PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft II to Lead Way for In-game Advertising

Alucard
03-06-2008, 02:22 AM
OH DEAR

According to next-gen.biz Bobby Kotick, chairman and CEO of Activision, soon to be Activision Blizzard, recently said that the company will be trying to maximize revenues out of the highly anticipated StarCraft II. To do this, Kotick asserts a new business model for the franchise, which could potentially include in-game advertising.

Kotick admitted that in-game advertising hasn't really "been something that has moved the dial for anybody in the videogame industry," but he sees the incredible potential for it to be implemented into StarCraft II, so much so that it can't be ignored.

"[Blizzard] has been thinking about how StarCraft, because it is a short-session experience, can actually be the model for in-game advertising and sponsorship and tournament play and ladder play for the future," said Kotick.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/857/857150p1.html

Drunken Savior
03-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Ingame advertising will suck. Starcraft is based on the future. Having present day ads will remove you from the immersion of the game. I know SC isn't a full immersion game, but still....

If it's just in battle.net or whatever, then I don't care.

flowForth
03-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Just what we need - exterminating that Zerg scum in a science fiction universe while viewing Coke advertisements! Nothing could really kill immersion more (edit: you beat me to it, DS).

I can only hope they disregard the idea - or the community vehemently expresses their opposition to it.

memory to zack
03-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Thatīs what happens when a dev like Blizzard merges with a publisher like Activision.

Alexander
03-06-2008, 08:23 AM
No, this will likely only be on the battle.net game selection screens.

Don't worry, you won't see any Coke ads in-game.

Alucard
03-07-2008, 02:18 AM
"We have no plans to have in-game advertising in StarCraft II. We believe Bobby was actually referring to Battle.net, which has always included ads."

You can stop sacrificing goats now.

BlindMaphisto
03-07-2008, 05:55 AM
The idea of brokering peace between the Pepsi nebula and the Doritos invaders so everyone can have a snack is an intriguing one. Guess video games just arn't there yet.

spider-prime
03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
aww I was hoping for a zergling to have a t-shirt for Vonage on itself. :(

Chronos
03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
In Rainbow 6: Vegas there are billboards in game for Axe Body Spray. Definetly not a good thing.

Drunken Savior
03-07-2008, 04:33 PM
In Rainbow 6: Vegas there are billboards in game for Axe Body Spray. Definetly not a good thing.

Why isn't that a good thing?

Subway
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
You can always pretend that those companies that are advertised lasted all those years in the future. In a way, its kinda adding more immersion instead of made up company advertisements in the background.

Seraph
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Why isn't that a good thing?Your telling me, I want to have women drawn to me like magnets too. Commercials NEVER lie

Alexander
03-07-2008, 10:11 PM

well I guess I called that one.

Chronos
03-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Why isn't that a good thing?

Ingame advertising will suck. Starcraft is based on the future. Having present day ads will remove you from the immersion of the game. I know SC isn't a full immersion game, but still....

If it's just in battle.net or whatever, then I don't care.

Um, ok?

Drunken Savior
03-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I never said that I'm against in-game advertising in general. There's a reason why it would remove the immersion in SC II and not in a game based on the superficial capitalistic city like Las Vegas where you are literally bombarded with advertisements at every inch.

Chronos
03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
yeah, a plethora of advertisments. Not "Rainbow 6: Vegas brought to you by AXE DEODERANT BODY SPRAY." Think about what you're advocating here.

Risky
03-07-2008, 10:25 PM
http://kotaku.com/365021/no-in+game-ads-for-starcraft-ii

We have no plans to have in-game advertising in StarCraft II. We believe Bobby was actually referring to Battle.net, which has always included ads.

just to clarify previous quote by alucard, here's a link.

Drunken Savior
03-07-2008, 10:36 PM
yeah, a plethora of advertisments. Not "Rainbow 6: Vegas brought to you by AXE DEODERANT BODY SPRAY." Think about what you're advocating here.

I have and I stand by it. In game Advertising is out of character with a game like Starcraft II (if it's ingame, and not in Battlenet, which we've discovered). That's because it is set in the future, and you wouldn't expect to see an advertisement in the heat of a SCII game. In a game set in present day Las Vegas, you would. That's because Las Vegas is filled with advertisements. Ads make for a more realistic environment, hence making it more immersible. Ironically, a vanilla Las Vegas with no ads is less realistic, and hence less immersible, than one with ads.

A relatively new phenomenon, Vegas includes dynamic real world advertising on billboards in certain areas. In order to receive these, the player must be connected to the internet whilst playing.

Increasing Internet connectivity has led to the growth of dynamic in-game advertising. Unlike the fixed advertisements found in static in-game ads, dynamic advertisements can be altered remotely by the advertising agency

While having to download new ads is a pain, it's hardly a noteworthy bitchnote to have a more realistic Las Vegas environment. Now I haven't played Vegas, so they might not have implemented it correctly to make the city more realistic. But my message was defending in-game advertisements in general in certain games.

Chronos
03-07-2008, 10:52 PM
If you haven't played it then you have no say. I win.

The End.

Drunken Savior
03-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Well my message was about in-game advertising, not that particular game. So I'm afraid I do have a say. Are we done? Do you have any more internet-meme witty rebuttals that show a lack of understanding?

