PDA

View Full Version : Reko's Awesome 360 Reviews

Reko8
12-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Hello again folks. This is Reko giving his second shot at a review thread. Before, I tried to review all kinds of stuff before, but this time, I'm sticking strictly to the XBOX 360. Currently, it is the only system I'm playing and there is a lack of 360 reviews on the Magicbox forums. Stuff is being changed around too.

My rating system will be worded and will be from 1-5 (1 obviously being the lowest). The stuff I rate will differ from game to game. Every game will have their graphics/setting and their gameplay/fun factor rated. Some games will get a story rating, others will not. I'm also putting in a misc rating for some games, which is strictly for that game. For example: I review Silent Hill 2 and I put an extra rating in for the horror. Another rating every game will get will be my personal opinion on the game. Then everything will be averaged together for a final score.

Here are the translations for my personal ratings. Instead of using regular numbers to rate things, each number will be translated into a word that I think suits.

1=Tossed Salad
2=Cold Shower
3=Pretty Sweet
4=Freakin Awesome
5=Orgasmic

List of Reviewed Games:
Call of Duty 2 (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=454954#post454954) - Pretty Sweet
Call of Duty 4 (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=457430#post457430) - Orgasmic
Conan (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=459253#post459253) - Freakin Awesome
Crackdown (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=454952#post454952) - Pretty Sweet
Enchanted Arms (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=457347#post457347) - Cold Shower
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=454953#post454953) - Freakin Awesome

http://www.freewebs.com/reko8888/Reviews/SANY0114.JPG
In Reko we trust (with reviews) =D

Reko8
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Crackdown
http://www.freewebs.com/reko8888/Reviews/SANY0117.JPG

Graphics/Setting: Pretty Sweet
First off, the scheme of the graphics is pretty sweet. I know Crackdown is based off of a comic and the cel-shaded environment works really well. To me though, the graphics don't seem like they're as good as they could have been. I think the graphics are better than the original xbox could deliver, but not as good as 360 standards. The environment is pretty sweet as well, but it does get repetitive. Every time I'm trying to go somewhere, I usually have to pull up my map a few times to get there. There's not a lot of distinctive buildings where I know I've been and keep track of what's near it. What I do love about the environment is where the bosses are located. They each have their own little area whether it be a beach or a Chinese tower.

Gameplay/Fun Factor: Freakin Awesome
Crackdown without a doubt is a fun sandbox title. But it's better than any ordinary sandbox title, it's a sandbox game with super human powers. Yay! This is what makes Crackdown. Without the uber jumping or the super strength, this game would suck. There's times where you could just jump from rooftop to rooftop without getting bored. This makes the game fun for what it is.

My Opinion of the Game: Pretty Sweet
The game was a fun time, but for me, after all of the bosses were killed, I had no goals left. I tried going back into it (with all of the bosses dead) and it truthfully wasn't that good. After you kill all of the gang bosses, all of the bad guys go away. It's all cops running around. When I went back into the game, I played for about an hour and found only one car full of baddies. The only way I could get enjoyment again would be to start a new game. Breaking into forts and killing the bosses was an awesome experience though. The expression on their faces when I threw a car at them will always be priceless.

Final Score: Pretty Sweet
Even though the gameplay was awesome, the game became useless after you were done killing the bosses.

Reko8
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
http://www.freewebs.com/reko8888/Reviews/SANY0227.JPG

Graphics/Setting: Orgasmic
Oh my jeebus are the graphics awesome. This is another cel-shaded game for the 360 based on the first 80 episodes of Naruto. This is how Naruto should like in this awesomely rendered world. All the textures and basically everything you see in the Leaf Village looks amazing. The outside of the village has great level design as well. The tree running sequences look beautiful, the way they're meant to be. Just running around in the village occupied me for hours. Everything in the village is so distinct and was worked on so well.

