PDA

View Full Version : Sega bash 3rd praties.

Slash
07-29-2006, 12:29 PM
http://wii.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=7197

SEGA Criticizes Third Parties July 21, 2006

by: Phillip Levin

The company says other companies are unimaginative when dealing with Wii.

When talking to Next-Gen.biz this week, SEGA vice president Scott Steinberg criticized third-party developers and publishers for not taking full advantage of Wii and failing to be imaginative.

Steinberg says that SEGA has been "on the Wii bandwagon from day one.? The company plans to release Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz alongside Wii?s launch and Sonic Wild Fire early in 2007. Meanwhile, other companies were slow to hop on the Wii bandwagon.

"The pundits are missing the point when it comes to the Wii's strategy - not every third party is late to the launch,? he says.

"It's true that a lot of third parties have been flat footed when it comes to having games ready for the launch window, but Sega is certainly not one of them."

Even developers onboard with Wii, though, Steinberg says are unimaginative. "Some third parties have shown a lack of imagination when dealing with this new platform. The way the Wii is being built you have to design for it. Ports and upgrades are no good. That thinking takes a little bit of creativity and not every publisher has the necessary creative people available."

While some third parties would say that it?s because of Nintendo?s back track record for dealing with third parties, Steinberg disagrees. "I can say without any hesitation that we have a great relationship with Nintendo. The American companies don't do a good enough job of wooing Nintendo.

"Sega has become a lot closer to Nintendo, which is ironic given the history of the two companies, but that proximity has given us a great view of how they wanted to get out of the polygon race and stop battling the technology companies and instead find a very comfortable position in family-friendly fun games like Super Monkey Ball."

SEGA had playable versions of both Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz and Sonic Wild Fire at E3. ?We had a Wii room for journalists and analysts and it was the best way to try playable Wii games without getting in the colossal Nintendo line,? Steinberg says. ?Those games are built purposely for Wii, That's what makes the Sega story unique - we have family-friendly games with a great Nintendo pedigree - we are one of the few companies that can say we had a great run with GameCube."

Steinberg continues: "We are all heavily influenced by the propaganda machines of the hardware companies and you could argue that Nintendo didn't kick into gear until E3 2006, when they seemed to go from zero to 60 in one day. They were being beaten up by pundits one day and lauded the next. The industry realized they had been ignoring Nintendo which was a massive error."

He thinks that some companies were too quick to compare Wii to GameCube and current-gen consoles. "If you were applying a GameCube to Xbox to PS2 ratio to Wii, then you might have ignored Wii," he says. "But Nintendo's core competency is creating games and they have a platform here that allows publishers and developers to get creative in ways that are different from the other platforms. It's a real sea change."

Steinberg believes that Nintendo could ?really close the gap in a big way? on Sony in the next-gen consoles wars. "There is a feature creep going on in the platform wars so it's refreshing to see someone do something different. It's refreshing to see someone take themselves out and operate in a different paradigm."

source: Next-Gen.b

Escaflowne2001
07-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Let's hope the rest of SEGA agrees with him and bothers doing something worthwhile...

Reality
07-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Big talk. But I seen nothing in Wildfire that be to brag about. From what I can tell, it doesn't require any special controls to operate the game.

BGM
07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
"Ports are no good" doesn't sound good for Wii in the long run!

SuperAngelo64
07-29-2006, 01:53 PM
I think someone needs to take a page from the book of Shiggy

However, I have absolutely no intention of being negative about current controllers. We are, after all, preparing a standard style controller in the form of the Classic Controller.

Multi-console and port games shouldn't be thought of as 'outlawed' entirely on the Wii.

murray
07-29-2006, 01:59 PM
its a shame sega aren't being a bit more creative themselves on other platforms i mean publishing chromehounds is just exactly suprising given the japs love of mech games but itS a terrible game.

SuperAngelo64
07-29-2006, 02:04 PM
I think Sega needs to come out of the closet with their Nintendo crush and just become 2nd party already.

thesoftware6180
07-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah it sounds good and all, but the way sega keeps mentioning the "family-friendly fun game" thing is what i dont like..we keep getting sonic and monkeyball...great but where are the condems, the shenmues, the virtua fighters, the full autos and so on. I just hope we dont keep getting billy hatcher, sonic, monkey ball and virtua fighter quest games.

Alucard
07-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Shut up sega and make me damn panzer dragoon orta 2 already!

Nindalf
07-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Shut up sega and make me damn Shenmue 3 already!

fixed hurhur

justin_credible
07-29-2006, 03:29 PM
thing is what i dont like..we keep getting sonic and monkeyball...great but where are the condems.

heh I laughed out loud when I read this, even though I knew what you meant.

It just sounds too close to "it's great we keep getting kidding stuff like sonic and monkeyball but where are the condoms? So these stupid kids won't exist!"

that's how I read it anyway.

Alucard
07-29-2006, 03:40 PM
fixed hurhur

Shenmue is the poor mans adventure game.

Kiuju2k
07-29-2006, 03:42 PM
make something worthwhile sega and i'll be on board.

Nintendo I want to believe.

Nindalf
07-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Shut your face. I know perfectly well you've never played Shenmue, because you suck. That kind of awesomeness would be too much for you to handle.

Kiuju2k
07-29-2006, 04:59 PM

Shenmue wan't a poor mans adventure game. That game to me was way ahead of its time its been in the works since the saturn. Its kind of funny when I used to see people bash the hell out of this game for its qte and its wide scope of level design but, what tickles me is when games like GTA come out basically with the same exact concept and it got all the credit for being open ended. Or when GodOW/RE4 etc.... came out with their qte-esque scenes they got all the praise in the world and nobody gave credit to where it was due. Shenmue. So I disagree with your statement.

