PDA

View Full Version : OPM's Reader Choice Awards: 2001

Overlord
05-02-2002, 01:13 AM
Heres the results for OPM's Reader Choice Awards 2001! It's in the May issue of OPM, if you don't get it, heres the results:

NOTE::: Runners up are placed in order of 1st runner up to 2nd runner up etc.)))

BEST ADVENTURE GAME: Metal Gear Solid 2 SOL
(runners up: Ico, Silent Hill2, Onimusha, and Escape from Monkey Island) Metal Gear Solid2 won by a long shot by taking 76% of the votes....like we didn't see that coming.

Accepting the award is Konami Chief Operating Officer
Mr. Dick Wnuk.
"As the leading PlaySation magazine, we recognize that OPM speaks to some of the most well-informed and savvy gamers. At Konami, we strive to deliver games that live up to these gamer' expectations. We are thrilled to recieve this award; not only because it is coming from the "official" PlayStation magazine, but because it represents a stamp of approval from the gamers themselves. Thanks to all for supporting the game."

BEST EXTREME SPORTS GAME: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
(runners up: SSX Tricky, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX2, Dark Summit, and MX2002)
Tony Hawk won by taken a strong 57% of the votes.

Accepting the award is Neversoft President, Mr. Joel Jewett.
"Thanks! This means a lot to us because it's from the people for whom we work: the people who buy our games. There are a lot of good games that we compete with, so this is the type of recognition that will motivate us for next year...wait till you check out what we have going for next time around."

BEST SPORTS GAME: Madden NFL 2002
(runners up: NBA Street, NHL 2002, FIFA 2002, High Heat 2002)
Madden NFL took 42% of the votes taking an easy #1

Accepting the award is Executive Producer, Mr. Steven Chiang.
"Thanks to OPM and all of the readers for this honor, Madden NFL 2002 would not have been possible without the amazing team of talented programmers, artists and designers who do whatever it takes to make a great game. Every year the competition increases, and these guys continue to take our game to the next level. A special thanks to all of the Madden fans who make this game so popular."

BEST RACING GAME: Gran Turismo 3 A spec
(runners up: ATV Offroad Fury, Burnout, Extreme G III, F1 2002)
Gran Turismo dominated by taking a whopping 85% of the votes...what competition...

Accepting the award is Producer and Sony Computer Entertainment's own, Kazunori Yamauchi.
"When we released the first Gran Turismo, back in 1997, we didn't expect this many people to catch on and play this game. Throughout the series of the Gran Turismo franchise, we have always tried our best to bring the highest quality driving experience into the living room. To have GT3 A spec selected as the best racing game by the OPM readers is truly a great honor and very much appreciated by our team."

BEST FIGHTING GAME: Dynasty Warriors 3
(runners up: Capcom vs. SNK 2, WWF Smackdown Just Bring it, Bloody Roar 3, Guilty Gear X)
Dynasty Warriors 3 won by taking 27% of the votes. This was an extremely close, especially between Capcom vs. SNK 2, which trailed only be one percent of the votes.

Accepting the Award is Koei's VP of sales and marketing, Amos Ip:
"We are honored to recieve such an exceptional award in such a competitive category. With Dynasty Warriors 3, we have expanded on our own tactical action series and provided what we believed is on of the most original and exciting games for the ps2. Over 1 million units have sold worldwide, but no matter what we say on our end, it's the consumers who end up with the biggest voice. We thank you for that."

BEST ACTION GAME: GRAND THEFT AUTO 3
(runners up: Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Twisted Metal Black, Half-Life)
GTA won by a solid 61%, its closet runner up, Devil May Cry came in a not so close 24%. Everything else was just blown out of the water...

Accepting the award is Rockstar's Games very own, Mr. Terry Donovan.
"We are delighted by the response to [GTA3]. The fact that a game aimed squarely to adults with such a heady mixture of creativity and technology could strike such a resounding emotional chord with gamers nationwide, and be the number-one-selling video game of 2001 {{{{{what about ffX, remember, ffX is 2002...now back to the quote}}}}}} is a huge validation for the work put in by Sam Houser and the team headed up by Les Benzies in Scotland. But it isn't only a triumph for us, it is a hugely positive step for a maturing industry which is set to dominate global entertainment in the years to come."

