search of your lost little sister Elenore. You meet mostly new people with a couple of old characters. The story makes a lot of references to the previous game but i guess due to them not thinking of making a sequel when B1 was released, there was no reference to the chars in B2 from B1.

Graphics - 9
Overall graphics better than last game and little sisters dont look so messed up as before. Most enemy types makes a return and sadly that makes the game more of a facelift of many enemies than a lot of new ones although big sister does look very awesome.. The levels are all different so no "blast from the past" levels.

Sound - 9.5
Voice acting is very good, music is also very good although i think B1 had more scary scenes with music than this one though. Not much complaining here. There are many voice scenes throughout the game while you are just moving around - it is pretty interesting and a good way to move the story ahead.

Gameplay - 9
As a big daddy you can use plasmids while blasting away with an array of weapons, mostly new stuff since you are a big daddy now. The plasmids are probably 50% new and 50% old. You get a bigger selection of passive tonic powers and there are many old ones as well as quite a few new ones - some from you being a big daddy.

Each level is very big and very linear as well. Basically each section is goal oriented like "fetch this key" or "pull this lever". Some goals are even idiotic like "get a ticket"... why you could hop over or just bash the door open with your drill is beyond me heh...

Overall:9.125
The good:
overall very good game, not many flaws throughout playing the game.

Bad:
enemies are repetitive and mostly rehashes from before but not a huge deal considering you are still in the same city so you can have total new enemies..

New section:
Rants: (note it contains major spoilers including ending(s)).

After beating the game i am not sure how big daddy died or perhaps he didnt. Elenore couldve saved him but instead sucked out his Adam and let him die??? Also, how exactly do normal people there survive with splicers running around and how do they not starve to deat? Unless there's a group of people which you dont see who are making food it is weird how people can stay alive down there being druggies and all.

Alucard
02-16-2010, 10:18 PM
All the people I know who played that said the story wasnt that good, definitely lower then the first one. They also said it was kinda average. I havent played it yet but will get around to it down the line.

shaselai
02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
All the people I know who played that said the story wasnt that good, definitely lower then the first one. They also said it was kinda average. I havent played it yet but will get around to it down the line.

i can see why they think so. the story is certainly a bit different and as i mentioned there's not a lot of "continuity" since they probably didnt decide to make a sequel thus the new villain is a "brand new character". However, through the voice recordings and narratives throughout the game i think it is pretty good. the game is very much the same as B1 with prettier graphics and somewhat better sound. i think analogy is like those halo games - more of the same with some tweaks and perhaps better story in halo than B2 but you get my point hopefully.

Alucard
02-16-2010, 10:43 PM
I cant say anything about the graphics but a friend playing on the pc version said they didnt even bother trying to upscale the textures. Its the same engine.

memory to zack
02-17-2010, 09:11 AM

I agree with what you say. We shouldn't be making arithmetical comparisons of damage, weapons, etc... if we don't want. Factual comparison should be enough.

Bioware is trying to appeal to all types of gamers and have so far achieved that with their ME, DA franchises. One point that is missing though is bridging the gap between the oldschool RPGs and their current ones. DA: O is very number-oriented and ME2 lacks in character building.

An example of why numbers can be advantageous/disadvantageous: Seeing numbers all around removes immersion for some people and lower digits are useless (700 or 760 damage, what gives? Order of damage is the important thing). At the same if you read what damage you deal, then you'll quicker realize that there's smthg wrong with your new weapon.

shaselai
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
but it is not like ME2 has a huge story though. The main storyline is still relatively short. Sure you can do all the side stuff but they are mostly irrelevant to the main story so it's not like ME2 went up a notch from ME1 in story.

murray
02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
They are so far from irrelevant, in fact the side quests in this game are more relevant than in any other game before...ever, for several reasons. There were loads of side quests in ME which had impact on ME2 and I'm sure your actions in side quests in 2 will effect 3. And most importantly, you have to do side quests to get your team loyal and get enough upgrades to survive the suicide mission, your squad don't just die because you sent them to do the wrong jobs, they die because of a mixture of things, ship upgrades, loyalty, weapon upgrades and how you assign them during the suicide mission. Its possible to have nobody survive, including Shepherd, and still complete the game. All of this will have a big impact on ME3.

To say they are irrelevant in a game where your decisions have the potential to massively influence ME3 experience is very short sighted.

Out of curiosity how many of your team lived and did you save the crew?

I agree with what you say. We shouldn't be making arithmetical comparisons of damage, weapons, etc... if we don't want. Factual comparison should be enough.

For me the issue is more the fact that the whole stat based thing is a hangover from dice games and role playing board games, we don't need to express things in such perfunctory manner anymore.

shaselai
02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
You have to do side quests to get your team loyal and get enough upgrades to survive the suicide mission. Its possible to have nobody survive including Shepherd and still complete the game.

How many of your team lived btw and did you save the crew?

yes the only person died in my crew were... SPOILER ALERT!!!

Some random engineers/crew during the attack on Normandy 2. Kelly when she got smoothied

I beat everything there and yes loyalty plays a role but not neccessary. Plus the AI isnt that smart (although better than ME1)

murray
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Loyality isn't "irrelevant", it's relevant because it effects the outcome of the game. It's also "necessary" to get them loyal if you want them to survive. Side quests are also relevant and necessary from a narrative stance, they're used to both prove you give a shit which later can effect their fate and also encourage you to invest in them emotionally.

Incidentally, if Shepherd dies you cannot import a save of any description into ME3.

shaselai
02-17-2010, 06:52 PM
yes the loyalty affects the story but you dont have to do them all so they are more of side quests than main ones - the game doesnt even require you to get everyone (i think only 3-4 then you can go directly to last part of game). Yes the biggest reason i did finish all the side stuff is because of how things are affected later on. But in the big picture you would want to form team asap and kill the bad guy rather than doing errands and "police" the galaxy. I think having a time limit of some sort would have been nice - it is not like shepherd is the only specter around nor the only guy who could save people.

murray
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
lol Apparently the time you spend between being able to go through the relay and actually doing it effects who lives and dies too.

If we follow your argument to its logical conclusion then the game would be...wake up, get told to stop the Collectors and then just going and doing it, it would be an hour long.

shaselai
02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
lol Apparently the time you spend between being able to go through the relay and actually doing it effects who lives and dies too.

If we follow your argument to its logical conclusion then the game would be...wake up, get told to stop the Collectors and then just going and doing it, it would be an hour long.

well thats one reason i dont like too open ended games. Yes the total hours will be equal to a traditional rpg where it is more linear but to me at least is not as fulfilling main story wise. Dont want it to be extremely linear but linear enough that most of the hours are in the main story rather than side/optional stuff. This is one big difference between american and japanese rpgs and it is more personal taste imo...

Alucard
02-18-2010, 02:53 AM
I've always enjoyed games where quests actually affect things. All the way back to the glorious days of Fallout 1-2 and other 90s games.

shaselai
02-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Dante's inferno PS3 "divine version".

Story 7.5

Let's face it, this is a hack and slash game and it really doesnt have a lot of story. Basically you are a crusader who after coming home find your wife and father killed. Worse yet a demon has captured your wife and you embark on a journey to hell to get her back. There are shades or "lost souls" who has his/her own story from different mythologies which is kinda interesting. There are a couple of surprises in the story but there's just not a whole lot of story. Also there is gonna be a sequel :)

Sound 7.5
Nothing too memorable and nothing too annoying either. Music is not too repetitive so that is good. The voice acting is ok overall and dante sounds like gerard butler from 300 heh...

graphics 8
It is kinda new since i havent seen many games with the circles of hell as the design. Sure GOW2 had hades but it was brief - this game is filled with it so i like its originality. The levels are mostly interesting but due to the level design it doesnt deliver great stuff throughout. The cg movies are nice and the animation is kinda interesting but i wished they had more of it though. The monsters are generally fine - maybe 10+ or so regular enemies and about each other level/circle has a boss. The big bosses are interesting but the smaller ones are OK.

gameplay 7
I know people say this is a GOW ripoff but so are every fps ripoff of whatever older fps there is right? Basically you have 2 skill trees- unholy or holy. Unholy is more melee and damaging spell skills while holy is more cross(ranged) and some support skills. With the way the game is designed you can only max out one skill tree and maybe get to L4(out of 7) on the other tree. So it caters to ranged or melee players. You also get relics which are items that can add enhancements - they are also broken into unholy/holy so you might not be able to use some of them in one walkthrough.

