PDA

View Full Version : EA only using 20% of PS3 power?

progmetal
12-10-2006, 01:07 PM
EA only using 20% of PS3 power?
Published: 08 Dec 2006 19:19
Submitted: 08 Dec 2006 19:16 By: Zhoutai
PlayStation 3 | News Article
News4Gamers.com | Read & Add Comments (102) | Link to this article

Recently Glenn Entis, Vice President and Chief Visual Officer at Electronic Arts discussed his feelings about the PlayStation 3 console.

When asked, how do the PS3 and Xbox 360 match up? Glenn responded:

"The whole industry knows it's been a challenge; the PS3's a very complex piece of equipment. On one hand it's a challenge, on the other hand there's tremendous potential in that box. I think it's going to take developers a little while to figure out how to unlock that power.

We've got games coming out now where we feel we've hit maybe 20 per cent of the potential of PlayStation 3. We know the power's there, but like any new platform it's going to take us a little bit of time to unleash it.

Was it more complex than we were expecting? Yes, probably; there were some challenges that we didn't expect. We've got tremendous confidence long-term that it's going to be a phenomenal games machine."

So to find that EA has only tapped into 20% of the PS3's power, you look at games like Fight Night Round 3 with amazing graphics and realistic facial animations, it makes you wonder what the PS3 will have in store for us in the future. Like Glenn said,"...We know the power's there, but like any new platform it's going to take us a little bit of time to unleash it.

http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-17300.aspx

And the devs for the F1 game for PS3 also had this to say about the PS3:

To give you an idea of the power of PlayStation 3, when we first started developing the game, for the first six months we were using high-end PCs to handle all the mundane pipeline stuff. But we ended up ditching them all and replacing them with a rack of PS3s because they handled all of the information quicker. In terms of raw processing power it absolutely rips apart a high-end PC.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746391p1.html

sharky~
12-10-2006, 01:24 PM
In terms of raw processing power it absolutely rips apart a high-end PC.
Wonder how much Sony payed him..

MarionetteKazuk
12-10-2006, 01:28 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1795/evilvi6.jpg

1 BILLION dollars.

darren
12-10-2006, 01:41 PM
the only thing EA will ever unleash is an army of crap titles

B.B. Gambini
12-10-2006, 01:50 PM
this reminds of all the bullsh!t "were only using 10% of the ps2's power" statements, blah blah, who cares

Seraph
12-10-2006, 02:14 PM
In terms of raw processing power it absolutely rips apart a high-end PC.They would actually be able to trick me with PR stuff if they didnt put in hilarous comments like this.

Reality
12-10-2006, 02:14 PM
EA has never made a good looking game. If they knew how to then Maddan would look like all those fake renders they was showing in 2004.

VietBitter
12-10-2006, 02:53 PM
In terms of raw processing power it absolutely rips apart a high-end PC.

Haha i was actually believing the whole 20% some what, until i read that part at the end. What a joke.

Mistatee
12-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Im still confused on how you can use 20% of a consoles power.
That would be using 20% of the CPU time, the memory and the GPU all at once. Seems kind of far fetched, seeing as they use all the 360's memory, which happens to be the same, and the GPUs arent vastly different either.

Ontop of that, if you are using 20% of its power, youd think youd try harder to surpass the 360 in graphics:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html

This is extreme BS.
Though if it wasnt then maybe the lie about Killzone2 being twice as good as the E3 render could be true.

progmetal
12-10-2006, 03:06 PM
They would actually be able to trick me with PR stuff if they didnt put in hilarous comments like this.

And you knowing more of this than devs working on a game, is hilarious too. :lol:

Seraph
12-10-2006, 03:34 PM
its just an ignorant statement prog. considering the PS3's final specs had to have been finalized a while ago I guarantee PC's have far surpassed it.

KingSlayer
12-10-2006, 03:36 PM
:lol: Forget a developer, can anyone say with confidence that EA will use 100% of any systems power...That will be the day. And yeah whatever happened to all that footage of Madden. Shoot the game is running at 30 fps. Spare me with the 20% crap, and I'm not knocking the PS3, but EA. :zzz:

Kiuju2k
12-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Where do they get the 20% from? Is there a program that says 20% of hardware usage? I think they're paying them. It doesn't matter if it rips apart a high end pc NOW but, we all know as of january of next year its all over.

http://www.aisrael.org/_Uploads/3161Windows_Vista_logo(2).jpg

http://www.stanza101.com/101blog_images/crysis.jpg

FTW

spider-prime
12-10-2006, 04:53 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1795/evilvi6.jpg

1 BILLION dollars.

Joke so old I didn't see it coming! hahah you sir made me laugh, you now have a full filled life, you can die peacefully now.

but yeah, DX10 FTW!

GrantXP
12-10-2006, 05:10 PM
This is rubbish... Yes the games will get better... but if it is scrathcing the surface... why does fight night slow down and occasionally have sloppy textures. It's all talk. Gears of War has not even flinched when I have played it on 360. I hate this crap because casual gamers believe it...

Alucard
12-10-2006, 05:13 PM
They're just speaking the same rubbish as they did with the ps2. This is no different. PS2 will put a nail in the coffin for PC gaming because its powerful enough to launch missiles!

KingSlayer
12-10-2006, 05:30 PM
:lol:

Reality
12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
You can put to live wires together and launch a missile.

MarionetteKazuk
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
this reminds of all the bullsh!t "were only using 10% of the ps2's power" statements, blah blah, who cares

I think the people who bought a $600 system would care. Why pay $600 for a system that's only going to do anything besides 100% of it's power?

Joke so old I didn't see it coming! hahah you sir made me laugh, you now have a full filled life, you can die peacefully now.

I'll die only if you promise not to steal my clothes.

Zod
12-10-2006, 07:12 PM
the only thing EA will ever unleash is an army of crap titles

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly.

spider-prime
12-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I'll die only if you promise not to steal my clothes.

No dice! you have some nice threads.

MarionetteKazuk
12-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Well.... at least wrap me in bubble wrap afterwards.

shaselai
12-10-2006, 08:13 PM
The thing i want to know is what percent of X360's power has EA "unlocked"? Given ps3's 20% @ launch i give EA unlocking 40% of 360's after a year?

spider-prime
12-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Well.... at least wrap me in bubble wrap afterwards.

How about 3 hole punched paper instead?

MarionetteKazuk
12-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Hmm.... you drive a hard bargain. *handshake* DEAL!

Eidan
12-10-2006, 09:32 PM
This is rubbish... Yes the games will get better... but if it is scrathcing the surface... why does fight night slow down and occasionally have sloppy textures. It's all talk. Gears of War has not even flinched when I have played it on 360. I hate this crap because casual gamers believe it...

Is this a joke? Fight Night is a PORT. You're comparing a port to a game made exclusively around 360 hardware?

spider-prime
12-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Hmm.... you drive a hard bargain. *handshake* DEAL!

Muhahhahaah all according to plan.

Northeastmonk
12-10-2006, 10:38 PM
The Dreamcast had the same thing said about it. Soul Calibur used 20% of the systems power, ShenMue wasn't even like at 35%, and so on. The PlayStation 3 holds a lot more. Cause motostorm looks like crap. Looks like an HDed picture puked. lol. No offence. Maybe it'll take months or years.. but they'll get there. Go Sony!

Catharsis
12-10-2006, 11:54 PM
EA only ever uses 20% of a console. They figure why bother going for more when the games gonna be **** anyways.

Nem
12-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Its crap PR talk. They're using 20%? Aint that interesting? The question is... can they use more than 20%? :P Im inclined to say hardly...
Its funny how they think this sort of PR still works. And sales are what we see. How about prices cuts + titles that are actually good?

TheHardware
12-11-2006, 12:56 AM
why is this a big deal? almost everyone agrees tat the games will look better 2ng gen and so on. the funny part would be is if hes right.....pwnt the whole lot of you...lmao

and whoever said that motorstorm is ugly, forgot to put (imo) and obviously havent seen the newest build,...meh whatever

MarionetteKazuk
12-11-2006, 12:59 AM
why is this a big deal?

My words exactly.

Joe Redifer
12-11-2006, 01:07 AM
The big deal is that Magic Box is about 95% Nintendo fans. Maybe 93%, I don't know. Anything good said about Sony is ripped apart, anything good said about Nintendo is taken as 100% fact. Not sure if anyone cares about MicroSoft or not.

B.B. Gambini
12-11-2006, 01:07 AM
The big deal is that Magic Box is about 95% Nintendo fans. Maybe 93%, I don't know. Anyway anything good said about Sony is ripped apart, anything good said about Nintendo is taken as 100% fact. Not sure if anyone cares about MicroSoft or not.

nope.

fruitsofherwomb
12-11-2006, 01:45 AM
The Dreamcast had the same thing said about it. Soul Calibur used 20% of the systems power, ShenMue wasn't even like at 35%, and so on. The PlayStation 3 holds a lot more. Cause motostorm looks like crap. Looks like an HDed picture puked. lol. No offence. Maybe it'll take months or years.. but they'll get there. Go Sony!
no Yu said that Shenmue Used 50 percent of the Dreamcast power, I think he was basically right.

Shenmue 2 was huge compared to Shenmue. so Yu wins and is never wrong. :spinface:

Alucard
12-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Dont get content confused with graphic quality. Far as I could see the engine for Shenmue 2 was just slightly more refined, but still looked the same. Its content was more. NOTHING to do with the systems power at 50%.

Anytime you hear PR people saying the system uses this and this amount for this game, its just them speaking crap. First they're telling you they didnt have time to bother coding properly because they wanted to toss out some titles for launch, which means you are paying $60 for a half arsed created game. Big budget my foot.

