PDA

View Full Version : Square remakes

Alucard
04-30-2002, 11:42 PM
I'm usually all for remakes if they are of good games. Like say...if Sega did a remake of Shining Force 3 from the Saturn, I'd turn into a drooling wreck.
I'm very excited over this news about a Chrono Trigger remake. I haven't played that game in forever that I'd really like to get my hands on a remake of the best Square game ever made. We could skip Parasite Eve really.

Anyway, I'm going to jump and say alot of these remakes could be multiplatform or perhaps not for the PS2 at all. Those FF spin offs that were mentioned. Some could most likely be for the Gamecube. Hope they get around to doing the FF7 remake. I want it. 8 and 9 can go away into a dark corner for all I care. Hope they mention more at E3.

Pikachu
05-01-2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
I'm usually all for remakes if they are of good games. Like say...if Sega did a remake of Shining Force 3 from the Saturn, I'd turn into a drooling wreck.
I'm very excited over this news about a Chrono Trigger remake. I haven't played that game in forever that I'd really like to get my hands on a remake of the best Square game ever made. We could skip Parasite Eve really.

Parasite Eve is a very nice RPG, although a bit shot, but it is the first survival horror RPG of its kind.

typexig
05-01-2002, 02:25 AM
when i they said a game based on a certain ff character, i hope they do it on Cloud and Squall. maybe even Jecht or Auron from FFX..=)

-Xig-

Alucard
05-01-2002, 02:32 AM
It's most definately Tidus. They are always commenting on a sequel. So this will be one of the FF spin-offs they talk about.

typexig
05-01-2002, 02:49 AM
yeah, it'll be nice to see ChronoTrigger with the graphics of Xenosaga..did they mention anything about a sequal to Einhander? cuz that game is tight!! i think if square makes a sequal for Einhander, it'll sell like crazy..=)

-Xig-

Black Sugar
05-01-2002, 11:09 AM
FF remake...!?..definitly FFVII!!! this was the best 3D Final Fantasy game (FFVIII and FFIX doesn't come even close) in my personal opinion.

Badboon
05-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Hope they get around to doing the FF7 remake. I want it. 8 and 9 can go away into a dark corner for all I care. Hope they mention more at E3.

I agree! I love Final Fantasy 7 (it's my favourite of the "recent" Final Fantasy games) and would love to be able to play it on a Nintendo made console (since I'm not a big Playstation fan and no longer own the game for the PC).
As for your opinions on FF8 and FF9, I share your opinion on FF8, but I don't think FF9 deserves to be banished to a dark and lonely corner.
Could you possibly be so heartless and mean as to banish poor little ViVi to a dark and miserable existence in the lonely corner?

Black Sugar
05-01-2002, 01:11 PM
well, FFIX isn't a bad game.

But i feel (and surely most FF fan) that Square Soft made this game only so that FF fan could shut the hell up (including me) after the futurisc FFVIII.

Then again, putting dragons, a medieval theme, cute SD characters and VIVI doesn't mean a instant hit!

Don't make games because u feellike you must Square!!! Create a game because you got a good story to tell !!!!

Wolf
05-01-2002, 03:03 PM
Where is this talk of a CHrono Trigger remake coming from? Is it just wishful thinking, a possible GBA port or has Square announced something concrete?

Badboon
05-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Wolf
Where is this talk of a CHrono Trigger remake coming from? Is it just wishful thinking, a possible GBA port or has Square announced something concrete?

Read the gaming news section at MagicBox to hear all about it.
Yes, people, MagicBox is more than just a forum.:D

Badboon
05-01-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Zack
Having Final Fantasy VI in FFX, or better, graphics would be amazing.

Heck, having ANY older Final Fantasy game done in Final Fantasy X graphics--or better--would be amazing.
Then again, I'm not particularly fond of the "realistic" character graphics found in Final Fantasies 8 and 10.:D

Pinoy Snake
05-01-2002, 07:15 PM
Having reamkes of FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, would be awesone and we may see some new things added on the remakes. I never had the chance to try out Chrono Trigger, but if there is going to be a remake of it to PS2, I'll be hoping the graphics and sound will be good as Xenosaga.

gabriel
05-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Bah, these days Square = Hollywood of videogames.

