PDA

View Full Version : Xbox in Singapore!

DBJAY
11-19-2002, 08:56 PM
http://www.xengamers.com/sections/news/9223/

"Despite sluggish sales in Japan, prospects for Microsoft's Xbox in another Asian territory are reportedly quite promising. Microsoft is gearing up for the release of its game console in Singapore later this week. According to hardware distributors in the region, Microsoft's console will retail for 388 Singapore Dollars ($220 USD), roughly $10 USD cheaper than Sony's PlayStation 2. Microsoft hopes to appeal to Singapore players by offering more English software titles. According to Justin Tan, director of Singapore videogame retailer iCon, Sony's Japanese-only localization policy of PlayStation 2 games in Singapore has alienated many players. Mr. Tan points to the lack of English language software titles on the PlayStation 2 in Singapore as the driving force behind the proliferation of modchips (allowing players to illegally run American PlayStation 2 games). "

more on link.

Olm52
11-19-2002, 09:14 PM
M$ is going to have a fit when they found out that se-asians generally only buy pirated games.

Twelve
11-20-2002, 02:56 AM
LOL! The Xbox is about to get hacked up over there! Releasing the Xbox in Mexico was one thing...but Singapore? Well, we'll see!

Olm52
11-20-2002, 04:31 AM
You'd ahve to wonder though why M$ is bothering in singapore? they wont make any money because of the pirates. maybe theyre just doing it to attempt to stop the gamecube taking off there.

DBJAY
11-20-2002, 11:45 AM
It didn't stop Sony from releasing the PS2.

And, I think it is wrong to stereotype an entire nation of people as software pirates. I'm not saying it is not there, but not to label every individual as one is not right.

Is the GC scheduled to ship in that territory anytime soon?

Also, I think that most people from Mexico would be offended by anyone laughing at thier country.

Typcial though really, most US vid game kids think Europe is Britain, Asia is only Japan, and there are no countries worth launching products in south of Texas.

Olm52
11-20-2002, 11:50 AM
there arent really any worth launching in south of texas. Asia is mostly PC oriented with the exception of the japanese. and all the countries below the equator except for OZ are poor. We only have 18 million people here as well...

Kid0_oIcarus
11-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Well Nintendo does have palns to expand the GC too- but it won't be happening anytime soon. I believe March 03 or somewhere around there is the time they expect to launch there.. could be wrong about the time though...

Oh and the GC still hasn't been pirated from what I understand...

IoriYagami n8
11-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Olm52
there arent really any worth launching in south of texas. Asia is mostly PC oriented with the exception of the japanese. and all the countries below the equator except for OZ are poor. We only have 18 million people here as well...

This is primarily due to language barriers. Koreans have access to console games but don't generally play them due to Japanese and English being the only languages they can play something in. PC games on the other hand are rather large in Korea, especailly with games like Starcraft and Warcraft (which have Korean language versions.) There are a lot of different lanuages in Asia, and it can make localization for each rather costly, especailly if consoles haven't really caught on. It all comes to if a system can sell enough to turn profit. If not, don't expect them to do much else in that area. Microsoft is simply trying to expand profits and cut into areas that aren't marketed heavy by Sony or Nintendo. If they can do well in a few other places, it will help them to sustain the X-box and create a name for it. And if it doesn't pay off, it isn't like Microsoft will hurt much from the lose, and they will learn not to put so much into it for X-box 2. X-box is pushing Microsoft into the industry, so you can expect a lot of bumps and mistakes along the way, but to think MS won't learn from those with the X-box 2 and make proper adjustments is just silly.Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Well Nintendo does have palns to expand the GC too- but it won't be happening anytime soon. I believe March 03 or somewhere around there is the time they expect to launch there.. could be wrong about the time though...

Oh and the GC still hasn't been pirated from what I understand... If I recall correctly the GameCube has been cracked. The problem is in media size. I think the GameCube disc drive is only designed to read in the area of the Mini-DVD disc. So it makes pirating less convienent. Even if you use a CD to burn a game that is only 400 megs of info the laser will only read so far on the disc, so you won't be able to play the game correctly. I do think that it is possible on the Panasonic Q, but I'm not certain. As simple as Mini-DVDs are, they seem to be rather effective in protection.

Black Ace
11-20-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8

If I recall correctly the GameCube has been cracked. The problem is in media size. I think the GameCube disc drive is only designed to read in the area of the Mini-DVD disc. So it makes pirating less convienent. Even if you use a CD to burn a game that is only 400 megs of info the laser will only read so far on the disc, so you won't be able to play the game correctly. I do think that it is possible on the Panasonic Q, but I'm not certain. As simple as Mini-DVDs are, they seem to be rather effective in protection.

