PDA

View Full Version : Leguna's reviews

Leguna
10-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Gameplay: 8 out of 10
-Ok, Dead Rising has a lot going for it and a lot going against it here. What it had going against it had nothing to do with save points (plenty of those in the game), as many reviews like to push. The major problems were CHECK POINTS!!! There aren?t any!!! If you die, you start where you last saved and in a game where you are fighting against the clock, you don?t take time to go save. It would have made this game so much better if there were check points after every loading screen. Every time I died I had to play through at LEAST 10 minutes, sometimes 1 hour?s worth of gameplay to get to where I left off/died.

-Dead Rising also needed multiple save slots. Only ONE save slot, bad idea Capcom, you should known better.

-The other problem is the bosses in the game. If you don?t have a gun, you are fucked 90% of the time and you never know when you are going to run into one, SO STOCK UP ON GUNS!!! Oh and while I?m giving you advice, don?t ?save status and quit,? that resets your file to the start of the game. Saving people will get frustrating, so avoid it the first time through.

-On the good side, killing zombies has never felt so satisfying and rewarding. I found myself killing zombies when I really didn?t need to for no better reason than because I was itching to do so; I think everyone can agree with me here.

-The real time cinemas are excellent. The story is very engaging and because the whole game is in real time (1 minute = 1 hour type of thing), it give it this unique feeling that ?it?s happening.? Saving people was fun, but dying to save them was not. I felt terrible when I couldn?t save people, even though you don?t have to, to complete the game. So eventually, I quit saving people and just killed time until the end. Dead Rising was very successful with its atmosphere.

Music/Sound: 5 out of 10
-WHERE?S THE MUSIC??? This game needed WAY more music!!! The ?elevator music? throughout the game was atmospheric and all (in the few places where it was), but a real soundtrack would have been far better. This hurt Dead Rising more than anything else.

-The voice acting is excellent. Some of the best out there! I really got into the characters and Frank West?s voice couldn?t have been better. Good job on the casting Capcom!!!

Visuals: 9 out of 10
-Wow! That?s a lot of zombies on screen at once! And on top of that they all have physics for when a car runs them over or a zombie falls on another, like a domino effect. You?ll see the power of next-gen in this game; it?s a makes great use of the 360?s power. The textures are ultra detailed, the models and tit physics are good and the blood is very well done. Dead Rising is one of the few games on 360 to actually feel like a next-gen game. The motion blur they put in adds sooo much! Kudos to Capcom for the subtle motion blur.

-Dead Rising has the BEST motion capture animation in a game I?ve seen yet. The motion capture acting is sooo good; everything from the subtle nods the head to a little twitch in the hand.

-The reason for a 9 and not a perfect 10 is there really isn?t anything in this game to blow your mind graphically other than the number of enemies. There really aren?t any outstanding special effects either. If it weren?t for the number of enemies and the high-res textures, it would look like an XBOX game.

FINAL JUDGMENT: 7.3 out of 10
-This is not a killer app. This is not game of the year material. It?s arguable if it?s even worth buying. But it?s a noble effort compared to most 360 games. This game really couldn?t be done on current-gen and it?s nice to see that. The gameplay is pretty unique but it suffers from lack of music and check points. Music and can SOOO much to a game?s experience just as it could add so much to movie.

WANT TO ARGUE OR CHALLENGE MY REVIEW? I'll RESPOND TO ALL REPLIES TO THIS REVIEW AT **link removed**

PROFESSIONAL REVIEW AVERAGE: 83% POSITIVE
GameSpy: 4.5 out of 5 POSITIVE
IGN: 8.3 out of 10 POSITIVE
GameSpot: 8.4 out of 10 POSITIVE
GamePro: 4 out of 5 POSITIVE
Official Xbox Magazine: 8.5 out of 10 POSITIVE
Electronic Gaming Monthly: 7.5 out of 10 NEGATIVE
Game Informer: 9.25 out of 10 POSITIVE
UnderGroundOnline: A- POSITIVE
TeamXBOX: 8.7 out of 10 POSITIVE
Games Radar: 8 out of 10 POSITIVE
Gaming Age: A- POSITIVE
Game Trailers: 7.8 NEGATIVE

Joe Redifer
10-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Hmmmm delete or not delete? If it is to stay, then someone needs to give me an awesomely convincing argument for it. You have 8 hours... or so.

