PDA

View Full Version : More XBox slander. But not from me!

Alucard
04-30-2002, 11:23 AM
I saw this over at madmans cafe and the link to it. Pretty weird since I never actually noticed Midway never released games in Japan, or at least not under their name or some such.. Seems XBox name before it came out was 'Project Midway'. Heres a paragraph from the article..

"Any of the insidery stuff they just really didn't want to get out," he said. "The fact that the initial code name was Project Midway -- they don't want the Japanese people to know that because it will hurt their feelings." The Battle of Midway in 1942 was the turning point of the Pacific War. Before the November 2001 launch of the Xbox, all of the players in the console hardware market -- Sony, Nintendo and Sega -- were Japanese firms.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/25/opening_the_xbox/index.html?x

O another note, it seems Halo reached 6th best seller in Japan. They may actually like FPS games and we never knew.

folken001
04-30-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
I saw this over at madmans cafe and the link to it. Pretty weird since I never actually noticed Midway never released games in Japan, or at least not under their name or some such.. Seems XBox name before it came out was 'Project Midway'. Heres a paragraph from the article..

"Any of the insidery stuff they just really didn't want to get out," he said. "The fact that the initial code name was Project Midway -- they don't want the Japanese people to know that because it will hurt their feelings." The Battle of Midway in 1942 was the turning point of the Pacific War. Before the November 2001 launch of the Xbox, all of the players in the console hardware market -- Sony, Nintendo and Sega -- were Japanese firms.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/25/opening_the_xbox/index.html?x

O another note, it seems Halo reached 6th best seller in Japan. They may actually like FPS games and we never knew.

Well, when did Halo come out in Japan? DOA3 was #1 for like a week when it came out.

Dog
04-30-2002, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if this rumour originated from SONY - I mean c'mon how many japanese teenagers are gonna be pissed about what happened in the second world war? Let alone even see the connection between Midway and the Battle of Midway 1942. Gimmie a break.

Alucard
05-01-2002, 12:22 AM
True. Thats usually how westerners think. But I doubt its from Sony. All the bad press that comes out for XBox can't be a pointed finger at Sony or someone else. ITs not their style. They dont need to make rumours. They're on top, remember?

Havoc2049
05-01-2002, 04:37 PM
True. Thats usually how westerners think. But I doubt its from Sony. All the bad press that comes out for XBox can't be a pointed finger at Sony or someone else. ITs not their style. They dont need to make rumours. They're on top, remember?

I hope you are being sarcastic. Sony isn't the "Mr. Nice Guy" you think they are. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all play hardball. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have all been sued at one time or another for unfair business practices. They all do it to keep the competition down and stay on top.

As far as the Sony starting rumors about the Xbox go, there has to be some truth about some of them. I do think that Sony had a part to play in starting the untrue rumors that Xbox?s scratched DVD?s in Japan. When it was all said and done, only about 1% of all Xbox?s sold in Japan were returned. Yet it made the news and Xbox?s were pulled off the shelves for a couple of days. Sony had and still has problems with their crappy DVD players for the PS2 and yet they were never pulled off the shelves. How many movies won?t the PS2 play? I know it is quite a large number. A friend of mine just had his PS2 repaired by Sony because the DVD player kept skipping and freezing up. Let?s just face it, the Japanese are xenophobic. Not that being xenophobic is such a terrible thing, that is just the way it is. It just means that Microsoft is going to have to try extra hard and spend mega bucks if it wants to succeed in Japan.

Todd

Alucard
05-01-2002, 10:48 PM
I think you confuse me for a Sony fan. I'm far from it. I'm Konami's whore and noone elses. And I really dont think Sony are the ones to point to over the rumour. It's pretty much a fact. Were it a total lie, dont you think Microsoft would be in courts with these people <they're favourite practice I might add>, to stomp these rumours from the people who wrote them for tarnishing their image? I bet you they would be. But they are not.
I dont know about that 1% of XBox thing. Would have been a bit more since it went on for a few weeks and BIG NAME STORES started pulling the units off the shelves because of too many people trying to demand their money back or whatever, and stores in Japan do NOT like to look bad. Major retail stores I'll repeat. Untill M$ acknowledged the problem.
At least they did something. Unlike bloody Sony who deny everything cause they know millions of sheep will happily keep buying the console.

