PDA

View Full Version : Mandy's Review Thread

Yoshi Girl
02-20-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm doing reviews on the site now, so here I will link it here when I post new ones. I know no one cares about the site, but whatever I will pretend that you guys are supportive.

Civilization Revolutions
(http://www.girlsentertainmentnetwork.com/video-game-review-civilization-revolution/)

Alucard
02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
BOO for reviewing the console version!

Einhander
02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Yay for not doing the PC version!

\(^^)/

Alucard
02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Kill yourself again!

SuperAngelo64
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
\(^^)/

Yoshi Girl
09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Unless you live in a complete media blackhole (which you don't, since I see you're on the internet right now), then you're probably aware The Beatles Rockband recently hit the market, and baby boomers everywhere are stealing their children's consoles. There's been a lot of hype surrounding this edition of Rockband and not everyone is happy with commemorating such a prolific band through a video game. Musicians everywhere are groaning about how plastic guitars and wannabe singers are ruining the aura of The Beatles. Others are more than excited to be able to play, share and experience The Beatles through a new medium.

If you're familiar with the Rockband or Guitar Hero franchises, then the general gameplay is nothing new. What is new is vocal harmonizations, which is awesome. On my first play through I played guitar or bass, but constantly found myself singing along. Songs range from one to three part harmony and although you're not required to have two or three singers, you do get extra bonuses if you provide the harmony. Star power is now called "Beatlemania" and results in high-pitch, screaming girls. The first few venues are live concerts, similar to the previous editions' scenarios. In the form of true Beatles history, later in their career the touring stopped and they only recorded in the studio. During these sequences, the background results in several LSD induced clips, which became more of a distraction than anything. The Rockband version of "I am the Walrus" includes all of The Beatles wearing walrus suits and making you wonder if the producers had thing for furries. WTF were they thinking with that one? It was borderline creepy. I also didn't get the challenges, which esentially are just a setlist of each chapter, and you need to five-star every song to get the maximum achievement. But wait -- I just played the entire series and five-starred all the songs when I went though story mode. I don't get it.

When I first heard about The Beatles Rockband I was worried they guitar riffs would be too easy. They were. Albeit I still am not playing on Expert, I did five star several songs on Hard, and that doesn't happen for me usually. I also played bass on Expert, which was a first for me. Drums are a whole other story: I still can't play them. Granted the guitar progressions rise in difficulty as the game (and The Beatles) grows, the real challenge and experience is in the vocals. The dissonant harmonies can be hard to find on your first attempt and unless you've had experience in choral or other vocal work, having others singing harmony can throw off the lead singer as well.

As for song selection, I was pretty underwhelmed. I'm no crazed Beatle fan, but I know my fair share and although I'm leaps and bounds ahead of my roommate (who didn't even know a) who John Lennon was and b) that he was assassinated) I found myself wondering where some of the greatist hits were. Among many of my favorites, "Hey Jude" and "If I Fell" were both left out. "If I Fell" isn't exactly one of The Beatles most popular songs, however; the vocals are amazing and it would have been an excellent selection for a vocal feature. I am hoping it will come out on DLC soon. Speaking of DLC, right now the only song that is available is "All You Need Is Love," with a portion of the sales going to charity. Not hip to Beatles history either? Don't worry, each time you unlock a photo (by earning 3 and 5 stars on songs), you get a bit of history.

Overall, I am pleased with The Beatles Rockband. With it's familiar tunes and popular fanbase, it's a guarenteed hit at parties and can cater to a wide range of ages, likely never seen before as far as rhythm games go. Will The Beatles Rockband bring back some of the hysteria that surrounded them in the 60's? Probably not to that extent, but it's certainly fun to pretend.

Drunken Savior
09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I really want this game. George Harrison is one of my personal heros. The quality that Harmox put into this game is more like a personal loveletter to the Beatles (and their fans) than a jump in game design, but whatev.' I have moved on from being our band's guitarist to our singer so I'm way excited to sing all these songs.

Nice review!

darren
09-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Will The Beatles Rockband bring back some of the hysteria that surrounded them in the 60's? .

i don't think it was ever intended to .. just another form for the beatles money making machine creaming even more money from the zillions of fans

Drunken Savior
09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Well, the RockBand game and the remastered set being released on 9.9.09 is definitely recapturing some of the magic. The Beatles are pretty serious about their image and control of their catalog. A game like The Beatles Rock Band isn't exactly just a huge setlist of songs, it's a complete retelling of the Beatles history as a band through their music.

darren
09-11-2009, 01:51 AM
totally agree is a recapturing of the magic .. and tbh i can't . i love the beatles .. but forme its for the massive existing fan base .. i will love to know how many people that love the beatles that have never owned a system before will rush out to buy this with a system just because its the beatles, i suspect quite a few

.. and as for Mandys comment re tmissing songs from the set list .. its rock band .. they left great tunes out on purpose .. for the dlc .. they are not going to miss that trick

Drunken Savior
09-11-2009, 07:06 AM
I just thought that if Guitar Hero had got the Beatle's catalog (LOL, it would have never happened because Dhani Harrison loves Harmonix, not Neversoft), I could have sung "Happiness is a warm gun" as Cobain...

.. and as for Mandys comment re tmissing songs from the set list .. its rock band .. they left great tunes out on purpose .. for the dlc .. they are not going to miss that trick

Agreed.

Yoshi Girl
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I know, but it's my review and I can bitch if I want to :)

(seriously though, no Hey Jude?)

Drunken Savior
09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Don't you find it odd that Paul McCartney wrote a song to the abandoned son of John Lennon's first marriage and John actually sat in for the music video?

Also, it's an epic win if they have 'Here Comes the Sun' and 'Norwegian Wood.'

darren
09-18-2009, 11:26 AM
I know, but it's my review and I can bitch if I want to :)

(seriously though, no Hey Jude?)

you could say seriously though , no "insert any one of 100's of beatles song"

DLC is going to be a stupid money spinner for that exact reason with beatles tracks .. everyone has favs that will not be in the games default tracks that will all eventually show up on DLC

Sinful Sam
09-18-2009, 07:47 PM
I was wondering if we can just download the tracks and play them on regular Rockband, but it does not seem like it's going to be optional.

Drunken Savior
09-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Nope, not transferable unfortunately.

Yoshi Girl
02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Hm. I just wrote a review for Bayontta and when I posted it, it went to the login page & disappeared.

Sadface.

Anyway, long story short.. play it.

Joe Redifer
02-02-2010, 01:59 PM
That sucks! That's why I usually write my reviews on very basic text editor (not Word) and then copy/paste.

And I plan on getting the Xbox 360 version of Bayonetta maybe today. I have heard that there is a lot of Sega love in the game so that tips the scales for me.

Drunken Savior
02-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Hm. I just wrote a review for Bayontta and when I posted it, it went to the login page & disappeared.

Huh. That happens to me often at work but not at home. Sometimes it even brings me to the login page after I enter my l/p. But it usually rights itself after I refresh. That sucks, I was hoping someone would write a Bayonetta review... :indiff:

Yoshi Girl
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I'll re-write it, just not directly after MB ate it. :(

Joe Redifer
02-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I've never been logged out. Ever. But to be safe, before posting something you don't want to retype, at least select all and COPY.

Drunken Savior
02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
The computers at our work suck. It's probably the settings on them and not the forums themselves in my case. :/

Yoshi Girl
02-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Same here. I'm at work, so I'm assuming it's that. (Although, I haven't been on here in a few hours and I'm leaving this response now w/o logging in again.)

I'll re-write & make it more fantastic when I'm at home tonight! With pictures, since some of them are kind of cartoon NSFW :)

Seraph
02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I've never been logged out. Ever. But to be safe, before posting something you don't want to retype, at least select all and COPY.
I do exactly that when I type things over a few sentences long. It's become second nature to hit Ctrl+A Ctrl+C before I post things now.

Yoshi Girl
02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I demoed Bayonetta way back at E3 last June, and wasn't completely sure if I would play the whole game. It was fun for 10 minutes, but I had a feeling it would get quite repeatitive (thing N3, fun for the first bit, but then it's just button mashing, a alot). I was wrong. I finished the game in a bit over a week-around 15 hours of gameplay (on normal difficulty).

The controls are simple, but the key is to hit them in the correct rhythms. Although there are a few button mashing moves, many of the larger combos contain pauses, which was hard for me because I tend to just push buttons when I'm frustrated. Lucky for me, one of the weapons you unlock during game play had an awesome YYYYY combo, which I used quite frequently. Some of the enemies can be quite difficult, but once you get the hang of what each one does, it makes things much easier to manuveur.

The story is simple, yet un-boring, and the cutscences are well-placed-typically falling before and after a chapter ending. The game is basically broken down into sets of 4 chapters with the 4th of each set being a boss only. There's just enough story to keep you interested in the drama, but not so much that it detracts from being in the action. There are also a TON of quick time events that keep you paying attention during the cutscenes and/or leading up to a cutscene. There are a handful of levels that are not the standard walk-around-fight-shit mode, which is nice and changes things up (motorcycles, rocketships, moving platforms that disappear etc.).

In a battle between good & evil (literally), you go through battling angels (bad angels), saving a little girl, meeting a woman who seems to be very similar to yourself and a man who claims you killed his father. Of course it's all overly-dramatic with cheesy lines and stripper moves, but you already knew that. It's awesome though. The music, graphics and sexual inuendos are brilliantly integrated into the story and gameplay and make the game what it is.

As far as replayability goes, once you beat Normal, you can go back and play on Hard and whatever's after hard (I only played on normal), and both render achievements. There are also timed side-challenges, which also give an achievement, but I skipped them. I rented the game, but had I bought it I would have gone through and completed atleast Hard & the side quests.

PLAY IT!

Joe Redifer
02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't know how to use witch time. You have to dodge something first. I don't have a whip. It is hard to find myself onscreen. The camera is horrible. This game is relentless. It is about 10000000x harder than Demon's Souls, which is baby easy in comparison. Fucking ridiculous. I am at the part where I fight my doppleganger and she keeps duplicating herself. My life bar is very short. I have no items. I just smashed an Xbox controller. I have a couple more, it's a good thing I don't play Xbox very much. There is absolutely no reason for the game to be this difficult.

Also, the fight music gets old after maybe the millionth time it plays. What's interesting is that the soundtrack for this game comes on like 12 CDs (seriously). 12 CDs of one song, maybe.

Yoshi Girl
02-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Have you gotten any records yet? The shop guy gives you new weapons.. you should have something by now (make sure you equip it then, I missed this part for like 4 levels oops). Witchtime isn't that hard and you HAVE to use it or else you will become very frustrated (I see you've done that). Just right before you get hit, hit the left trigger (or is it right?)

Anyway, once you get enough rings you can buy an amulet that will trigger witchtime for you, so get that.

Joe Redifer
02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't visit the shop usually. It's didn't seem very straightforward the one time I went so I was like "eff this guy, he's just here to give me 'tude". Plus, the loading time is immense and I don't feel like waiting.

Yoshi Girl
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
That'll show em!

Vegetto
02-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I played a few levels and I cant get past the pure stupidity of it, it turns me off to the point of not even wanting to play it.

gameplay is solid, fun and twitch like (one of my fav type of games), but the characters, story and acting is so bad that I cant even stand playing as that stupid pea headed whore.

I know they're trying to be corny with it, but its too much for me. godhand is better.

why is her head so frickin small

Yoshi Girl
02-17-2010, 07:17 PM
DANTE'S INFERNO

For the record, I have not played any of the God of War games, which from what I've seen is the major complaint about Dante's Inferno--that it's essentially the same game in a different setting. I also am unfamiliar with The Divine Comedy, and most aspects of Christian religion, so excuse me if I've missed something factual.

The story is pretty straight forward: Dante's on an adventure to find his love in the depths of Hell. Each level you go downward into different sins/circles of Hell (lust, anger, gluttony etc.). Nothing too exciting or shocking, just a basic go save your love from Hell type story.

You begin the game by defeating the Grim Reaper (at least, I think that's who it was) and obtaining his scythe (melee), which becomes one of 2 main weapons. Your second weapon is the holy cross, a projectile weapon. Throughout the game, you can also obtain a handful of magic spells. Controls are pretty basic, nothing too complicated or exciting. With each kill, you collect souls, which you can redeem on the holy side (to make your cross stronger) or the unholy side (to make your scythe stronger). Also throughout the game you come across relic holders. Relics give a certain advantage, such as earning more exp or a chance to stun etc. You also come across sinners and certain demons, who you can absolve or punish, granting holy or unholy experience respectively.

