PDA

View Full Version : [help] DS Lite dead pixel

ogami
06-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I just bought DS lite from bestbuy.

When I turn it on... the upper screen has a red dot that wouldn't go away. :sweat:

Is this a dead pixel or it will go away?

(should i just get it exchange?)

Drunken Savior
06-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a dead pixel or a frozen pixel (Is the red dot there when you turn it off?)

Either way, you should return it for a new product a.s.a.p.

ogami
06-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a dead pixel or a frozen pixel (Is the red dot there when you turn it off?)

Either way, you should return it for a new product a.s.a.p.

the red dot only appears when DS lite is on.
It is very visible when i play Tetris DS...

bestbuy will exchange it for me right...? :confused:

SuperAngelo64
06-12-2006, 06:15 PM
They should, so long as you didn't trash the box and receipt and all that other junk. Best Buy is pretty decent with returns, atleast over here.

Drunken Savior
06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
From Nintendo themselves:
White (or Other Color) Dot on the Screen

With a small number of Nintendo DS Lite screens, one or two dots on the screen may appear to be "stuck" on a particular color, such as white or red. This effect is caused when a particular pixel (the dots that make up the screen) is not working properly. Even with the high quality standards set by LCD manufacturers, you will find this situation is common in many LCD devices (PC monitors, televisions, cell phones, etc.), and is within LCD manufacturers' specifications.

It's important to understand that this issue will remain limited to the pixels you have already noticed. The problem will not get any worse and you should not expect to see the problem in any other areas of the screen.
We suggest you use your system for a few weeks to determine whether this interferes with your enjoyment of game play. If, after using your system for awhile, you feel that this tiny dot is too distracting, the Nintendo DS Lite does carry a one-year warranty. We are happy to inspect and, if necessary, fix your system at no charge within the warranty period.

Feel free to call Nintendo to get a new DS Lite (If Bestbuy gives you any hassle) at 1-800-255-3700.

-DS

DEXTERITY
06-12-2006, 07:35 PM
The first batch of the old DS had that same problem and corp replaced those who complained. I didn't want to say anything but I had mine a few weeks prior to the launch and have two white ones on my screen and a lot of the ones whcih are going in the interactives seem to have them.. I had a feeling the retail ones would.. but Corp will replace it for you. At leats thats what they did last time. They are really good with handling issues. especially since it just came out.

Pikachief
06-12-2006, 07:40 PM
HAHA i got my old DS on launch day and no dead pixels!(or froze)

SavedFromSin
06-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Yea, I was wondering if this would happen. I wanna wait and maybe they will fix the problem when the new colors come out. I know nintendo is awesome with repairs, but after dealing with my 360 i dont wanna deal with something like that again.

ogami
06-12-2006, 08:01 PM
thanks guys... need to run to Bestbuy once i get off work.
this time, I will check before I leave Bestbuy... :D

Hopefully, Bestbuy still have stocks... they have 4 left when I bought mine 3 hours ago. :sweat:

I guess i am lucky to get the "specal dead pixcel edition" DS Lite. :bigsmile: Maybe i should buy a lottery ticket.

DEXTERITY
06-12-2006, 08:32 PM
my old one didn't have that problem either.. I doubt it is all of them. It seemed to be a particular "batch" last time.. The stock levels in the U.S aren't going to be that great with the demand in Japan so don't wait too long.. There won't be massive outages, but there could be some time between shipments stores receive.

ogami
06-12-2006, 11:51 PM
went back to Bestbuy and got it exchange... they didn't really care :lol:

I checked for dead pixel before i leave... now i have a good DS lite.

One question for u guys, are you going to put a protective plastic for the screens?

Vegetto
06-13-2006, 12:00 AM
my bro got the protective screen h/o

*couple mins later* he says hes pleased with them so far

Drunken Savior
06-13-2006, 04:00 AM

One question for u guys, are you going to put a protective plastic for the screens?

Glad it all turned out well! :)

Escaflowne2001
06-13-2006, 07:45 AM
What the DS has dead pixels, damn Nintendo make cheap ass hardware.... :rolleyes:

spider-prime
06-13-2006, 10:07 AM

I would, if you can't find one over here, find from sites like lik-sang and play-asia.com and look for the Hori DS lite protector, their's are offical from Nintendo and work the best.

