PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live off to a great start!

DBJAY
11-22-2002, 11:07 AM
150,000 kits sold!

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT - News) today announced that the Xbox Live(TM) service, the first comprehensive, online game arena fully dedicated to fast-action broadband gaming experiences, has sold 150,000 Xbox Live Starter Kits.

Pretty good start.

Link to full press release.

http://ga.gamesquad.net/showthread.php?threadid=4267

IoriYagami n8
11-22-2002, 01:00 PM
But in ratio to how many current X-box systems I wonder. Live is pretty nice (assuming your have broadband) and since I don't have it offered where I live, not much I can do. But I did hang out with a friend last night and played Mechassult and Unreal on Live. People on Mechassult talked, it was pretty fun despite how slow the game feeled to me. Unreal however, only one person would talk on my team, everyone else just ran around shooting. It was pretty shitty. I played for about an hour on Unreal and only talked to one person. All those people bragging about the head set, and I don't hardly see anyone using it. That pissed me off. I was a little drunk at the time, so surely someone would have said something or just told me to shut up.

DBJAY
11-22-2002, 01:17 PM
As a percent of total installed Xbox base, honestly I'm not sure. If they are around 4 million by this point, then that's 3.8%. I haven't seen recent hardware numbers in the US that are cumulative from 2001/2002 so that is a pure guess.

If you think about it as a game sale, then moving 150,000 in one week is pretty good.

Even Sony's projections of their adapter are only around 400,000 for the holiday season. Given their 10-12 mil. or more owners, that's slightly over 3%.

Nindalf
11-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Thats not bad start...over 3% is good, but i dont think its gets even close to 5million this holiday,probably not even 2

And IoriYagami n8(that was hart to spell:P ) I hate it too when people dont talk in Online games, I used to play Unreal Tournament and Delta Force and it was freaking annoying that they just ran,shoot and get killed. Thats why i like Online RPGs more(ahhh....Ultima.....:big smile )

IoriYagami n8
11-22-2002, 03:47 PM
I understand a bit more with PC games and such, I never talked much playing Quake 3 or Unreal myself. I said "nice shot" from time to time. But the fact that so many people were bragging on with that hands free headset I would expect them to freaking use it. God knows you would do a lot better cordinating attacks with your team instead of just running around shooting the other team.

gabriel
11-23-2002, 11:35 AM
150 000 subscribers is very good, that's the same amount as there are FFXI players, and that game's been out for half a year. Like someone said, even Sony who has a much larger base is projecting a "mere" 400 000 units sold of their network adapter. Considering how well put together Live is, I think Microsoft deserve the sales.

Oh, and the headset is great. Me and my friend were screwing around with the voice disguiser in Whacked, I thought it was more fun than the game itself (in fact, I 'll go as far as to say the game sucks) :) I think it'll take a while for people to get used to the awkwardness of actually talking to strangers (as opposed to typing), but given some time everyone will be chatting it up :)

Mr Mort
11-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Well, I've been playing a whole lot of Unreal Championship, and believe me, I've yet to have a game where no one was talking. Lots and lots of trash talking and friendly chatter in every game. It usually takes me a couple games to warm up and start talking, and I think most people are the same way. The longer a bunch of people are playing together, the more they open up and start talking it seems...