The rumor of Panasonic Q has been cracked was never true. GameCube itself was never successfully cracked either. The disc GameCube uses are made to run only for the system, and the laser reads the data the opposite direction a regular DVD does.

Kid0_oIcarus
11-20-2002, 05:35 PM
Not only that, the GC won't even read CDs...

DBJAY
11-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Nintendo has a history of using hardware to counter piracy, instead of software like Sony and MS. Their approach seems to be working for the most part.

Olm52
11-20-2002, 09:34 PM
The GCN launches in Korea this month. The Koreans arent really that anti-japanese. Its more of a very vocal minority. If you look at youth culture in Korea most of it is dominated by Japan.

Twelve
11-21-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by DBJAY

And, I think it is wrong to stereotype an entire nation of people as software pirates. I'm not saying it is not there, but not to label every individual as one is not right.

Also, I think that most people from Mexico would be offended by anyone laughing at thier country.

DBJAY, chill yourself, ok? Nobody is laughing at Mexico, and nobody is calling an entire nation software pirates. The only person who brought up such ideas is YOU, so maybe you should check your own thoughts.
ARGH! I can't stand people who are way oversensitive!
As Iori said, the Xbox is trying to launch in what we might see are UNUSUAL places for a purpose, yet I still find it funny. Allow me to laugh. Ha. ha. ha.

DBJAY
11-21-2002, 12:06 PM
And I quote from Olm's thread:

"there arent really any worth launching in south of texas"

Tell me again I'm imagining that comment Nicole. I need the daily laugh.

Olm52
11-22-2002, 01:32 AM
yeah well wow. where the hell are they going to launch? peru? maybe theyll sell 100 xbox's there. Im saying theres no real market below the equator for Games. Im not being racist.

Twelve
11-22-2002, 02:50 AM
Don't play yourself DBJAY.
It IS a funny idea that the Xbox, while losing what THEY CLAIM is 117 million(which means it is more) is launching in places that are either known for rampant piracy or with extremely poor economies. It will NOT help their problems.
Now that is funny.....TO ME.
It might not be funny.....TO YOU.
But to imply that we are being racist in anyway is you going over the edge, you losing control of your thoughts, and perhaps you thinking those thoughts yourself. So like I said, check yourself.

Kid0_oIcarus
11-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Everybody just calm down alright? I don't want this forum spinning out of control and ending up like GameFAQs or IGN Boards, or just about every other forum out there...

So please- just take a deep breath and realize all your responding too is just letters on a screen and often just people's opinions. Just be cool, man- be cool.

Having said that- What are you trying to say, Olm52!? I was born in Peru- check yo'self 'foo!

Anyway, in situations like that- it's not so much the lack of interest, as it is the economic factors. Think how much a console ther would cost.. roughly the same as one here would... but what's not the same is the amount of money people have to spend on such things... (Am I not the greatest at finding round-about ways of making my points? :D)

Twelve
11-23-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
(Am I not the greatest at finding round-about ways of making my points? :D)

Yeah...shoot, I don't even know what you said. But your post did make me laugh, so it was worth the read.

Healin
11-23-2002, 11:32 AM
Well I'm from the dot and generally the xbox doesn't look promising for the time being. Gamers have generally complained that its ridiculas that it is launched 1 year later than USA and with only 6 launch titles? Xboxes on the dot can't play US imported games and ppl are saying it'll be ages before they launch games for asia (reme, it took a year for it to be launched here). This pissed off quite a bit of ppl. On the bright side, there seems to be a xbox fan club starting up. Not much details on them but it is a start.

Oh yeah, there was a bash in one of the hot clubs in town and the xbox was launched there. There were news in papers on it and most of the info are from those papers. Hope M$ can do better. :(

Black Ace
11-23-2002, 11:43 PM
Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are starting to released game consoles elsewhere in Asia other than Japan. S. Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong. Most of those places are hotbed for console piracy.

Twelve
11-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Difference is, Solar, that nobody is so anti-piracy as Microsoft. Of course NO ONE wants piracy, but NO ONE(of the three) has put so much work against it like Microsoft. Therefore, to see them launch in places where piracy abounds is rather...well....funny!

Healin
11-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Although Singapore has is a piracy hotbed, there are strigents checks against them. At one time there was practically no pirated stuff to be found if you don put in effort. Nowadays, the pirates are back. You get a pirated ps2 game for like 6.5 US$. Quite cheap considering you pay up to 60 US$ for imported games. PC games goes like 5 US$ while installers are generally more ex. The actual price depends on the no. of disc for the software.

Malaysia and HK was bad at a point. You buy VCDs at like 2 US$ from shopping malls even before the show is out. I heard the government has curbed this now but I really haven't visited Johor for quite some time so couldn't verify this. M$ will have a hard time fighting piracy in Malaysia cause I read papers that the government there is contemplating the use of pirated software in schools because of the high cost of the original ones.