Hori released their's over here as well, so look for those, I have their in all of my DS's that I own and they do work the best and are easy to remove without any hassle at all.

and when you do remove them, they don't leave any adhesive stuck to the screen like some screen protectors do.

Pikachief
06-13-2006, 11:28 AM
What the DS has dead pixels, damn Nintendo make cheap ass hardware.... :rolleyes:

i know someone who had gotten a PSP and got dead pixels so he returned it for a nother one and that one had dead pixles too! he ended up getting 4 PSPs!

Escaflowne2001
06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
i know someone who had gotten a PSP and got dead pixels so he returned it for a nother one and that one had dead pixles too! he ended up getting 4 PSPs!

Yeah I know, I was being sarcastic as everyone use to rip on the PSP because it as meant to have dead pixels alot.

Dr. Bombay
06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I have 1 dead pixal. It's in the far upperhand right corner and I had to squint and hold the lite up to my face to see it. It's not bothering me, so I'll keep this one.

Newtype
06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
I have a stuck pixel on my top screen, randomly changes colours. The funny thing is when the whole screen is black it changes black, otherwise it's usually just be some random colour.

SoManyCHILDRENS
06-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I'll just stick with my clunky, old, no pixel issue, regular DS.

spider-prime
06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
even if it didn't bother me the dead/stuck pixel, I would always send it back and get another till there was no problem anymore, products should be 100 % in working order when you buy something. but thats just my way of thinking tho :P

littlewig
06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
The DS I got from the Pokemon Center in Tokyo had a stuck pixel when I first bought it.

Strangely, it went away after a couple of days, not sure if this is common. :\

spider-prime
06-13-2006, 05:50 PM
some stuck pixels go away if the same color of the stuck pixel is displayed

Dead pixels you can't fix at all. :(

ogami
06-13-2006, 06:01 PM
some stuck pixels go away if the same color of the stuck pixel is displayed

Dead pixels you can't fix at all. :(

So the red dot will disappear if I play something that display red? (example newSMB)

Pikachief
06-13-2006, 06:03 PM
PLAY RE DS!!

when u die they have blood on the screen!

if you dont have it then rent it on somewhere like.... Gamefly.com! :D

Dr. Bombay
06-13-2006, 06:17 PM
There was a file that came out when the DS and hte PSP were new that fixed a lot of stuck pixals. Has one been put out that we can easily use for the DS lites?

spider-prime
06-14-2006, 10:58 AM
So the red dot will disappear if I play something that display red? (example newSMB)

yeah thats a maybe, but its still very hard to do tho to actually get that color on there and to make it flash over and over till its gone.

a Dead pixel is usually just a spot on the screen that won't make a color at all, if this was a PSP you could have just downloaded a GIF picture file and just run on it and it would have gotten rid of it easily most of the time anyways, but its just easier to just take it back, cause you will have probably just took has much time trying to get rid of it then to take it back haha

so most of the DS Lite with the problem are probably just stuck pixels that Nintendo can fix themselves if you send it back to them or to the stores where you bought them. Pretty much what sony does, cause I don't even hear about dead/stuck pixels anymore on PSPs like you used to.

Newtype
06-14-2006, 11:43 AM
As Spider said stuck pixels are suppose to go away eventually. Apparently you can fix it as well by rubbing the area with the stuck pixel.

Dr. Bombay
06-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Turns out mine was just stuck as well. It was gone 3 hours into New super Mario brothers,.

einsatz
10-06-2006, 08:10 PM
first of all even if the first DS had a dead pixel you would not even notice it backlight blows on reg DS I upgraded to a lite and all my old games are fun again you can see all the background with a lite and 10X the contrast and vibrance took me three DSLites to find one with 2 perfect screens 1st on was a stuck red on the touch screen then the next was a blue on the top .tried to apply pressure to top but no help . none of this is really that big of a deal since nintendo fixes under warenty even one dead pixel so its cool EB games was cool about the returns even from 1 stuck pixel. On anything with a LCD ,always buy the store warranty easier to replace then manufacturer.over all even with the hassle the Lite is well worth it :love:

Dane
10-08-2006, 04:19 PM
what help do could we possibly give?

sorry but theres no way to actually fix it. Take it back to wherever ya got it from, with the receipt, n tell them its affecting your enjoyment and indeed ability to play your games. (add, just to make a scene: I do not expect this ....STANDARD from the likes of *place ya got it from* n waggle ya arms dramatically)

haha:p just take it back n gte a nice new one, stat!