PDA

View Full Version : IGN UK reviews Heavenly Sword

fruitsofherwomb
08-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Closing Comments
So, all that in mind, is Heavenly Sword a bad game? No, it’s not – although it certainly seems that someone, somewhere, forgot to ensure they were piling those glorious peripheral trimmings on a game worthy of all that Sony gold. Combat is undoubtedly the title’s strength and offers some immensely satisfying thrills when you actually get your hands on your sword. Projectile combat, too, is entertaining in its own right – although nowhere near enough to carry such lengthy sequences as is demanded here. What you’re paying for then with Heavenly Sword is the grandiose spectacle, the overblown production values and the chance to show just what your PS3’s capable of when given the chance. It’s a benchmark in presentation for console gaming and the lavishness of the show might well be enough for you to overcome the game’s significant failings. There’s definitely some kind of fun to be had here – albeit of the one-engaged brain cell variety – but make no mistake: Heavenly Sword takes the age-old mantra of style over substance and drags it kicking and screaming into the next generation.

IGN UK Ratings for Heavenly Sword (PS3)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
Superficially at least, Heavenly Sword is an almost impeccable display of sheer, unrestrained talent.
9.0 Graphics
Minor framerate and tearing issues aside, Heavenly Sword is an absolute tour de force of visual splendour.
8.5 Sound
Voice acting, effects work and soundtrack hit all the rights buttons with gusto, although occassional dodgy level mixing hurts.
6.0 Gameplay
As solid as its component parts are, poor design decisions and awful structure mean they never make for a cohesive, satisfying whole.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
Despite the wealth of combos and extras to unlock, you'll be constantly battling with tedium on subsequent play-throughs.
Decent OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Alexander
08-24-2007, 09:09 AM
go ps3

darren
08-24-2007, 09:23 AM
another killer AP bites the dust

first lair now this .. :( ... i rachet is out in Oct so fingers crossed there will be finally something to play on my ps3 .. other than hot shots golf which is the PSP verison in HD ... stil fun though .

Diavle
08-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Not saying HS is good since I have only seen vids but IGN is the last place I would trust, for beat-em-ups in particular.

Reality
08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
I concur. They rated those LotR games pretty highly and I found those to be garbage.

darren
08-24-2007, 03:01 PM
after playing the demo to death it is was quite clear this game was going to be all style and no substance .. and this review and the 6/10 Edge game it tend to suggest the same ..i mean for starts there is auto blocking and no jump

Diavle
08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
I concur. They rated those LotR games pretty highly and I found those to be garbage.

GoW2 got a 9.7, enough said.

i mean for starts there is auto blocking

Doesn't hurt Tekken.

and no jump

God Hand says hi.

darren
08-24-2007, 03:28 PM
auto block sux ass as does Tekken .. so does no jump in a fighting game like this .. it would be like NG having no jump .. crap ...

like i said having played it all style no substance

justin_credible
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
The review started with closing comments. Is that a UK thing or something? I thought closing comments were usually at the end but what do I know?

Diavle
08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
auto block sux ass as does Tekken .. so does no jump in a fighting game like this .. it would be like NG having no jump .. crap ...

like i said having played it all style no substance

Not liking Tekken is not the issue here, I have never heard complaints about the auto-block.

And have you played God Hand? I'm saying this because the concept was alien to me before it, but after playing it I really don't care for jumping in beat-em-ups at all.

Alexander
08-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I loved God Hand but I also love jumping.

So I guess that means I hate you both = (

Kiuju2k
08-24-2007, 05:15 PM
with all that rip roaring high flying action there is no jump? weird.

Dr. Bombay
08-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Edge gave it a 6/10.

So...yeah. Looks like I'm not buying a PS3 until late next year.

Tavish
08-24-2007, 07:22 PM
So whats left... Little Big Planet and MGS4?

I'm beginning to think that the Wii lineup isn't so weak after all.

Kiuju2k
08-24-2007, 07:34 PM
with all that rip roaring high flying action there is no jump? weird.

