View Full Version : Addicted to SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters
05-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Well I haven't posted for the last week with good reason - I've been playing this game on my DS instead.
Now I found it confusing at first, and the controls with the stylus took some getting used to, but as an avowed fan of fighting games, this is a nice treat... Aside from fighting with cards (who thought of this first - let's animate playing cards physically attacking each other, it'll be cool), gameplay does remind me of strategy RPGs...
Graphics are pretty bland in-game, but the card art is great, and having all these obscure characters in the game is like a gift for long time gamers...
PS: I also picked up Sonic Rush (used) and it's fantastic... I take back everything bad I ever said about Sonic Team... Or at least the crew that made this game.
05-03-2007, 03:06 AM
card fighters clash was my favorite game on the neogeo pocket, and i sometimes still play it for old times sake .. wicked game
05-03-2007, 04:38 AM
This is what I'm playing right now. I gotta get back all the rare cards I had on the NGPC.
05-03-2007, 05:16 AM
I'm a huge fan of the neogeo version and was surprised how much depth the new sequel has. Where the first one was made for 10 year olds to play ok, this one you sort of need a brain. I would of definately changed the control scheme slightly as its a bit annoying, and maybe made some of the fonts/pics a bit larger on the bottom screen. Just seems like everythings too small and theres too much free space around them.
hmm...supposedly theres a bug in the american version. If you complete the game and then replay and speak to a certain npc, it crashes the game. This will screw up trying to collect more powerful cards. Japanese version doesnt have this bug, and hopefully the PAL release in june wont have it either.
05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Actually, there isnt much depth in the new one at all (unles they changed it from the japanese version). There is little to no reason to use anything but low BP cards, as you can win in the first 5 turns EVERY time as long as you get to go first.
05-03-2007, 02:21 PM
The bug occurs on the ninth floor of the tower during the second play through. The game crashes after talking to an opponent named Jon. Fighting him is necessary to complete the game, so you're pretty much stuck at that point. That is one giant suck.
Apparently you need to finish a second play through to get the 'true ending' and to collect the rare A and S cards... It's Jon's second dialogue (after he's beaten once) that crashes the game, and he's a boss character, so you need to talk with him to advance beyond level nine.
Not sure what to do... This is pretty sad, and I'm really hoping they do a recall and replace my cart, but for now I'm having enough fun that I'll just play through the game the one time. If I really want to get all the cards I could pick up the Japan or EU release, I suppose. Honestly the storyline is pointless, the music is better on mute, and the AI is pretty poor, but gameplay is good and I love collecting these characters...
05-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm on the fence about this game. I was really lookging forward to it, as I really enjoyed the game on the NGPC, but then SNK decided to not include Wi-fi, which you think would have been a given with a game like this and now I'm not so sure. Is the single player good enough to justify $30?
05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
There is local Wi-Fi to trade cards, just not over the Internet... Honestly the bug is starting to really bother me, as it's kind of like knowing that you can never complete the game 100% (and get the second ending)... I'm really hoping for a recall.
Otherwise, if you liked the first game and you're not using your DS for anything else, it's worth playing. It's fun to play, I ask no less.
05-03-2007, 11:29 PM
I'd recommend taking it back and switching for another game and then later importing the PAL version if its fixed, assuming there aint a recall which is a weak chance.
05-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Too late to return the game, and well, I'm too busy playing it to bother :) I'll just put all my effort into the first play through, not save after I finish, and not bother with the new game+. Sure I won't get all the cards, but I think that would take me an insane amount of time anyway... I'll be on a new game by then.
05-07-2007, 12:14 PM
I'll pick up the game after they fix the bug in the American version...
Or I'll pick up the PAL version.
05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Apparently there is a way around the Glitch if you buy the Action Replay Max, which allows you to move and edit your saved games (specifically the Max). If anyone can verify this works it would be great. Thanks!
As posted on the Gamefaqs message boards by altus maleficus:
1. download the rom (not very hard to find it seems)
2. transfer your cart save out with ARmax.
3. convert your save into another .sav format here (http://www.shunyweb.info/index.php)
4. put the newly converted file into your BATTERY folder of no$gba
5. edit your no$gba.ini file and change this line:
SAV/SNA File Format == Compressed into this > SAV/SNA File Format == Uncompressed
6. save and close
7. load up the no$gba setting your NDS cartridge backup media to > FRAM32KBytes
8. select continue, and you'll be playing where you left off in your CART save.
9. go beat john, then save again using the emu setting your NDS cartridge backup media this time to FLASH 512KBytes (do remember to save this is crucial)
10. close the emulator and check your BATTERY folder. the file should now be at 520kb
11. download this no$gba to vba converter here (http://www.angelfire.com/games6/battery/)
12. click on configure, and set the directory to your no$gba BATTERY folder.
13. enter whatever name you want in the text box below and click convert. you will end up with a vba save file now.
14. (now this 1 i suppose could work with any different software but i used this coz it was easy to find) download the archive converter here (http://www.r4ds.net/download.htm)
15. you would convert said vba file into a R4 .sav file.
16. go back to (http://www.shunyweb.info/index.php) and convert the R4 save into ARmax format again, and plonk it back into your cart.
17. load up your cart, you should be where you left off after your save using the emu, e.g. after battling john.
Read the whole thread (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=930038&topic=35108353&page=2) for more details...
05-11-2007, 12:21 AM
They're going to do a recall, apparently :)
From Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/playmore-eventually/card-fighters-ds-gets-fixed-259402.php)
05-11-2007, 02:24 AM
USeless lot. I guess I'll just wait for the PAL release in june.
05-11-2007, 02:57 AM
Whoa. Good thing I waited.
05-11-2007, 03:59 PM
At least there's a recall. I can't wait to get my hands on the game :)
vBulletin® v3.7.4, Copyright ©2000-2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.