PDA

View Full Version : Why PS2 doesn't get Virtua Fighter Quest?

Rubeus
04-17-2002, 03:23 PM
Why Sega doesn't bring Virtua Fighter Quest to PS2? I think it's a much more suitable platform for the game than Gamecube.

1. VF4 is already released for PS2, it's a perfect match to have VF Quest on PS2 as well.

2. If PS2 gets VF Quest, Sega can create some sort of data exchange function with VF4, which can soup up the sales of both games.

3. VF Quest will most likely have an more mature theme, which is not suitable for a kid-oriented machine like Gamecube.

4. No other companies can generate good sales on Gamecube, so far on Nintendo's own title can sale, even hits like Virtua Striker 3, Biohazard have failed to capture a decent sale.

Wolf of Mibu
04-17-2002, 06:06 PM
1. VF4 is already released for PS2, it's a perfect match to have VF Quest on PS2 as well.

answer

VFQ is a kiddy type of game (yes Sega said that, i'm not making it up), and is coming out to bring Nintendo fans into Virtua Fighter.

2. If PS2 gets VF Quest, Sega can create some sort of data exchange function with VF4, which can soup up the sales of both games.

See above answer.

3. VF Quest will most likely have an more mature theme, which is not suitable for a kid-oriented machine like Gamecube.

see above answer

4. No other companies can generate good sales on Gamecube, so far on Nintendo's own title can sale, even hits like Virtua Striker 3, Biohazard have failed to capture a decent sale.

see above answer

BlueMemories
04-17-2002, 07:54 PM
Wolfy: I don't know if you are just saying that VFQ is going to be a kiddy game just so you can feel better or something. If it is an honest mistake, then I should inform you that the creator of the game Yu Sazuki had stated that the game will not be dumped down for younger players.
A week or two before the official announcement of the game, Sega's president (not sure) did commented that if there were a VF game on the Cube, it would be aimed at young gamers. But later the creator said that was not the case. Maybe you are mistaken by that.

Tifa's Knight
04-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Umm... let's see.

A. Virtua Fighter Quest is not a "kiddy game." Yu Suzuki said it would not be kid or adult oriented, but right smack dab in the middle.

B. The GameCube is NOT a kid-oriented machine, and if you think it is you're full of shit. Many of its biggest-name games are M-rated; ResEvil, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Perfect Dark 0, etc. etc. If you don't like it, fine, but there's no reason to insult the intelligence and/or maturity of Nintendo fans. We're not as stupid as you think.

C. Because Sega and Nintendo are friends.

D. Kirby could kick your ass.

Wolf of Mibu
04-17-2002, 09:24 PM
http://www.geocities.com/chtang.geo/game032902.htm

Its also been said at other sites, and by Yu Suzuki.

I dont know if your fanboys quite frankly i dont care.

Nintendo has stated numerous times what their demographic is, if you're uncomfortable knowing that you own or play a system which aims for that demographic, thats your problem. But you would be infact as stupid as I think. Fact is you made an asumption because you are a fool or a fanboy or perhaps both.

C. Because Sega and Nintendo are friends.

Ok...

D. Kirby could kick your ass.

Looks like someone is 5 years old...

Tifa's Knight
04-17-2002, 09:51 PM
GameJam2: Sega announced a secret GameCube project called the "Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary Special Project" the genre is action adventure, featuring every single character in the Virtua Fighter series, and a simple control system.

Umm... that's what the Magic Box link you posted says about VFQ. I don't see anything in there about it being "kiddy." Got some explaining to do?

As for me being a fanboy... it makes me laugh when someone calls me a "fanboy" as if that's a bad thing. Why is it that everyone these days uses the word "fanboy" synonymously with the term "blindly ignorant lover of a console for no apparent reason"? I am a Nintendo fanboy through and through, but all that means is that I love their games to death and they happen to be my favorite game company, not that I automatically assume all games for Nintendo systems are superior. I'm also a Squaresoft fanboy and an SNK fanboy and a punk rock fanboy. 5 years old? Nope, I'm 16, but I do my best to act like I'm 5. Glad it's working. Kirby could still kick your ass, too! :D

Finally, as for Nintendo stating what their demographic is... I'd like to quote a little news article here, featuring a quote from the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto.