Also compare MGS2 and then MGS3, both pretty far apart. Nothing to do with not using the systems full power. Its about the developer getting the engine coded properly so it isnt a sluggish POS. Notice both games look pretty close to each other, yet are some of the best looking games on the ps2.

Again all crap. They should reword that to 'We are only using 20% of our attention. Just give us full price for these expensive next gen games while we slack off and lower the budget to ps2 level lololol'

TheHardware
12-11-2006, 03:12 AM
Dont get content confused with graphic quality. Far as I could see the engine for Shenmue 2 was just slightly more refined, but still looked the same. Its content was more. NOTHING to do with the systems power at 50%.

Anytime you hear PR people saying the system uses this and this amount for this game, its just them speaking crap. First they're telling you they didnt have time to bother coding properly because they wanted to toss out some titles for launch, which means you are paying $60 for a half arsed created game. Big budget my foot.

Also compare MGS2 and then MGS3, both pretty far apart. Nothing to do with not using the systems full power. Its about the developer getting the engine coded properly so it isnt a sluggish POS. Notice both games look pretty close to each other, yet are some of the best looking games on the ps2.

Again all crap. They should reword that to 'We are only using 20% of our attention. Just give us full price for these expensive next gen games while we slack off and lower the budget to ps2 level lololol'

I am TheHardware, and i endorse this message!

Skykappah
12-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Ah haven't written since March! But this warrants a break in hibernation.

Right... If say the current crop of PS3 games are using 20% of the PS3's power and obviously this will be directed at graphics and animation.
Now work out the percentage jumps and picture a movie or something along side it.

Here:
20% PS3 power still doesn't look as good as Toy Story 1.
40% PS3 power may reach Toy Story and around Final Fantasy Advent Children.
60% PS3 power should be on par with CGI from WETA (LOTR).
80% PS3 power could be on par with reailty.
100% PS3 power will surpass what our brains can process.

So are we going to expect graphics so good that reailty will cave in? If we see something beyond our comprehension surely we will either go crazy or not see it at all!

I can't wait till the day the PS3 reaches 100%.

Alucard
12-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Movie studios should just buy a ps3 to do all their computer effects. I mean pcs arent as powerful. You know?

GrantXP
12-11-2006, 04:29 AM
Is this a joke? Fight Night is a PORT. You're comparing a port to a game made exclusively around 360 hardware?

No it isn't a joke. A friend of mine works with EA and a huge amount of effort went into this one. I agree with you about ports but do you really think if 20% was a realistic number the games would look so unpolished... Maybe other developers had to rush there ports but I know for a fact EA had plenty of time.

pinoy929
12-11-2006, 06:39 AM
The only reason I would agree with this is the difference between first-gen PS2 games and last gen PS2 games. FFXII looks amazing compared to what FFX looks like. Same thing with Tekken Tag vs. Tekken 5. I would agree it's probably a coding issue, but also a "not tapping into it's full power" thing too.

Alucard
12-11-2006, 08:47 AM
The dev crew behind FFXII are extremely talented though. If you recall Vagrant Story on the psx, that game totally blew me away with its graphic quality. It really depends on how good the group is. This is definately the only group in Square who can even do anything remotely good.

Zod
12-11-2006, 11:18 AM

Graphically MGS3 was the same as MGS2 but with better skins over the models to at least look like there's more detail.

You're right about tossing out titles for launch, but for EA, all they do is "toss out titles." They're the biggest recyclers and corner-cutters in the biz, which is how they can develop a new sports game every single year and get a new movie-based game out before the movie. They produce more games than anyone with a steady FLOOD of titles every single month, and they're all crap.

EA doesn't make it's money the "Ferrari" way of only producing a few and focusing on the quality standards of the few then making it's profits off the high sales of individual titles. They instead produce the "Ford" way of mass-producing and making it's profits off the total volumes even if the individual titles sell poorly.

Paper exe
12-11-2006, 11:57 AM
It is ironic how EA admits how crappy their games are!

TheHardware
12-11-2006, 01:01 PM
It is ironic how EA admits how crappy their games are!

I am TheHardware and I endorse this message!

I actually endorse all paper exe messages!

DBJAY
12-11-2006, 01:32 PM
What's worse about EA is that among all third parties, they have far more resources than virtually every other developer. And yet, they get routinely blown away by smaller outfits like Insomniac (as just one example)!

Kiuju2k
12-11-2006, 02:54 PM
But, hey at least they pay their testers pretty good. Thats good right? Of course their studio is pretty far but, yeah. I have nothing to offer say Sega is almost no different than EA these days. Yeah sharky i said it.

kiuju-ttttttthhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeee arrogant vf fan.

Beam
12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
nobody should care because if the games suck what's the point of them looking exceptionally good.

MarionetteKazuk
12-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Beam my good chum, you'll be surprised how many people will play a game regardless if it's good as long as the visuals are good.