PDA

View Full Version : Rank the summer movies!

DBJAY
06-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Starting in May of course......

The summer has been a bit lackluster in terms of really good, fun summer movies. Here's my list so far.

1.) Die Hard 4. - unreal, it's hard to believe they could bring back a franchise this old, but man, did it deliver. A non-stop action flick that doesn't rely on CGI - so everything looks 100x better than say....

2.) Spider-man 3 - even though it could qualify pratically as an animated film - because this time it actually looked really like CG during the fights, it's still the 2nd best popcorn movie - only dragged down by some a bit of lackluster scripting.

3.) Fantastic Four 2 - only because it is what it is, doesn't try to be serious like X-men, and only number 3 because the field is so weak.

4.) Pirates 3 - too long, dull, deadly serious - kid's movie that starts with the hanging of a kid during a musical number! Downhill from there. Final battle an excersize in tedium (and that's after 1 hour of dialogue!), plot confusion, and repeating effects from #2.. Easily the biggest dissapointmet, because 2 was the best summer movie last year.

5.) Shrek 3 - dung. Instead of doing what Skrek made popular, becomes the exact same kind of Disney cartoon that the original skewered. Rugrats level humor, dumbed down to lowest common demo.

And that's the best! - Hostel 2 = huge dissapointment, felt like a retread of the 1st one. Too similar. Even Almighty - skipped it, but reviews were harsh.

So for your typical summer event movies, this year is really off. It it wasn't for Die Hard 4 - pre-July releases would be one of the worst on record for entertainment value. Early reviews on Transformers is really positive, as is the Pixar Rat movie, and Harry Potter looks to close the event pictures marathon in the middle of July. So there is a little hope left.

SoManyCHILDRENS
06-27-2007, 01:36 AM
If you liked Bruce Almighty, don't see Evan Almighty. I took a kid to see it today. It's a let down. :(

Joe Redifer
06-27-2007, 01:50 AM
You evil pirating bastard!

Diavle
06-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Pirates 3- effing awesome.

Spidey 3- A complete and utter turd, needless to say, I will not be going to the theatres to watch 4.

DBJAY
06-27-2007, 02:36 AM
You evil pirating bastard!

Uh, all those movies are out theatrically and I usually see all on opening weekend the day they come out depending on work, Die Hard's releases the 27th, I saw it a day earlier at an industry screening. Transformers is being screened around LA right now (employess of Paramount have seen it) but I can't get tickets to it at the LA Film Festival, so I waiting until the 3rd. I don't support piracy

NES4EVER
06-27-2007, 02:57 AM
I actually like Pirates3 better than Spidey3 myself. I havent seen DH4 or FF2 yet though but I'll be checking them out.

Alucard
06-27-2007, 03:35 AM
I had no clue die hard 4 was even out this year.

Joe Redifer
06-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Yeah, and McClane is now bald. What an ass!

spider-prime
06-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Fact, So far all summer movies sucked ass.

I'm still going to go see quite a few of them, like Transformers, but I'm not putting up my hopes or anything. but I rather like the movies than hate them. I'm going to go see 1408 later on this week.

Sinful Sam
06-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Good thing most of my friends don't care about going to the movies anymore. Otherwise I would have paid to see some of these.

Reko8
06-27-2007, 07:28 AM
I can't wait to see DH4, I love that franchise. Evan Almighty was really good, I don't know why some people dont get it. Bruce Almighty sucked ass but Evan was good.

You didn't mention "1408". That's an excellent movie, saw it a few days ago. other than DH4, I don't think there's any movies I want to see this summer. Knocked Up was really good too, that wasn't mentioned.

DBJAY
06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Ticket prices here in LA run 11.50 to 14 to see movies at night, so have been more selective in what I see at theaters. I was leery of 1408 because of it being a PG-13 horror movie, but maybe I'll check it out. I heard Knocked Up was kind of long for a comedy..2.5 hours? I think after Potter, I'll go back and catch a few things here and there.

Oh, another good thing about Die Hard 4 is that they show the trailer for Hitman. For a vid game adaptation, definately looks a cut above. The trailer implies a supernatural element (divinity at least). You don't see much, just Timothy Olymphant (slaughtered the spelling on that) bald with guns mostly, but it's well done. Comes out Oct. 12! I had no idea it was even this year.

