PDA

View Full Version : Time to use my Saturn

cosmoblues
03-14-2007, 10:34 PM
After watching that top 10 beat-em ups vid posted by ATMA, I have a great urge to play Guardian Heroes. There are a ton of other great looking Saturn games I would like to get my hands on, too. Thing is, I have a JP Saturn I bought a few years ago. Why JP? I cannot recall. Anyone got the best advice for playing US games on a JP system?

Also, is there a top Saturn games thread put together here? I'd be almost shocked if sharky didn't slap one together at some point.

Joe Redifer
03-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Read any Saturn reviews I may have in my review thread. You can add a region switch to your Saturn which is really the best way to go. I'd recommend avoiding those cheaply manufactured carts that claim to do a bunch of different things including letting you play games from a different region. If you like cheap things, then go ahead. But switches are cheaper. If you are decent with a soldering iron, you can find out how to do it probably from the gamesx.com website.

Alucard
03-14-2007, 11:53 PM
I'd recommend getting your saturn modded to play backups. Alot of the really good games go for way too much then they should, and you must remember this overinflated pricing is not going to the sefa or the developers but to some greedy bastards. Mod your system, it'll be the greatest thing you ever did.

Mistatee
03-15-2007, 12:07 AM
If you dont mod your system, then good luck finding a copy of Guardian Heroes.

Soba
03-15-2007, 12:41 AM
I'd recommend avoiding those cheaply manufactured carts that claim to do a bunch of different things including letting you play games from a different region.

Why? Burpingcat and I just got one, and it works fine. We modded our Saturn, too.

Joe Redifer
03-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Why the hell would you need that if you modded your Saturn? Nobody would ever mod their Saturn for CDR use and NOT put in a region switch.

fruitsofherwomb
03-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Someone PM me a link to a good mode chip, cuz i have extra money RIGHT NOW

Northeastmonk
03-15-2007, 01:18 AM
i can't mod. I felt guilty modding a Dreamcast. I paid a guy (now in jail cause of it) $50 to do it. he was fined $40,000 to Sony and 7 months in Jail for having his shop mod consoles.

Alucard
03-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Whos going to sue you for your saturn? Its not on the market. Sega arent making money off it.

Joe Redifer
03-15-2007, 01:59 AM
The guy in jail should have gotten a better lawyer. A person who owns a PS2 can do whatever they want with it, as it is no longer Sony's own property. It belongs to the owner. Modding itself isn't illegal. But pirating games is. That's like arresting the guy who sold the gun instead of the guy who pulled the trigger to shoot a baby in the face.

Sinful Sam
03-15-2007, 02:10 AM
He shot a baby in the face! ... :(

Icarus4578
03-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Shameless self-promotion: Hey cosmoblues~! You can check out my Saturn reviews!!! Use the index to find the review you want ~ http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2726
I've done about 23 reviews for Saturn alone.

There have been several threads about Sega Saturn. You can find some of them with the Search function by typing in "Saturn" or "Sega Saturn" into the search toolbar.

Paper exe
03-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Well my Saturn is Japanese and I have like 40 games for it. Most games I can find are Japanese, so I guess I am lucky to end up with a japanese one, thank God for that.

Soba
03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Why the hell would you need that if you modded your Saturn? Nobody would ever mod their Saturn for CDR use and NOT put in a region switch.

The Saturn's internal memory is quite lacking. We needed the extra space.

burpingcat
03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
AND it works as a RAM expansion.

The region-free feature of the cart is actually the least important one. Since we're using ISOz anyway, I can just patch them to be the proper region.

For anybody that doesn't know: Saturn treats its region protection and copy protection as two different things. You can install a mod chip and it still won't boot a burn from another region. So you either need to install a region switch (more work) or find some other way to get around the region protection.

Joe Redifer
03-15-2007, 04:20 PM
True, the internal memory is indeed lacking. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one since I hear the Sega memory carts are tough to find. However I think the Sega cart is the only one which will allow you to save and load directly from the cart whereas on the 3rd party stuff you must transfer your saves back and forth to the internal memory to use them.

Soba
03-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah, that's right. It isn't a big deal, though.

cosmoblues
03-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I'd recommend getting your saturn modded to play backups. Alot of the really good games go for way too much then they should, and you must remember this overinflated pricing is not going to the sefa or the developers but to some greedy bastards. Mod your system, it'll be the greatest thing you ever did.

The practical part of me agrees with you 99.99999%. However, the irrational, collector, needs-to-burn-a-hole-in-his-wallet side of me agrees with you only -.0000369%. This is why I shouldn't have control over my money.

Thanks for the tips all. I'll try to do the soldering job, Joe; shouldn't be too hard. Then again last time I try to solder:

http://i17.tinypic.com/2z4n39e.jpg

30 seconds later

http://i17.tinypic.com/47wk00w.jpg

Nindalf
03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
lol saturn

Soba
03-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Don't worry, cosmoblues, the soldering job for the mod chip is relatively simple. Even I could do it, and if I, being a woman, can do it, that means that anyone can, including infants and the elderly.

ATMA
03-16-2007, 03:26 PM
I've ordered from this site http://hh141.hiphip.com/default.asp (go to Saturn hardware and you will see the Action Replay 4M Plus) for my Japanese Saturn while I didn't own all Saturn games the US version of certain games that I had worked on it withouth any problems.

Joe Redifer
03-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Soldering the region switch so you can play JP games is even easier, I'd say. Don't be tempted by any of the "switchless mods" you may find on the net.

Northeastmonk
03-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Panzer Dragoon Saga is like $50 for the Japanese collectors edition*. English version will run around $200 if you like your copy in decent condition. What's better, modding your console or buying a JP Saturn? PlayAsia was sold out of the JP Saturns last time I checked their site.