The combat is pretty much gow - with lots of qtes. One thing which i didn't like is the camera or lack there of. Some angles might get really awkward and no camera support really sucks. also in combat you can sometime attack guys outside the angle so you might not see what you are hitting. But overall it is OK

Overall:7.5
liked:
the circles of hell and level designs. Some character models like beatrice and the bull deamon.

didnt like:
no camera really sucked, the story is OK but could be better.

rant:spoiler

Beatrice is really idiotic. She accepts dante's apology of "i came down to hell what else you want from me" after he basically cheated on her, got her brother killed, got his dad killed, got her killed. at least her demon form looks better...

Alucard
02-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Its a shame everyones finding this game so mediocre. I was hoping for more.

murray
02-19-2010, 02:32 AM
If only it were half as good as he descirbed it.

shaselai
02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
it is interesting though. The plot is not that great but it is a fun rental. and metacritic has it at 75 so it's not like i am way out there.

shaselai
02-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Due to popular demand i am doing movie reviews too... since probably not good idea to make another thread i will do them here...

Movie - Percy jackson and the lightning thief

Story: 6.5
Basically greek mythology is not dead and the gods do exist and they have been planting their seeds around the world. Zeus has lost his lightning bolt and immediately blames Poseidon's son percy solely because poseidon is the only god among the 3 brothers (zeus,poseidon,hades) with a kid and thus it is possible poseidon wants to kill zeus for the supreme ruler. Zeus gave percy 14 days to bring the lightning bolt back or he will start war on earth. Percy with his 2 friends ends up going on a quest to NOT find the lightning bolt so he can save the world....

acting: 6
The protagonists are not very bright at all and here are just some instances. Instead of trying to talk to zeus about the situation Percy instead goes off to rescue his mom - nice son except the world would be destroyed in 14 days so rescuing his mom should be on the backburner... Percy's friend/protector Grover the satyr (man goat) pretends to be on crutches all the time actually doesnt need crutches at all. However, once percy knows he is faking the guy is still pretending to be on crutches even when they are alone - why he wants to handicap (no pun intended) himself on the quest is mind-boggling.

Picture: 8
decent special effects. Gods wear "modern" clothing on earth but on olympus they wear togas. Some creatures like medusa, fury, hydra are done very well. some epic battle scenes as well.

Music: 7
Nothing annoying and nothing really catchy either.

overall 6.88

I guess people who read the book might like it but i certainly didnt. The gods are idiotic and the protagonists are idiots too. the only smart one here is the antagonist and he/she ends up being idiotic at the end:

Instead of letting the remaining few minutes to run out by flying as far as he can so the idiotic zeus can start the war, he/she instead chose to fight and lose....

Alucard
02-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Ok I'm shocked you played that. Just how much money do you waste on games?

darren
02-22-2010, 03:17 AM
why use 2 decimal places on the the score?

Shorty0061
02-22-2010, 03:18 AM
its just not good enough compared to 6.9 or 6.89 material

Paper exe
02-22-2010, 03:32 AM
I tried Danat Inferno demo and it sucked badly for me at lest. And I dared to mock God of war at some points. That game became brilliant in my stander after trying these stuff.

shaselai
02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Ok I'm shocked you played that. Just how much money do you waste on games?

this is the movie if you are referring to percy jackson..

shaselai
02-22-2010, 07:36 PM
story: N/A
you are just a newb DJ so there's really nothing here...

graphics: 9
Both of the games have mostly anime like graphics - some are just background pics while others are animations. There are also some western inspirations as well. Overall it is very good graphics wise for the psp.

sound: 10
Well this is a musical game and many tracks are very memorable. There are more vocal tracks than non-vocal which is very good. There are quite a few DJs in making these tracks so it is not just one guy so diversity is very nice. The vocals are mostly in korean though so if you dont know korean you might not know what they are singing about. Titles are mostly in english though or with english subtitles.