And, Resident Evil Apocalypse looks interesting too in a car crash kind of way. Taking the series into a zombie Mad Max direction certainly is unexpected.

Yoshi Girl
06-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Seen so far:

Pirates 3: Reminded me of Titanic with pirates. Getting married during a sword fight? Come on.

28 Weeks Later: Brilliant! A must see for anyone who enjoyed the first.

Want to see: Oceans 13 (probably this weekend); Knocked Up

Coming soon want to see:
License to Wed
Harry Potter the 5th

Risky
06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
DH4 is PG13. This can't be good.

But even worse is that they shot for the R and when the PG-13 got slapped onto it, they had to creatively edit and ADR the flick. Itís so obvious. So painfully obvious. Every time Willis has more than one sentence of dialogue, the camera starts radically quick cutting, jumping around to random reaction shots and different angles. Obviously they were trying to hide the PG-13 dialogue not matching with the R-rated lip movements.

Nano Fox
06-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Well I'll go see DH4 soley cause the bridge scene/ freeway stuff was shot where i live so it should be fun watching.

Pirates 3 Gonna try to see that today or tomorrow.

Shrek 3 was rather boring.

Spidey 3, I did enjoy.

Silver looked to lame to watch.

Nem
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I enjoyed FF2 on how it portraited the silver surfer and galactus without making it too cheesy. The return of some characters and the almost non-existing team work on the team fails the comics. Overall it was enjoyable but not awesome.

Spidey 3 was a letdown. Has we all know they tryed to make a 3 in one movie and it backfired. A villain per movie i say, so we can actually have some character development. Same applyes to FF2 and all other comic inspired movies.

Havent watched the others yet :P

Alexander
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Bruce Almighty was really good. Haven't seen Evan.
Pirates sucks ass, worse even than Spider-Man.
Knocked Up is very funny.
Want to see DH.
I thought I saw something else...

Decado
06-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Starting in May of course......

The summer has been a bit lackluster in terms of really good, fun summer movies. Here's my list so far.

1.) Die Hard 4. - unreal, it's hard to believe they could bring back a franchise this old, but man, did it deliver. A non-stop action flick that doesn't rely on CGI - so everything looks 100x better than say....
Huh? I thought it doesn't open until the weekend. Anyway, I'll be happy if what you say is true. The 1st is one of my all time favorite action movies. I hope they release an "uncut" or "R" rated version on DVD. Really disappointed they stuck with the PG-13 mold for #4.

I haven't seen fantastic four or Shrek (I'll wait for DVD), but I liked Pirates more than Spidy 3. Pirates was too long, yes, but it was mostly entertaining. Spidy was too long as well, even though it was shorter than Pirates. They should have cut more from Spidy than Pirates, IMO (some seriously *horrible* scenes).

Hopefully the best is yet to come with Transformers, Harry Potter and Bourne Ultimatum.

Oh, rating the ones I've seen:

Pirates 3 - A little long, a bit lacking in humour, but I always like Depp.
28 Weeks Later - Shaky cam annoyance, but otherwise great.
Spiderman 3 - A select 1/2 hour shorter and this would have been a better film. Or more Venom.

Lin Kuei
06-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Fantastic Four 2 was shit, plain and simple. The only worthwhile parts are the ones with the Surfer.

Pirates was good, but a let down compared to the last. Outside of the action, I was actually more intrigued by the Davey Jones/Calypso dynamic than the whole Jack/Elizabeth/Will triangle.

murray
06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Only decent film at the cinema so far this summer has been 28 Weeks Later.

Nindalf
06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Only seen Pirates 3 and it was all kinds of awesome.

DBJAY
06-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Huh? I thought it doesn't open until the weekend. Anyway, I'll be happy if what you say is true. The 1st is one of my all time favorite action movies. I hope they release an "uncut" or "R" rated version on DVD. Really disappointed they stuck with the PG-13 mold for #4.

I haven't seen fantastic four or Shrek (I'll wait for DVD), but I liked Pirates more than Spidy 3. Pirates was too long, yes, but it was mostly entertaining. Spidy was too long as well, even though it was shorter than Pirates. They should have cut more from Spidy than Pirates, IMO (some seriously *horrible* scenes).

Hopefully the best is yet to come with Transformers, Harry Potter and Bourne Ultimatum.

Oh, rating the ones I've seen:

Pirates 3 - A little long, a bit lacking in humour, but I always like Depp.
28 Weeks Later - Shaky cam annoyance, but otherwise great.
Spiderman 3 - A select 1/2 hour shorter and this would have been a better film. Or more Venom.

I forgot about Bourne! I'll see that in the theater as well. Die Hard 4 being PG-13, it's about the hardest PG-13 I've ever seen. The only things that would have made it R are blood and more swearing, which the film really doesn't need. #1 is a classic and a better character piece, #4 is a straight out action flick with the best stunt work of the year. I'm glad they didn't feel the need to give Willis huge speeches to re-establish the character, they just assumed the audience was intelligent enough to remember 1-3 and not repeat familiar ground. But that's enough about that. Now it's on to Transfomers next week.

justin_credible
06-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I've only seen 3 movies so far this summer. (still haven't even seen Spider-man 3)

Knocked up- damn good movie, better than 40 year old virgin
Ocean's 13-sucked
Hostel II-sucked

want to see
Bourne Ultimatum
Die Hard
I now pronounce you chuck and larry
Rush Hour 3

Decado
06-27-2007, 05:12 PM
How did you get to see Die Hard 4 already?

Alexander
06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Oh yeah, Ocean's 13 is good too.

DBJAY
06-27-2007, 08:35 PM
How did you get to see Die Hard 4 already?

It comes out today, the 27th, in the theaters. I was able to get into an employee screening on the 26th. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone at Paramount or Warner Brothers so I'll being seeing Transformers and Potter on their opening weekeds. Also, if you befriend movie theater employess, they usually have the prints of the movies ready to go days before the official release date. Some chains show the movies to their employees as a perk, because it certainly is not a high paying job.

And, in some markets, you can do test screenings of movies that are almost completed. I saw Event Horizon months before it came out that way, and Resident Evil. The downside is that the effects are usually not finished, so I stopped attending test screenings.

Decado
06-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Interesting.

Anyway, I'll probably see it during the week or on a Sunday when the crowds die down if it is that good. I was going to pass until the DVD came out, but an old school big budget action flick is exactly what I need.

Dr. Bombay
06-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Die Hard 4: 8/10

Good. Excellent action, terrible story. Main villian sucks, cops suck, FBI suck, MacGuy sucks, McClaine's daughter = hot, things explode very well, Main henchwoman = awesome.

The whole movie can be summed up in 6 words: TRUCKS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!!!

Joe Redifer
06-27-2007, 11:24 PM
DBJAY may think he's awesome by seeing a movie early, but I saw Independence Day (ID4) 6 months before it opened... yes in a theater. OK I guess maybe I'm not awesome, either. Independence Day sucked ass.

flamingspiral
06-28-2007, 02:59 AM
There's nothing out this summer that looks appealing. Maybe Die Hard 4, but I'll probably wait until it hits shelves. Same goes for Pirates 3 and Spiderman 3. If i'm going to see anything in theaters this summer, it'll probably be Rush Hour 3, or The Bourne Ultimatum. But again, I'll probably just wait until their released on dvd.

DBJAY
06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
There's a really cheap way to see the movies in theater. The AMC chain on Fri-Sun runs movies (before noon) for 6 bucks. That's pretty much my ideal time to see movies. There are just some movies that really should be seen on the big screen, and renting DVD's is 4 bucks anyway, so a 2 buck difference to see it in the theater is nothing.

flamingspiral
06-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I did not know that. I'll have to check that out.

SoManyCHILDRENS
06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
There's a really cheap way to see the movies in theater. The AMC chain on Fri-Sun runs movies (before noon) for 6 bucks. That's pretty much my ideal time to see movies. There are just some movies that really should be seen on the big screen, and renting DVD's is 4 bucks anyway, so a 2 buck difference to see it in the theater is nothing.

In my area, mon-thurs any time of day is $6. Weekends are more.

Yoshi Girl
06-28-2007, 02:11 PM
The AMC by my parents is $4.50 (all the time, student price. $5.50 for adult)

Joe Redifer
06-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah, but the catch is that it's AMC.

Risky
06-29-2007, 11:39 AM
hey die hard was pretty awesome and so over the top you can't help but laugh at some of the action. it was great.

