PDA

View Full Version : No MGS2 Substance in Japan

Black Sugar
11-13-2002, 01:13 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance for Xbox, touted as the highest profile franchise on the system from a Japanese developer, will not see a Japanese release. Konami has stated that the install base for the Xbox in Japan is too small to even bother porting the game.

The game will still be released for the PlayStation 2 in Japan, but a month later than originally planned. The delay pushes the game back from this December to January of next year.

The U.S. release date for the PS2 version of Substance remains only "next year."

Source | Gameforms

Kid0_oIcarus
11-13-2002, 01:21 PM
Ouch. Does this have any sort of impact at all, though? Was Japan looking forward to this game?

Obviously it doesn't sound good, but is it really that bad?

Black Ace
11-13-2002, 01:25 PM
Konami also pulled a baseball game, because of the install base in Japan. The game will now only be on GC and PS2.

Black Sugar
11-13-2002, 02:02 PM
I really don't like the direction third-parties are taking toward the Xbox in Japan, but i'm not surprise either.

Microsoft never did a proper marketing plan for Japan comsummers, i guess they had this one coming.

Don't be surprise to hear more news like this one in a near future.

Cobi*
11-13-2002, 02:14 PM
yeah, either that or ps2 is too good for xbox to beat it in japan :P

Pause
11-14-2002, 02:40 AM
I hate to say it, but I think that this is going to be more & more the norm. Most Japanese publishers count on at least some revenue from the Japanese market. If they know that they can't cover production costs with Japanese sales & make profit from US sales, I don't see them making the effort to do many games on the box :mad: If anything, it'll get PS2's sloppy seconds from Japanese publishers.

I'm still trying to figure out how Tecmo is bedding up with MS & staying afloat.

Havoc2049
11-14-2002, 04:24 AM
Tecmo is staying afloat/profitable on the Xbox because they sold a million copies of DOA3. The Xbox version of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance is doing just fine sales wise, in the US.

For the week of November 4 to November 11:

Rank / Title / Publisher / Platforms
1 / Grand Theft Auto: Vice City / Take-Two / PS2
2 / Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 / Activision / PS2, Xbox, GC, GBA, PS
3 / The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers / Electronic Arts / PS2
4 / Metal Gear Solid: Substance / Konami / Xbox
5 / Medal of Honor: Frontline / EA / Xbox, GC, PS2
6 / Kingdom Hearts / EA / PS2
7 / Madden NFL 2003 / EA / PS2, Xbox, GC, GBA, GBC, PS
8 / Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets / EA / PS2, Xbox, GC, GBA, GBC, PS
9 / Mario Party 4 / Nintendo / GC
10 / Hitman 2 / Eidos / PS2, Xbox
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2897436,00.html

Pause
11-14-2002, 01:41 PM
I wish they'd post the numbers on these damn top 10 lists. If I've learned anything by watching the Dengeki charts it's that a top ten game doesn't mean squat if number 1 only sold 12,000 copies. :shrug: Who cares really though, check the release list for all 3 consoles for the next 6 months....good times.....good times.

Havoc2049
11-14-2002, 03:50 PM
True, there are good games on all platforms for the next six months. The Dengeki charts are good to see how well games are selling in Japan, or how bad the Xbox is doing in Japan:D , and Magicbox keeps on top of the Japan numbers really well.

Pause
11-15-2002, 08:32 PM
I wish they'd post the numbers on these damn top 10 lists. If I've learned anything by watching the Dengeki charts it's that a top ten game doesn't mean squat if number 1 only sold 12,000 copies. :shrug: Who cares really though, check the release list for all 3 consoles for the next 6 months....good times.....good times.

Dubkiller
11-16-2002, 06:29 PM
You can't really blame them.The Xbox hasn't even broken 300,000 in Japan. That makes it virtually impossible to recoup the costs of releasing a game there.