PDA

View Full Version : Devil May Cry 4 Demo

Joe Redifer
01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
So who here besides me has played it? I think it is only available on the Japanese PSN network right now, but it will be available to god-fearing Americans pretty soon.

It's not too bad, though I dislike how the angle changes when you're running around and suddenly you find yourself pressing the wrong direction on the controller and run right back to where you just came from. I thought that the main character's weapon was a guitar, but it's actually a sword and a gun and a whole buncha magic-type moves. He makes fantastic comments like "Slam dunk!" when he throws an enemy down, and it makes me laugh hard and bond with him, thanks Capcom! The music, when there is any, is gawdawful. It even has some grumbling guy doing his best attempt at lyrics on top of 2 chord heavy guitars. "Music" like this ranks right up there with most rap as some of the least entertaining stuff ever created. You play though a short stage which if you beat you will go to the boss. You will run out of time, though. Or you can choose to go straight to the boss where you must use strategy to win.

murray
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Its out on 360 in the Uk too, pulling it down now

Joe Redifer
01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Well then I will move this thread to general gaming!

Joker
01-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I went through the 360 demo and here are the early impressions:

The game looks very nice but the camera switches are confusing especially near stairs. There were glitches too, like disappearing walls/columns as you walk past them. The Berial boss looks awesome, very detailed and stuff.

Conclusion: looks like a "buy" to me. It will probably pull me away from Conan though :(

murray
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Berial was very cool. It looks nice and handle fairly well. i will pick it up...it will past the time until the king of all hack n slash games Ninja Gaiden 2 arrives

Heres some good shots comparing the two demos on PS3 vs 360. for me the 360 has crisper textures...having played both now i can tell you this is the case but the PS3 version handles slightly better for some reason...but only just.

http://www.ps3forums.com/showpost.php?p=2417847&postcount=107

Reko8
01-24-2008, 09:23 PM
I was playing the demo and nothing really seemed that unique. Just seemed like a basic hack and slash with not that many combos, hell I dont even think there were any combos. I hope im missing something fun here

Mistatee
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I liked it better than 3, and its as good as 1.

The combos are about air juggling, and using the devil bringer to pull them back in place.

Also, you can charge the left trigger to power up you next few attacks in between combos.

The boss fight I spent over 1 min plus in the air, which is really fun.

Joe Redifer
01-25-2008, 02:28 AM
I like OZ better (The Sword of Etheria in EU)

Reko8
01-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Can anyone tell me whats good about this game? I think I'm missing the fun stuff, unless this is just an average hack n slash everyone just happens to love

Kiryu1985
01-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Well I haven't played DMC 4, but DMC games are more than hack and slash,in DMC3 you have different styles, combined with weapons, plus I don't think you can simply mash buttons to hack and slash your way with the enemies, skill will be required to dodge and jump around the place, and patience.

Besides this is just the demo, an old one at that, from what i've seen dante can change his styles and weapons on the fly, his Pandora's box, lets him glide, and possibly act as a huge weapon. Nero has new abilities as well, and isn't just an emo dante.

And every game has puzzles, and secrets too, so this should not be any different

Northeastmonk
01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Plus you get the first five or so epidodes of the DMC anime with the collector's edition. I'm looking forward to this game for sure. I reserved it months ago.

Mistatee
01-25-2008, 01:27 PM
You probably dont want the first five episodes, as I have heard the show is pretty blah...

Escaflowne2001
01-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah man, the anime is just plain awful.

RYU
01-25-2008, 08:53 PM
You probably dont want the first five episodes, as I have heard the show is pretty blah...

me too,i like it more than DMC 3.DMC1 is best one.

Northeastmonk
01-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Do the lyrics sound like this; "The flame in your eye has caught your bluff, feel free to die when you've had enough". lol And do they have someone worship the devil during premission? lol That was like my favorite part of DMC3. Yeah. I saw the beginning of the DMC anime. The beginning bar scene looked like 1990 Manga films (which isn't bad), but it seemed like it was ripping off Hellsing.

Joker
01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I am new to the series but could someone tell me the order of the story. I heard it's something like: DMC3 --> DMC1 --> DMC4 --> DMC2 but not sure. I wanna play them all in the correct order to avoid spoilers and such.

Northeastmonk
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
It goes, in order: DMC3, DMC1, DMC2, DMC4

Viewtful Joe and SMT:Nocturne have no story relations. <- Dante appears in both games.

I never liked DMC2. DMC3 was my favorite (until DMC4 releases). Capcom's Marketing guru was on G4 the other day. He mentioned the company tiptoeing away from Achievement points, due to "players running through the game". Which surprised myself, because I don't like achievement people. IMO Anyone going into DMC4 just for achievements are stupid. I guess thats why I'm not buying it for xbox360.

Pikachief
01-26-2008, 01:07 AM
i thoguth they said that the PS3 version also had achievements.... was that a dream? :O

was this a dream too? :O

http://bp0.blogger.com/_u16Mk7z9Zdk/R5a8f8HlkzI/AAAAAAAACV8/kc3QPgBhfeM/s1600/uporg1214234.png

Joker
01-26-2008, 01:13 AM
They are called "accomplishments". Isn't Sony original?

Decado
01-26-2008, 02:45 AM
I find that my initial concerns/impressions from the earlier videos are pretty much confirmed. Pretty average animation and technically it is no better than last generation. It did turn out to be prettier than expected (though it's no HS), though. As already mentioned, a high res DMC3. That said, did anyone else find the gameplay very slow? Nero moves like slug compared to Dante in DMC3. Maybe I'm just projecting my expectations on the game and DMC3 wasn't as fast as I recall.

AI may not be the big factor in a game like DMC4, but it should at least be in evidence. Enemies seem waiting to die (though apparently the demo is locked on easy). Camera was a little awkward for the boss fight.

Northeastmonk
01-27-2008, 01:17 AM
I think its due to the average gamer market, releasing a demo to newfound cable modem owners want something with action, but not the absolute difficult DMC setting. I noticed when I started to pay off my copy of DMC4, I noticed the Collector's Edition was $79.99. Thats way too much for the content that comes with it. Volume 1 may have at least 3 episodes and the wallpapers/screen savers aren't worth the extra $20. So I moved all my money to the standard version. Same with the $90 for the CEGTAIV. If thats the case, then CE should add extra content to the game itself.

Decado
01-27-2008, 01:12 PM
NO CE should add "extra content" to the game itself. That is the *ultimate* insult/rip-off to fans. I've always detested Bioware for doing that on occasion. The cheap fucks.

Kiryu1985
01-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Ruliweb (best video game site) has some HD vids of DMC4:
http://ruliweb.empas.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?page=1&num=15980&find=&ftext=&main=etc

Mistatee
01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Collecters Editions should have:

Art Books
Cloth Maps (if applicable)
Some worth while game memorabilia (please no watch like Growlanser had...)
A better looking case.

Anything else is making the other versions not worth purchasing.
CEs should enhance the gameplay outside of the game.

Northeastmonk
01-28-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm a big t-shirt fan, but I canceled my preorder on Turok after playing the demo and wearing the shirt around town. The last cloth map I've seen was a cleaning DS wipe for DQ: Monsters Joker. I'd also prefer a flashflight or shoelaces (maybe too retro).

Chronos
01-28-2008, 01:36 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zTXDGLQmav0

Sweet stuff right there. Notice all the instant exceeding he does.