Joe Redifer
06-29-2007, 02:09 PM
I like over the top. I hear a car destroys a helicopter just like the game Road Avenger (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=218211#post218211) on the Sega CD. I like "over the top"! Did I already say that?

Risky
06-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Just came back from seeing 1408. It was pretty tame.

shinobi00
06-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Pirates 3:
Pure shit, boring, I don't get this whole pirates thing. I mean part 1 was watchable, but the other movies haven't delivered.

Oceans 13:
Entertaining, but not as good as the first.

Haven't seen anything else.

www.rottentomatoes.com is your friend

Mistatee
06-30-2007, 02:01 AM
I like over the top. I hear a car destroys a helicopter just like the game Road Avenger (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=218211#post218211) on the Sega CD. I like "over the top"! Did I already say that?

Which is why Die Hard 4 was perfect, except it didnt have the cheesy intro from Road Avenger, so -1 point

Vegetto
06-30-2007, 03:25 AM
DANG I went to die hard TWICE today, thats how much I love that movie

I havent had that much fun watchin a movie for years

Alucard
06-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Well I'm shocked. I really enjoyed Transformers. Couple things I would of liked changed but over all that as pretty good.

Drunken Savior
06-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Die Hard was awesome. I love that series.

zechin
06-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Well I'm shocked. I really enjoyed Transformers. Couple things I would of liked changed but over all that as pretty good.

Told ya so :slap: :lol:

Alucard
06-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Doesnt change that Bay is a retard! He originally wanted to redesign EVERY transformer and also have them not talking nor use the original voice actor for Optimus. Hasbro said FUCK YOU and made him do those. Without those the movie could of been alot crappier.

progmetal
06-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Die hard must be awesome since he pays a tribute to arnold with the shooting of an endoskeleton of terminator: lol

http://www.thearnoldfans.com/pictures/diehard4_1.jpg

zechin
06-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Doesnt change that Bay is a retard! He originally wanted to redesign EVERY transformer and also have them not talking nor use the original voice actor for Optimus. Hasbro said FUCK YOU and made him do those. Without those the movie could of been alot crappier.

Yeh i agree Bay's a retard, i still wish they kept prime's face plate and have frank welker do the voice of megatron. And the matrix of leadership was missing, how could they not include the matrix!

Frank Welker's version of megatron for the video game is very well done, i mean hugo weaving did a good job for voice acting him in the movie but the voice is way too cliche.

sample of Frank Welker's megatron voice: http://youtube.com/watch?v=K3C4uyVQtoE

Alucard
06-30-2007, 01:14 PM
You sure you got the right clip there?

Zachalmighty
06-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeh i agree Bay's a retard, i still wish they kept prime's face plate and have frank welker do the voice of megatron. And the matrix of leadership was missing, how could they not include the matrix!
Frank Welker's version of megatron for the video game is very well done, i mean hugo weaving did a good job for voice acting him in the movie but the voice is way too cliche.

sample of Frank Welker's megatron voice: http://youtube.com/watch?v=K3C4uyVQtoE
We are in the matrix.

Decado
06-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I thought it didn't open until next weekend...?

spider-prime
06-30-2007, 04:02 PM
They get it earlier to avoid piracy in other countries. Kind of... doesn't work.

Joe Redifer
06-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Frank Welker voices a Taiwanese beer commercial? Zechin, are you high?

zechin
06-30-2007, 11:27 PM
sometimes when im feeling lonely, alittle marijuana can do me some good times :crying:

on a serious note here's the right link hopefully: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-4tNz_3dGBA

Joe Redifer
07-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Ha ha Peter Cullen looks nothing like I expected him to. He's a little happy man who sounds nothing like Optimus. He has talent, so I guess that's why he's a voiceover artist.

Also, that Youtube video is so damn quiet.

Joker
07-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Die hard 4 -- just plain awesome: I can't believe Willis is still kicking the ass at 52.
Can't wait to see Bourne Ultimatum :)

Decado
07-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Is it really as campy as the reviews are saying?

spider-prime
07-01-2007, 02:30 AM
It must be if these guys like it.

Drunken Savior
07-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Is it really as campy as the reviews are saying?

I didn't think it was campy. But I think it's reviews are a little high because there are no good action movies anymore.

Dr. Bombay
07-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Just got back from Transformers.