Gameplay/Fun Factor: Pretty Sweet
Sadly, this area had to go down a few points. Don't get me wrong though, the game is excellent and is very fun, for a while. Usually the gameplay involves doing stupid little missions and then there's the main story line quests. The stupid little missions are repetitive and they make you go into the same area over and over again. The main quest line is what was good about the missions though. You followed the story line from the show as close as the designers could get it. The fighting is also done quite well. It is not the deepest thing in the world and is cheap (at times), but it isn't the worst thing in the world.

Anime to Game Transition: Freakin Awesome
One thing that made my jaw drop was how well this game followed the story of the anime. You only played as Naruto, but you experienced most of the fights he dealt with in the show. It was nice to actually run to the place you had to go instead of the still screen conversations that happen in most fighting games. My personal favorite though is when they showed the actually anime in place of in-game cutscenes, which mixed wonderfully.

My Opinion of the Game: Freakin Awesome
Naruto gave me an awesome ride from start to finish. Even though the game is short (took about 8 hours), I loved almost every minute of it (those side quests were stupid).The online kept me going though for many more hours as they have a creative tourney system set up. This is probably just my inner fan boy kicking in though. I love the first 100 episodes of Naruto and having them being portrayed so well is awesome. It's like having your favorite book being perfectly translated into a movie.

Final Score: Freakin Awesome
With great gameplay, graphics, and a perfect transition from the anime, it's hard not to give this game a high score, but the repetitive side quests and kind of cheap fighting held it back a little.

Reko8
12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Call of Duty 2
http://www.freewebs.com/reko8888/Reviews/SANY0118.JPG

Graphics/Setting: Freakin Awesome
Oh boy, war is certainly beautiful. Call of Duty always has a lot of stuff rendered with a lot of things going on at once. Soldiers left and right shooting, dieing, and yelling orders gives the game a great look. Up close, some the textures look like crap, but the game is definitely an improvement from it's previous installment. The complaint I have is how bland looking some things are. The Russian campaign was a pain to get through because of this. No offense to Russia, but a lot of things in Russia look alike. It might be because of the snow, but all of the other missions had an awesome look to it.

The gameplay is accurate and sweet for a World War II shooter. Being part of a big war is awesome and it is very fun to be a part of it. The shooting is fun and is very realistic. Not every shot will hit and the zoom isn't perfect (good thing). Some things do get out of hand though and it very unrealistic at some parts. No history books say this, but apparently some German's can take 3 shots to the chest before they die. There is fun to be had, but I for a shooter, I would like at other places.

Veteran difficulty is the only mode I played in because I didn't find any point to play the other ones. The game breaks the boundaries of realism to be harder on you. Being harder on me results in me breaking a controller. Seriously though, it's ridiculous when you are part of a squad of about six guys and as soon as the German's see just you, they only fire at you and all of them throw a frag at you. This gets ridiculous. Everywhere I go, there are six frags at my feet. The intense unrealistic difficulty made me judge this game as only pretty sweet.

Final Score: Pretty Sweet
A very fun World War II shooter that's pretty realistic, but be cautious if you want to play on the Veteran difficulty.

Paper exe
12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
What about Wii!11!!! :(

Nindalf
12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
I've known two people named Reko in my life, and I've hated them both.

Seraph
12-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Great Review thread Reko. We could use a bunch of 360 reviews. As long as your taking pictures of your games, why not take screenshots as well?

I'm not a big Naruto fan, but I really want to play that game.

Reko8
12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Great Review thread Reko. We could use a bunch of 360 reviews. As long as your taking pictures of your games, why not take screenshots as well?

I'm not a big Naruto fan, but I really want to play that game.

Well, I don't think the screens would be that great if I just took a picture of my TV. So it will probably be better without it

Reko8
01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Enchanted Arms
http://www.freewebs.com/reko8888/Reviews/SANY0228.JPG

Graphics/Setting: Cold Shower
Enchanted Arms is one of the first next gen RPG's that made its way to the 360. Now the game definitely has great graphics, but some things do look un-natural. The cut scenes are beautiful and everything looks great about them except for the face gestures. Most of the faces look like plastic dolls in my opinion. The setting is extremely average for a 30-40 hour long RPG. The whole game consists of a mere 4 towns and the paths that go between them. Occasionally there are dungeons that are the most stereotypical looking thing. The plain looking areas and the small world brings this score down.

This game is like an old school RPG in my eyes. There are random encounters and you can take your time in battle. I used to like random encounters because there used to be really nothing else, but in next gen games, there kinda is no reason for it anymore. By the end of the game, I was getting really annoyed by it. The battles are fun for me and take strategy and it is different from the norm. Walking from place to place gets tedious as well. There are no warps from one small village to the other, so you'll find yourself walking a lot. Even though the battles are fun, there is a lot of repetition which can get annoying after 30 hours.

Story: Tossed Salad
The story in Enchanted Arms is the plainest bagel of the stack. Imagine the most stereotypical RPG story, now put it in this game. Lead character is different from everyone else, he must save world with a bunch of misfits, and there's some god that's going to destroy everything. This story lacks anything original. The only thing I could find is that basically everyone gets laid at the end and the tranny gets a little kissy poo. The story is also most of the game too, so if you can't stand plain stories, steer away.

When I bought this game back in September, I couldn't remember the last time I played a true RPG. Most of the time when I played through this game, I was pretty happy because I haven't experienced an RPG in a long time. After beating it and then moving on to Blue Dragon is when I realized this game isn't actually that good, it is really average. It's as if I hadn't had a smoke in a real long time and then a pile of crappy cigarettes were on the side of the road and they tasted magical. If I never realized how deathly average this game was, it would have definitely gotten a higher score.

Final Score: Cold Shower
If you're looking for just an average Japanese RPG, this is the game for you, but if you want something original, you'll be dissapointed.

Reko8
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Call of Duty 4
http://www.freewebs.com/reko8888/Reviews/SANY0231.JPG

Graphics/Setting: Orgasmic
Call of Duty 4, without a doubt, is one of the most beautiful games out there for the 360. Everything in this game looks great and I don't have anything to complain about. The animations are smooth, people move like people, and the textures look great. The setting takes place in the future in a war that hasn't happened yet. The environment is not plain and it's easy to recognize all of the places you've been. Unlike Call of Duty 2, you're not running through the same generic city over and over again.

Gameplay/Fun Factor: Orgasmic
Almost every mission you're doing something different. Whether it be shoot someone from a mile away with a .50 cal or rescuing a squad in a herd of Russians. The missions in Call of Duty 4 are much more memorable than it's predecessor. Veteran mode is more realistic than Call of Duty 2. The opposition doesn't treat you like you're the only one they're fighting anymore, but it's still ridiculously hard. Expect to die a lot from Russians with 100% accuracy, but completing something difficult is always rewarding. People say this game is short, but only if you play on hardened or lower, on veteran, it takes a while to complete each mission because of the intense difficulty. I'd rather have 10 hours of awesome missions than 20 hours of repetitive missions.

Online: Orgasmic
If you don't have Live, there is no point to buying this game. You can rent it to beat the single player, but buy it for the multiplayer. The online is probably the best I've seen for a 1st person shooter. All the maps are great, there's a bunch of game types, and there's a leveling system that's really balanced. The leveling system is fun and you can unlock things that you can use on the field, like last stand, where when you die, you can shoot your pistol a few times before you die. The challenges to do things encourages you to keep playing online. The leveling isn't unbalanced either where someone really high can still just as easily get killed by someone who just started playing.

My Opinion: Orgasmic
I did beat the single player on veteran in a week, but it was a crazy good time. I was most happy on how much the veteran difficulty improved over Call of Duty 2. The online is something I'll be definitely be coming back to to play with my friends for a good time. There's not many negatives to say about this title except that if you don't have live, you may be a little disappointed with just the single player campaign.

Final Score: Orgasmic
Call of Duty 4 has a great single player campaign and great online play, but if you don't have live, this game should be just a rental.

Seraph
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I am interested in Enchanted Arms. Is that the game with the gay guy?

My "freinds" at school keep raving about how fun CoD4 is over Live. I'm not a fan of console FPS's but the way they talk about it even sounds fun to me.

Reko8
01-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I am interested in Enchanted Arms. Is that the game with the gay guy?

My "freinds" at school keep raving about how fun CoD4 is over Live. I'm not a fan of console FPS's but the way they talk about it even sounds fun to me.

Yeah, I mention the transexual in the review. He wants to marry one of the male main characters. Thankfully he only acts gay in the beginning and end of the game.

And yeah CoD4 is awesome on live. I havent played a console FPS online since Rainbow Six 3 a few years ago.

Paper exe
01-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Seraph don't bother with enchanted arms like what Riko said it is very average.

Alexander
01-11-2008, 10:40 PM
CoD4 is sweet!

Havoc2049
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
A girl who likes to Toss Salad = Orgasmic.

Seraph
01-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I mention the transexual in the review.Oh, I didnt realize he was a transexual, I just thought he/she was gay.

Anyways, I love the stereotypical gay guy. For some reason the girlyness and lisp always make me laugh. I remember watching trailers for that game over and over for lulz.

Mistatee
01-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I always switched the voices back to english whenever he was about to talk
then to Japanese for everyone else

Reko8
01-15-2008, 06:40 PM
A girl who likes to Toss Salad = Orgasmic.

I put tossed salad as the lowest score because I don't want to be the one tossing someone's salad in prison

Reko8
01-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Conan
http://www.freewebs.com/reko8888/Reviews/SANY0348.JPG

Graphics/Setting: Pretty Sweet
By Crom there are a lot of breasts and gore in this game. I'm surprised FOX News didn't rip on this game. If you don't know anything about Conan, he is the manliest man of the Norse world. The story of this game is that Conan was knocked out and his equipment was turned into monsters. Conan wakes up on a beach and the game is you hunting down your armor and going after this guy. Conan's in game play looks awesome. The moves are smooth and beautiful. The cut scenes where it shows character models up close is weird looking. This doesn't affect the grade much, but the water looks horrible in this game. The setting takes you to typical Norse places such as Arabian looking palaces, mountains, and the dark caves. So from far away, everything looks great, but up close the game isn't anything extraordinary.

Gameplay/Fun Factor: Freakin Awesome
By Crom this kind of looked like an average hack n' slash game, but it doesn't play like one. When I first played this game, I detested it, but it grows on you. As Conan, you use 3 types of weapons, one handed, duel wield, or two handed. As you play the game, you unlock combos that Conan can use. I usually just mash buttons, but the game has you unlock new combos by using the ones you have. This system had me learning combos like nuts and I learned different combos that made the game even better. A lot of enemies also have different strategies to take them down. Different weapons and combos work on certain enemies and not all of them. The boss fights are like God of War where they are huge and interactive with button presses. Unlike God of War, there's a shit load of boss fights.

My Opinion of the Game: Freakin Awesome
By Crom I'm a sucker for Conan. There's nothing manlier than Conan. He kills everyone, takes no shit, and provides super slam sessions to needy women. So me being gay for Conan made me love this game a lot more. Just playing the game makes me feel like a badass. Walking in on me during a play session looks weird cause when I died I got super pissed cause Conan doesn't die. Usually I'm not into Norse mythology unless Conan is involved. This game kinda plays like God of War, but in my opinion, God of War sucks compared to this game just because Conan is way more awesome than Kratos.

Final Score: Freakin Awesome
Conan is nothing ground breaking, but it is definitely better than most average hack n' slash games.