PDA

View Full Version : No new Capcom game for Xbox

Rubeus
11-15-2002, 01:43 AM
How come Capcom announced 5 new games for Gamecube at once and there is nothing for Xbox and PS2? Is it because all the games come from Mikami's team?

blueskied
11-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Mikami's studio loves the GC hardware, and Capcom and Nintendo have a very good relationship. The reason no games are announced for the Xbox is because the Xbox hardware sales in japan are total crap (only 280,000 to date, quite a pittance). Japanese developers don't like the Xbox. Who wants to make games for a system in Japan where the most sales you could possibly hope for are only around 250,000? The gamecube has sold over 2 million systems in Japan, and the PS2 has like 10 million (or more, I don't know). It doesn't make sense financially to publish games on the xbox in Japan, and Konami has been the most public company about this, flatly refusing to publish any Xbox games in Japan unless sales drastically improve.The only two main Japanese developers still making games for the xbox are Sega and Tecmo, and this is only because MS has paid them loads of cash to make the games. Also because Sega worked with MS on the dreamcast hardware ("powered by Windows CE"). As for no new games on the PS2, well, I don't know why. Mikami's studio seems to be exclusively developing GC games now. Capcom is still making PS2 games (and even has a couple more Xbox titles to roll out before they ultimately cutoff Xbox development), like Breath of Fire V (which looks rather nice I might add, I just saw a commercial for it the other day).

Speaking of commercials, I must say MS Japan doesn't really know what they're doing. I saw an Xbox commercial here for the first time today, and it made no sense. It had some pretty woman in a dress and then she had a pie thrown in her face and then the xbox logo flashed on the screen. The end. What the f#$! is that supposed to be?:irked" Keep up the good work MS.

cheers!

Alucard
11-15-2002, 02:38 PM
Well I dont know about XBox, but Capcom have the new DMC2 coming for PS2 and also some other freakish shooting style game like it I dont remember. The name is somewhere. I'm just too lasy to look for it.

DBJAY
11-15-2002, 03:11 PM
Also, don't forget Dino Crisis 3 for Xbox is an exclusive. Hopefully it will appear in 2003.

Havoc2049
11-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by blueskied

Speaking of commercials, I must say MS Japan doesn't really know what they're doing. I saw an Xbox commercial here for the first time today, and it made no sense. It had some pretty woman in a dress and then she had a pie thrown in her face and then the xbox logo flashed on the screen. The end. What the f#$! is that supposed to be?:irked" Keep up the good work MS.

cheers!

That does sound like a crap commercial. Maybe that is why the head of the Xbox division in Japan was demoted within the company.

Most of the Xbox commercials in the US show almost nothing but game footage. The new commercial for for MechAssualt is a good, but not great(Halo was great) Xbox commercial.

Havoc2049
11-15-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
Well I dont know about XBox, but Capcom have the new DMC2 coming for PS2 and also some other freakish shooting style game like it I dont remember. The name is somewhere. I'm just too lasy to look for it.

Are you talking about that cowboy/old west action adventure game, The Quick and The Dead? That game looks really good.

Capcom is bringing SNK vs Capcom 2: EO to the Xbox, which is playable via Xbox Live. Unless there is some announcements in the future though, Xbox is getting the least Capcom love, out of the three systems. I would love to see Killer7 on the XB.

Cobi*
11-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by AtariX

Are you talking about that cowboy/old west action adventure game, The Quick and The Dead? That game looks really good.

i thought it was called red dead revolver. capcom has lots planned for ps2 (megaman x7, biohazard network, onimusha 3, dmc2, capcom fighting allstars...etc) you get the idea...

blueskied's assesment of xbox in japan seems really bleak, i don't think that xbox live will even save them now. they need some really good software (preferably an rpg) and the window of opportunity to get that software out in japan is closing microsoft.

Overlord
11-16-2002, 09:47 PM
cobi40-50:
i thought it was called red dead revolver. capcom has lots planned for ps2 (megaman x7, biohazard network, onimusha 3, dmc2, capcom fighting allstars...etc) you get the idea...

Yeah, it is called Red Dead Revolver. Theres also the new Breath Of Fire game coming ot it. And check out the Capcoms site, they have a big list of upcoming PS2 games. But they're all in Japanese, but they still have pics and stuff. They have about 6 movies for Critical Bullet: 7th Strike up.