February 25, 2002 - In a recent interview with the news service Reuters, Nintendo's legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto reiterated his philosophy on game creation. The general director said that too many developers rely only on graphics to sell videogames and that this is the wrong approach.
"In the game industry we see this trend to create the most realistic games. I see that as kind of limiting what the game creators are able to do and limiting their freedom," noted Miyamoto. "I don't see that there is much of a need to continue to progress in the direction of even more realistic and beautiful graphics. We really need to move more toward creativity, and new ideas."

The industry icon also reiterated the company's plans to create games for gamers of all ages, and that labeling Nintendo as a kid-centric publisher is untrue. "We don't think in terms of younger gamers versus older gamers," Miyamoto said. "I still think the best policy is to focus on these games that have a wider appeal."

There you go. The link to the full article is here http://cube.ign.com/articles/354/354447p1.html

Wolf of Mibu
04-17-2002, 10:00 PM
You show you ignorance because Nintendo has said numerous times that they are not competeting with sony, and they are after a different demographic.

and simple controls = kiddy, not thats its going to be a goofy game. Thats where you "fanboys" are mistaken. I like games like Pokemon or even kirby. But the fact is these games are meant for kids, and they are meant to be extremely easy. Nintendo isnt going to tell mature gamers "dont buy our system" directly, but if asked they will say they arent going after the same demographic that sony is. If you cant except that sucks for you.

Virtua Fighter Quest isnt going to be a Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Solid type of game. Its going to be a game where kids can get into using the Virtua Fighter characters in an adventure in an easy way, getting them to buy Virtua fighter fighting games.

BlueMemories
04-17-2002, 10:07 PM
I'm hoping that your comment about fanboy and stupid this and that doesn't invole me, Wolf, beceause I don't think I said anything bad. :( If you were referring to me too, then I want to tell you that no one can call me stupid except for maybe my mom...and dad... maybe also my brothers and sisters. Do you hear me?

I could be wrong about Yu S[u]zuki's comment during Sega Jams but I remember reading that he specifically said the game will not be aimed for the so-called GC kiddy market (I'm expecting a T rating, not a lot of violent and blood, but will have some situations or plot that are not going to suitable for kids).

The President of Sega said that a GC version would most likely be kiddy but I doubt he or Sega has much control over AM2 (or other teams) anymore. AM2 is a more independent team now. It doesn't get developer funds from Sega like before. It has to make its own profit and so on. I may be wrong about this.

Tifa's Knight
04-17-2002, 10:11 PM
I don't think that a "simple control scheme" means "kiddy." No, scratch that, it's pretty obvious that a simple control scheme doesn't mean kiddy. Dude, the entire VF series has a simple control scheme, it's only 3 buttons!

I am not ignorant nor am I stupid, and you'd do well to take me seriously - I know my facts, and among them is the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto said himself very specifically in that interview that Nintendo does not target their products at kids. I also remember the interview where Nintendo said they do not consider themselves competitors with Sony and Microsoft quite well. The reason they gave was because Sony and Microsoft are attempting to make multi-media entertainment centers, and Nintendo is just about games. Not because they are kid-oriented. So who's the one in denial?

As for Kirby and Pokemon being "kids games," Kirby was released in a time when 90% of gamers were very young, so yes, that is true, Kirby is aimed at kids, but I still watch cartoons too so I don't see much of a problem with that. Pokemon is an all-ages game; if you play the originals you see that there is nothing in them that particularly implies they are "kiddy games." They are played mostly by kids because the Game Boy is owned mostly by kids, therefore, the TV show and other products that spawned off of the games (which, I might add, were not made by Nintendo but simply licensed) are aimed mostly at kids.