AND FINALLY, THE PS2 GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Final Fantasy X

~~~~FFX was also the winner of BEST RPG, but I'm sure you already knew that...~~~~
(runners up: Grand Theft Auto 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo 3, NBA Street, Ico, Jak and Daxter tPL, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, and Twisted Metal Black.)
This was very close between FFX, GTA3, and MGS2, but at the end FFX came to be the winner by taking 32% of the votes.

Accepting the award is Producer, Mr. Yoshinori Kitase.
" On behalf of the Final Fantasy X team, I would like to thank our fans around the world and especially those who voted FFX the PS2 game of the year. It is a great honor to receive this award. This being the first Final Fantasy for the ps2, we faced numerous challenges, but our goal remained the same-to create the best RPG ever. Our efforts proved successful in the welcome reception we saw after its release in Japan and in the U.S This award are a great encouragement for our future projects to come."

And there we have it, OPM's Reader Choice Awards 2001. For those of you who didn't even know how the &^% to vote, go over to www.gamers.com for information. So that next time, those of you who didn't partake can do so next awards time and so forth.

Source: Allrpg.com

Your thoughts?

Tidus
05-02-2002, 03:47 AM
Interesting... I'm glad that FFX won. I can't wait to replay that game this summer!

ATMA
05-02-2002, 12:46 PM
yep FFX rules !!! Another different thing between GTA3 and FFX is that a majority european players haven't play FFX yet so the game still have to come out here in europe and i'm sure when it comes out it will knock GTA3 down in the charts !!!((not that GTA3 is a bad game )) I'm also happy for MGS2 !!
Too bad SSX TRICKY didn't won but that's my opinion !!!..keep up the good job SQUARESOFT !!!!

Overlord
05-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Personally, I think that SSX: Tricky should have won extreme sports. Tony Hawk is great and all, but it's getting a little stale, in my opinion.

...I was kinda surpised that FFX won(that also had my choice for game of the year). I just thought that GTA3 would win. Since it just dominated the sale charts.

And FFX didn't come out 'till Dec-18 over here. Its kinda weird that they showed the results for last year in the June issue.

Gran Turismo 3 had the least competion, in it's catorgory.

ATMA
05-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Well i'm not surprised by that fact that FFX won GTA3 ...sure the game is good but FFX isn't out for the PAL version yet and giving the fact that FFX won GTA3 while FFX isn't out in europe kinda gives you an idea what will FFX do when it gets out!Than after a few months we can see how much units they sold worldwide !!!

So i'm not the only one that thinks SSX TRICKY shoulda won huh ??.hahaha well great to hear that
so OVERLORD who's your favourite character ??
I like MAC !!!! MAC IS THE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN :D

Bigg Russ
05-07-2002, 05:15 PM
All the extremely hyped games won.

TriForce
05-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Why am I not surprised that the PSM readers got every single category wrong? :cool:

Overlord
05-07-2002, 10:36 PM
All the extremely hyped games won.

Why am I not surprised that the PSM readers got every single category wrong?

Then exactly who would you guys have rather won in each catogory? Most of them are pretty correct.

TriForce
05-08-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Overlord
Then exactly who would you guys have rather won in each catogory? Most of them are pretty correct. I'm glad you asked...

BEST ADVENTURE GAME: Onimusha

BEST SPORTS GAME: NFL 2K2

BEST RACING GAME: Burnout

BEST FIGHTING GAME: Capcom vs SNK 2

BEST ACTION GAME: Devil May Cry

PS2 GAME OF THE YEAR: Devil May Cry

Notably omitted was the "extreme sports" category, as they aren't sports and are a waste of good CDs/DVDs.

Overlord
05-08-2002, 05:07 PM
Personally I rather would have had ICO win the adventure game of the year, insted of MGS2. I didn't like the controls in Onimusha, but everything eles in the game was okay. All three of those games are short though.

...Do you really think that burnout is better than GT3? I know everyone has differant tastes, but I would pick GT3 over Burnout anyday.

And what about RPG of the year. FFX wasn't the only RPG out last year, but I know that you don't like the FF series, so...

And theres nothing wrong with Extreme sports.