Havoc2049
11-17-2002, 08:42 AM
Ya, my bust, Red Dead Revolver...hmm....The Quick and The Dead almost sounds better.:D

Nindalf
11-17-2002, 09:30 AM
I saw an Xbox commercial where tho men played table tennis using their giant ears to hit the ball and after that there was quick flash of some xbox games

retarted...

Cobi*
11-19-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Overlord

Yeah, it is called Red Dead Revolver. Theres also the new Breath Of Fire game coming ot it. And check out the Capcoms site, they have a big list of upcoming PS2 games. But they're all in Japanese, but they still have pics and stuff. They have about 6 movies for Critical Bullet: 7th Strike up.

how the heck did i overlook breath of fire v, it's in my avataar for cripes sake!! has medical science concluded that this the only brain i can have in this life time? because i don't think it's working :spinface:

Olm52
11-19-2002, 08:43 AM
The xbox is dead in Japan. Konami the biggest publisher in Japan has stopped publishing games there, and i expect other companies will follow suit..

Kid0_oIcarus
11-19-2002, 01:08 PM
They still have Tecmo on their laps though, don't forget that...

Olm52
11-19-2002, 01:16 PM
yeah, but only because they pay them millions of dollars to do so.

Reality
11-19-2002, 01:21 PM
Beside that don't you think it would be getting kind of old getting a DOA game of some kind each year? They'll run out of idea's really fast that way. Who knows, maybe in 2004 they'll announce a DOA dating sim.

Olm52
11-19-2002, 01:42 PM
The DOA series is the only system seller the XBOX has in Japan, and they've already capitalised on that at its launch.

Havoc2049
11-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Reality
Beside that don't you think it would be getting kind of old getting a DOA game of some kind each year? They'll run out of idea's really fast that way. Who knows, maybe in 2004 they'll announce a DOA dating sim.

Ya, who knows, maybe Tecmo will revive the Ninja Gaiden series and release it on the Xbox. Oh wait, they already did that and it will be out in 2003. Maybe Tecmo will release Fatal Frame for the Xbox. Oh wait, they already did that. Tecmo is more than just DOA. DOAX also looks to be a winner. Do Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda and Virtua Fighter games suck because so many have been made? Only three DOA games have been released so far and only one on the Xbox, that is nothing compared to to some long running series on Sony and Nintendo platforms. I guess since this is the Xbox though, I guess it is COOL to bitch and moan about it. Who cares if companies keep making games in the same franchise/universe, just as long as they are good.

The Xbox is carving out a niche in Japan. It seems as if many Japanese companies are porting PC games to the Xbox. I know none of these games are system sellers and none of the companies involved are a Sega, Konami or Square, but at least the Xbox is getting a steady flow of games in Japan and Microsoft of Japan keeps releasing games. The Xbox isn't dead in Japan. It is doing bad, but how much you want to bet that Microsoft of Japan is still making a profit. Any takers?

If the Xbox can take a solid second in the Norh American, European and SE Asia/Australian markets, then I'm sure you will still see some Japanese companies releasing games for the Xbox in those markets.

Nindalf
11-19-2002, 04:57 PM

how much you want to bet that Microsoft of Japan is still making a profit. Any takers?

Correct me if im wrong but didint MS announce that it have lost about $170 mil with Xbox so what would make it get profit from Japan, country where Xbox sales are the worst?

Reality
11-19-2002, 05:03 PM
That would be true if it was a "solid" second, but it's not. All I was saying is DOA is the game Tecmo is best known for. The thing is you can only milk a title for so long. Even DOA 4 is a remake of past DOA games. But this is true for all games. Super Smash Bros. On the Gamecube would get really old buy making a Smash like title each year. Same for Tomb Raider. I wasn't attacking the Xbox.

Havoc2049
11-19-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by NiN

Correct me if im wrong but didint MS announce that it have lost about $170 mil with Xbox so what would make it get profit from Japan, country where Xbox sales are the worst?

Xbox losses are chump change compared to the kind of money Microsoft pulls in on software sales each year. Microsoft is one of the few non-Japanese companies who are successful in Japan. You need to look at the big picture when talking about the Xbox. Microsoft isn't like hardware/videogame companies of the past, such as Sega, Atari or SNK, where all they have is videogames.