Sardaukar
05-02-2002, 04:53 AM
What a load of CRAP! It was called Project Midway because the machine was supposed to be a midway between console and PC.This is not a big secret,xbox.com had this info posted since loong before Nov.15.

Alucard
05-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Secret or not, it seems alot of people didn't know. But the point is it was probably a poor choice name when you think about it.
On other news XBox sales in Australia rose by 40% after the price cuts. Good move. Same thing could happen in Europe with their cuts aswell.

piyo
05-02-2002, 11:06 PM
Wow I didn't know Midway never released games under their own name in Japan. I'm going to have to ask my old high school acquaintance who works for Midway about that.

As for "Project Midway", the connotation is World War II, not "midway between console and PC". Even Bill Gates wanted to call the project "Hiroshima." Pretty insensitive if you ask me. How 'bout "Project Normandy", USians storming a foreign country (France) to restore order? Okay that doesn't make sense and it's pretty insensitive too.

Oh, another WWII-related item recently was the release of Pearl Harbor movie in Japan. It was pretty popular here, even though there were some protesters. The DVDs are selling here too. It must be that Ben Affleck or whoever.

Japanese teenagers get mad about WWII? No way, not much of required reading for high schoolers has details of WWII. Heck I have a 23 year old co-worker who doesn't know why China gets mad every time the Prime Minister goes to Yasukuni Shrine (where Japan celebrates the spirits of the WWII war dead). Which is just as well. Japan is consumerism to the extreme, a now-faltering capital imperialist in deep recession, although you can't tell that from the blistering speed games are being developed.

Speaking of the games... ^_^; I wouldn't worry too much about XBox in Japan, since Sega is on their side. Did you see the Magic Box page today? Sega is making the Xbox virtually their "Dreamcast 2" with all of the planned games. Panzer Dragoon?!?!? I remember being a Nintendo f4nb0i and wanting so bad to play this game back in the 90's. Most of the Sega XBox games aren't exclusives but hey, at least they're there. Sega seems to have no fears developing for XBox. It's likely that because of the experience of developing PC games, they can make/port games faster on the XBox.

And Halo (XB) was just released in Japan (4/25), I can believe it came in 6th. I played it at the demo unit for like 2 hours. It was awesome, just like Gun Valkyrie (XB). I'm feeling more and more inclined to getting a XBox. I'm just waiting for a price cut. ;)

And yes, Japan likes FPS, but maybe just on PCs. I have no idea if GoldenEye (N64), the often-lauded best console FPS, did any good here, however.

---
piyo double checks triple checks the errors in the history facts.

hgblob
05-03-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Dog
I wouldn't be suprised if this rumour originated from SONY - I mean c'mon how many japanese teenagers are gonna be pissed about what happened in the second world war? Let alone even see the connection between Midway and the Battle of Midway 1942. Gimmie a break.

It's not from Sony, and it's not even a rumour. It was a small section quoted from the book "Opening the Xbox: Inside Microsoft's Plan to Unleash an Entertainment Revolution." The book was written by Dean Takahashi, a former reporter for the Wall Street Journal, basically telling the story of the Xbox from its conception to its release. According to the article Alucard pointed us to, Takahashi's sources for the book are legit -- MS themselves, no less.

junker
05-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Sardaukar
What a load of CRAP! It was called Project Midway because the machine was supposed to be a midway between console and PC.This is not a big secret,xbox.com had this info posted since loong before Nov.15.

Boy you sure know your history don't you? Heh, for someone who apparently has a bias against the Japanese, you sure are stupid. Well I guess it's no surprise, seeing as how your kind aren't the brightest group to start with.

Here's a quick American history lesson for ya. During the midpoint of WWII, the Japanese forces were planning to conquer the Midway islands. Fearing that this may lead disasters for the Allies forces, General MacAuthor conceived a plan to strike the Japanese before they reach Midway. This battle latter proved to be the turning point for the American forces, because up to this point, Japanese seem unstoppable. Needless to say though, the American forces won that battle and this was also the moral victory that would soon lead to the defeat of the Japanese.

