PDA

View Full Version : Oh crap. Torrent law in Canada?

Decado
07-27-2007, 11:11 PM
I kinda forgot about the whole torrent law thing (seemed to have blown over). Anyway, I got a email from my service provider saying that they received a complaint about my ISP (downloaded a software program). Oops. So can you get in crap in Canada? I thought it was just the States where some organizations were cracking down (and then it was movies).

Thanks

Drunken Savior
07-27-2007, 11:30 PM
You think the MPAA cares? They'd sue animals if they could.

Zachalmighty
07-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Your ISP will probably rat you out, start watching your downloads, and then drop you from their service after your imprisoned in a French canadian prison with a guillotine.

Have fun, and watch for the mounties in the showers.

spider-prime
07-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Yes, you can still get in trouble in Canada for downloading certain things.

I know tons of people who have, but they have never gotten sued for it, most just lost their service to use the internet and aren't allowed to order a new account from that ISP.

So one day, they might introduce a blacklist which might stop you from getting a ISP to go onto the Internet :( I doubt it, but crazier things have happened.

But on another note, I found out a guy on AOL tried to hack my Ebay account and tried to sell things like a house, a car and a boat, cause I got his IP and crap when he tried to recover my Password :P, he forgot to change my email haha sucker! and when I contacted AOL about it, they said they can't do anything about it! I was like bullshit you can't, he commited fraud, you're supposed to phone the police at least on him! Ebay even sent them the info and they still did nothing. :(

SCREW YOU AOL! It was probably them that hacked me!

Sinful Sam
07-28-2007, 04:41 AM
There are Torrent laws in the US?

I know you can get in trouble to dl a new movie. But that's about it. Oh and music I suppose.

BlindMaphisto
07-28-2007, 09:10 AM
The problem with torrents is that they leave your IP address wide open when you're downloading.

Zachalmighty
07-28-2007, 11:00 AM
There are Torrent laws in the US?

I know you can get in trouble to dl a new movie. But that's about it. Oh and music I suppose.
No torrents were discussed by the Supreme Court and found to be totally legal. Making it so that we can dl them no problem. Its only the people who distribute the torrents who can get in legal trouble, if its licensed and such.

Escaflowne2001
07-28-2007, 11:59 AM
No torrents were discussed by the Supreme Court and found to be totally legal. Making it so that we can dl them no problem. Its only the people who distribute the torrents who can get in legal trouble, if its licensed and such.

But everyone that downloads from a torrent IS distributing them aswell. Though again I thought it was mainly new movies or music. What have you been downloading Decado?

MarionetteKazuk
07-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I think that depends what it is. There's a game called silkroad that they allow you to download their client via torrent instead of from some other server. If it's something that's copyrighted I don't think it's legal to distribute except if they're giving permission to do so

But everyone that downloads from a torrent IS distributing them aswell

Not really, it depends if the person is uploading it as well or not. If they're just downloading from seeders then they're not distr. But uploading while downloading, then yes.

Dr. Bombay
07-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Making torrents illegal would be the same as saying, "Hey, you know FTP? That should be banned because you can get illegal stuff over it".

It's a data transfer protocol. It's not the reason why there's so much illegal material on it

Decado
07-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Yes, you can still get in trouble in Canada for downloading certain things.

I know tons of people who have, but they have never gotten sued for it, most just lost their service to use the internet and aren't allowed to order a new account from that ISP.

So one day, they might introduce a blacklist which might stop you from getting a ISP to go onto the Internet :( I doubt it, but crazier things have happened.
So, I take it, they just changed their ISP. Still, that is bothersome.

What did they get caught dling? Was it just one warning and you're done, or did they get nabbed multiple times before getting blacklisted?

thanks

Zachalmighty
07-28-2007, 03:04 PM
But everyone that downloads from a torrent IS distributing them aswell. Though again I thought it was mainly new movies or music. What have you been downloading Decado?
I meant your not the original distributor who did the illegal act of copyright infringement.

spider-prime
07-28-2007, 03:30 PM
So, I take it, they just changed their ISP. Still, that is bothersome.

What did they get caught dling? Was it just one warning and you're done, or did they get nabbed multiple times before getting blacklisted?

thanks

They downloaded anything possible! Movies, illegal software, music, you know it, they downloaded it.

some had more then one warning, matters the ISP, some didn't and were just cut off completely and got a letter in the mail saying you broke our contract agreement kind of shit.

But every ISP is different, you're lucky if all that happens is your internet is gone, if the ISP wants to, they can give it to someone that can sue you, cause the ISP doesn't have the right to sue you for copyright infringement, they don't own the rights to it :P

But to download peerguardian2, it shows if someone is trying to track your torrent and blocks them. So the worst that will happen is like I said, you lose your internet.

but some things you have running might show IPs on PG2, while I was downloading I forgot I had steam running, and it kept bringing that up, I was like oh noes! but luckily the stuff I download nobody cares about hehe.

Decado
07-28-2007, 05:27 PM
A software program called SPSS (just something I wanted to dabble in so I could say I know how to use it in interviews). That is what I got the email about.

Thanks for the hint about that program, Spider.

da missinlink
07-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Spider I remember telling you about pg2 and you were like, "wow."

Zachalmighty
07-29-2007, 12:27 AM
So basically this program allows me to keep my activities private from an otherwise, oppresive country? Even though their type of monitoring was illegal-- TOTAlly illegal, before the patriot act?

Fuck the government. They spread fear to make us stimulate the economy, to pay taxes for their protection we dont need, and to get bad mouthed by the rest of the world because they want to be US. (Incidentally "us" is actually United states :lol: )

da missinlink
07-29-2007, 12:59 AM
It will block any ips that have been blacklisted. Unless I'm mistaken it can't actually block your isp. In general as long as you have it running and kep it updated it should increase your safety. Granted with all the new ips and sites created by the pirate hunters lately you have to be careful, especially when trying out new sites or torrents.

spider-prime
07-29-2007, 01:40 AM

Memoriesssssssssssssssssss