PDA

View Full Version : Xenogears

Dracula
04-06-2007, 04:04 AM
After having had the game for a few weeks, I finally started playing it yesterday. Impressions after about 3 hours of gaming:

- Navigating and exploring in the first town (Lahan) was quite painful, as the camera was way too close to Fei, and it was almost impossible to know where you had been and had not been. (I hope this isnt the case in every town.)

Navigating on the mountain and woods was surprisinly not that difficult. Also the layout of the second town (Dazil) suited the camera system much better.

- The battle system is quite fun. Any turn based battle system that doesnt rely on the ancient formula of characters automatically executing commands after having chosen it, gets a plus in my book.

- The story seems interesting so far. And its told in a non-confusing manner.

- The random battles does not occur too often, which is good.

PS please dont post any spoilers without warning, thanks.

Btw, was the second analog stick used in the original game? (Im playing it on PSP).

darren
04-06-2007, 04:29 AM
Xenogears was the best RPG on the PS1

Dracula
04-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Is there any way I can increase the message speed in the game? Its painfully slow.

Btw, forgot to add, the BGM in the game is awesome.

pinoy929
04-06-2007, 09:36 AM
You're going to be upset once you get on disc 2.

Azubah
04-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Fun things to do.
Take a shot whenever you finish a wall of text before it goes to the next paragraph.

Punch a kitten whenever someone talks about god, or Ramsus complains.

Also, bring another two books when you get to disc 2, you'll probably go through both of them.

Thunder Force 6
04-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Breath of Fire 4 was the best RPG on the PS1

xenogears 2.0
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Xenogears rulez!! best game ever, and the soundtrack is amazing!! it's my all time favorite! :clap:

Diavle
04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Xenogears is the best RPG of all time

Fixed.

Zachalmighty
04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Breath of Fire 4 was the best PS1 RPG.
Really fixed now. It really was and Im dissapointed with the PS2 Breath of Fire. Too bad the seres had to die out.
:kefka:

Nem
04-06-2007, 02:54 PM
You're going to be upset once you get on disc 2.

Disregard this comment and enjoy the game to its fullest Dracula. The second CD is awesome but its awesomeness cant be seen by all.

Do remember not to judge the game graphics and graphic mechanics by today's standards though. Its quite an old game now.

Fixed.

Agreed. Breath of Fire 4 was enjoyable but isnt even on my top5 best RPG's possibly not even top10.

darren
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
@Thunder Force 6

don't change what i wrote with that fixed crap, and then not even be arsed to write fixed .. if you think something is better say so .. do not change what i wrote dude .. .. lame

@Diavle .. cheers for changing it back .... lol.

jojjy_ugnick
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
do change what i wrote with that fixed crap

FIXED!

darren
04-06-2007, 04:03 PM
lol .... ass

Dr. Bombay
04-06-2007, 06:04 PM
The second disc is so terrible.

SO TERRIBLE!!!

Alexander
04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
this game was boring for me.

Nano Fox
04-06-2007, 07:44 PM
I couldnt stand xeno 1, lmao that being said i think i'd be hanging myself on 3.

Nem
04-07-2007, 05:52 AM
Ummm u do know were talking about Xenogears and not Xenosaga Ep1...

XzenoGear
04-07-2007, 08:05 AM
without doubt the best RPG on PSX, i loved it so much that i renamed myself after it, well almost..

Sears
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
It's a good game but,

Crono Cross > Xeno

xenogears 2.0
04-09-2007, 04:10 PM
chrono cross my ass!! Xenogears is DA GAME!! :slap:

Alexander
04-09-2007, 04:19 PM
It doesn't matter which one is better; they're still just nonsensical JRPGs.

pinoy929
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Disregard this comment and enjoy the game to its fullest Dracula. The second CD is awesome but its awesomeness cant be seen by all.

The reason I said that he wouldn't like the second disc is due to Drac's comment about the text being too slow. With that in mind, he'll be dealing with a LOT of that in the second disc.

Nem
04-09-2007, 05:50 PM
If that stops him from enjoying the storyline game then he fails as a gamer.
When i was playing the game i was enjoying the storyline so much i didnt even think about something as minor as that.

Alexander if everything made clear sense since the start there would be no such things as plot twists since they would be painfully obvious.

Zachalmighty
04-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Awe man Alexander. That was a cheap shot at my favorite genre of games.

Alexander
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
At least it's better than Atelier Iris and Ar Tornelico.

Mistatee
04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Xenogears is not confusing, unless fail to really pay attention. Therefore, it truly requires a lot of focus to play, such that you aren't distracted during the talking sequences.

Also, the Second Disc is amazing. Not nearly as impactful as the first, but still leagues above the average game. And the fact that it skipped a lot of dungeon crawling is always good. Needless dungeon crawling at the end of a game, especially one thats over 80 hours long, is never welcome in my book.

All in all, Xenogears is the best thing Square has ever made. And much like the other experimental games they had on the ps1, it was tossed aside...

Dracula
04-16-2007, 05:55 AM
I'm about ten hours in now (yeah I'm advancing pretty slowly), and all I can say is that its freakin brilliant! So far it has been more story than gameplay, but the story is so good that I don't mind that at all.

About the slow message speed; its not ruining the experience for me, but it is annoying. They should have included an option to increase the speed. Older games than Xenogears had it, so why not Xenogears?

Btw, can I use Omegasol (which replenishes both health and EP fully) any time I want to? Because if I can, then I dont really see the need for the other health and EP replenishing items.

Nem
04-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Im sure that item in question is rarer or/and more expensive than the others. Been a long time so i cannot really confirm.

Thunder Force 6
04-17-2007, 12:02 AM
@Thunder Force 6

don't change what i wrote with that fixed crap, and then not even be arsed to write fixed .. if you think something is better say so .. do not change what i wrote dude .. .. lame

@Diavle .. cheers for changing it back .... lol.

hahaha.

Northeastmonk
04-17-2007, 12:05 AM
This game was great back in the 90s.

Dracula
04-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Im sure that item in question is rarer or/and more expensive than the others. Been a long time so i cannot really confirm.

Actually it only costs 50 xenogears currency (which is as much as the cheapest/weakest health replenishing item), and I seem to be able to buy it just about every item shop. Strange.

Btw, I'm at Nisan. The music is great, I think they've used one of the songs in Golden Sun on GBA. I also noticed that they used one of the Secret of Mana songs in FF XII, in lower town of Rabanastre.

Investor27
04-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Xenogears is not confusing, unless fail to really pay attention. Therefore, it truly requires a lot of focus to play, such that you aren't distracted during the talking sequences.

Also, the Second Disc is amazing. Not nearly as impactful as the first, but still leagues above the average game. And the fact that it skipped a lot of dungeon crawling is always good. Needless dungeon crawling at the end of a game, especially one thats over 80 hours long, is never welcome in my book.

All in all, Xenogears is the best thing Square has ever made. And much like the other experimental games they had on the ps1, it was tossed aside...

I second that. Xenogears is the best game Squaresoft had ever made. I love that game. If you are playing it on the PS2, don't forget to select fast and smooth at the PS2 options. I have always hoped that Square Enix will make an update version with better graphic and extras on the PSP or the PS2, and I'm still holding out for one.

Nem
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
This game was great back in the 90s.

Yes cause now that were in the 00's theres so many RPG's that are so much better than this one! Oh wait... no there arent.