Awesome, but dear lord, dear lord, DEAR LORD, the script sucks. Some of the things that come out of the autobots mouths is totally horrid. And all the human actors suck too. But I guess that makes it like the show, the humans are the worst part. And there were like 3 10 minute scenes that could have been removed entirely and made the movie more awesome. Stop focusing on all these bit character who aren't important at all!

Oh, and anthony anderson needs to stop being in movies. It's official, he sucks. He's not allowed to act anymore.

And I hate Micheal Bay's brand of "Oh you're seeing out of the eyes of someone in the battle so it's shakey and you can't see what's happening that well" That sucks. He needs to stop doing that.

The ending was pretty satisfying though, and allows for room for a sequel. I'd see it again, though I'd get popcorn or something during a certain couple scenes that were too long and supposed to be funny, but weren't.

SoManyCHILDRENS
07-02-2007, 11:24 PM
I saw Ocean's 13. It was as good as 11 and, of course, better than 12. SEE IT

Joe Redifer
07-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh, shit! Transformers has "shaky-cam"? I fucking hate that shit. It's so... amateur. Those Borne movies also love the hell out of the shaky-cam. Surely Zod will be here soon with a Michael J. Fox joke.

spider-prime
07-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Nah, he won't be back, he said he wouldn't, so he took a hissy fit and cried like a little girl.

Let's see if he comes back after that hehe

Drunken Savior
07-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Looks like Zod called my bluff! Losing feels good.

Vegetto
07-04-2007, 03:57 AM
WOOO transformers sure rocked, enjoyed it lots

Die Hard was still better though!

spider-prime
07-04-2007, 04:15 AM
I thought it was boring and those shaky cam parts gave me a headache!

zechin
07-04-2007, 09:24 AM
I think you took the wrong pills for the wrong day. Rave is thatta way =====================================>

spider-prime
07-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I took some nexium, are they the wrong ones?

Reko8
07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
WOOO transformers sure rocked, enjoyed it lots

Die Hard was still better though!

I'm wary of going to see transformers, but I wanted to see Live Free or Die Hard for a while now and I saw it 2 days ago and I couldn't believe how damn good it was. It exceeded my expectancy by a lot.

Vegetto
07-09-2007, 06:40 PM
same here

but go to transformers, u wont be dissapointed

SoManyCHILDRENS
07-11-2007, 05:41 PM
I just saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Although the book was not one of my favorites, I thought the movie was very good. Of course, they couldn't fit the book into just over two hours, but they did a very good job staying true to the story. I didn't notices any horrible inaccuracies (as in the 4th movie), and some of the humor was pretty good. If you like the book, I recommend seeing the movie.

(Also, I thought Bellatrix Lestrange's character was PERFECT)

SavedFromSin
07-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree Childrens. The movie was really good, but, honestly, I thought the book was 100x better. So far, imo, while the Harry Potter movies have been excellent, they are poor when compared to the source material. Actually, there was a really big departure from the book that i noticed that actually irritated me:
Cho does not tell Umbridge about DA in the book, her friend does. However, in the movie, Cho Chang is the one that tells her. That part really irritated me because they are ignoring a big part of Harry's struggle which is highly outlined in the book that centers around Cedric Diggory's death. Wish they wouldn't have done that.
As far as characters, Helena Bonham Carter was the perfect Bellatrix and the chick who played Luna did a great job as well. One thing about these movies is the casting is spectacular. However, I must admit I like the guy who used to play Dumbledore. Too bad he died :(

EDIT: And lets not forget about them not including the two way mirror given to Harry by Sirius like in the book. According to Rowling that plays a big roll in the last book. It can only go down hill from there as far as the movies are concerned if it does play a big role in the end

SoManyCHILDRENS
07-12-2007, 02:21 AM
I know what you mean, there are so many things that make the books great that just aren't portrayed in the movies (probably due to time restrictions). I noticed that even though they decided to make their own Cho story, they never resolved it. They just said that Snape provided Veritaserum, but they needed to show that it was over with Harry and Cho so that certain events can take palce in the next installment. I'll always prefer the books over the movies, but they're doing a pretty decent job.

Vegetto
07-12-2007, 03:05 AM
I saw it at midnight, I hate the crowds at midnight showings

retards

movie wasnt bad, but I never really liked the movies, books are too awesome to be made into movies