Kid0_oIcarus
11-19-2002, 07:19 PM
I like Ninja Gaiden.. I just hope it sells horrible and maybe Tecmo will come to their senses and go multi-platform.

DBJAY
11-19-2002, 08:35 PM
It will probably be Tecmo's third million seller on Xbox, followed by the fourth DOA.

Kid0_oIcarus
11-19-2002, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't doubt it, Ninja-Gaiden is l33t.

But still... I can always jinx them...

Olm52
11-19-2002, 09:19 PM
they arent making a profit at all. theres only been a console attach rate of 2 so far. meaning that M$ is losing money on HARDWARE in Japan.Add that to the massive, but completely ineffectual marketing campaign, and MS Japan sint doing too well atm, i'd imagine.

Cobi*
11-20-2002, 07:48 PM
...Do Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda and Virtua Fighter games suck because so many have been made?...

final fantasy? you big silly, OFCOURSE not. :2happy: :P :D

i think once xbox live takes off in japan there will be more interest in xbox in japan. seriously, right now they don't have any good games for xbox in japan (ok dbjay, OTHER than doa3 :D ). all xbox needs is that one breakout hit, it won't be number 1 but it'll be doing a whole lot better. i think their best hope is true fantasy live online (did i get the name right? the level 5 developed online rpg). it's like nintendo said, microsoft doesn't really know what they are doing with the xbox, it's all copy and paste for them at the moment.

Black Ace
11-23-2002, 11:54 PM
I played Ninja Gaiden on the NES, the game's kinda difficult. Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, I admit, looks absolutely georgous.

For Tecmo's sake, the game needs to sell atleast a million.

blueskied
11-24-2002, 12:46 AM
MS making a profit in Japan off the Xbox?hahaha. That's a good one.:haha:

Fact 1: MS is selling the xbox w/ a free DVD kit for 24,500 yen (about $200). They lost about $50 with each sale (negative profit). In america this works as they make that money back with software sales, but in Japan the software sales are so low they don't break even.

Fact 2: No MS published software title has come close to selling 100,000 copies in Japan. The most copies any Xbox game in Japan has sold is DOA3, which only sold 150,000. Most Xbox games in Japan sell between 10,000-30,000 copies. Small change.

Fact 3: there are only 280,000 xboxes sold in Japan to date. They average about 1000 sales a week. Very bad numbers

Fact 4: MS still makes loads of money in Japan off of computer software so it doesn't really matter.

I've asked many japanese gamers here why they don't have an xbox. They answer: it's too expensive; there aren't many good games; they don't care for american games.

blueskied
11-24-2002, 12:53 AM

The Xbox is carving out a niche in Japan. It seems as if many Japanese companies are porting PC games to the Xbox. I know none of these games are system sellers and none of the companies involved are a Sega, Konami or Square, but at least the Xbox is getting a steady flow of games in Japan and Microsoft of Japan keeps releasing games.

The xbox is not carving out a "niche" in japan. A more accurate accessment would be that it's holding on to dear life trying to survive but getting closer to death every day. I live in japan, I know what people here think about the xbox. There are a handful of PC ports to the xbox coming soon, but who cares? People aren't going to buy an xbox to play PC games they can play on their PC! There are more PC ports for the Dreamcast in japan coming out than for the xbox, does that mean the DC is a thriving system? Nope. These PC ports are all average games that will sell in small numbers.

The xbox needs more original games developed by known & respected Japanese developers. Especially RPGs. Tecmo and Sega aren't enough.

Havoc2049
11-25-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by blueskied

Fact 4: MS still makes loads of money in Japan off of computer software so it doesn't really matter.

You are correct. I never did say that the Xbox is making money in Japan. I said that Microsoft of Japan is profitable.

blueskied
11-25-2002, 10:06 PM
You know, I have to admit some upcoming Xbox games look really amazing, and they could help them in the Japanese market. Games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden, Sudeki. Especially Ninja Gaiden. I might buy an xbox to play that!

The xbox still has a chance to turn things around in japan, we'll see if MS Japan can do it.

Dark-SMOKU
11-30-2002, 03:31 PM
I think i would like Microsoft better it they didn't try to buy there way into the console market....got me mad...:mad: