PDA

View Full Version : Starting WoW up again...

Yoshi Girl
02-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Is anyone active now?

Servers? Names?

Zachalmighty
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Is anyone active now?

Servers? Names?

Nathrezim, Divineone, Zachs.

Just message one of those people. I will tell my friend if you go on my server since I haven't been active for a month.

Drunken Savior
02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Bye Yoshi Girl. It was nice knowing you.

Vegetto
02-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I haven't been active for a few months but the craving is creeping back

I'm on hydraxis

JOIN IT!

memory to zack
02-08-2008, 05:43 PM
So many newer and freshier MMOs, why WoW?...

Reko8
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
yeah I used to have that crave, but its gone now cause I resubscribed to wow and 20 minutes later I canceled my account. console games are far superior in every category

Yoshi Girl
02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
So many newer and freshier MMOs, why WoW?...

We have EQ2, didn't like. Hellgate, eh, it was okay.

I just heart WoW!

Alexander
02-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Detheroc Hordeside we'll get you started.

Nem
02-09-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm on european servers so u dont wanna know anyways :p

Daniel4802
02-09-2008, 03:47 PM
I quit WoW a few days ago after making a couple level 40 characters and getting far in a few crafts. The game had a couple nice features, but overall, lacked a lot of depth.

What I liked:
1. The Shaman was a unique and fun class to play.
2. All dungeons were instanced-based and many quests were provided in each town.

What I disliked:
1. There wasn't any difference between Horde and Alliance in that they shared the exact same classes.
2. There wasn't any dynamic progression defensively when it came to skills such as parry, block, and evade as you leveled. For instance, if you fought a lvl 5 monster at lvl 5, you took 5 damage and had a certain percentage to block, parry, or evade. If you came back to that lvl 5 monster at lvl 40, with excellent gear, stats, and talents that greatly boosted your overall defense, you would think that lvl 5 monster wouldn't even be able to hurt you, right? Wrong. Furthermore, you took the same damage from that lvl 5 monster even with the upgraded gear, thus armor didn't affect damage taken much at all.
3. You can't resurrect during combat.
4. To reach higher crafting tiers, you had to level up in adventuring as well.
5. You couldn't craft common items such as shields, polearms, fist weapons or bows;
6. There was a great imbalance in items gained through quests and instance drops. For instance, 1-handed weapons were common but fist weapons and guns were nearly non-existent at lower levels.
7. Unless you played a druid, or shaman, traveling speed was painful at earlier levels (pre-40).
8. Support classes such as priests, shamans, and druids had very few buffs compared to other mmorpgs - many of them obtained post lvl 50.

Alexander
02-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Actually, there is a lot of depth. The competition in the endgame is like no other MMO out there.

Also, Druids CAN battle rez. Sounds like you scraped about 20% of the content and called it quits.

Daniel4802
02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I forgot that druids can resurrect in combat. It is still lame that they are the only class in a mmorpg with a very limited selection of classes and small group size (5).

Yes, I hear there is a lot of content post-lvl 70. However, all but one of the problems listed above were apparent through the levels I played, and from talking to people who had level 70 characters, even later on in the game. Those issues made it easy to walk away from what I consider a simplistic mmorpg.

Mistatee
02-09-2008, 08:05 PM
There is a lot of merit to Daniel's argument.
The crafting in WoW, while better in TBC, is still lackluster. Since common items has always sucked in the game (dunno why...) the crafting was pretty much make a ton of stuff nobody wants, and then your max level and can make worth while stuff. (Improved from max level != worth while stuff)
In fact, pretty much the entire leveling experience is a long grind. With everyone in outlands, the life of Azeroth just isn't there. So you have people essentially leveling up to 58 just to really appreciate the game.

Furthermore, a lot of the "depth" of endgame is running dungeons that require insane amounts of rep grind, just to run them again to be geared up to do the raid dungeons. What happened to the worth while quests endgame?

Anyways, as Alex said, once you reach this level of the game, it opens up greatly. Waiting for a party? Do some BGs.
Make a successful Arena team: Play 50+ games a week.
In a Raiding Guild: Spend 5+ hours a day progressing.
Doing all of these: Your life is lost. (I was like this last summer)

However much better WoW is with TBC, they replaced the old problems with new ones:

Terrible Rep Grinds
Rehashed Quests
Drab Leveling Experience (used to be great)

And kept some old ones:

Terrible item selection
No World PvP

Alexander
02-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Arena is AWESOME

Paper exe
02-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Honestly hearing about WoW scares me. It sounds like a huge waste of time. I would rather play something else, or more like dozens of other games in summer or on my free time in general, than to waste it all in that one gloomy game. I feel like there is nothing to accomplish in that game. There is always more stuff to do and there are always people who are way ahead of you. Even with all that it still wastes plenty of precious time that could have been better off wasted elsewhere. I mean the early years of a man life is always the best and I rather fail it with plenty of good deeds and memories.

memory to zack
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Generally MMOs are really tiresome, as thereīs a huge amount of endless stuff to do with minimal story. The only rewards you get are leveling up, new gear and crafting more powerful stuff. Although western MMORPGs donīt require grinding nearly as much as korean ones, they still get very repetitive.

IMO the best thing to do is try new genres of MMOs that do not follow the classic lvlup/quest/crafting mentality.

Yoshi Girl
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, I started over on Emerald Dream, I have a few buddies on it.

However, if anyone decides to start over hollar at me, I like starting over. haha. Send me a PM incase I forget to check the thread.

ATMA
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
fucking fail..

Guild is waiting to test sunwell ....but ptr is failing. QQ

Meshugana
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
i started up again about 30 min ago, on argent dawn, midgar dwarf paladin, on frostmane malfurios night elf rogue, and i have an orc warlock somewhere

Alexander
02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Deth-er-oc

Yoshi Girl
02-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Alex - k, I started. name is Leirana

Alexander
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I'll send ye some gold later tonight.

Nem
02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Arena is AWESOME

I'm hoping you were beeing sarcastic. WoW PvP is one the most epic failures i ever saw.

All the game has of good is instances/raids. Everything else is terribly broken. The game doesnt deserve half the sucess it has.

Alexander
02-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Respectfully disagreed.

Yoshi Girl
02-11-2008, 08:49 PM
don't send anything, tried out hunter, and wasn't a fan.. gonna start over again tomorrow.

Alexander
02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
lol you tried for 10 minutes? What kind of classes do you usually play?

Zachalmighty
02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm hoping you were beeing sarcastic. WoW PvP is one the most epic failures i ever saw.

All the game has of good is instances/raids. Everything else is terribly broken. The game doesnt deserve half the sucess it has.

I think that raids/instances are terrible and the PvP is sub par.

seppukkake
02-12-2008, 02:08 AM
I only raid on Wednesdays and Sundays, other than that and the occasional pvp weekend I rarely go on anymore. Just waiting for WotLK since the only upgrades I can really get now are from raiding(BT, SSC, Hyjal, maybe ZA). Or S3 mace. <3

Dethecus/horde, though I might transfer to Dragonmaw.

Yoshi Girl
02-12-2008, 10:16 AM
lol you tried for 10 minutes? What kind of classes do you usually play?

I have a 58 lock, a 44 priest, and a 30-something mage. I'll probably go with one of those on your server. I like magic. Real weapons are boring. :)

Probably will be the same name.

Mistatee
02-12-2008, 12:24 PM

While the balance is missing with a couple of classes, overall a skilled player has a chance of winning most of the time, which means its not broken.

However, I has composed a list of gay moves that can make PvP tedious, though less so in the Arena which is about strategery.

Iceblock
Stuns
Sap
Blind
Cyclone
Fear
Actually any CC that doesn't break on damage. Especially stuns. I hate being out of control of my character for 5-8 seconds while somebody is damaging me. Iceblock was only gay when it could be chained, which has been resolved. Cyclone is annoying when used by your team, on a guy you are about to kill...

Without a lot of CC, PvP outside of arena would be a lot better. Arena however would turn into who can do damage first which would be lame.

Vegetto
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I just reactivated my account...

my fellow guildies are all OMG IM SO GLAD YOUR BACK

but all I did was mine for gold... and got bored

Yoshi Girl
02-12-2008, 06:13 PM
k alex, i'm on you server, same name - Leirana

Alexander
02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
okay I'll keep you on my friends list

Nem
02-12-2008, 06:34 PM
While the balance is missing with a couple of classes, overall a skilled player has a chance of winning most of the time, which means its not broken.

However, I has composed a list of gay moves that can make PvP tedious, though less so in the Arena which is about strategery.

Iceblock
Stuns
Sap
Blind
Cyclone
Fear
Actually any CC that doesn't break on damage. Especially stuns. I hate being out of control of my character for 5-8 seconds while somebody is damaging me. Iceblock was only gay when it could be chained, which has been resolved. Cyclone is annoying when used by your team, on a guy you are about to kill...

Without a lot of CC, PvP outside of arena would be a lot better. Arena however would turn into who can do damage first which would be lame.

All forms of CC are silly on PvP. Its a PvE mechanic.

The reason why the game would become a damage contest is cause the game wasnt thought out for PvP. If you look at guild wars, its extremely hard to kill a healer 1 on 1. On WoW its perfectly doable.
The difference is that on GW theres classes/specs specificly designed to shut down and kill a healer (mind you theres also specs to counter melees/casters aswell), on WoW basically any class can do it eventually by simply keeping to hit them till them OOM. Now WoW is missing classes like necros/mesmers whose main job is to shutdown another class without just "CCing" them. Hexes, interrupts, mana burns (mind none of these makes the healers useless unless completely drained), but all those perfectly balanced with proper levels of strength and cooldowns.
What happens in guild wars is that the battle becomes one of protecting healers by harrasing "shutdown" classes and planning proper spikes to add pressure on the opposing healers. Theres also a risky way to save your downed partner(with a penalty - aka combat res). In retrospective, its all about coordination, team work and skill.

In WoW on the other hand its all about attacking the same target without much in the way of coordination. Everything u can do to your ally is easily dispelled by a melee class and most heals have incredibly long casting times. You say CC makes the difference, but i say CC is just another easy interrupt on the healers. You remove a person from the combat and u defeat the others. Thats not skill. You're not defeating the team, you are defeating part of it. It makes no sense from a PvP point of view. Its the same has making the person disconnect. Insta win.

Alexander
02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I agree that CC is pretty lame.

Daniel4802
02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
In general, the healing classes of WoW are handicapped due to a lack of personal survivability spells and skills. If you got on one, there wasn't much they can do for themselves but watch the progress bar get knocked back until dead.

Since Guild Wars was mentioned, I'll talk about healing classes in Dark Age of Camelot. They are given insta-heal single target and group heals in addition to having faster casting times compared to WoW healers. Also, all had several quick CC options so they could evade interruption or damage in the way of roots, mezes, stuns, either castable or instant, and single or AOE. Although they were a priority target in realm vs realm action, they weren't as helpless.

seppukkake
02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
CC is awesome. It makes challenges and teamwork. Without it would make WoW a shitload more unbalanced.

Edit: also WotLK is bringing the modification of spell haste(casting speed) more implemented into the game.

Nem
02-12-2008, 11:32 PM
CC is awesome. It makes challenges and teamwork. Without it would make WoW a shitload more unbalanced.

Edit: also WotLK is bringing the modification of spell haste(casting speed) more implemented into the game.

You're not looking at the big picture. CC is not awesome on PvP and doesnt make it about teamwork, it makes it about shortening numbers. Even if removed it wouldnt make WoW a better PvP game cause its a PvE game and it will always be a crap PvP game unless all mechanics/spells are modified and balanced and new classes to fill the concept void are created.
After playing WoW for year and a half i know blizzard enough to say the game will never be balanced, nor the classes. Blizzard has no idea about what to do. They fail has developers, its pretty pathetic. And, at the same time they are ruining PvE with their spastic PvP oriented changes.

The modification of spell haste comes at the cost of other stats namely crit and wont make your spells faster than 0.2 seconds. Its pretty useless for casters. Melee might benefit from it.
Spell pushback is also a pretty retarded mechanic if i ever saw one. It only makes it worse. Game needs more instant cast not reduced casting time alone (especially at the cost of other more useful stats).

ATMA
02-13-2008, 04:32 AM

Woah.... hang on there....

PvP victory is determined by class>spec>skill. Why should a druid+warr or druid+hunter or druid+lock roll their faces on keyboard to +2k ratings, while a priest+mage or shaman+rogue will actually have to put so much effort that is virtual impossible? That is not balance my friend.

In general, the healing classes of WoW are handicapped due to a lack of personal survivability spells and skills. If you got on one, there wasn't much they can do for themselves but watch the progress bar get knocked back until dead.

Get 400 ressiliance and burn out any dps class, I love how a disc priest can tank 2-3 people and burning them down with dots and all while keeping himself alive, I love how a resto druid is just impossible to kill. Pallies+Shamans have it a bit harder though, but with the change from healing converted to spelldamage, most healing classes are actually harder to kill than dps classes. Also due to pve bosses hitting very hard, so healing needs to be kept up and this converts also to pvp with ressiliance there, healers are really hard to bring down when they have 12k hp 400 res and can outheals most of your abbilities with just a HOT.

Daniel4802
02-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I know that firsthand since I played a guildmate's restoration shaman who was able to take on two combatants simultaneously. In that regard, they are durable. However, I was referring to their inability to avoid interruption using CC to perform their primary role in healing the group.

seppukkake
02-13-2008, 11:48 PM
How come none of you phailures play together? Only person I've played with is Austin. I think I made a char on Detheroc for Alex/Lauren though.

Vegetto
02-14-2008, 12:20 AM
we had good times didn't we

Alexander
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
How come none of you phailures play together? Only person I've played with is Austin. I think I made a char on Detheroc for Alex/Lauren though.

name and occupation?

Nano Fox
02-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm to leet to play with the rest of you:slap:

Nem
02-15-2008, 01:59 AM
I play on european servers so doh. Ofc i cant play with most ppl from theMagicbox.

Also its quite hard to do it with this whole "realms" thing WoW has. You have to leave your guild and pay to go to another realm. Also once you leave a PvP server u cant go back so makes hopping around impossible even if you're willing to pay for it.

Nem
02-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Get 400 ressiliance and burn out any dps class, I love how a disc priest can tank 2-3 people and burning them down with dots and all while keeping himself alive, I love how a resto druid is just impossible to kill. Pallies+Shamans have it a bit harder though, but with the change from healing converted to spelldamage, most healing classes are actually harder to kill than dps classes. Also due to pve bosses hitting very hard, so healing needs to be kept up and this converts also to pvp with ressiliance there, healers are really hard to bring down when they have 12k hp 400 res and can outheals most of your abbilities with just a HOT.

Dispel/purge and the priest goes down like a fly. Druids are a royal pain though.
This reminds me of my poor paladin at the hands of a priest. he only needs 1 button to kill me. Blizz and their balance...
Then again my main is a priest so i get the best and the worst. lol

ATMA
02-15-2008, 06:53 AM
I know that firsthand since I played a guildmate's restoration shaman who was able to take on two combatants simultaneously. In that regard, they are durable. However, I was referring to their inability to avoid interruption using CC to perform their primary role in healing the group.

Priests and pallies can be hard to CC, depends which form of CC we are talking about, anything that can be dispelled they won't have any issue with. And blizz already nerf CCs to 10 seconds+ dr, it used to be 15 sec and dr, and right after beta some CC lasted 45 secs and no DR on them either..but that was a long time ago.

Shaman though do have a prob with CC but we all know that shamans are very weak at the moment in pvp, and blizz just keeps ignoring them for some reason.

Dispel/purge and the priest goes down like a fly

I don't have a shaman/hunter in my back pocket. :p

nerf pain suppression and shield :<