Wow you pissed me off. Damnit.

Zod
07-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Let's hope the rest of SEGA agrees with him and bothers doing something worthwhile...

Ha!

I haven't played anything from them that I consider worthwhile in many years!

Alucard
07-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Shenmue wan't a poor mans adventure game. That game to me was way ahead of its time its been in the works since the saturn. Its kind of funny when I used to see people bash the hell out of this game for its qte and its wide scope of level design but, what tickles me is when games like GTA come out basically with the same exact concept and it got all the credit for being open ended. Or when GodOW/RE4 etc.... came out with their qte-esque scenes they got all the praise in the world and nobody gave credit to where it was due. Shenmue. So I disagree with your statement.

Wow you pissed me off. Damnit.

Haha. Its still an adventure game at heart. The only thing that was ahead of its time was the brilliant grphics engine. Aside from that the first game was sodding slow and not much you could really do. Things worked off a timer, but theres been other games that did the same thing. I bought both Shenmue 1 and 2, and 2 was on the DC in english. O had the european version. I am hardcore.

But to be honest, the game needed more work with gameplay and pacing. It was a good idea, just not done as well as it should of been. I grew up playing dozens of adventure games. I know what I'm on about!

Seraph
07-29-2006, 08:12 PM
At least sega has the right idea. I agree with them, some of my favorites like capcom and konami seem more interested in milking the guaranteed cash cow of whats proven to work, than make something fun and original.

I'm all for a classic game here and there, but I would like to see Capcom, Konami and Square make the Wii shine.

Reality
07-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Hehe well, you can say the same for Nintendo too. I mean, original franchise wise what's Nintendo go to show for the Wii? Maybe that disaster game but their biggest titles are the normal Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon ect. Though they do look great. Some new faces be wonderful.

ExMagGuy
07-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Haha. Its still an adventure game at heart. The only thing that was ahead of its time was the brilliant grphics engine. Aside from that the first game was sodding slow and not much you could really do. Things worked off a timer, but theres been other games that did the same thing. I bought both Shenmue 1 and 2, and 2 was on the DC in english. O had the european version. I am hardcore.

But to be honest, the game needed more work with gameplay and pacing. It was a good idea, just not done as well as it should of been. I grew up playing dozens of adventure games. I know what I'm on about!

This is about as accurate a summation of what was wrong with Shen Mue as I have seen.

TheHardware
07-29-2006, 10:51 PM
http://wii.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=7197
The way the Wii is being built you have to design for it. Ports and upgrades are no good. That thinking takes a little bit of creativity and not every publisher has the necessary creative people available."

wouldnt monkeyball and sonic be considered an upgrade, much in the same way every tomb raider after part 1 was? (ok that comparison is a little harsh but...)

Seraph
07-30-2006, 12:21 AM
Hehe well, you can say the same for Nintendo too. I mean, original franchise wise what's Nintendo go to show for the Wii?Maybe I should have elaborated when I said new.

Mario, Zelda and Metroid are just brand names. Mario is still a platforming series, Zelda adventure and Metroid a shooter/exploration. But within their respective genres they have become known for, we are seing brand new ways to play that take advantage of this unique controller. I didnt mean "nobody is going to create new IP's for this".

If Nintendo didnt present some of their new ideas in a fresh coat of Mario or Metroid paint then they might as well throw in the towel now.

I just feel that most 3rd parties at this point seem more inclined to milk the same old formula than take the risk of something new. DS being where i get this feeling from. There are tons of friggan sweet games for it, but its mainly been 1st party Nin games like K:CC and Nintendogs that really make creative use of that second screen. I havent seen Capcom/Konami/Square do anything unique with it yet besides the occasional gimmick.

Icarus4578
07-30-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm all for a classic game here and there, but I would like to see Capcom, Konami and Square make the Wii shine.

I'd like to see smaller companies with good ideas shine on the Wii instead of suffering by having to compare to those graphic whores on the PS3 and X360.

welshfreak
07-30-2006, 08:16 AM
I can forsee, although I could be completely wrong, that many independent parties will be going for the cheaper route with the Wii and be creating small, niche games, raw in presentation, raw talent behind development, which will be great to see really. Coupled with the bigger names and franchises, they may be a nice balance and a broad pallet of games to chose from.

jerzmob
07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
nobody loves sega....and this makes me angry. SEGA come back with a new console already

questworld
08-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Yeah it sounds good and all, but the way sega keeps mentioning the "family-friendly fun game" thing is what i dont like..we keep getting sonic and monkeyball...great but where are the condems, the shenmues, the virtua fighters, the full autos and so on. I just hope we dont keep getting billy hatcher, sonic, monkey ball and virtua fighter quest games.

Ditto. Though I have nothing against games like Sonic or Monkeyball, I'd like some fresh franchises like Virtua Fighter, Condemned, Chromehounds, etc. (fresh in the sense that games like VF have yet to make it on Nintendo's system).

Icarus4578
08-01-2006, 08:54 AM
nobody loves sega....and this makes me angry. SEGA come back with a new console already

.....psssst..... I slept with my Genesis

Icarus4578
08-01-2006, 08:55 AM
....next to my bed.

sharky~
08-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Ha!

I haven't played anything from them that I consider worthwhile in many years!

Living under a rock for the past year and a half?