Gameplay: 9
This is a review of the combo package (couldve easily broken the 2 but they are too similar..) - even in the product overview they hinted the Claz. being the "easy" version while black square is the harder one and they weren't kidding! Basically both games has similar gameplay options - Club Tour which is like DDR games where you need to beat missions to advance to the next level/club etc. Arcade where you just play whatever and also link disc for multiplaer. There is also music collection you can check out the songs which is very nice.

The game has songs varying in "beats" - 2 beat, 4 beat, 4EX beat, 5 beat, 6 beat. They basically represent how many buttons are involved in the song - so 6 beats means you will have 6 buttons to press during the game. You can set your difficulty to easy/hard but it seems the Club Tour game has it on normal/default since it is mission based. The clubtour is where you can get more DJ icons, effectors (extra options to make game easier), beat icons etc. In Claz. version you just need to beat some levels in a club to advance to the next one while in Black square you seem to have to beat all the levels to advance. Most of the levels are "beat this song on difficulty X" and some has 3-4 songs to test endurance. There are also clubs where you do DJ battle - basically these are the toughest in the sense you have solid requirements like "get 400 combos" or my least favorite "get beats above X%". The game is very forgiving in terms of you timing the beats - you can get anywhere from 100% to like 2% in the timing of beats and they keep track of the average % as you go. This is also problematic for some missions where they want you to have 95% beats which almost means you have to score mostly 100% and 90% since there's no 95%. Needless to say i am stuck on blackbox's dj level with my dj ranking of 190 (out of 200) and also stuck on DJ level of 170(out of 200) on Coz.

Overall:9.3
Overall this combo package is great value (basically 2 games for 20-30$ less than buying ind. games) but the difficulty of the club tour really turned me off. Maybe i just suck at this game and some others can do better heh. I do love most of the songs and the backgrounds are very nice as well. Great pick-me-up game as well.

SpaceManSpiff
02-23-2010, 09:10 AM
its just not good enough compared to 6.9 or 6.89 material

It's really more like 6.882 if you want to get technical.

Dj Jimmi Zero
02-23-2010, 02:36 PM
DJM:C is based off of the Korean pop group Clazziquai like Guitar Hero Metallica. Clazziquai is basically your beginners entry into the DJ Max series. I have an extra copy of DJ Max Portable 2 to sell if your interested shaselai.

darren
02-23-2010, 02:43 PM
It's really more like 6.882 if you want to get technical.

you missed a few 6.8828876554455677886656443222

shaselai
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
DJM:C is based off of the Korean pop group Clazziquai like Guitar Hero Metallica. Clazziquai is basically your beginners entry into the DJ Max series. I have an extra copy of DJ Max Portable 2 to sell if your interested shaselai.

i got the djmax portable 2. Clazziquai is still tough although i think it is more enjoyable than black square. One downside for Clazziquai is it doesnt load IF my memory card (16gb) is in it - but if i take it out and wait for the game to load then put it in it is fine...

shaselai
02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Last rebellion - PS3 RPG

Story - 6
Basically you and your king has been killed by your best friend. You have been revived by a Sealer (someone who can seal souls) and you try to stop your best friend from releasing the seals to the god Formival (who is the god of life). The catch of your revival is that you and the sealer now shares the same body so only one can appear in the world at one time. It is also noted that you represent goddes of death Milkhilla. The reason god of life seems to be the "bad guy" is because he has the power to revive the dead including monsters and that is kinda bad for the human population you know....

The characters are mostly not that interesting but they are semi intelligent so it's not like a bunch of idiots..

Tons of spoiler plot analysis:

The story is basically your best friend lost his lover from a war and he is set to release Formival's powers so he can revive her. The king knew about it and let himself killed so that when Formival's power does get released he can then be killed so no more revivals EVER. The plot is not about world domination but about a person who wants to revive his lover and a king who wants to get rid of never-ending cycle of life.

