PDA

View Full Version : how can i open up my ps2?

typexig
12-06-2002, 04:00 AM
xup err one..how can i open up my ps2?..i wanna see wassup with it...cuz i cant even play my games anymore!!!!...it keep saying "disc read error!!!"..it does it every time!!...i rarely play ma ps2 now, cuz everytime i put in a game is say "disc read error"....i keep on reseting it hoping that it'll read it the next time, but no! always disc read error!!..so any of you guys can help me here? please...do i need to buy a new ps2 or what?..grrrrrr... i hate this..haha...thanks again guys..=)

-Xig-

Alucard
12-06-2002, 05:18 AM
And there it is.. What happens to your ps2 after a certain amount of time if you got it early on in the launch.. Opening might not be the way. Its usually one of two things. Either your lens is dirty and you need to use a DVD lens cleaner <You can buy those dvds at the store>, or your laser is out of alignment, what I think is also wrong with mine.

Give your system a clean with the DVD or just bring it in to a sony repair place. And they'll charge you to fix their bodgy system.

Baka Neko
12-06-2002, 09:07 AM
I agree with Alucard. Don't open your PS2. Yuo will ruin your warranty. And belive me if you are not an expert on these stuff, you may even end up unable to close it again...

Lens clean it, if it doesn't work, take it to a service, it will be cheaper to replace a part even if its warranty ended.

But if you open it service would sureley charge you more with no appearent reasons, they do it all the time if they find a weakness in your part ;)

typexig
12-06-2002, 05:44 PM
oh ok thanks guys..=)

-Xig-

typexig
12-06-2002, 05:45 PM
but where can i find these sony repair place?

-Xig-

flamingspiral
12-06-2002, 06:51 PM
Wow, isn't that strange. The same problem with my PS2 just happened to me yesterday. I keep on getting a message saying disc read error whenever I put in Kingdom Hearts. God Sony, you suck.

Does anyone know how long a warranty lasts?

8 bit Orgy
12-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by typexig
xup err one..how can i open up my ps2?..i wanna see wassup with it...cuz i cant even play my games anymore!!!!...it keep saying "disc read error!!!"..it does it every time!!...i rarely play ma ps2 now, cuz everytime i put in a game is say "disc read error"....i keep on reseting it hoping that it'll read it the next time, but no! always disc read error!!..so any of you guys can help me here? please...do i need to buy a new ps2 or what?..grrrrrr... i hate this..haha...thanks again guys..=)

-Xig-

To open up your PS2 you simply take a hammer and hit the outer plastic until it fractures. Ahahahah!

Seska
12-06-2002, 08:24 PM
Usually about a year on most Sony products.

Baka Neko
12-06-2002, 08:24 PM
For info on where to find Sony Technical Services and how long your warranty lasts please check the manual and warranty documents that came with your ps2.

I hope you didn't dumped them. If thats the case check Sony's web page for your country.

Good luck.:wink:

Neo Otacon
12-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Wow - people like you come into my store everyday. Something Sony fails to tell everyone about is the system's 1-2 year lifespan.
The lifespan of your system CAN be loweed by using it as a DVD player (forcing a low-grade DVD-Rom to constantly access a disc for 2 hours, compared to a 15-second load per 15-minute play segment)

I found the article with Shinji Mikami of Resident Evil fame.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/RCInews/october162002a.html

Neo Otacon's Reccommendation:

Buy a Gamecube or XBox - cut your losses and forget about your PS2 games

Alucard
12-07-2002, 02:24 AM
Yeah thats right. Where are all you biased people who complain that a PS2 only wrecks because of the way you treat it. Wait till your system chucks a fit and you'll be sulking and asking for help too. Seen it happen a few times.

8 bit Orgy
12-07-2002, 03:48 AM
I have never, ever seen anybody that had their Playstation (1 or 2) not break on them after a year. It's seriously like the worst built console ever. I mean, I shouldn't be hearing reports of a 2-year old console failing on everybody.

Neo Otacon
12-07-2002, 04:42 AM
Yeah - the American NES may be bad, but at least you can get the games to work with a little effort. The feeling of futility when your PS2 goes out on you can be deep since you cant really blow on a CD and wiggle it in and out of the system a couple of times to get any positive effect.

Baka Neko
12-07-2002, 06:36 AM
A drive replacement costs as much as a game. An considering you played enough hours to wreck your drive you have no right to complain. Go get your drive replaced already!!!

I am getting bored from all ppl whinnig on Playstations getting wrecked and Gq's an X-Box's lasting longer.

Your Gq will last more because it still doesn't have that much games YET that you can play long enought to wear out your drive.

Your X-Box WILL last more because it has a hard drive AND it doesn't have games that will keep you playing that long and it wont be anyway.

If you use a device enough to wear it out you should not whine while paying maintainance.

gabriel
12-07-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
Where are all you biased people who complain that a PS2 only wrecks because of the way you treat it.

Hah! Thanks, Baka Neko.