The game is graphic, but not overly gory. Actually, there are a lot of boobs in this game. I mean, like.. a ton. I guess people don't have shirts in Hell. The cinematics were well done & well placed. Although the story isn't anything to brag about, I did enjoy it anyway.

Overall, the game took about 6 hours, however, I did half a second runthrough so I could get another acheivement and it went WAY fast. I could have done a whole other runthrough in 3 hours. Also upon the first completion, you unlock arena mode, which is a monotonous 50 levels of waves, that really do nothing but give you souls & experience. It was boring. Replayablility is low. The game was fun, but definitely not worth $60. With few hours of gameplay, and it's closeness to God of War (so I hear), it's rentable at best.

Drunken Savior
02-17-2010, 07:22 PM
They have shirts in hell. It's just so hot in there...

Nice review. I saw the gametrailers review and it had similar remarks. I might try to rent it soon, once I go to Mass Effect rehab and learn to play other videogames.

murray
02-17-2010, 07:49 PM
ME2 has kind of ruined gaming for me, my bar is so high I can hardly see it anymore.

I thought Dantes was pretty awful for the many reasons I stated in the Games Completed thread.

Joe Redifer
02-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I plan on renting Dante pretty soon since I finished Bayonetta (review coming really soon!) I am fairly sure I will probably buy God o' War 3, though.

murray
02-18-2010, 03:33 AM
Honestly, don't bother with Dantes.

Alucard
02-18-2010, 03:57 AM
DANTE'S INFERNO

For the record, I have not played any of the God of War games

I'm giving you till the end of next month to sort your issues out. Infact if you dont get the huge god of war 3 pack that comes with 1 and 2 upscaled for the ps3, I will send a horde of angry australian animals to destroy you. Two of the best games ever and you aint played them. Makes me GRAR

Joe Redifer
02-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Honestly, don't bother with Dantes.

But it'll be a free rental and I enjoyed the demo!

Yoshi Girl
02-18-2010, 04:58 AM
I don't play Sony products so I haven't played many Sony exclusive games. My ex had a ps3 and I played warhawk a few times and I played a bit of folklore but that's it! I haven't owned a Sony product since the discman.

Alucard
02-18-2010, 05:34 AM
I hate sony probably more then you but some things you need to make room for. PS3 is a worthy purchase. As disgusted as I am to say that.

SpaceManSpiff
02-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Dante's Inferno isn't similar to GoW, it literally copies almost every detail gameplay wise, just with different characters. The biggest differences are: GoW has more elaborate puzzles, GoW has a great story that is told in an amazingly epic way, the setting in GoW is just beautiful and has a grandness to it, yet with a natural feel, what you would expect a mythical Greece to look like. Dante's Inferno just seems to throw big random things at you just so you say AHH! It doesn't all fit together I guess, if that makes any sense. Lastly, Kratos is a bad ass motherfucker who will rip your face off and kicks the crap out of Gods. Dante is a religous nut who hardly talks and sounds like a blockheaded doofus when he does.

Joe Redifer
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I'd buy the game if you could play as Jesus ripping unbaptized babies apart and fondling hell-titties. Jesus loves the titties!

murray
02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
AND you see Dantes willy.

Yoshi Girl
02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
^ I missed that.

darren
02-18-2010, 03:50 PM
you obviously didn't watch the end credits/movie then

SpaceManSpiff
02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I'd buy the game if you could play as Jesus ripping unbaptized babies apart and fondling hell-titties. Jesus loves the titties!

Hah, there are unbaptized babies that you get to kill.:lol:

Joe Redifer
02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
There are, seriously! You can get a trophy/achievement for it.

Yoshi Girl
02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
And they spawn out of Cleopatra's nipples!

Einhander
02-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm giving you till the end of next month to sort your issues out. Infact if you dont get the huge god of war 3 pack that comes with 1 and 2 upscaled for the ps3, I will send a horde of angry australian animals to destroy you.

Angry wallabes! OH NOES!

SpaceManSpiff
02-19-2010, 08:21 AM
There are, seriously! You can get a trophy/achievement for it.

From your last post, I thought you didn't know they were in the game. So I was telling you they are. They must be in the demo huh?

Joe Redifer
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
No, I was just looking through the trophy list of one of my PSN friends who was playing it and asw it.