Sound 6.5
The combat music can get boring pretty quick - only 4-5 different types and the random encounter is always the same. Sound effects are few out of combat. You dont hear much sound effects (walking, environment sounds etc.) but the dungeon music is not bad.

graphics 6.5
I dont think the direction of the graphics is bad. The characters are anime like which is not bad at all. The cutscenes are done with anime like still shots which is OK given the art direction i suppose. The world itself is a bit dry. Considering you are from a castle and you travel to another city, there's no townsfolk to speak of unless you count those midget things townsfolks? Another huge drawback is the monster design. the monsters themselves are OK but there are only like 10 unique designs. There are many monsters but each dungeon is usually 2-3 unique designs. You can see orc magician, orc knight, orc but they all share the same design with maybe a small change (size/color) here and there but that's not acceptable. If there are 20ish unique designs i think i give it 1 more point.

gameplay 6

due to story elements you control essentially 2 characters in one body. What this means is you share exp,hp,mp,cp, stats etc. There are equitable accessories to make each char unique (like increase damage etc.). The basic turn involves you selecting what actions you want your chars to do and basically you as a group go first or the monsters (depending on speed). There are two ways to deal damage - attacking different body parts of monsters or casting magic. When you attack body parts they get "stamped" so your magic can hit them - otherwise your offensive magic wont be able to do anything. If you get a correct sequence of hitting the body parts you get "bingo" bonus to exp/item drops and the stamped parts last longer - it is not required to find the correct sequence at all.

Due to story elements you cant "kill" the monsters unless you seal their souls so when you make them unconscious you have 1-2 turns to seal them or they come back to life full health and tougher - this could be a good thing if you want to level gain but if you get too greedy you might not come out alive....

The encounter rates can be quite high as monsters regenerate rather quickly and if they see you they will eventually catch you unless you are "running"(using the spell). Finally the worst part of this innovative gameplay is that since you are playing as one person all the alignment effects happens on BOTH chars so if you get paralyze both your char gets paralyzed which can be pretty bad. Also, there's no shops and you find items only through chests (some are reopenable with more keys) so items can be quite scarce... You gain MP/HP back by absorbing (MP) or sealing (HP) monsters - it really wasnt too much of a problem..

Overall:6.25

I think the game is OK. a bit short for RPG but i was glad when it was over. The plot is OK and i think it couldve been better with more chars though. Gameplay was a innovative but some parts really made it annoying. I think if the monsters were more diverse and the gameplay made better it couldve gotten ~8.

murray
02-28-2010, 02:51 PM
lets call it a 6 :wink:

darren
02-28-2010, 03:11 PM
nah .. 6.2555555555

shaselai
02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
hah

darren
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Seriously tho. Ign gave this a 3 and they score high for most stuff ... Rpgamer.com gave it 1.5/5.

You would really give it an 8 with more diverse mobs?

murray
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
An IGN 3 in real terms is a -1

shaselai
03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Seriously tho. Ign gave this a 3 and they score high for most stuff ... Rpgamer.com gave it 1.5/5.

You would really give it an 8 with more diverse mobs?

i might give it ~8 or maybe just 7.5 if gameplay and graphics improve. The game is not horrid - it is just OK. From my review categories the only part they could've improved on are sound, gameplay and graphics. I think the overall graphics is OK just need more diversity, again gameplay is unique - not your normal turn based combat so i give it some props. But again if they had fixed a couple of things the combat couldve been decent.

darren
03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
whats the story like then? with it being an rpg its kinda the most important thing, all the reviews i've seen have simply described it as awful

rpgamer really did hold back .. lol

At least as far as Last Rebellion has a story, anyways. This is a tale better left untold. Not only is it written poorly, but it's also told poorly and translated poorly, a triple whammy of putrescence that nobody in their right mind will be able to care about. The characters are bland and uninteresting, and change their personalities so often that it just becomes confusing. Nine goes from being an apathetic whiner to a vicious vigilante in half a second. The plot makes sense in that you can generally figure out what's going on, but important facts that weren't even mentioned when they occurred are regularly pulled out of thin air to drive the story forward and explain the insane and nonsensical machinations of Alfred and other villainous characters. It doesn't help that all of this is told through cutscenes, and I use the term loosely, that consist of static images and character portraits, accompanied by awful voice acting of weak and awkward dialogue.

