PDA

View Full Version : Industry Pressure on China

Black Ace
12-05-2002, 08:14 PM
A delegation representing several game console manufacturers and software developers are currently visiting China in an effort to open a dialog with government officials regarding the problem of videogame copyright infringement. Members of the delegation including Matsushita chairman Yoichi Morishita and Capcom director Kenzo Tsujimoto appealed with representatives to pass legislation to protect intellectual property rights. Moreover, members of the delegation toured several cities including Beijing, Shanghai, Guanzhou, and Hangzhou to expose the problem of rampant software piracy. China's deputy chief of the national copyright office said the country was taking the delegation's suggestions seriously, and plans to explore measures to improve enforcement of existing copyright protection laws.

http://xengamers.com/sections/news/9338/

Discuss!

8 bit Orgy
12-05-2002, 08:17 PM
China shoots you to death if you post organizational-religious material on the internet.

No, it really does.

They can burn as far as I care.

Robo Halloween
12-05-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 8 bit Orgy
China shoots you to death if you post organizational-religious material on the internet.

I can now only wish their army of 200 million strong took over the world.:D

Neo Otacon
12-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Software piracy originating from Hong Kong is not a new problem. China, being a country without copyright laws, creates an environment where you can freely buy a copy of a major Hollywood movie on VCD format for like a buck. I feel it's okay what they do in their country, but when they sell goods in an international market without telling the consumer that they're buying pirated stuff, they're crossing the line.

Hong Kong has made it virtually impossibe to feel ensured that a game or anime soundtrack you plan on buying is legitimate or not, and it has caused me much grief. I've been cheated while buying GBA games on the internet TWICE. Hopefully, new legislation shall be passed in China making it a capital offense to pirate software.

8 bit Orgy
12-06-2002, 01:16 AM
Wow, I never thought of it that way. Now I see what this big deal is all about.

Fatghost28
12-06-2002, 01:25 PM
Beijing laughs at the entire videogame industry. This won't affect anything.

Seska
12-06-2002, 08:52 PM
When surfing on ebay you will find a bunch of Anime/movie Dvds. How do you know they are HK Bootlegs?

1. They are very, VERY cheap.

2. They mostly have Chinese/English subtitles. The word CHINESE in particular should alert you to the fact its a HK Bootleg. :p

Back in the day I bought a bunch of these because they were not available in Europe, such as Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi. While people may be tempted to buy HK Anime dvds, I'd advise against it unless the anime features an English audio track, or if you are fluent in Japanese, because the "english" subtitles will make your eyes bleed.

Imagine subtitles, 3 lines in length, that flash for literally half a second while some other menial word may remain on screen for 2 mins during a silent scene. Also characters names spelt 5 different ways in the same episode, mis-timed subs - gah, these HK DVDs are the worst in subtitling. Some were moderately ok, especially the later ones I got, but I eventually jsut watched the stuff without subs since the bad "engrish" was more distracting than helpful.

Baka Neko
12-06-2002, 09:07 PM
I bought HK anime dvds as well and I must say that they are not worth half the price I paid for them.

They have english subtitles made by people with little to no idea about anything "english"

I warn anyone even considering it DON'T DO IT!
Even piracy has to have some standarts. HK dvds are laughable.

I am still unable to dump those dvds that I bought from HK sources and belive me,

my friends doesn't want them even I say here take it, it's a present, it's free, really, I don't want anything in return, please take it damnit...

Don't watch that series, if HK is your only alternative. You won't understand whats its about even if you watch it HK.

:too mad: