PDA

View Full Version : PS3 is doing as well as X360.

Joker
06-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Numbers don't lie and neither do graphs. The PS3 sales only look bad when compared to the Wii.
http://i11.tinypic.com/6gu2p07.png

AmishNazi
06-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.....

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/nvms/image_ot/trap.gif

Fracking trolls.

Drunken Savior
06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Does vgchartz track sold or shipped PS3s?

memory to zack
06-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I find it logical because early last year the xbox360 was in the same situation as the ps3 is right now.

Reality
06-14-2007, 12:30 PM
This is where M$'s one year head start though takes effect. PS3 could sell hand to hand with the 360 and it wont change the fact the 360 has a year's worth of sales, games, and gamers.

Decado
06-14-2007, 12:50 PM
This is where M$'s one year head start though takes effect. PS3 could sell hand to hand with the 360 and it wont change the fact the 360 has a year's worth of sales, games, and gamers.
Yup. Sony needs to get their ass in gear *fast* before it is too late. Sadly, it seems like all the decision makes at Sony come from the Sloth family :zzz:

memory to zack
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
The xbox360 had no games and the ps2 was beating it (and still beats both consoles in many place). That didn t bother people from buying microsoft s console. Same will happen with the ps3. More and more developers start supporting the ps3, sony is doing a heck of a work by producing many first quality titles. Wait until the end of the fiscal year and you ll see how healthy the ps3 will be and how worthwile it will be to have one. Combine that with a possible announce of a price drop as well as full completion of the psn and the ps3 would be at a very nice position.

DBJAY
06-14-2007, 01:15 PM
They should be more concerned about making sure the software sales keep pace with the 360's. Publisher's really don't care about who's winning the console war, they care about their return on investment. Didn't Namco say that had to sell 1/2 million of RR7 in order to make any money? At 20 million a pop for the more expensive games, Sony needs to convince consumers to drop coin on their versions in order to swing more games their way.

Hardware wise, it's a false comparison though. The 360 was supply constrained for months after launch (except Japan), the PS3 is not anywhere it has been released. In general, it's fairly impossibe to do these kind of comparisons because the number of units avail. for purchase is different. Wii for example, is still hard to find in some markets. So would the Wii be outselling the PS3 20 to 1 if the shortages were over worldwide? Would MS have sold even more if they had 5 million units ready for launch? Too many "what ifs" to draw a conclusion.

BlindMaphisto
06-14-2007, 01:25 PM
The fact that the Wii is selling the hottest just because it's gimmicky and cheaper kinda bugs me. The games just arn't there. The only game I own for the Wii besides Wii play and sports is Zelda and Zelda is the only one I consider a full game.

I just hope that now that the companies can't ignore the Wii some good games will come out next year.

Also I wonder what caused that little spike for the ps3 where it wasn't doing as well as the 360 to where it was doing a little bit better and then leveled off.

Joker
06-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Also I wonder what caused that little spike for the ps3 where it wasn't doing as well as the 360 to where it was doing a little bit better and then leveled off.
My guess it's the PS3 release in Europe. You can see the spike is just over 0.5 mil. and the PS3 sold 600k in just two days in Europe. The time scale is in weeks.

BlindMaphisto
06-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Makes sense. Nice observation.

Dr. Bombay
06-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Numbers don't lie and neither do graphs. The PS3 sales only look bad when compared to the Wii.
http://i11.tinypic.com/6gu2p07.png

It's true, but for different reasons.

The x360 has sold far better in north america than the PS3. However, the PS3 has sold far better in japan than the x360.

phknrocket1k
06-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I actually think X360 will start tracking ahead now, especially if the PS3 slope stays relatively constant for the most part. The PS3's lead from Week 20 to Week 30 was attributable to the Euro launch and the X360 has just started tracking ahead by 40,000 units.

I predict that it should be firmly ahead by Week 40.

However, the PS3 has sold far better in japan than the x360.

The Japanese industry is really a non-issue. PS3 outsells the X360 anywhere from 25,000 to 36,000 a month, while the X360 outsells the PS3 in the Americas by a healthy 75,000-100,000 a month.

GrantXP
06-14-2007, 08:55 PM
This is interesting! but really hard to evaluate. At the end of the day the PS3 started a year behind. It was meant to roar out of the blocks and outsell the 360 with the 360's lead keeping it afloat! Instead it is losing ground to the 360! Even thugh it is tracking the same as the 360! That is a comparative disaster! Sony probably wanted at least a 2:1! I think MS will be happy with that. Wii is simply awesome! What I don't get is where are they. I only know 1 person with one. The games are not good. I am not seeing the appeal, can Wii Sports really capture the imagination that much?