shaselai
03-02-2010, 05:47 PM
i did spoiler alert a part of the story. Again it is not the typical "world domination" or "annihilate everything" in RPGs so it was in that aspect kinda refreshing. The plot does not affect people globally in the sense that it takes place in a country between 2 kingdoms (unless those are the only kingdoms in existence)

shaselai
03-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Kingdom hearts 385/2 days Nintendo DS

Story - 8
You play as Roxas, a new recruit to the organization 13. You meet new friends and performs tasks given by the top dogs of the organization - mostly involving gathering hearts since you seem to be the only one who can gather hearts.... Axel, a fire elemental member(seen from KH2) and xion, another new member are your friends and the story revolves around the 3. It has slight references to characters from KH2 and also chars from disney movies as well. I can't really expand much in the nonspoiler part. If you have played KH2 you will probably know the "ending" of this game....

Heavy spoilage -

Basically Roxas is sora's nobody and xion is a replica who is supposed to absorb Roxas so the organization can keep Sora asleep while controlling Xion who will be able to have all of Sora's powers. Sora doesnt find out until the end although Axel knew but didnt want to tell him about Xion. In the end Xion got killed by Roxas and Roxas got taken out by Riku and leads to the beginning of KH2. It is good story overall but it is quite sad and "predictable" if you have played KH2

Sound 7.5
The music is not bad but it is very unoriginal since most of the tracks are recycled from KH2. Worlds like beast castle, twilight town etc. has the same soundtracks as the other game - even boss fights. There might have been a couple of original tracks but overall i cant give it a high score for recycling.

graphics 8.5
The graphics is not bad for DS game. The animated scenes are done well. Some of the monsters are nice but the selection is not that big. There are variation of flowers, flying wizards, big guys etc. - kinda like Last Rebellion. The stages are well designed although again a bit unoriginal since it is recycled from other KH game. There is a handful of worlds to explore - i think none were "new".

gameplay 8
This is one game where i wished i had the analog stick from psp rather than the d pad. most of the time the d pad is OK in maneuvering but some stages like the ones you need to fly can be quite frustrating. Battle is like other kingdom hearts- you have magic/item usage on the fly and attacks like the old games so it is not bad.

The game has a shop that offers items to buy (using hearts) and to synthesize (using materials + cash) that is dependent on your rank (you gain as story moves forward). The equipment system is a panel system where you can drag panels onto available panel space to customize magic, weapon etc. When you level up you get level up panels that you have to put into the panel to actually receive the level up. Overall not a bad system. There are also a ton of abilities like high jump, dashing etc. that you can equip as well.

Overall:8.00

This game is decent. It is well thought out although a bit rehashed. It might be a bit letdown if you know the story of KH2 already so you can pretty much know what is going to happen. The game has a couple of parts where the controls becomes very frustrating but overall the gameplay is decent.

Paper exe
03-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Good review but...couldn't you think of any other way to tell the story without the spoiler tag? As far as I read, your comment reverse around some of the must notable twists and on the end, or the final result of all these events. These maybe the must notable events but not really what I did call "the story" of the game. You could have just mentioned the prelogie and then later set people excited by notifying some of the good features of the base of story, and the bad once too if you had any in mind. It is up to the player to reveal and progress the story.

There is no point for any one to read it. if the person didn't play the game he did lose interest, while if he did he wouldn't normally care because he already know all that that is written.

How a story ends doesn't make a story. It is rather the events, characters and the way the story is told. A story might have a horrible ending but be very good. Must story out there are made up and aren't designed for any purpose other than bold entertainment.

Alucard
03-06-2010, 02:54 AM
All praise paper and his infinite knowledge!

shaselai
03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
i think it is just the structure of the game. There's no "goal" in the game besides "get some hearts". In other games you have a goal early on - like save the princess, kill some bad guy etc. The story here moves in small chunks and make many references to others. you really dont know whats going on till later game.