What he said.

fruitsofherwomb
08-24-2007, 10:57 PM
The review started with closing comments. Is that a UK thing or something? I thought closing comments were usually at the end but what do I know?
Just put the last part, since no one bothers reading the whole review! :P

shaselai
08-25-2007, 12:23 AM
people shouldn't care about reviews... if you like it and it looks cool or liked the demo then buy it... The reviewers dont have a degree in reviewing games and it is only their opinion..

darren
08-25-2007, 05:28 AM
the US IGN team seem think the same aswell (7/10)

Heavenly Sword comes very close to being great, but nearly every element of its design falls short in one way or another. The combo system is quite good, though it has a few holes (like no specific block button). The battles quickly become very repetitive due to a lack of interesting enemies and the "arena" battles that frequently pause your progress. Kai's sniper missions work well in theory but can be overly long, and some of the extra bits like the button matching mini-games needed a bit more fine-tuning. Heavenly Sword's presentation is stellar and nicely ties the action sequences together, but we just wish that the same amount of care that went into these cutscenes were applied to the game's pacing.

RYU
08-25-2007, 11:50 AM
that bad because I plan to buy it when release it

Decado
08-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds like a good rental.

justin_credible
08-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Just put the last part, since no one bothers reading the whole review! :P

Yeah I know it was a horrible, horrible joke I apologize to everyone and all of your families as well.

Black Sugar
08-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I was beginning to get suspicious when i've seen all those making-off video. When a studio tend to focus on technology to showcase their game and not gameplay, it make me wonder.

To bad , I was planning to buy a PS3 sorely for that game.

Reviewers might not hold the ultimate truth, but I trust them enough to give me an good idea of what i'm buying. I won't buy a 60dolalrs game when it got 7 as score from a lot known games websites.

A rental.

Drunken Savior
08-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I saw a video for it on the 1up show. It looked pretty basic. A combat system from the N64. Then they talked about the decision to go with one style of hair with another. That was a big red flag right there.

progmetal
08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
If anyone cares, this is all the reviews for Heavenly sword so far:

Play Magazine 10/10
Tilt.TV 10/10
PSXtreme Magazine 9/10
Doupe.cz: 9/10
EGM:Heavenly Sword 8, 8, 9
Gamepro 4.5/5
The Officiel Playstation Magazine 89%
PSW*Uk mag*8/10
IGN US 7/10
Edge 6/10

Alexander
08-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Hm. Seems like a rental to me.

sideshow
09-01-2007, 09:55 PM
No PS3 for me either this year unless Ratchet and Clank FT is more tempting.

The fact that there is no manual block in this game hurts it tremendously.

justin_credible
09-01-2007, 10:17 PM
It's almost like the life of PS3 itself will depend on MGS 4. Seeing that each sequel has sold less than the other before it in the series that's not a good thing. But I do thing MGS 4 will do better than 3 (which I don't believe even sold a million) or at least it better.

darren
09-02-2007, 04:28 AM
has MGS ever been a systm seller?

i'v always thought it was one of those games thats for gamers, and doesn't do that good a job a sellgin systems. personally i'v never heard anyone say i must buy a ps1, ps2 or ps3 for that new MGS game ..

Sinful Sam
09-02-2007, 04:49 AM
I thought MGS2 for PS2 was a system seller. I just remember seeing the demo that came with ZOE and thinking how great the game was.

fruitsofherwomb
09-02-2007, 04:56 AM
I want a PS3 for MGS4, does that count :indiff:

darren
09-02-2007, 06:36 AM
but u are a gamer. thats my point... your genral high street monkey hasn't lapped up MGS byt the bucket load in the past, where they buy sysems by the truck load. .. might change with MGS4 as there not a lot else to sell the system right now, but in the past i'v never said MGS games were big time system sellers ..

spider-prime
09-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I liked Heavenly Sword when I tried the demo, it reminded me of a easier Ninja Gaiden.