Paper exe
10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Don't embarrass the guy Joe, have some mercy. You could PM him. There is no reason to make it public and embarrass him in front of the world.

Alexander
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Hmmmm delete or not delete? If it is to stay, then someone needs to give me an awesomely convincing argument for it. You have 8 hours... or so.
You never closed my single-game review threads. I see no problem with it, anyway. The name of the board is Game Reviews...and that's exactly what he did.

Eh. No reason to delete it. If anything, just change it to ____'s reviews.

Leguna
10-04-2006, 12:40 AM

I'm confused, please explain.

Joe Redifer
10-04-2006, 03:32 AM
Well, it was basically a post linking to another forum (I removed the link) so it is bordering on SPAM.

WANT TO ARGUE OR CHALLENGE MY REVIEW? I'll RESPOND TO ALL REPLIES TO THIS REVIEW AT **link removed**

A legitimate review thread would allow responses to be made here instead of some other lame forum.

Paper, you annoy me. I want to ban you just for fun.

justin_credible
10-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Paper, you annoy me. I want to ban you just for fun.

Agreed Paper's lost it. He's been hanging around Americans too much! (on these forums)

Paper exe
10-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Lost what!? I wouldn't hang out with some crazy alcoholic or some wacko guy with disgusting tattoo or perverts or stupid people who thinks that being a moron (evil) is cool.

BlindMaphisto
10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
I want the next dead rising game to be a Zombie invasion simulator. You build a strong hold and design a plan and weather the storm and get scored.

Pikachief
10-04-2006, 06:09 PM
why are some people saying there is cusing in this game and some saying there isn't!!???

someone tell me the truth!!!

Joe Redifer
10-04-2006, 08:31 PM
There is. Maybe some of the other people have their Xbox360's set to "mommy mode" or something.

Pikachief
10-05-2006, 05:01 PM
awww... and i REALLY want this game..... mabey i can just set it to mute..... but without blood gushing sound effects it just isn't that good. :(

George Foreman
10-05-2006, 10:26 PM
There is cussing but it's not over the top like in Prey and probably how Gears of War will be. And mostly it's just people saying "Damn", and "Hell". I can't remember anyone besides Frank(on rare occations) cussing thogh.

Alexander
10-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Sometimes if you fall from a high distance or Frank is really hurt, he'll yell

SHIT!

Pikachief
10-06-2006, 02:15 AM
o ok! well my dad is getting Gears of War and the 360 is STUCK IN MY ROOM FOREVER!!!! so i'll just lower the voices when i play :D

and if its only lower class cussing then i can get it :D

Leguna
10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
http://www.albertojaviercrespo.com/images/mgs3.jpg

Gameplay: 6 out of 10
Two things have happened recently that had me lose a LOT of respect for Hideo Kojima; 1. He doesn?t think videogames is art, 2. MGS3?s gameplay design. I?m actually thoroughly worried about MGS4 after replaying MGS3. MGS3?s gameplay design is really bad and a fine example of what NOT to do in games.

Let?s start with the stamina meter. How did Hideo think that it would be fun to stop what ever you are doing in the game to feed Snake??? I mean, how annoying is it to have to pause the game, select ?food? from your menu and then select a food item and maybe more than once because food rots to keep Snake?s stamina meter high? VERY ANNOYING!!! There?s no skill involved here, just random selecting of food you have captured to feed snake.

