PDA

View Full Version : Zachalmighty's Epic RPG Reveiw Thread

Zachalmighty
02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I am currently playing Front Mission 1st DS, Front Mission 3, and Front Mission 4. I will be playing all of them and giving my impression of which one is the best in the series.

If you have another series you want me to review or a game that needs reviewing don't hesitate to ask!

Systems I own:
Sega Genesis
Nintendo 64
Playstation One
Playstation 2
Wii
Xbox360
PSP
DS
GBA
PC (Very High end, Witcher style son)

Mistatee
02-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Play Lunar. Tell me if you think it is genius.
Recommended Version: Ps1

Zachalmighty
02-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Play Lunar. Tell me if you think it is genius.
Recommended Version: Ps1

Silver Star Story, right?

Seraph
02-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Make sure to play Eternal Blue as well, great sequel. Both of them might be hard to track down though.

Rubeus
02-03-2008, 03:48 PM
You should try Jeanne d' ARc for PSP, it is one of the best tactical RPG around, and the first I beated in a long time since Shining Force III for Saturn.

Joe Redifer
02-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Play Shining Force 1 and 2 for the Genesis if you have them. They will make you want to buy a Sega CD and play through Shining Force CD, for sure.

Zachalmighty
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Progress:
FM3: Finished
FM1 DS: Finished (Both Campaigns)
FM4: 70% (Wagner you bitch!!!!)
Persona 3: 60%
SMT: Nocturne: 20%
SMT: Devil Summoner: 10%

I might play Shining force, given my ability to acquire it in any form.

Zachalmighty
02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Front Mission 1st for the DS Reveiw
SRPG

Scores
Story: 8.5
Battle System: 7
Graphics: 6
Music: 9
Replay Value: 9

My Appeal
-I love strategy games!
-I love RPG's
-I like a good story
-I like hand drawn characters!

Pros:
The game has a good story for an SNES game
Customizing Wanzers is cool, everything up to the color of the mech
Two campaigns to play through
Ties into newer FM games

Cons:
Way to easy, even in New game+ mode
Not enough skills
There really isn't any strategy here
Final Boss of UCS and OCU went out like punk bitches

Reveiw: Front Mission is one of the premiere mech games outside of japan. Rivaling games like Armored Core and Super Robot Taisen in terms of storyline and Craaaaazy mech action. But the Front Mission series holds a special place in my heart. Seeing as I'm a whore for everything Sqenix. The first game in the series released on the Snes (or NES donno) and was remade later in 2001 for the PS1 with a second campaign that perceived the side of the story from the opposing factions vantage point.

Story: The story starts off with your team of chibi mechs on a flat playing board. The game explains that your on an island (oh boy!) called Huffman split in half by two major world powers, one being the OCU, or Ossies and the other being the UCS, or AMERICANS. Yes America is once again kicking ass and taking names 89 years into the future. The long standing cease fire is violated, blah blah blah, lover dies, blah, typical sqeenix crap.
I'm not saying the story is crap, it was written 16 years ago when it had'nt been rehashed billions of times in FF games. There is a pretty enemy named Driscoll, too old to be a Bishi though.

Battle System: This is normally why we buy games isn't it? The battle system is fairly simple in this game. You get to field up to 16 mechs against double or more that on the enemies team. But the enemy just tries to overwhelm you over and over again instead of using superior tactics to make you think. Most battles end up with it just being who can use the repair care the best. Not too fun. Later in the game your guys actually get skills which make the game a total breeze. Stuff like one attack kills are frequent! The battle system is average!

Graphics: What can you expect from a game that debuted on the original nintendo systems? Nothing. It looks just like a Final Fantasy game, no not like FF 6 but more like 4. The wierd art still exists with males looking semi feminine. The only saving grace of this game is that all the characters where hand drawn including the backgrounds to places like towns.

Music: The music is good. 8 bit glory good-ness. Later in the game it does become repetitive though but since I am a very patient man I couldn't get too angry. (Kept expecting one winged angel epicness)

Replay Value: This is where the game shines. If you like replaying a game for customization and items that is. The game offers you a separate campaign that you can play through detailing more of the story surrounding the Huffman conflict. The second part is hard, especially if you were expecting the ease of the first campaign. After you beat that and save the clear data you can replay either side again in new game+ mode. This mode basically adds more parts to the shops and weapons and gives you the choice to change enemy damage/lvl modifier. I put it on 2.0 and that was easy, but the cool parts and customization kept me in it.

