PDA

View Full Version : The Big 3: Which has The Most Potential

Overlord
05-03-2002, 07:23 PM
The three most anticipated movies for this year is Spider-Man, Star Wars: Episode II and Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers. Which one do think will live up to there expectations?

...My vote goes to the The Two Towers. I don't think that movie will dissapoint.

There are other good movies coming out this year. But these ones has the most hype. I think there is also a new Harry Potter movie coming this year. That might rake in some good sales also.

k0ach
05-04-2002, 12:38 PM
i think two towers too. but maybe you should of done summer movies instead cuz, to me, winter and summer are two different seasons for films.

other films i'm waiting for this summer, "minority report" and shaylaman's (sp?) "signs".

k0ach
05-04-2002, 12:39 PM
i would like to add that spider-man is a great movie too :)

Black Ace
05-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Lord of the Rings. The first movie was captivated!

ATMA
05-04-2002, 01:47 PM
I'll go with spiderman !!
Lord of the rings well the first one was out everybody saw it it was great!!!
SW well same story as Lord of the rings
But spiderman This is the first ever spiderman movie,and I think alot of people are more curious to watch spiderman than those 2 other movies
simply because it's totaly new and the curiousity
will (and all ready has) created a big hype for this movie !!!So i think spiderman has more hype than the other 2 !!!!

-YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBOURHOOD ATMA- ;)

Overlord
05-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Spider-Man does have a lot of hype. So at the end of the year, Spider-Man should be somewhere around second or third in the overall revenues.

...But we can't forget about those hardcore Star Wars fans, which will watch Episode 2 at any cost. And we all know how much Star Wars makes, everytime a new movie comes out.

So, in my opinion, either one of those movies can be great(est), but Star Wars will make the most money.

ATMA
05-05-2002, 11:38 AM
That's for sure SW will make more money like always !!That's for sure ..But i think still SPIDEY have and had more hype ..(i don't have a proof or anything)!!I think there's people who's more interesting in Spidey than SW ..I mean SW been around for a looong time ..and we kinda know the special affects (not that it's bad or anything)
But spidey is a first and people are curious how they made it thus the hype for Spidey !!!..
(This is totaly my opinion so i could be wrong )

Overlord
05-05-2002, 03:38 PM
i think still SPIDEY have and had more hype ..(i don't have a proof or anything)!!

Well, Spider-Man already broke the opening day sale record. And is on pace for over a $100 million for the weekend. So thats enough prove to say it has a lot of hype. Ckeck out my Other Thread (http://mb.vgdirectory.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227/) for the links and stuff.

k0ach
05-05-2002, 05:32 PM
i don't keep track of box office stuff much, but didn't LoTR:FoTR make more money than SW:EP1?

if you want to talk this year, than no chance Two Towers will make more money than spider-man or EP2 as it opens too late in the year.

and about spider-man's record, all i can say is damn. i didn't expect it to make over $100 million in it FIRST weekend! EP2 won't break this record as it opens in the middle of the week again and plus most everyone's gonna want to go see it but can't cuz it'll be sold out (like with EP1) and what will they go see instead? spider-man, the movie with all the hype and the records. i see spider-man doing monster business this summer.

going back on topic, i change my vote to star wars. since the question was which movie will live up to my expectations, because of EP1, i have very low expectations for EP2. who know, lucas may surprise me and exceed my expectations with the new star wars film :)

Overlord
05-05-2002, 05:43 PM
If I remember correctly, Stars Wars Episode 1 started on a Wednesday. So that?s a bad day to start out, if you want to break sales like Spider-Man did. And I think Episode 2 is starting on a Thursday.

...And remember Titanic. That movie did average in the beginning, but later snowballed in sales later. If the hype dies down after the first week. Spider-Man will have an opposite effect. I?ll probably go see the movie next week.

I think Lord of the Rings will do great this year. With all the great movies coming this year and the next. This is a great time to be young.

k0ach
05-05-2002, 05:54 PM
i don't see spider-man hype dying down anytime soon. it got generally good reviews and i think it's a type of film that can be generally liked by all. you get the comic book geeks going ga-ga for it and the pre-teen girls gushing over tobey and the psuedo-love story. i really liked this film and while i don't think it's oscar calibre and just a summer blockbuster action flick, it's a GREAT summer action flick!

Overlord
05-05-2002, 05:58 PM
i really liked this film and while i don't think it's oscar calibre and just a summer blockbuster action flick, it's a GREAT summer action flick!

So out of 10 how would you rate this movie. And do you think it will break Titanics overall sales. And how would it do at award shows.

k0ach
05-05-2002, 06:09 PM
out of a 10, i'd give it a 7.5. it would have gotten higher (i really like the origin story and all the stuff at the begining) but the whole green goblin stuff brought the grade down.

as for awards, fat chance of it getting even nominated needless to say winning anything.

and no, i don't think it'll beat titanic overall record. if Ep1 couldn't beat it, if LotR couldn't beat it, spider-man isn't going to either.

Overlord
05-05-2002, 06:16 PM
and no, i don't think it'll beat titanic overall record. if Ep1 couldn't beat it, if LotR couldn't beat it, spider-man isn't going to either.

But do you think it will beat those two movies out. You said yourselve that you don't see the hype dying down anytime fast. And it's already at $114 million mark.