Poor bastards are so desperate for money, they're really milking the FF name for all they can. Not that this is anything new, but their focus on remakes and FF spinoffs doesnt excite me at all, quite the opposite actually.

I wish people werent so stupid that Square needs to slap the FF name on everything they make....

* is very disappointed in the current Square *

Wolf
05-01-2002, 10:08 PM
I think you guys are jumping to conclusions. Square is technically "remaking" FF Tactics for the GBA. I think thats what they mean about CT too. I hope not but why would Square spend resources on reworking a 7 year old game when they could port it over to the GBA and get the same amount of profit?

typexig
05-02-2002, 12:39 AM
what about a remake for Einhender guys?..=)

-Xig-

Pikachu
05-02-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by gabriel

Poor bastards are so desperate for money, they're really milking the FF name for all they can. Not that this is anything new, but their focus on remakes and FF spinoffs doesnt excite me at all, quite the opposite actually.

I wish people werent so stupid that Square needs to slap the FF name on everything they make....

Have you ever heard of Dragon Quest / Warrior from Enix? Tey are putting the DQ / DW label on a lot of their game titles, even the games are not very playable (like Dragon Warrior Monsters), they still sell like crazy in Japan.

Phie
05-02-2002, 01:17 PM
I'm definitely up for a FFVII remake. That would be awesome, especially if Cloud's designed in the same way he is in Kingdom Hearts. I love that demon-type Cloud, so... cool :)
Don't think I would say no to a new FFVI, even though they've done that already (kinda). Would be so yummy.

ATMA
05-02-2002, 01:40 PM
A remake of FF1 to FF5 would be fine ...since alot of people missed those series !!! ..But just by the tought of seeing knights of the round with the FFX style engine ..or GRASHARABORAS (DOOMTRAIN ). brrrrrrrrr ..WOW!! ...Well time will tell !!!:D

Bookbagninja
05-03-2002, 01:12 AM
Wish Square would concentrate on NEW games and not remakes, but if they're gonna do a remake (A DECENT remake) I would want them to remake Chrono Trigger and give it the look of FF IX. I think that was the best FF game on the PS. If they would do that, and redo the music, with a mix of fully orcastraded and the Brink Of Time soundtrack, I'll be one happy camper, and Square can go ahead and make all the remakes they want.

Pikachu
05-05-2002, 12:14 AM
I doubt Square would remake a game like this, Capcom's Resident Evil is a good example, it has gorgerous graphics, but the sale of the game is so bad that it wasted the efforts of remaking a game. Square wants to make money, not losing money these days you know.

ATMA
05-05-2002, 11:57 AM
Yes in the japa land the RE didn't sell well
but i'm sure in the states and europe things will go different !!! I'm sure there are alot of die hard fans out there that can't wait for the RE launch !!! And for square i can understand why they don't wanna make a remake!! Look at FFX INT
in the japa land it didn't do very well but again i think if they bring FFX INT out in the states
they sure will sell alot more than in the japa land !!..(europe will get the FFX INT so in europe it's logical it will sell verry good )
But like you say Square want to make money and not loose money !!!Time will tell !!
PS:((OFF TOPIC)) I had a picture ((i'm gonna look for it cause it's something ya'll want to see)).
on the pic you saw ALEXANDER with the same engine used for FFX (a few months ago i thought maybe they put ALEX in FFX INT but now i know they didn't) So that leave only a few options left
Either it's ALEX from FFVII or FVIII (It looked more like the one in FFVIII)..Or it's fake ..but i doubt it cause it look so uhm squaresoft kind of thing!!!And square said they were doing the remakes but do to financial problems they stoped the projects ..but anyway !!! I hope i can find that picture !!!!

Overlord
05-05-2002, 03:32 PM
I had a picture ((i'm gonna look for it cause it's something ya'll want to see)).
on the pic you saw ALEXANDER with the same engine used for FFX

They also made a movie about the dance between Rinoa and Squall in real time on the PS2. They wanted to show that the movies from FFVIII can be done in real time. But personally, I think FFX looked a little better.

...They might have also tried it with other stuff, like the Alexander picture.