Anyone with half a knowledge about history can piece together that the Xbox's codename was intention called Project Midway as a deriding comparison to defeat the Japanese in the console market. It's a what you may refer to as an analogy. Get a glue before ramble, idiot.

Seska
05-09-2002, 05:25 AM
Take in mind that your mor prolific gamer target in Japan isn't teenagers. It WAS teenagers a decade ago, now those teenagers have jobs and an income, and are between 20 and 35. Those who buy the consoles are those with an income, those with a good enough knowledge of history to be offended at the name "Project Midway".

But hey, what gives anyway - maybe they should have codenamed it "Project Vietnam", considering how well its doing in Japan right now. :p

Bookbagninja
05-24-2002, 04:12 PM

If anyone makes re-marks, it was always Nintendo and Sega. I think Sony all along was just trying to make hot games for the consumer. Sega is working with M$, so that means Nintendo might have said such a thing.

Yoshi
05-27-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Bookbagninja

I think Sony all along was just trying to make hot games for the consumer. You mean paying off 3rd parties to do so? Sony's 1st party games are between somewhere between dreadful or horrid.

hgblob
05-31-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Yoshi
You mean paying off 3rd parties to do so? Sony's 1st party games are between somewhere between dreadful or horrid.

Just out of curiousity, what Sony 1st party games have you played?

They (Sony) are relatively new in the games development especially when compared to Nintendo, but I've always felt that Sony made a huge variety of games. Even though they may not be very successful with the results all the time, they at least take chances.

typexig
06-01-2002, 08:45 PM
i know sony isnt as good as nintendo and sega when it comes to making a game. but theyre getting better at it, first it was gran turismo(best racing game), then there was ICO (really good game) and now theres that new one coming, i think the name of it is Mark of Kri? and i know there some other ones out there..but those are the only one i can remember right now..hehe...but like i said, they'll get better at it.. =)

-Xig-

Bookbagninja
06-01-2002, 11:39 PM
Crash can kinda be considered a Sony produced game.... though they did only publish it. I'm sure there's more, just can't think of any right now. (Sides' GT)
And Sony's been around for a while making games. They were the ones that was going to make the CD add-on for the SNES called the Playstation, but Nintendo was apparently being greedy and wanted more profits than normal, so they made their own system. But, I digress. They made a few game on the SNES, Mickey and a few others.

Havoc2049
06-02-2002, 10:58 PM
Crash can kinda be considered a Sony produced game.... though they did only publish it. I'm sure there's more, just can't think of any right now. (Sides' GT)
And Sony's been around for a while making games. They were the ones that was going to make the CD add-on for the SNES called the Playstation, but Nintendo was apparently being greedy and wanted more profits than normal, so they made their own system. But, I digress. They made a few game on the SNES, Mickey and a few others.

I wouldn't consider Crash a Sony game, Crash is on the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube these days. Sony is the weakest 1st party publisher out of the big three. The big Sony franchises these days would have to be Gran Turismo, Wipeout and Everquest. Too bad sony screwed up Psygnosis when they bought them out, Psygnosis was one of my favorite 3rd party publishers back in the day. 989 Sports is the bastard child of the sports genre these days, I think even Aklaim makes better sports games than 989 these days. Sony has been making games(or trying to, except for a few exceptions) for years. Anyone remember Sony Imagesoft back in the SNES, Genesis, Gameboy and Gamegear days? Sony Imagesoft made games for all of the above mentioned systems. The only one I remember was Hook, based on the super crappy Peter Pan movie with Robin Williams. I know there were a bunch of other "great" Sony Imagesoft games. Anyone remember some of the other forgetable titles?

Todd

hgblob
06-03-2002, 08:59 AM

There's a list of games published and developed by Sony over at http://games.ign.com/objects/025/025653.html

It's not a complete list, though -- you'd have to check out SCEI's site for that :)