Nintendo has a lot of family-oriented software because in the time when they began, face it, video gamers were almost all kids. They have since developed a very stylized approach to games that has built them an enormous fan base, all of which would be extremely dissapointed to see their style change. They are therefore trying to adapt to the changing industry while maintaining their family-oriented style. That's why they own second parties like Silicon Knights and Retro, and that's why they are securing games like ResEvil and Final Fantasy for GameCube.

Wolf
04-17-2002, 10:12 PM
Relax guys.

The fact is that Virtua FIghter 4 is an extremely deep and mature game. The PS2 has an incredibly large userbase and it's demographic of users is much older then the GameCube's. So speaking in terms of sales, VF4 would sell much better on the PS2.

The GameCube is a deifferent beast. Not only were fighters a rare thing on the N64, not much is headed the GC's way. Save SOul CAlibur at least. Yu Suzuki has expressed his interest in the GameCube many times. He has already worked on the PS2 and is currently involved with porting Shenmue II over to the XBox. So maybe he could possibly want to check out the GC hardware and develop some original content for it.

As for age factor:

According to Yu Suzuki, the creator of the Virtua Fighter series, the target audience will be both adults, and younger players. Although a specific genre has not been announced, Suzuki said, "We plan to put adventure and RPG elements into the game. We intend to include all the characters from the series, not just some. And based on the plan documents in my hands, I can say right now that the A button is for kick, and there is a health gauge too."

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2859441,00.html

Tifa's Knight
04-17-2002, 11:02 PM
Don't worry, I'm quite calm. I just like arguments :D

Anyway, thanks for quoting that - I'd been searching for it but couldn't find it. That should pretty much close the case.

FRDrizzt
04-21-2002, 02:56 PM
VF4 does have a simple control scheme for beginners, I must agree. But I usually use at least 5 buttons per fight (Punch, Kick, Block, P+K+B (L2), and K+B (R2)). I wouldn't call it a kiddy game just because it's easy to pick up.

emagius
04-21-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Wolf of Mibu
I like games like Pokemon or even kirby. But the fact is these games are meant for kids, and they are meant to be extremely easy.

Generally the trend has been to make "kiddy" games more challenging and difficult than "mature" games (e.g., Pokemon vs. FF, Metal Gear Ghost Babel vs. Metal Gear Solid 1/2, and hordes of cross-genre comparisons). While the reasoning behind this is a little murky, I have a few theories:

1) "Mature" games go for an aging crowd that no longer has the reflexes, patience, or skill to compete with younger gamers.

2) "Kiddy" games can't rely on blood to bring in gamers -- therefor they must make an extra effort in the gameplay department.

3) Mature games cater to more casual gamers who aren't so much interested in the gameplay as in the story, graphics, and atmosphere.

4) People concerned with playing "cool" games aren't likely to have mad skillz.

More likely than not, it's a blend of the above. Just my two cents. =)

Alucard
04-22-2002, 04:30 AM
I'll hop in. The game will be simple in controls. It sounds like an old style action rpg where one button was attack, another was block, and another was usually use item. So it'll most likely be like that. I dont think it'll have a childish story line, if thats what some think.

Sega did say they were bringing a VF4 version to GC, but if anyone remembers Virtua Fighter Kids on the Saturn console, thats what it'll most likely be like. They said something along those lines. So thats kinda freaky.

And if every game came out on every console then we'd be happy little consumers. Sadly, life isn't that good. You need to choose your systems by the games coming. I'm happy with my PS2 and GC.

FRDrizzt
04-22-2002, 07:56 PM
Yu Suzuki never said they were bringing VF4 to GCN, he said that there was a possibility of it happening as a VFKids game. But then they announced VFQuest, and that may negate the earlier statement. But it's not a guarantee that a VF Series (i.e. fighter) game will appear on the GCN.

Iori
04-26-2002, 10:51 PM
I'd rather they release Virtua Fighter Collection for PS2, which contain VF1,2,3 and 3tb in a single game!