Conclusion: If your a mech fan this game is a definite buy. If your a strategy RPG fan you might want to pass it up for how easy it is. If you just have a strange fascination with customization you probably already have alot of tattoos and should stay away from this game anyway.

Chronos
02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I second Lunar: Silver Star Story (complete) and Eternal Blue. I haven't touched either since the ps1...so they may have aged poorly but from what I remember they were both awesome and should still be worthy. Gotta love the epic anime cutscenes.

Zachalmighty
02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
I second Lunar: Silver Star Story (complete) and Eternal Blue. I haven't touched either since the ps1...so they may have aged poorly but from what I remember they were both awesome and should still be worthy. Gotta love the epic anime style cutscenes.

The game has aged poorly. Is it just me or was the game a little hard at the first cave thing? I found myself losing one party member every fight. Am i doing something terribly wrong?

Chronos
02-23-2008, 12:43 PM
That first part is definetly extra hard since your characters are fresh. I remember it...once you encounter _____ and get out you can plevel on some easier forrest fodder, at least that's what I did, until level 10 or so when you get some addtl powers.

Zachalmighty
02-23-2008, 01:23 PM
That first part is definetly extra hard since your characters are fresh. I remember it...once you encounter _____ and get out you can plevel on some easier forrest fodder, at least that's what I did, until level 10 or so when you get some addtl powers.

Ok, I will go and try it again.

Sinful Sam
02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
I been wanting to play this game. I loved Front Mission 3 on the PS1. I was disappointed with 4.

Zachalmighty
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM
I been wanting to play this game. I loved Front Mission 3 on the PS1. I was disappointed with 4.

Play it for the piece of the story, they do introduce Renges and Darril in the end of the second campaign. Front Mission 3 is the best FM so far. Also FM Border of Madness 2089 details the first Huffman conflict is coming out on the DS within the next year.

Mistatee
02-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Ok, I will go and try it again.

The game is easier than the Sega CD counter-parts.
Don't be afraid to use the defend command. Only RPG I can name where defend is incredibly useful. Also the first cave pretty much assumes you will go into town after killing a few monsters and update your equipment. Probably a poor design for a beginning of a game, but its worth it in the end, trust me.

Paper exe
02-24-2008, 07:59 AM
I thought it was cool. made me think the game would be challenging and the battle system would have plenty of depth but I turned out to be wrong after going through the first part at lest for the most part.

Zachalmighty
02-25-2008, 09:09 PM
I thought it was cool. made me think the game would be challenging and the battle system would have plenty of depth but I turned out to be wrong after going through the first part at lest for the most part.

You should still play it by all means if you have played the others. That way you can get the entire story.

Meshugana
02-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Make sure to play Eternal Blue as well, great sequel. Both of them might be hard to track down though.

if anyone is interested i got both these games, the box set with everything included on part 2, part one is missing some things, im willing to sell em

Paper exe
02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
OMG YOU WANT TO SELL LUNAR 2 COMPEL ET IN PERFECT CONDITION! GIVE ME! I mean I don't care but I will buy it from you if you want!!!!!!1!!!!1!!!!1!!!

eastx
02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Front Mission 1st for the DS Reveiw...
Music: The music is good. 8 bit glory good-ness.

You keep calling it 8-bit, but Front Mission was originally a 16-bit game.

Zachalmighty
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
You keep calling it 8-bit, but Front Mission was originally a 16-bit game.

My bad, I never owned an SNES.

Alexander
02-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Lunar? Eh, I was really looking forward to playing it after it was hyped to hell by some forum members and I found, well, a generic RPG with tediously slow battles.

Mistatee
02-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Good Characters
Good Story
Good Soundtrack
Alright Humor
Amazing World

Hardly Generic.

And while the batle system is awesome, I can't argue that it isn't slow. Damn Animations take forever.

Seraph
02-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah both Lunar games were a great ride. Lunar DS however....... :(

eastx
02-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Mistatee is right. The characters and story are what give Lunar its charm. But gameplay-wise, it's generic... As are most JRPGs, so no biggie.

Vegetto
02-27-2008, 03:15 AM
adored Lunar 1 and 2, you fall in love with the story and characters.

Mistatee
02-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Glad to see the Lunar Love Spreading.
Now everyone go get a copy of Lunar DS and smash it with a sledgehammer.

memory to zack
02-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah both Lunar games were a great ride. Lunar DS however....... :(

I only played Lunar DS and, boah, did it suck so bad.

