PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Box

discobox
04-17-2002, 08:50 PM
Just a post to praise the Magic Box. I have been reading it for a bloody long time (2 years +) and in my opinion it is one of the best gaming new sites on the internet.
Keep up the fantastic work.

Tashi Tashi
04-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Agreed. This is my favorite site. Before it was my second favorite, but thegia died. Wah, *sniffle*:(

Overlord
04-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Oh man was I mad when The Gia closed down. The reason I liked them so much was because they covered some games that other games didn't. They also had a lot media.

I still don't see why they had to close on April Fools...

The-Magicbox is also a great site. I personally go here more than I go to Gamespot and some other sites.

Wolf
04-17-2002, 09:24 PM
I thought that was just an April Fool's joke. But after a week of checking back constantly. TheGIA is no more. :(

So Gaming-Age and MagicBox are now my prime sites for news. RPGFan and the new COremagazine, Xengamers are also great sites.

IGN has went downhill since they established Insider and Gamespot isn't as cool as it used to be. Great coverage, but sometimes a lil too political. It's about the games man!!

Overlord
04-17-2002, 09:51 PM
Gamespot is also beggining to look a little dated. Probably nother reason why I don't go there anymore.

Its not really IGN's fault that they need money, it's just that Snowball is going bankrupt. But I still won't pay for Insider, since I can get the same information eleswhere. And for free.

You guys should also check out allrpg.com if your into RPG's.

Gamefaqs is another site I go to often. A good alternative to IGN Guides and cheats. I mean 4 Million hits a day can't be wrong...

jammer
04-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Hello.

Been a loyal reader of the-magicbox for a few years as well. It's a great read to see what games to import since some of them don't make it to the Western world.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
jammer

Tifa's Knight
04-17-2002, 10:16 PM
The magic box is a damn fine site. :D

LiquidSnake
04-17-2002, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I agree with everyone. This has become my favorite site for THE best news in gaming. I, too, will miss the GIA, as it as also a great site that covered obscure games, mainstream games, and did it with style (unlike IGN, which I stopped reading many, many months ago). So, now this site is now my fav of them all :)

dog$
04-18-2002, 01:17 AM
MagicBox is all I've needed for years now. Unlike some people I know how to cut the chaff from the wheat.

I'm not missing TheGIA's presence.

Evapilot
04-18-2002, 03:26 AM
Kudos to The Magic Box.

I've used it as a reliable source on my site for some three years now, and it continues to be updated with fresh news on a near-daily basis.

You'd think, though, for an IGN supported site, they'd put them up on their own server, instead of living off of Geocities.

snuffaluffagus9
04-18-2002, 04:04 AM
I just started coming to this site a few months ago and I find it to be very reliable and I really dig their Japanese coverage. I plan to be a freqeunt here.

I visit Ign sometimes but my favs are:

Xengamers.com
Magicbox.com (of course)
Planetgamecube.com
and the Ignboards (The Free one anyway)

Nokman
04-18-2002, 04:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that the MagicBox is all I will ever need in a game news site. Short to the point and just the facts.

Andy
04-18-2002, 04:41 AM
If yuo want a nice new site, check out "www.the-sugoi.com".
It's all in French, but it has a lot of news about japanese games and anime.
Let me know if you enjoy it.
If you have trouble in reading french, use the Altavista translator.
Sayounara.

Koffdrop
04-18-2002, 06:10 AM
I have to agree with all you folk - The Magic Box is a great gaming news web-site and it gets straight to the point too.

It's refreshing to still see an up-to-date succesful site that hasn't sold out for exclusives or whorred itself out to advertisers.

Excellent work!

Incidentally, TheGIA is dead but some of their staff will be at www.gameforms.com when it opens in May.

As a UK gamer I also recommend Computer and Video Games' (http://www.computerandvideogames.com) web site. Ok, so they'll preview games that are not out in Europe which are out in the US but their news stories are pretty good and fill in some gaps in the scene.

Hey, it doesn't ALL happen in Japan! :D

Lucifel
04-18-2002, 06:21 AM
Totally agree here, great site and very informative been coming here for years, and hoping to keep coming here for many more. :)

Sandman
04-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Its a great site:D

Emperor Ben
04-18-2002, 09:40 AM
Magic Box has always been my main source of gaming news. No frills, just reliable and fast gaming news. Love the Consoles and Games sales charts too.

05pro
04-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Got to agree, the MB is the best all round site for providing up to date Japanese gaming info on the web, thanks to all involved.

The only other English language resource that's worth a look is

http://boards.gamers.com/messages/overview.asp?name=tekcadet

THE Japanese gaming resource where anyone can join in. If you use MB to learn about the Japanese side of things then please drop by The Fanitsu Project too. All forms of Japanese TV games are covered, reviewed, discsussed and debated along with up to the minute Japanese gaming news.

Hope to see some new faces dropping by!

Rubeus
04-18-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Evapilot
Kudos to The Magic Box.

I've used it as a reliable source on my site for some three years now, and it continues to be updated with fresh news on a near-daily basis.

You'd think, though, for an IGN supported site, they'd put them up on their own server, instead of living off of Geocities.

I don't think Magicbox is part of of IGN anymore, I noticed the IGN logo has disappeared for a while.

Isn't this forum running on its own server at MB.VGDIRECTORY.COM, I doubt it's part of Geocities.

Black Ace
04-18-2002, 03:16 PM
I've also been reading The Magic Box for a long time as well, Magic Box is one sweet ass site. :D

Pexi
04-18-2002, 05:12 PM
I?m very delighted MB finally has a Message Board where we can post our thoughts on games!
I?m a very loyal MB-reader.

chuch
04-18-2002, 05:19 PM
The MagicBox is definetly one of the best videogame news sites I have visited. It has become my number one source of news since thegia closed (but I'm looking foward to what gameforms will offer).

Its kind of like the FOX News Channel of videogames news. Fair and unbalanced... lol.

Keep up the wonderful work!

-chuch

Pdaimaoh
04-18-2002, 06:48 PM
this is THE best gaming news site for english readers, and how it's not chunky slow from all the hits it DESERVES, I have no idea...

I push this site EVERYWHERE! when someone wants game news, THIS is where I point them

fanboys and such get really tunnelvisioned and like those IGN setups where each console/system gets it's own dedicated pages

that's screwy
annoying as all hell, too

THIS place is good, all the news is still concentrated per system, but it's all right there on one page!!

so nice!

plus, I don't notice a whole lot of bias here, either, if any! no apparent jabs at a particular console or particular favoritisms going on

yes sir, I like it!

Yai
04-18-2002, 07:56 PM
I discovered MB just 2 days ago and i must say it the best site I've come upon. Probably the Gia shutting down caused me to seek alternative methods to keep up-to-date on my gaming info. ::morn:: But I happy I could find this amazing site!

rpgfan.cpm and mmcafe.com are two site's I really like. RPGFan covers only RPGs of course and Mad Man's Cafe concentrates on the Japanese and fighting game side of gaming.

camelot
04-19-2002, 10:45 AM
magicbox is one of the best gaming website, and with this awesome looking forum now, it'll be even better... ign expecting us to pay $50 per year and join the crappy insider just to post on their forums is poo imho....

NiGHTS
04-19-2002, 01:50 PM
the best vidogames news site so far

ATMA
04-22-2002, 12:29 PM
MAGIC BOX is a sweet site i like it because it's easy to surf on and plus you get to see alot of games that won't make it overseas ;) ,and it's verry up to date with the news and plus i like the consoles charts so you can get an idea what's going on with the sales ,keep up the good works!!
ps: the message forum is verry clean no dissing no wars ect ect , that's also verry good !!:D

Nasanu
04-24-2002, 11:05 PM
I love this place but I am a little disapointed that this forum exists. I am coding one right now for my own use and was going to offer it to Magic Box to use since their old one was really shite. If I had just been a little faster... Oh well, this forum is good too.