PDA

View Full Version : Spinter Cell is on it's way!

Reality
12-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Hey I just read the news on the main page, way cool! Gamecube owners get Prime and Spinter Cell. How sweet is that?

Black Ace
12-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Remember I shot down the whole Splinter Cell no longer coming to GC or PS2 rumor? Now we get bonus stuff! Also, I seen Splinter Cell for GBA, looks pretty sweet.

Caitsith
12-20-2002, 08:10 PM
This is definitely something to talk about... I guess Splinter Cell wanted better sales? I really know nothing about the game other then some news tid-bits here and there.

Is it worth getting into?
(Appease an ignorant gamer and perhaps give out some info on the game such as pro's and con's.)

Mistatee
12-20-2002, 09:30 PM
3 words...
Better on X-Box

p.s. those bonuses that you think are bonuses are downloadable soon on x-box live, plus others, so x-box really has all the bonuses, plus better graphics and control scheme.

Reality
12-20-2002, 10:43 PM
That's a rather ignorant statement since you obviously haven't seen or played the PS2 or GCN versions. As for Graphics the Cube could handle that no problem. It's not like Splinter Cell was pushing any limit's on the Xbox. As for the extras, it's better to get them free then having to download them with Xbox Live. Form what I have heard you guy get to download 5 levels that were originally in that game but removed so you would haft to download them. That's like buying a game from IGN then they have things taken out before giving it to you and the only way to get them is to be a insider.:crazy:

Dark-SMOKU
12-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Mistatee if you are an Xboy, please stay in the Xbox area...we don't want these forums to turn into GS and GF, and i guess IGN. Also, my opinion on Splinter Cell is so so. I played it at Babbages, and although it was cool, how you could hop up walls and stuff, it was kind of boring. I'd rent it first.

Black Ace
12-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Mistatee
3 words...
Better on X-Box

p.s. those bonuses that you think are bonuses are downloadable soon on x-box live, plus others, so x-box really has all the bonuses, plus better graphics and control scheme.

How would you know that it wont be as good as the Xbox? Maybe the PS2 can't do those visuals, but the GameCube can closy produce those effects or even match it.

Alucard
12-21-2002, 12:48 AM
I'm seeing a horrid jaggy as hell ps2 version, and a good GC version with perhaps slight dips in framerate. We aren't talking perfect ports here. The best version will be the PC. So if you want to have fun then grab any of the consoles. If you want to brag about graphics and add-ons, get the PC version. Me, I'd rather Deus Ex 2 anyday then this game.

Mistatee
12-21-2002, 02:20 AM
Ps2 cant handle This game, but the latest screens ive seen for GC do hold his game to the origanal. I wonder if this will be 2 mini-discs like oher GC titles.

And for any skeptics, this game is great. Its more of a try-try again type game invovling stealth and strategy. Bu you probally already know that.

Sinful Sam
12-21-2002, 02:44 AM
March 2003 is not that far away. Hopefully either version doesn?t come out with a crappy port.

Can anybody put up a link with the pics. Unless there ign insider stuff.:irked"

Seska
12-21-2002, 10:24 AM
Mm, jsut finished with the PC demo that was recently released. Yep, Ill be getting it for PC, not any damn console. Highest detail settings and at a resolution of 1600x1200 and its still smooth as silk. :D

XzenoGear
12-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Ps2 cant handle This game, but the latest screens ive seen for GC do hold his game to the origanal. I wonder if this will be 2 mini-discs like oher GC titles.

And for any skeptics, this game is great. Its more of a try-try again type game invovling stealth and strategy. Bu you probally already know that.

does this game have that much FMV/Data? I suppose it will load faster from all versions!:D

Reality
12-21-2002, 05:27 PM
Personally I think people are understating the PS2's power. Only a developer such as Ubi Soft would really know if it could or couldn't. Personally, I think with lot's of work it could.

Bad1
12-21-2002, 05:52 PM
I don't really pay attention to online rumors. But, fact is Splinter Cell always going to be on all 3 consoles, and there was never any doubt in my mind.

As for the xbox wersion being better because of downloadable content.:crazy: Get your facts straight.

panikt
12-21-2002, 08:43 PM
Sorry for annoying you with this silly question
but,What is spinter cell?

Alucard
12-22-2002, 12:58 AM
Splinter Cell is a very well made FPS style game. Think of it as a cross between Metal Gear Solid and Soldier of Fortune. Except this guy never trained in the art of fighting. So if you run out of bullets, you can't use a knife nor punches and kicks. It's to make the game more stealth like so they FORCE the console gamers, who majority are well known for their short patience spans, to be more stealthy and conserve ammo. That last comment isn't a flame, but try and see how a game like Thief would go down on a console. Hell no.

Not sure why I added that last bit. Would have liked a knife that did little damage at least. Or punch and kicks that didn't kill anyone but stunned them.

baratus
12-22-2002, 02:03 AM
3 words...
Better on X-Box

Dude, don't you have anything better to do than worship the Xbox.
Are you some kind of Micro$oft slave trying to get everyone here to join the Gates Cult?

Reality
12-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Man, I was told when I got started in forums the PS2 fanboys would be bad but so far I haven't had any trouble with them. The only trouble I have had is from these Xbox guys.

Alucard
12-22-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Reality
Man, I was told when I got started in forums the PS2 fanboys would be bad but so far I haven't had any trouble with them. The only trouble I have had is from these Xbox guys.

No finger pointing or flaming, but they've quitened down since the XBox and GC came out and their system became the lower of the three graphics wise. Now they stay a little quiet and just point out the great games the system has whenever a console war starts up, which thankfully we dont get on these boards. Though the ps2 fanboys were out in FORCE during the Dreamcast days. They were by far the worst kind of fanboys imaginable.

jammin27
12-22-2002, 11:41 AM
are there any pics on the gc and ps2 vers yet
it will be sad if the developers pull another Wreckless

XzenoGear
12-23-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Xenogear

I would play this game only if my GC blew up & my PS2 got shortened.

because I just cannot stand! that hard drive clicking sound coming from the xbox, it really just gets me annoyed! and another thing, graphically the ram for the xbox is 64 med standard sd ram, but the one for the gamecube is st1 ram or something like that, this ram is allmost twice of the speed faster then the one in your xbox, so that means that the data access on the cube is superior. Have you ever used the Wavebird yet? I have heard that the xbox controller gives you artheritus.

p.s. wait for the new wavebird models, they are supposed to last over 150 hours gameplay plus a rumble feature(soft vibration) and can be apart from the unit over 25 feet!:yikes:

Kid0_oIcarus
12-23-2002, 08:04 PM
Did you.. just quote yourself? :D

Anyway, hey now Mistatee- please tone it down a bit guy- it's cool that you dig your xbox and all- but not everyone else will like the same things you do. And neither shouting or instigating arguments will win anyone over. Oh Mistatee is so loud and obnoxious.. I MUST GET TEH 'BOX!!

It doesn't work like that. :D

Anyway, I'll either get this for my GC or PC depending on which turns out better... seeing as how I can't get my MGS fix on my lil cube and all...
:spinface:

Drunken Savior
12-23-2002, 10:57 PM
I bet the GC version will be soo good that you can't tell the difference between that version and the XBox version. PS2 might be a bit more noticable, but I doubt it'll be an issue. The Gamecube and PS2 versions will have the new levels included (As part of the story? Or sidestories?) but you could download them on XBox live (Unless you don't have broadband...your screwwwed) in no time at all. Ultimately the Xbox version will have the most levels in the end....but how long do we plan on playing this game for? Ubi's gonna make serious dough in the long run.

And all I have to say about this game is that it's pretty damn tough. Though I still try to mess around with the guards ala Snake. It'll be interesting to see if MGS3 will learn anything from Fisher's acts.

Reality
12-23-2002, 11:25 PM
I'm very puzzled about one thing. There is no Press Release conforming the announcement. What does that mean?

http://corp.ubisoft.com/pr_release.htm

Alucard
12-23-2002, 11:45 PM
I think it means ubisoft are lazy in updates.

Reality
12-24-2002, 12:20 AM
Maybe but for a game that was fully attentional to be a multi-console game they sure made it sound very convincing with past press releases it's a Xbox only title.

Black Sugar
12-24-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
I think it means ubisoft are lazy in updates.
Yes we are. :2happy:

silvergun
12-25-2002, 02:13 PM
Maybe but for a game that was fully attentional to be a multi-console game they sure made it sound very convincing with past press releases it's a Xbox only title.
Well, that's exactly what M$ wants them to do. Make everyone believe it's exclusive to Xbox, then release it on other consoles 6 months later.

Reality
12-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. We get a topic ever once in awhile from new members asking if some games are really exclusive or not. Some but not many get surprised when we tell them that they are. Especially when they heard it was Xbox exclusive right of the Xbox.com site. We haft to simply tell them you can't trust the site for all the miss information placed on it. Which is sad.

Havoc2049
12-26-2002, 04:32 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. We get a topic ever once in awhile from new members asking if some games are really exclusive or not. Some but not many get surprised when we tell them that they are. Especially when they heard it was Xbox exclusive right of the Xbox.com site. We haft to simply tell them you can't trust the site for all the miss information placed on it. Which is sad.

And what games are these, that Microsoft says are "Only on Xbox" and are not? Splinter Cell doesn't have the "Only on Xbox" logo. Reality, please point out the games that you are talking about.

This whole rumor was started about Splinter Cell only being on the Xbox because of the Ubisoft web site. Splinter Cell was originally listed for the GC, PC, PS2 and Xbox. Ubisoft then changed the site and listed it only for the PC and Xbox. That is when the rumors started that maybe the Xbox was going to be the only console to get SC. I guess it is cool though, to bash Microsoft and blam them for all of this.

xsarien
12-26-2002, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by AtariX

And what games are these, that Microsoft says are "Only on Xbox" and are not? Splinter Cell doesn't have the "Only on Xbox" logo. Reality, please point out the games that you are talking about.

This whole rumor was started about Splinter Cell only being on the Xbox because of the Ubisoft web site. Splinter Cell was originally listed for the GC, PC, PS2 and Xbox. Ubisoft then changed the site and listed it only for the PC and Xbox. That is when the rumors started that maybe the Xbox was going to be the only console to get SC. I guess it is cool though, to bash Microsoft and blam them for all of this.

Actually, the confusion lies with Splinter Cell's packaging. There are three EBs in my local mall, at least one of them has retail packages for Splinter Cell that both have and don't have the "Only on XBox" logo. There was a promotional box for NBA 2k3 that had the "Only on XBox" stamp as well. It's hard to place any set "blame" when it's happening at this level, but I'd wager that both parties are partially responsible. Someone has to approve it, after all.

That said, it's not technically a lie: Right now Splinter Cell is only on XBox, and if whomever is printing the boxes is willing to suffer the expense of changing the packaging once the exclusivity deal ends, that's Ubi's or Microsoft's problem.

It's pretty sleazy, though, regardless of who makes the decision. Games like "Metroid" or "Super Mario Sunshine" are exclusive; they'll never be on the PS2 or XBox no matter how long you wait. If a 3rd party game is produced in the same manner, then give it the "Only on XBox" stamp. If nothing - whether it's technology or a contract or personal bias on the part of the devlopers - is keeping it on one console, it shouldn't be there period. There's enough confusion in the marketplace without these marketing games.

Reality
12-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by AtariX

Sure. Ok? Just about...4 weeks ago. One of our posters made a topic of when he visited the official Xbox site (Xbox.com) he posted this quote. "SEGA Sports NHL 2K3, exclusive for Xbox, marks the first time console gamers will be able to play hockey online." He posted it because he was just going to pick up the title for his Gamecube and had already seen it in store so reading this was very weird. If he had not known it was for the Gamecube it sure would have sounded very convincing it was only for the Xbox. I mean, it is a official source. Again though we only get these kinds of topics every so often. So finding another one would be very hard. I hope this is enough of a example.

Mohtools
12-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Looks like Metal Gear?

Renegade X
12-26-2002, 05:39 PM
While it's true the Splinter Cell for the PS2 and GC will come with extra content, I wouldn't throw it in the face of xbox owners, they'll also get the extra content but they'll get it threw XBOX Live download instead, and for that matter what happens when the second batch of extra content is out, Nintendo had absolutely not solid online plans or a hard drive, and the PS2 still doesn't have a hard drive either, also, are you all wondering why it's taking 6 months after the XBOX release has come out for it to come out for all the others.... one thing, they're having to done down the lighting engine and for the PC release their having to make it so you can tweak with the engine. Don't label me a XBOX fan boy because I'm more psyched about Wind Waker and FFX-2 than I am about this extra Splinter Cell content, but the fact is, in the long run, if your really wanting to get the best out of Splinter Cell, the XBOX or PC is the only and I do mean ONLY ways to go..... unless Sony nice enough to give the rest of the world a HARD DRIVE for our PS2s.

Bad1
12-27-2002, 04:50 PM
I think it kind of stinks that people who have the xbox version of the game have to have Xbox Live to get the extra content. I would have rather waited the extra 6 months. But if I had the xbox and already suscribed to Live, it might be different.

acres
12-27-2002, 11:39 PM
I have all three system's. I won't be getting Splinter Cell on any of them. Played a friend's wasn't really into it.

It's not to good that Xbox owners will have to download the extra content that PS2 and GC owners will have out of the package. I guess that's the way thing's work though. MS wanted it Xbox Only for so long so the game maker's had longer to work on the PS2 and GC version.

Seeing that there are alot of people with Splinter Cell for Xbox (more than TJ&E3 & MX Superfly which has download extra content also), maybe just maybe they will put the extra content on the OXM Demo Disc like what they did with the DOA3 add-ons. Have the option to download off LIVE too.

Oh and with the NHL 2K3. It depend's on how you read it. "SEGA Sports NHL 2K3, exclusive for Xbox, marks the first time console gamers will be able to play hockey online." You read it as it's an Xbox Only game. I read it as it's the only system with the online play. Gotta look where the "," are at.

Reality
12-28-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by acres
Oh and with the NHL 2K3. It depend's on how you read it. "SEGA Sports NHL 2K3, exclusive for Xbox, marks the first time console gamers will be able to play hockey online." You read it as it's an Xbox Only game. I read it as it's the only system with the online play. Gotta look where the "," are at.

That's just the deal. Any one could word that better to clear it out perfectly but Xbox.com word it like that so you would read as it's Xbox exclusive. Using the excuse of "You just read it wrong" is their safe net if you would.

Drunken Savior
12-28-2002, 04:17 AM
Downloading shouldn't be a problem. Everyone will be using broadband, and I doubt levels take that long to download. How long do they plan to make missions is the real question.