Lynx
05-05-2002, 06:20 PM
I have no doubt that all of those movies will be great, but with the way Spider Man has started, I think it'll do the best. Spidey also seems to have a broader rang of ages it appeals to compared to the other two.

k0ach
05-05-2002, 06:24 PM
i honestly don't know how it'll end up doing. i definitely didn't think spider-man would do this good so far. all three of those (star wars, spider-man and lord of the rings) have millions of loyal rabid fans so, who knows?

i'll say that probably, SW and two towers would do better than spider-man but does it really matter? i mean, they're all gonna do huge business for thier respective studios.

ATMA
05-06-2002, 03:03 AM
TRUE what LYNX said about broader range of ages and plus i think alot of SW fans are also Spidey's fans!! Spidey was also around before SW !!
But i think Spidey will break the Titanic records
becuase Titanic was more adult like movie (not xxx rated ..I just couldn't find the right words you perverts :p )But with Spidey I mean ,come on it's MARVEL Comics and i'm sure everybody in the states
heard of SPIDEY ..unless they are a bacteria!!
So i think SPIDEY has what it takes ..
Back to the question i've noticed that for no reason i started to talk about HYPE and not potential (mah bad :o )If it's potential I think it's Lord of the rings !!!!

k0ach
05-06-2002, 01:18 PM
ATMA, i think you overestimate the popularity of comics in the U.S. just because all these people went to go see the movie , doesn't mean that they like the comics . they just wanted to go see a fun movie.

now sure, spiderman could break titanic records- i highly doubt it though. it did make over $1 billion!! that's gonna be tough for any movie to top without inflation

ATMA
05-07-2002, 01:17 PM
Well maybe you're right !!i'm not sure but i think comics is pretty populiar in the states right ??.
I mean there's alot of comics out there ..and i've worked in a comics store here in holland and marvel ..dc, image comics and alot of other comics were always selling well ..!!And seeing by the fact that spiderman been around from the 60's
I'm sure it has alot of fans !! And you also have the people non related to the Spidey franchise
who just want to see the movie ,i think these movie might break the record ..time will tell !!

Overlord
05-07-2002, 05:49 PM
If SW fans are Spidey fans, than Spidey fans are also SW fans. It just goes both ways. The one that will make more money, is the one who has more hardcore fans, and will only see one of the movies. Usually that would SW. Last year, people even bought tickets to movies just to watch the 2mn trailers and left. This year is just differant. Too many great movies I guess.

...I don't think comics themselves are really that popular any more. But the characters are "Legenday" 'till this day.

And I thought itanic only made $600,700,000? According to your(k0ach) link anyways.

k0ach
05-08-2002, 11:40 PM
overlord, those records are for domestic (U.S.) box office revenues. the international total for titanic is over a billion.

ATMA, there are a lot of comics out. but it's not that popular here. there aren't that many comic book stores around anymore as there used to be and remember, marvel went bankrupt a few years ago.

hootie17
05-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Da RIngZ

ATMA
05-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Marvel went bankrupt?? for real ??.
or was that online thing they wanted to do ??.
I mean i still collect Marvel comics !!
(ULTIMATE SPIDEY and ULTIMATE X-MEN)
And that origin series the one of Wolverine is one of the best titles ever and plus the ultimate Spidey and x-men are also among those best seller!!
I can't remember Marvel went bankrupt !!
WOW so comics isn't populair anymore ..
And i thought the states was one of the biggest markets for comics so if the states isn't than it's the jappa land ..here in europe we have fans that collect all 3 comics styles (american ,japanese ,european)..
and around here comics is still populair ..it's kinda weird to think that comics isn't doing verry well in the states ..well let's hope things get better after the Spidey and all of those other super heroes movies !!!

k0ach
05-10-2002, 07:35 PM
yeah marvel went bankrupt a few years ago and cancelled a lot of their series and restructured their business strategy. i think they're back on their feet now and doing well, i'm sure the spidey movie is helping a lot.

i, for one, used to like comics when i was younger and now i feel i out grew them. for example, a friend of mine from school recomended ulimtate spiderman so i checked it out on their web site (you can read them for free!) and checked out the first 6 issues or so. and i have to say, while it's not bad, i just don't like the way stories unfold in comics. it's really not the medium's fault, but the mainstream superhero comics out there just don't inspire me anymore, they seem lame. now i'm sure there are some really good thought provoking indy comics out there, but i don't have the time nor the will to go out and look for them. i'm happy with films, my first love and soon to be career.

ATMA
05-11-2002, 12:49 PM
I also kinda grew out of the mainstream i think it's to commercial ..to many advertisement in the comics and you have a feeling you just bought a book about $2.50 only for like 6 or 8 pages of drawings,some of these books i'll read it in just about 2 to 3 minutes and than have to wait an entire month for the next number!!That's why i always stayed with manga
That AKIRA TPB book is one of the best manga i ever read totaly different from the movie
in the book the story is wider and covers alot more people !!!It's sooooo great ..and the details
RESPECT TO OTOMO-SAN !!!
Well anyway it's still kinda hard to believe
that comics isn't doing well in the states..
but maybe i'm comparing it with europe i mean here in europe we import alot of amercian comics and also manga and europe have their own comics ..
so here you got people that kinda collects all 3 type of comics !!!Well i really hope things get better in the states !!!!

ps:anybody knows what happend to joe madureira??artist and creator of BATTLE CHASERS??