Kiuju2k
06-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow dbjay somehow i just never really understand your post. I just know they're important so i read them.

Keits
06-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Numbers don't lie and neither do graphs.

Uh oh! Looks like someone never took a statistics class!

DBJAY
06-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks, I try.

BGM
06-16-2007, 02:34 PM
These numbers aren't good for the hardware king of the last 2 gens! Nobody would have been excited about these numbers last gen if they were comparing PS2 to Xbox. They missed the target this gen in my opinion, at least it appears that way so far.

folken001
06-16-2007, 05:21 PM
But Sony is doing decent overall. PS2 is still beating 360 in sale and PSP sold 220k. I mean yes, they are experiencing difficulty with PS3. But, it's nothing that cant be fixed, imo. Things will pick up and when they do, who is to say who's in real trouble?

thesoftware6180
06-16-2007, 07:34 PM
But Sony is doing decent overall. PS2 is still beating 360 in sale and PSP sold 220k. I mean yes, they are experiencing difficulty with PS3. But, it's nothing that cant be fixed, imo. Things will pick up and when they do, who is to say who's in real trouble?

Boy that sounds a lot like nintendo with the GC. people use to say "Nintendo is doing bad in the console space but its ok, b/c they dominate the handheld market" I always thought it was a sad excuse... and looked what happened to the GC!

Funny thing now is that nintendo dominates the handheld and console markets ...thats just nutz, talk about ownage.

IoriYagami n8
06-16-2007, 08:17 PM
A bit misleading. The PS3 may have a similar launch performance when compared to the 360's launch. But that isn't terribly relavent at this point. The thing to see now is how many systems the PS3 sells compared to the current amount of 360's being sold. As far as I know (and I'm not 100% up to date) the 360 continues to outsell the PS3 in every territory expect for Japan. If that's the case, the PS3 is already losing ground. Something that isn't terribly promising when you stop to think that consoles typically push their biggest sells weeks around launch and the holiday season. It's especailly alarming since you can't blame it on the supply end of things. Only a month or so after launch, PS3 systems were pretty easy to find.

folken001
06-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Well, not completely the same. Was N64 beating PSX/PS2 and GC in sale back in the old days?
I don't really see how console and handheld are comparable because i see them as two different market. It's true that PS3 isn't doing as well as it should but it is also true that PS2 is doing extremely well. It's possible Sony is trying to ride PS2's success out before it delicates everything to PS3 with things like price cut and all. It would give them time so the cost would go down a bit before they take loss from the upcoming price drop.

Nem
06-17-2007, 12:26 AM
If thats the case, where are the upcoming sony games to the PS2? All their development efforts seem to be focusing on the PS3 already.
But i do believe that what your saying might be the case with the PS2 taking the fall for the PS3 on sales. But still wouldnt that be a reason to drop the price on the PS3 and be more agressive? Really makes one feel like they are just plain lacking vision...

Drunken Savior
06-17-2007, 01:12 AM
If thats the case, where are the upcoming sony games to the PS2? All their development efforts seem to be focusing on the PS3 already.
But i do believe that what your saying might be the case with the PS2 taking the fall for the PS3 on sales. But still wouldnt that be a reason to drop the price on the PS3 and be more agressive? Really makes one feel like they are just plain lacking vision...

Yeah, Sony's riding out the success on the PS2, but their competition is already settled into next generation. Meanwhile, the PS3, Sony's future, is on shaky ground. Sony can ride out PS2's success for as long as they want, but they are basically just looking at short term solutions with the PS2 now.

Keits
06-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, not completely the same. Was N64 beating PSX/PS2 and GC in sale back in the old days?

N64 = profitable from day one.
DS = profitable from day one.
Gamecube = profitable from day one.
Wii = profitable from day one.

Ps2 = Sold at a loss initally
PSP = Sold at a loss initially (and might still be)
Ps3 = Sold at a MASSIVE loss initially, and with a price drop, will be even worse on Sony's pocketbook.

Certainly you see a trend here. When nintendo is trailing in 3rd place, they can still pull in millions in profits every quarter. When Sony is not number 1, they have a VERY improbable time recouping their hardware losses with accessories and games.

SONY truely AM DOOMED.

phknrocket1k
06-27-2007, 09:24 PM
X360 is tracking around 110,000 ahead of the PS3 now.

We've reached the point of no return.

Slash
07-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Game over man, Game over.

progmetal
07-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Game over, insert coin.