Chronos
03-07-2008, 11:17 PM
You have no say about in game advertisment in Rainbow 6: Vegas, you dolt, since you haven't seen if it does or does not take away from the game; a topic which you seem to so care about....

Why you're getting inflamatory and disrespectful is beyond me. And if you consider "I win, the end" disrespectful in tone and not sardonic you need to seriously check yourself.

A 5 year old could have grasped that from my previous post/s. I shouldn't have even graced your little quip with a reply.

Drunken Savior
03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Ok, then how does Rainbow 6 fail at in-game advertising?

Chronos
03-07-2008, 11:29 PM
honestly thinking about it for real, the presence of the axe marketing was focused 90% in the cutscenes. I recall only 2 or 3 stages which had axe billboards in game, and they were not in direct view at all. They were in odd rooms in pretty large stages from what i remember. It has been almost a full year since i was really into rainbow 6, so my previous posts were more reflective on my overall view of in game advertising. The way it was handled in R6 was tasteful so i'd list it as a game that managed to do it in a way that minimally disillusioned the gamer.

Drunken Savior
03-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Ok. So why the hostility? :(

Chronos
03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
No hostility. Also I didn't know about the dynamic advertising in vegas. the wiki on that's a bit stretched as i played the game for hundreds of hours total online and each ads location was known. i never saw a new axe ad, just the same old ones found if you explored the stage.

Risky
03-08-2008, 12:23 AM
I use axe, does that mean I'll like Rainbow Six?

Drunken Savior
03-08-2008, 12:26 AM
That means you ARE RAINBOW 6!

Alucard
03-08-2008, 02:33 AM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/37268/StarCraft-2-Q-A-32-Screenshots

Heaps more on the game

flowForth
03-08-2008, 04:29 AM
You can always pretend that those companies that are advertised lasted all those years in the future. In a way, its kinda adding more immersion instead of made up company advertisements in the background.

Even then - it doesn't work in the given part of the StarCraft universe, it's not set anywhere near Earth.

The Terrans, Protoss and Zerg are in a part of the Milky Way known as the Koprulu Sector - far from Earth, and (to the best of my knowledge) don't have any contact or trade with the Terrans on Earth (although the UPL - the Terran Earth government - quietly monitors them).

When the UPL sent a fleet to capture the Koprulu Sector, they were annihilated by the Zerg.

Not just that - but the Terrans in the Koprulu Sector were "undesirables" that the United Power League was exterminating en masse back on Earth prior to StarCraft. Some of these "undesirables" were rounded up, shoved onto colony ships which then malfunctioned and dumped them into the Koprulu Sector instead - which StarCraft is set in.

So - even assuming those companies survived - advertisements of current companies are ill-suited to the StarCraft games, at least in their current setting in the Koprulu Sector. These companies would simply not be trading with the Koprulu exiles.

Zachalmighty
03-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Even then - it doesn't work in the given part of the StarCraft universe, it's not set anywhere near Earth.

The Terrans, Protoss and Zerg are in a part of the Milky Way known as the Koprulu Sector - far from Earth, and (to the best of my knowledge) don't have any contact or trade with the Terrans on Earth (although the UPL - the Terran Earth government - quietly monitors them).

When the UPL sent a fleet to capture the Koprulu Sector, they were annihilated by the Zerg.

Not just that - but the Terrans in the Koprulu Sector were "undesirables" that the United Power League was exterminating en masse back on Earth prior to StarCraft. Some of these "undesirables" were rounded up, shoved onto colony ships which then malfunctioned and dumped them into the Koprulu Sector instead - which StarCraft is set in.

So - even assuming those companies survived - advertisements of current companies are ill-suited to the StarCraft games, at least in their current setting in the Koprulu Sector. These companies would simply not be trading with the Koprulu exiles.

NERD ALERT

Subway
03-08-2008, 03:50 PM

In an attempt to keep justifying my comments....you can pretend that these "undesirables" were working with those companies before the the extermination and just set up shop in the new sector :lol: :spinface: :P :wink:

BlindMaphisto
03-08-2008, 04:52 PM
The Zerg were probably mutated from a coca cola bottling plant that got shot into space during the soft drink wars of 2012.

Decado
03-08-2008, 09:11 PM
...says the man who set up the altar. :lol:

flowForth
03-09-2008, 03:23 AM
NERD ALERT

Yeah, I get that.

In an attempt to keep justifying my comments....you can pretend that these "undesirables" were working with those companies before the the extermination and just set up shop in the new sector :lol: :spinface: :P :wink:

Fair enough, I suppose that can work with some imagination - although, it can bring up some rather humorous scenarios.

I can just picture a newspaper headline in the 23rd century of StarCraft's timeline:

COCA-COLA EMPLOYEES DEEMED UNDESIRABLES, EXILED INTO SPACE.

:lol:

Alucard
03-11-2008, 01:28 AM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/37309/StarCraft-2-Zerg-Attack-New-Screenshots-Unit-Images-Unit-Info

Shitload of starfract 2 stuff

Zachalmighty
03-14-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/video/939643/6187514/videoplayerpop?

I came.

flowForth
03-18-2008, 04:53 AM
A lot of interesting ideas - I am really looking forward to this.

As far I've seen, the Protoss units seem more specialized this time around, Terrans seem to have retained the element of high firepower (Siege Tank, Battlecruiser, that new Thor mech), while the Zerg seem to have much more abilities at their disposal. Anyway, I hope Blizzard can pull it off.