Now for ?cure,? once again, how did Hideo think that it would be fun to have to mindlessly select a BUNCH of cure items to not actually increase your health but to allow yourself to heal faster??? STUPID IDEA!!! And it really gets in the way of just playing the game and having fun PLAYING and not selecting **** from menus. Sure it?s more realistic, but I don?t buy games to their realism (unless the realism adds to the fun and in this case it definitely doesn?t). I buy them because they are FUN to play.

Oh and now for ?camouflage?. Hideo turned MGS into a menu driven game! What?s up with all this menu selecting **** during battle???? It so fucking slow! I mean, if only the camo were something you could cycle through on the fly, while playing, but no, instead you once again have to PAUSE the game, select ?camouflage? and then select the camo you want and you have to do this for every new environment you are on. I lost my patience doing this over and over.

Splinter Cell had better gameplay than MGS3. So why a 6 and not a 2? That?s because MGS3 had and amazing story. And while there?s a lot to complain about, there is some good to the gameplay like the unique boss fights and the use of some tactics to using your weapons.

One last thing, try holding using a soldier as a human shield and then try releasing your gun with out firing to return to holding the knife to the soldier?s neck?Hideo, why??? The controls to do that are unforgivably retarded to do.
Music/Sound: 10 out of 10
This is definitely what keeps this game alive. The soundtrack to MGS3 is one of the best soundtracks in ALL OF VIDEOGAME HISTORY!!! The voice acting, while very good, wasn?t lip synced. But that?s to be expected since few companies are will to put the budget in to re-lip sync the dialogue in cinemas.
Visuals: 10 out of 10.
The visuals in MGS3 are some of the best PS2 will EVER see. There isn?t a game with as much forest detail as this game has on the Playstation 2. This game is pushing PS2 to its limit with great use of PS2 shaders and effects and real-time cinematics that are equal to any GREAT, Hollywood action film. This is where Kojima Productions shines most, graphics.
FINAL JUDGMENT: 8.7 out of 10
It?s a shame; MGS3 marks the first strike of the MGS series. MGS was mind-blowing, MGS2 was even more mind-blowing, and MGS3 nearly sucked. MGS3 was very lucky that it came out when it did, because a couple of months later RE4 came out and it put the smack down on ALL VIDEOGAMES! ?Damn RE4 is SOOO much better,? that?s what I said after I was done with RE4. MGS3 just had too much menu selecting and poor controls here and there. This game deserved a 5, but because the music and visuals were SOOO good, it really picks up the slack like nothing I?ve ever seen before.

http://www.gamingescape.com

Diavle
10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
The amount of stuff you carry affects your stamina bar which is why you have the option to select specific items and put the rest away.

I usually just equip the tranquilizer gun and that is all, even if I have the other gun equipped it doesn't make much of a difference. The stamina goes slow as hell unless there is a need to swim.

Oh and you compared MGS to RE, fission mailed.

Kiryu1985
10-10-2006, 01:26 PM
OK review, I guess... for a 4 year old

Here are my opinions:

Splinter Cell had better gameplay than MGS3. So why a 6 and not a 2? That?s because MGS3 had and amazing story. And while there?s a lot to complain about, there is some good to the gameplay like the unique boss fights and the use of some tactics to using your weapons.

- Splinter Cell Chao theory... the A.I is stupider than ever, you kill all the guys in the level, and you can run around every security camera and detectors, and nothing will spawn, all you hear is the intruder alert sound yelled by some foreigner.

- Splinter Cell Chao theory, the A.I is pretty blind, yeah I know its dark and all, but the fact that you can run around a guy and they will do nothing is quite stupid.

- You can't shoot the camera's, only disable them for a few seconds, which is stupid, since you can shoot the camera full of lead for five minutes straight and nothing will happen.

Metal Gear's Multiplayer is way better, the crappy 'Co-op" missions, WTF? Can we say overhyped crap? They last for like 1 minute each, its like the tenchu 3 co-op all over again.

Seraph
10-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Leguna make your own review thread so that you dont flood this section with a billion game reviews. er I think mods can actually merge them together.

oh, and you made mistake #1 on this board, you gave a bad opinion about a MGS game. NEVER do that on this board, its a religion around here and you are almost certian to be flamed then shot.

still its nice to read a review of this game thats not "OMG BIG BOSS, OMG THE STORY, OMG DID U SEE THAT SCENE IT SAID KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS ON IT!!". One of these days I'll see if this game picked up the slack from MGS2 or not. when i get a working PC that is..... :crying:

Joe Redifer
10-10-2006, 03:28 PM
MERGED! Leguna, I don't mind if you post reviews, but it seems that you are just trying to advertise for that forum you link to.

Leguna
10-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Joe Redifer:
I'm playing fair, i'm replying here as well, but is there anything wrong with siting sources?

Kiryu1985:
Don't get me wrong, i hate every Splinter Cell after Splinter Cell one. But I wish MGS3 had Splinter Cell one gameplay with MGS3 graphics, music and story. Both multiplayer modes in Splinter Cell and MGS3 suck.

Diavle:
No 2 videogames are exactly alike and while most people will tell me that MGS3 is a stealth game, I found myself playing it more like an all out action game and RE4 in relative terms, is an action game that's similar. And besides, i'm comparing the 2 games as VIDEOGAMES not as 2 of the same genre. My point was that RE4 is just a better videogame than MGS3, that's all.

Nindalf
10-10-2006, 04:11 PM
since i assume you're writing these reviews yourself, wouldn't that make you the source, not some forum you also post them in?

Chronos
10-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I stopped after

"[Hideo Kojima] doesn?t think videogames is art"

Cool MG pic.

Joe Redifer
10-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Maybe the source link should be to his profile?

Diavle
10-10-2006, 04:49 PM
oh, and you made mistake #1 on this board, you gave a bad opinion about a MGS game. NEVER do that on this board, its a religion around here and you are almost certian to be flamed then shot.

You're still alive and kicking.

s are exactly alike and while most people will tell me that MGS3 is a stealth game, I found myself playing it more like an all out action game and RE4 in relative terms, is an action game that's similar. And besides, i'm comparing the 2 games as VIDEOGAMES not as 2 of the same genre. My point was that RE4 is just a better videogame than MGS3, that's all.

And there lies your mistake, MGS is supposed to be played as a stealth game. Play European Extreme to fully appreciate the game. There are so many ways to handle each area its not even funny.

You took the easy half-assed way out, sucks to be you.

Nindalf
10-10-2006, 04:56 PM
the "easy half-assed way" is the only way the game is even remotely enjoyable.

diunx
10-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Leguna make your own review thread so that you dont flood this section with a billion game reviews. er I think mods can actually merge them together.

still its nice to read a review of this game thats not "OMG BIG BOSS, OMG THE STORY, OMG DID U SEE THAT SCENE IT SAID KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS ON IT!!". One of these days I'll see if this game picked up the slack from MGS2 or not. when i get a working PC that is..... :crying:

why do you hate my religion :(

And there lies your mistake, MGS is supposed to be played as a stealth game. Play European Extreme to fully appreciate the game. There are so many ways to handle each area its not even funny.

You took the easy half-assed way out, sucks to be you.

I 100% agree with you there, I have 3 different ways to get through the wooden bridge at the beginning:
1-shoot the guards with the sniper rifle
2-shoot the bee hives
3-blast my way acroos the bridge

Seraph
10-11-2006, 02:29 AM
You're still alive and kicking.yeah barley

George Foreman
10-13-2006, 01:38 AM
I honestly thought the exact opposite. The game was really fun(I used a combination of stealth and run and gun) and the music was pretty good however, I thought the story was kinda dull till towards the end. I fell asleep in the opening sequence(although it was my second time through) and again during that scene at the waterfall.