Sinful Sam
12-07-2002, 04:14 PM
The PS2 seems like it can break easily to me. I?m always careful with but with my GC feel it can take a beating and still play games right.

Maybe that's the reason the PS2 sells a lot. Everybody needs a new one every year.:P

rgmxp
12-10-2002, 03:52 PM
I beg to differ, I agree with Alucard. It all comes down to how you treat your console. I still have a lot of video game console that works, like PC-E, NES, classic gameboy with all kinds of different chip. My Playstation broke down recently only because I had it modchip a dozen times, and it was like model 1000. It gave me a good 5 year run.

Alucard
12-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Well usually it comes down to how you treat it. But I think the PS2 has its own logic. I treat mine like it cost me two grand. And it still decided to die on me. Only console ever in my life to suffer problems. Everything else has been spiffy. My old C64 still works damnit! Only console to really die was my Atari, which I threw out last year in sadness.

rgmxp
12-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Well usually it comes down to how you treat it. But I think the PS2 has its own logic. I treat mine like it cost me two grand. And it still decided to die on me. Only console ever in my life to suffer problems. Everything else has been spiffy. My old C64 still works damnit! Only console to really die was my Atari, which I threw out last year in sadness.

Did I word that incorrectly, I mean I agree with you Alucard. I treat my consoles good too. One time I accidentally dropped a tv on my Playstation, and I was surprised to find that it still works afterward.

Neo Otacon
12-13-2002, 01:39 AM
...with a HAMMER!

Seriously - quit supporting Sony, kids!

typexig
12-13-2002, 02:43 AM
ok, i'll quit supporting sony...but what shall i support then?

-Xig-

Alucard
12-13-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by rgmxp

Did I word that incorrectly, I mean I agree with you Alucard. I treat my consoles good too. One time I accidentally dropped a tv on my Playstation, and I was surprised to find that it still works afterward.

Dude...give em your psx. You are the one with the godpsx. I MUST HAVE IT!

rgmxp
12-13-2002, 08:56 AM
I stopped using my psx long time ago...nowadays I just play my psx games on emulators on my PC, swear I could get the game show up better than on my tv.

Lionheart
12-15-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 8 bit Orgy
I have never, ever seen anybody that had their Playstation (1 or 2) not break on them after a year. It's seriously like the worst built console ever. I mean, I shouldn't be hearing reports of a 2-year old console failing on everybody.

I've had my PS for 3 years now, and it works perfectly. Trust me, I play it A LOT. I also have a friend who's a much more hardcore gamer than me, he bought his PS in 1997, and it still works perfectly. I've never cleaned my PS's lens, but after 3 long years, it's still working fine.

I had my PS2 for about 5 months now, it's working fine. Even if it breaks, I have a 2-year new-for-broken warranty. So anytime my PS2 fails before August 2004, I'll just take it back to the store and get a brand new one.

And recently, I've heard a lot of malfunctioning GameCubes. I guess Nintendo products are only durable in the cartridge format. I mean, when it comes to DVDs, it's pretty dangerous since there are mechanical parts moving when playing games.

Alucard
12-15-2002, 01:22 PM
I've seen nor read nothing about this so called lots of Gamecubes having problems. Some games have had problems, not the systems. And give your ps2 another 8months before it dies And I'll give you $100 if you can somehow manage to get a brand new one out of Sony, who will pull any excuse not to give nor repair your system for free as they've done many times to alot of people.

zer0c123
12-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Seska
Usually about a year on most Sony products.

I don't know what you people do to your Ps2, Psone or any other sony products. Do you drop it of a roof, let your little brother or sister bang on it with their toys??

My PS bought back in 1996 still works prefectly. Boots all games with no problems at all. Hasn;t had the over heating issue or skipping FMV. And thats through many years of playing backups, tekken 3 and king of fighter tournaments.

My ps2 bought back at the end of 2001 still works perfectly.

Should take better care of your electronics

Alucard
12-18-2002, 11:46 PM
Zer0, its nothing to do with how you treat your system. My psx is perfect still but my PS2 is a pile of trash with a few little niggly problems. I treat my stuff like gold. Ps2 is the only system to have a problem. And the boards are always full of them so please do not palm it off as a user problem. The system is not made well. Simple as that. Yours will most likely have problems too later. Some dont, though alot do.

Lionheart
12-19-2002, 11:34 PM
And give your ps2 another 8months before it dies And I'll give you $100 if you can somehow manage to get a brand new one out of Sony, who will pull any excuse not to give nor repair your system for free as they've done many times to alot of people.

The 2-year warranty contract is done with EB, not Sony. I'll just have take the system back to EB so they''ll give me a new one. I wouldn't put my money there, man.

zer0c123
12-20-2002, 02:24 AM
I can only agree with you on first generation products made by sony. FOr example the first PSone made in 1995 and first released Version 1 Ps2. BOth had huge problems within a year. Overheating, disc read error etc.