ATMA
05-06-2002, 04:13 AM
Well what you just said is a good explonation indeed!!But this picture is soooooo like FFX that's why i said i thought maybe they've put it in FFX INT !!!Well time will tell ..I hope it's a pic of the remake of FFVIII ...But lets not get all excited it's to early to start the party !!!
:D

Seska
05-06-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by gabriel

I agree with you. While I do hope they will bring out the Odd Jewel like FFT, Vagrant Story, Xenosaga or FM3, most of the stuff Square brings out is based on the same formula, because it sells well. BAck in the time of the SNES, that very same formula felt new and fresh, but since then a decade has passed and that fresh and new formula has become very mainstream.

Still, it sells, and consideing the huge commercial flop the FF movie was, Square needs cash, so they will continue churning out the formulaic stuff people love to buy.

And now, especially with the FM3 and Xenosaga team having left Square to work for other companies, there is little hope for originality and tragedy in their storylines.

MAybe in a few eyars, who knows? In the meantime theres other companies. Square isnt the only one to make RPG's, thank god.

folken001
05-11-2002, 02:38 PM

Anyway, I'm going to jump and say alot of these remakes could be multiplatform or perhaps not for the PS2 at all. Those FF spin offs that were mentioned. Some could most likely be for the Gamecube. Hope they get around to doing the FF7 remake. I want it. 8 and 9 can go away into a dark corner for all I care. Hope they mention more at E3.

Yea, remake of FF series would wet my pants in split of microsecond.

Square better bring back aerith alive in FF7 and give a definite ending to the love triangle between tiffa, cloud, and aerith.

FF8's weapon upgrade and magic system have got to go. I wonder how Square is going to remake the infamous dancing sequence between Squall and Rinoa. I can't wait.

I wish they could get rid of the monkey boy in FF9. I am fine with all the characters in FF9 except him. Hopefully, Square would add more twists into the game. Origianlly, I found FF9 a bit boring and its story was mediocre at best.

I also hope Square would remake Xenogear. It is one of best Rpgs I have ever played. They need to make this game longer. On PSX, on xenogear's 2nd disc, it was all reading. Instead of reading, I hope Square can let us playing through it instead of reading throgh it.

maximtyw
05-11-2002, 10:32 PM
everone said that the FFVII is the best games in that series. do someone play the FFVI?? i think FFVI is the best in the FFseries.
So i relly wish that they will do a remake for the FFVI.

for the MANa series.. definately the sercet of mana 2...

hootie17
05-11-2002, 11:26 PM
i would liek to see remakes of ff7 and 9 because i think im one of the few people who really enjoyed 9

hgblob
05-12-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by folken001

Square better bring back aerith alive in FF7 and give a definite ending to the love triangle between tiffa, cloud, and aerith.

They did resolve the love triangle: Aeris is dead.

And I personally hope that they don't bring Aeris back in ANY version of FF7. She died for a reason. Bringing her back to life would just make her sacrifice seem cheap, IMO.

folken001
05-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by hgblob

They did resolve the love triangle: Aeris is dead.

And I personally hope that they don't bring Aeris back in ANY version of FF7. She died for a reason. Bringing her back to life would just make her sacrifice seem cheap, IMO.

Well, I don't know if you remember this or not. There was articles about hwo Square rushed the game and pushed FF7 out before it was complete finished. Aerith was supposed to be brought back alive later in the game. There were 3 components in FF7 that were the keys but Square took the most important item of aerith's revival away. So that is why to revive aerith was impossible.

I hope Square would take the time to complete it and so we can play FF7 the way it was meant to be.

hgblob
05-12-2002, 07:55 PM

Well, I don't know if you remember this or not. There was articles about hwo Square rushed the game and pushed FF7 out before it was complete finished. Aerith was supposed to be brought back alive later in the game. There were 3 components in FF7 that were the keys but Square took the most important item of aerith's revival away. So that is why to revive aerith was impossible.

I hope Square would take the time to complete it and so we can play FF7 the way it was meant to be.

True, those three components were not in the original version of FF7. However, they were included in the US version, and FF7 International, that were released later. Guess what? All three components had nothing to do with any resurrections at all.

folken001
05-13-2002, 12:05 PM

True, those three components were not in the original version of FF7. However, they were included in the US version, and FF7 International, that were released later. Guess what? All three components had nothing to do with any resurrections at all.

At least from what I read, they could. It was about how you could go back to the city or something like that. Regardless of whether they have anything to do with aerith or not. It was weird of how Aerith was designed to have all her limited breaks and yet it was almost impossible to have them at the point of time where she dies. I don't see any bad thing can happen from her revival. Hopefully Square will make sure she comes back this time in the new FF7 remake.

hgblob
05-13-2002, 08:22 PM

At least from what I read, they could. It was about how you could go back to the city or something like that. Regardless of whether they have anything to do with aerith or not. It was weird of how Aerith was designed to have all her limited breaks and yet it was almost impossible to have them at the point of time where she dies. I don't see any bad thing can happen from her revival. Hopefully Square will make sure she comes back this time in the new FF7 remake.

Ah, you mean THAT article. That infamous piece that spawned all those months of "Aeris can be revived!" infestations in the Final Fantasy newsgroup :) Did you know that the guy who wrote it eventually admitted that it was a hoax?

As for the second bit, remember that Bugenhagen warned the group that using the white materia would exact a terrible price -- with the implied meaning that it would cost the spellcaster his/her life in exchange for Holy. So, Aeris' death was essentially in exchange for Holy's summoning. Whether Holy was succesful or not in turning Meteor away was beside the point; Holy was summoned. Also, Aeris' death gave the other characters the impetus needed to pull themselves together and confront Sephiroth and Jenova in the final half of the game.
So, imagine what would happen (storywise) if Aeris were brought back to life. The way I see it, it cheapens the story. It makes a mockery of the difficulties the characters had to overcome in order to face up to Sephiroth.
Storywise, it can also mean that the balance involed in Holy's summoning is thrown out. (It's like paying for a car, then on the very day you get the vehicle, you go and steal the money back.)

And it is possible to gain Aeris' final Limit Break before she dies.

folken001
05-13-2002, 10:42 PM

Ah, you mean THAT article. That infamous piece that spawned all those months of "Aeris can be revived!" infestations in the Final Fantasy newsgroup :) Did you know that the guy who wrote it eventually admitted that it was a hoax?

As for the second bit, remember that Bugenhagen warned the group that using the white materia would exact a terrible price -- with the implied meaning that it would cost the spellcaster his/her life in exchange for Holy. So, Aeris' death was essentially in exchange for Holy's summoning. Whether Holy was succesful or not in turning Meteor away was beside the point; Holy was summoned. Also, Aeris' death gave the other characters the impetus needed to pull themselves together and confront Sephiroth and Jenova in the final half of the game.
So, imagine what would happen (storywise) if Aeris were brought back to life. The way I see it, it cheapens the story. It makes a mockery of the difficulties the characters had to overcome in order to face up to Sephiroth.
Storywise, it can also mean that the balance involed in Holy's summoning is thrown out. (It's like paying for a car, then on the very day you get the vehicle, you go and steal the money back.)

And it is possible to gain Aeris' final Limit Break before she dies.

I didn't know it was a hoax. Sorry for the mistake.

How many times have we seen people who are supposed to be dead and come back later in anime or videogame? It is no biggie if Square twist the story and bring her back to life. I dont' think anyone would mind that. I don't think it make the game cheap by bring aerith back to life. Personally, I find story about Sephiroth a bit cheap as well.

It is possible to gain Aeris' final limit break only if you put in large amount of time into it. But why would anyone do that? I dont' think Square make it so people would level up for hours mindlessly just to see her last break.

hgblob
05-14-2002, 05:25 AM

I didn't know it was a hoax. Sorry for the mistake.

How many times have we seen people who are supposed to be dead and come back later in anime or videogame? It is no biggie if Square twist the story and bring her back to life. I dont' think anyone would mind that. I don't think it make the game cheap by bring aerith back to life. Personally, I find story about Sephiroth a bit cheap as well.

It is possible to gain Aeris' final limit break only if you put in large amount of time into it. But why would anyone do that? I dont' think Square make it so people would level up for hours mindlessly just to see her last break.

Eh, no biggie.

I was at the newsgroups when the first resurrection posts started up, and believe me when I say that I've had more than enough of them.

If Square resurrects Aeris, it'd be revisionist history. It'd be like Spielberg replacing cops' guns with walkie-talkies in ET. Like Greedo shooting first in the SW remakes. Like...

Well, you get the general idea :)