Zachalmighty
04-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeh its been a while since I said I was gonna review this game.

Front Mission 3
Strategic Masterpiece

My Appeal:
-I loves Mechses
-I Love RPG's
-I love when stories come together
-I love customization

When god made FM2 he decided not to give it to the Americans because he wanted to test our faith. Time passes and we where blessed with FM3. By far the best game in the series not including FM5 nor the new FM: Border of Madness game coming to a DS near you!
The huge draw of these games is of course the mechs and the ability to switch their armarments, legs, body types, colors, and arms. FM3 adds computers to the mix where the quality of your computer determines how many skills you get to equip and the success rates of these skills.
The story is by far the second best attribute this game has to offer. Your name is Kazuki and you have two choices in the beginning, one is to go with an intelligence officer named Emma on a mission to rescue your adopted sister, the second is to just go with your friend and rescue her yourself. This leaves you with the option of replaying the game if you where smitten with it the first time. In either storyline Kazuki is what you would expect from a japanese mecha pilot. Hot headed and gun ho! He goes to any length to fight for what he believes in despite what he crashes against. It pits him against super soldiers and a madman's plot to rule the world (cliche? NOPE.)
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/frontmission/fm3-2.jpg
Silly Kazuki, as if there would be a story line without a twist
The graphics are what you would come to expect from PS1 era Square. Ahead of their time. The combat models are surprisingly well rendered as are the backgrounds. The only thing that I did not enjoy is that when I blew the legs of something I got a spike in graphic lag that caused my PSP to crash!
Gameplay is awesome. It plays like an SRPG should. You attack arms, legs, and bodies and each one has a skill attached to it. When this skill activates for the first time you can add it to the skills your characters already know. Some of these skills allow you to attack with more ammo per turn or to target and destroy specific parts on an enemy machine. Not to mention that each character is already geared towards a specific weapon, this is not always the weapon it has when you first get that character. The movement is standard grid style and you need to use the map to your advantage. Some high areas can help to block missile fire or it can leave you a wide open target to get smashed to pieces.

Overall until I play FM5 I give this game a solid 8.9/10

Here's the breakdown:
Graphics: 9/10
Storyline: 8.5/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Originality: 9/10
Replay Value: 8/10

Northeastmonk
07-31-2009, 12:51 AM
FM3 is my favorite tactics game. I started FM4, but it wasnt any good. Thankfully you have a review for FM1 on the DS. On Lunar. I enjoyed them both heavily a couple years ago. My buddy borrowed my SSSC, so I'll be pissed if I dont get it back.

Zachalmighty
08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Well, when I come back from vacation in three days I'll have a review for FM4 up. Just a heads up, after playing FM3, my grading of FM4 is going to be a bit harsh.

Alucard
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
So the one on the DS is FM1 right? Good story is it? Depth? Worth playing yes?

Zachalmighty
08-06-2009, 10:58 AM
So the one on the DS is FM1 right? Good story is it? Depth? Worth playing yes?

Its worth playing, the story is good. But the gameplay itself lacks any sort of difficulty. Also FM1 sets up the entire story because characters come back in the next games.

Sinful Sam
08-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, when I come back from vacation in three days I'll have a review for FM4 up. Just a heads up, after playing FM3, my grading of FM4 is going to be a bit harsh.

Yeah... FM4 was nowhere near as good.

shaselai
08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Is Dissidia worth playing? The gamestop guy told me the US version kinda ruined the Japanese version..not sure if it is true or not?

Seraph
08-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Thats kinda funny because the US version only added features. Japan is actually getting a second release of the game with all the extra features we got.

Unless the gamestop guy was some weaboo...

shaselai
08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Thats kinda funny because the US version only added features. Japan is actually getting a second release of the game with all the extra features we got.

Unless the gamestop guy was some weaboo...

maybe. I might still get it since i will be going to boringtown (my sister's place) next week. There's like nothing to do there - no fun stuff at all and her daughter hates me for some reason...

Zachalmighty
08-28-2009, 12:43 PM
I actually have not gotten a chance to play Dissidia, I've been too busy playing MS Saga, which I got for $10 US at Gamestop last week. I'm going to review that instead of FM4, because FM4 was a great disappointment.

To summarize, FM4 not only had poor visuals for a Squeenix game but had poor US voice acting as well. If they had just left the game silent as in only text it would have been much better. Not to mention that after being a rogue faction in FM3 going back to being military dogs in FM4 was a letdown. The branching storyline was good until it forced both sides of the storyline together into one team and made you choose units every mission after. The music was also forgettable, as I do not remember liking any of it.

shaselai
08-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I actually have not gotten a chance to play Dissidia, I've been too busy playing MS Saga, which I got for $10 US at Gamestop last week. I'm going to review that instead of FM4, because FM4 was a great disappointment.

To summarize, FM4 not only had poor visuals for a Squeenix game but had poor US voice acting as well. If they had just left the game silent as in only text it would have been much better. Not to mention that after being a rogue faction in FM3 going back to being military dogs in FM4 was a letdown. The branching storyline was good until it forced both sides of the storyline together into one team and made you choose units every mission after. The music was also forgettable, as I do not remember liking any of it.

yeah FM4 sucked.... dont like the character faces either... FM5 is a great game though - memorable and good looking chars

Zachalmighty
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
yeah FM4 sucked.... dont like the character faces either... FM5 is a great game though - memorable and good looking chars

If I had a knowledge of moon language I would play it.

I know I have been a bit slow on reviews lately but I'd like to take the time to ask that anyone PM me with requests on what to review, they can be requests for future games that haven't come out yet or recent games that have just come out. Keep in mind I have a PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, PSP, DS, and a high end PC.

Zachalmighty
10-28-2009, 10:29 PM
MS Saga AKA The game of badassness. (PS2)

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/6/927476_69285_front.jpg
Oh no it's a Gundam! No it ain't silly its just mere cannon fodder.

My Bias: I'm a big Gundam fan, BIG, LIKE DAI DAI SUPER MEGA GUNDAM FAN.

Story: Hah. Story. This game doesn't have a story worth mentioning. Its atypical J-mech fair. You find a girl with amnesia inside an abandoned space ship while on a quest for revenge against a red mobile suit that burned down your orphanage. I'd like to take this chance to point out that there is nothing to gain from destroying an orphanage other than proving how sinister and evil you can truly be.

Along the way you find the faction responsible for killing your caretaker and forcing you to shoulder the burdens of everyone you meet like a "good" kid. All while picking up some of the coolest Gundams and cannon fodder mechs from great MS series like Zeta, Gundam, and ZZ. Wing can go fuck itself, because god did it suck.

The dialogue is painful, but painful in a hilarious way. Watching the main character Tristan rush head long into everything and being a single-minded idiot is fascinating.
http://www.fototube.pl/pictures/92747620060208790screen007.jpg
Omg he attacked the Orpanage!

Lo and behold there is a predictable twist in the plot and you face the "real" enemy. Sound familiar? It will if you've seen Gundam X or Gundam Wing.

System: The battle system is where this game really shines. You can get lost for hours customizing the different looks of your mechs and giving them just the right weapons for the job. Each mech has its own X by X inventory system for weapons to limit what can and can't be equipped in order for the Canon of the Gundam universe to be preserved. You can also switch out the arms and legs and add accessory items to each gundam.
http://www.fototube.pl/pictures/screen06021504rs.jpg
LOL I gave a GM Hizack wings o boi

The battle system is even better. Each boss is very hard. Like painfully difficult. To counter this the game has a boost system. Meaning each weapon you use has an amount of energy it eats up from your total. Energy does refill after every turn and can accumulate allowing you to use ultimate attacks that can turn the tide of battle in your favor or just keep you alive longer. Most random battles can kill you and these random battles are VERY frequent.

Atmosphere: Nothing really special, the visuals are bland and the only things that look good are the Gundams themselves. The music is repetitive as well. The same battle music over and over again will make you want to rupture your ear drums with something very, very sharp. Unfortunately for you by that time the music will play in your head and can only be silenced by a well placed bullet.

Synopsis: Unless you are a fan of RPG's, anime, or Gundam itself you might want to take it upon yourself to use this review as a cautionary write-up about how it will make you vomit. If you are a fan you will thoroughly enjoy the cheesy dialogue and gritty pixelated graphics.

Score: 8/10

Score for non fans: 5.5/10

Seraph
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Wing can go fuck itself, because god did it suck.Hey I liked Gundam Wing!

Anyways, sounds like it's a game really only for Gundam fans. Your review was helpful to me because Anime characters on a box art is one of my weaknesses.

Zachalmighty
11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Mike, Borderlands is in the pipe next because I beat it two, three days ago.

Zachalmighty
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I just received my copy of Dragon Age Origins Collector's Edition and will be reviewing that as well as the DLC for the game separately.