PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is wrong with this forum - part 2

Seska
11-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Since Solar (unnecessarily) closed the previous popup thread, here's my comment on the matter:

Switching to default does NOT switch the popups off. You don't get them every new window you browse to, but every so often a popup appears, sometimes depending on the banners that load. I use Popupcop and am used to hearing it "pop" every so often while I browse through the forums.

Kid0_oIcarus
11-14-2002, 12:39 PM
What is this "popup cop" that you speak of? And doesit really make a popping sound?

Black Ace
11-14-2002, 04:46 PM
For a while, the default didn't had any, now it does. Get a pop up stopper, panic ware (www.panicware.com) You do know that it cost a lot to run The Magic Box. Ads revenue are paid to keep this place open and free of charge.

Kid0_oIcarus
11-14-2002, 04:47 PM
Yeah, at least it's not as bad as the Planet GameCube forums.. mamma mia!

Rubeus
11-15-2002, 01:55 AM
I use the ad-blocking feature in Norton Internet Security and I've never seen any popups in this site at all! Guess it works better than any of these popup killer apps!
:cool:

Seska
11-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Popup Cop is a slamm popup detecting program thet doesnt run in th background, it embeds itself into IE (therefore IE-specific) and blocks any unwanted popups. I found it works niver than the popup stopper from ym firewall (also Norton) as it is hugely customisable.

Kid0_oIcarus
11-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Yes but does it make those "popping" noises you mentioned? Everything is riding on this feature.

Dubkiller
11-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Yeah, having popup ads in a forum is annoying. I'm a member on quite a few boards, and this is the only place I've seen that has 'em. It really detracts from this place, IMHO.

Seska
11-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Yep, the "pop" feature you can switch on or off, I keep it on so I know if I click on a link that requires popups, so Im not wondering what's amiss, why isnt the page loading, etc.

And its not as much a popping sound as some guy saying "POP!"

Its kinda funny. :p

WINDJAMMERS
11-19-2002, 01:53 AM
I might download one of those popup stoppers one of these days. I am not thoroughly annoyed as of yet.

On a side note: GI JOE TONIGHT!!! Cartoon Network, 12:30!

xXx Beaver xXx
11-19-2002, 02:39 AM
I hate these stupid pop-ups too!

Good thing my pop-up killer is killing right now... Takes up RAM...

- Triple X Beaver :spinface:

Robo Halloween
12-01-2002, 02:04 AM
Solar, I want to search and destroy the people talking on the new pop-up. Please change ads, if its in your power, you might save lives.

Seska
12-01-2002, 05:43 AM
I say leave the ads in place if they are generating even SOME income for the Magic Box site. If they bother you a lot, get a popup killer. Heres a link with a heck of a lot of popup stoppers, all of them freeware: http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/misctools/fwpopblock.shtml