PDA

View Full Version : New Worldwide sales figures!

DBJAY
12-11-2002, 04:25 PM
"The opportunity is to grab more revenue from the 47 million people who already have a PlayStation2, a GameCube (10 million), or an Xbox (8.2 million)."

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2002/tc20021210_5333.htm

Good article as well.

gabriel
12-11-2002, 05:07 PM
There was a raging debate about these figures over at gamefaqs (you know how it is). Apparently those are "predicted" numbers, or some such. Either way, it says what we've all known for ages: The PS2 is way ahead, with the Xbox and Gamecube battling it out for second.

Cobi*
12-13-2002, 11:40 PM
we all knew sony was on top but good gravy!! 8) 47 million?

i'd love to find out how console sales compare after the holidays.

XzenoGear
12-14-2002, 08:36 PM
10 million(estimated) is not bad for 1 years work!

XzenoGear
12-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Xbox has sold less then 8 million.:spinface:

Lionheart
12-15-2002, 02:25 AM
Out of the 47 million PS2s sold, a lot of them are just replacements. I heard people buy a PS2 and modchip it, then the console breaks and they have to buy a new one.

Remember a few months ago, Resident Evil's director, Shinji Mikami was attacking Sony's hardware? He does have a good point.

Zod
12-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Oh well. When you mod a console, you're forcing it to read formats it was specifically designed not to read as part of it's security. You have to expect a few to screw up as a result.

Cobi*
12-16-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Lionheart
Out of the 47 million PS2s sold, a lot of them are just replacements. I heard people buy a PS2 and modchip it, then the console breaks and they have to buy a new one.

Remember a few months ago, Resident Evil's director, Shinji Mikami was attacking Sony's hardware? He does have a good point.

yes, i'm sure that has happened 47 million times :rolleyes:

you know if people were just replacing their ps2's and inflating sony's numbers artificially then how do you explain how well the software sells?

i understand what you are saying, because i had a crappy ps2 that broke down on me, but there are still far more ps2's out there that belong to unique users than xbox's, or gc's. the breaking down incidents or replacements don't account for that much. at least not so much to inflate sales to 47 million.

Canton
12-16-2002, 02:42 AM
Also, we should keep in mind that Xbox is likely to be third place in wordlwide sales figures because of one territory..Japan. The impact of Tawain and the new markets are wildcards, but all in all the dominance of Sony in Japan, and the loyal Nintendo following in Japan, will always put Xbox in third worldwide.

XzenoGear
12-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Canton
Also, we should keep in mind that Xbox is likely to be third place in wordlwide sales figures because of one territory..Japan. The impact of Tawain and the new markets are wildcards, but all in all the dominance of Sony in Japan, and the loyal Nintendo following in Japan, will always put Xbox in third worldwide.

*Xenogear Claps* Very well said Canton!:D

Alucard
12-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Modchips do not break your console. It is not forcing the system to read anything different. It still reads CDs and DVDs, the same ones that games come on.

Zod
12-24-2002, 11:21 AM
The PS/2 has measures in place to deliberately prevent it to read certain things, which is why it won't play ROM's or imports without modding. When you mod it, you do force it to read the things it was designed not to read.

Mistatee
12-24-2002, 02:11 PM
If you dont keep your Ps2 in well cooled or venelated areas, then i will die on you, due to its sub-par ventalation system. Not saying all 47 million are replacements, bu atleast 3-7 million are. Sadly thats alittle less then the # of X-Box's sold.

Seska
12-24-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Zod
The PS/2 has measures in place to deliberately prevent it to read certain things, which is why it won't play ROM's or imports without modding. When you mod it, you do force it to read the things it was designed not to read.

Industry burnt media includes certain bad sectors in the cd/dvd which the PS2 is designed to read and recognize. When the "bad" sectors do not match the parameters of your region, or are not contained in the media at all (such as by burning a game you download off the net) the PS2 will not load that CD/DVD.

What most PS2 modchips do is bypass this sector scanning process by booting a bootup disc (original, like Action Replay or DVD Region X), then swapping the CD for your own homebrew one. All the modchip does is "trick" the PS2 into scanning for these sectors only once, so there is really no strain at all on the cd unit, it loads the game like any other.

The 100% no swap modchips use a totally different system that involves hacking the bios and compeltely disabling the bad sector scan, making the PS2 into something akin to a developer PS2. However, these chips draw on the power the PS2 uses, and some people have reported Messiah-chips and their clones to actually be harmful to your PS2.

Still, neither of these modchips affect the reading capacity of your PS2's DVD unit. DVD units failing is usually due to dust, and/or crap quality in PS2 hardware.

SoldaatCid
12-25-2002, 11:43 AM
They are 47 million cosoles sold, Ps2's, Game Cubes AND Xboxes,
so 28,8 million Ps2's, 10 million Game Cubes and 8,2 million Xboxes,

>>>SoldaatCid<<<

Eclipse
12-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Xenogear
Xbox has sold less then 8 million.:spinface:

Yet, you conveniently believed the Gamecube numbers on the same article :rolleyes:

Escaflowne2001
12-30-2002, 02:14 PM
Well apprantly the X-Box outsells the GC 2:1 here in the UK not really a surprise as Nintendo are really bad with PAL release date and Microsoft release publish alot of titles in PAL that no one else were gonna do like Steel Battalion and Shenmue 2 to name 2. ;)

Alucard
12-30-2002, 02:31 PM
Well Shenmue2 already came out in Europe on the Dreamcast. Plus you dont get 3 free games and a dvd kit with your Gamecube. You do with your XBox. Thats the main reason its doing so well.

Escaflowne2001
12-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Yes but being one of the last DC games here in Europe apart from PSO Version 2 not many people brought it.

Alucard
12-30-2002, 11:40 PM
Well they're silly silly people. Even I imported it. Slack I tell you!

Escaflowne2001
12-31-2002, 06:47 AM
Yes I agree but that's the way alot of people are I'm just waiting for bloody Shenmue 3...grrr...:(