PDA

View Full Version : Xander's Insensitive Opinions

Alexander
04-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I play a lot of games, but I don't always enjoy them. I will only review games that I've either completed or spent a reasonable amount of time with and enough to know the quality of. My rating scale is as follows:

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6073/untitled9kc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I'll post my review of Kingdom Hearts II first.

gearhound
04-13-2006, 07:08 PM
sweet yet it stings with insensitivity... bring on the kh 2 review!

Joe Redifer
04-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I disagree with your first review.

Alexander
04-13-2006, 08:42 PM
http://img2.kult-mag.com/photos/00/00/63/44/ME0000634493_1.jpg
The box art is pretty cool and better than what SE usually pumps out.

So it's finally arrived! The first installment of Kingdom Hearts sold more copies than every game on the Dreamcast put together, so we all knew a sequel was coming (especially after the giveaway at the ending.) Does it live up to the expectations set by the first one? Yes. But is that a good thing? Read on and find out!

Graphics: 8/10 To be quite honest, the visuals of KH II kick a substantial amount of ass. It probably pushes the PS2 to its limits, but I wouldn't really know. The framerate remains extremely stable, so that's good. All the Disney characters look and move just like they do in the movies, which fans will appreciate. Unfortunately, since most of the characters are ripped straight from Final Fantasy and Disney, the designs are very unoriginal. The enemies you face are mostly rehashed from the first one or look like some kind of Final Fantasy rejects. The heartless are more or less all the same, but the new "Nobodies" vary significantly, even if they all sort of look stupid. The animation in battle is drastically improved from the original game, and it's actually fun to watch, although because you'll be using the same attacks over and over, it gets boring rather quickly. The beginning and end of the game are told in craptastic FMV that Square is known for, but it looks more like PS1-era CG than current-gen. Or next-gen. Which gen is it?

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/568/kh20731mm.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
I do believe this is one of the first screenshots released. Very sharp and unaltered.

Sound: 5/10 The game starts off terribly in the sound department. Once you choose "New Game," you're treated to an earsplitting J-Pop tune with no sense of pace or rhythm and a terrible, creaky, shitty, adolescent girl voice. It's completely terrible. Luckily, it's the only vocal song in the game. Phew! The rest of the game is made up of more crappy elevator music and repetitive techno. In the Little Mermaid world, all the characters sing remixes of the already lame Under the Sea song and some other one which slips my mind and most likely yours. It's all voice acted pretty well which is the only reason it gets any points at all in this category. Actually, the voices are done extremely well. I was going to give it a 4, but I decided against it just because of the voices. I think the kid from the Sixth Sense plays Sora and some guy from Seventh Heaven does Riku. Riku's such a girly name. Then again, so is Sora. Speaking of Sora, you'll hear him shout the most annoying things over and over and over during battle. "Hah-yeah! C'mon! Back off!" over and over. Worthless.
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1451/kh20745go.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The Pirates of the Caribbean world is completely out of place. Also, it's really sucky.

Gameplay: 6/10 Some games require a walkthrough to figure out how to play them the first time through. Kingdom Hearts II IS NOT THAT GAME. Here's the formula: Run forward, mash X X X X X a few hundred times, watch a cutscene, repeat. There is no exploration and no need to vary any kind of combat strategy. There is next to no difficulty on Standard mode, although I hear Proud is a bit better. There isn't much game to the game. You can jump (although it feels really cheap) and block and later even glide, but gliding and blocking are completely unnecessary and actually make battling harder. Every level is as linear as possible. Even if you want to explore, it won't let you. It'll give you one of those lame-ass "I don't think I should go this way" prompts because it thinks you suck at life and don't know where to go. Actually, it's probably right in your case. The only reason I ever encountered these screens is because I wanted to be as thorough as possible to make sure I wasn't missing out on something worthwhile. Clearly I was not.

Story: 5/10 I won't lie. The story is very interesting. I like the idea of the hearts and stuff. It's cool. However, this game assumes that you have played and completed Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (which I hear is one major shitfest) and that is something I don't
intend to do. So right off the bat, most people are going to be confused. But that's okay, because there is only about 2 hours of actual story in this game. That's right. The beginning and the ending. After you gain control of Sora, you travel through meaningless Disney world after meaningless Disney world (none of which contribute to the story in any way.) Every once in a while, you'll get a cutscene with Final Fantasy characters which has nothing to do with the plot. At the end, the plot continues from where it left off 20 or so hours before and comes to a worthless halt with a stupid cliffhanger ending which makes no sense because all the loose ends were definitely tied up. So what, I didn't get the good ending. I'm sure it sucked too. Anyway, the story is good but nearly nonexistent.

Overall: 6/10 It's a pretty good game that somehow manages to be fun throughout the whole thing. You never really feel rewarded because all the enemies level up as you do similarly to Final Fantasy VIII but a little different. The story is better read on Gamefaqs or something.

Worth a rental.

Alexander
04-13-2006, 08:44 PM
I disagree with your first review.
You might notice that my reviews look a little like yours. It's only because I really like reading yours and I think they flow better than most of the review threads. I especially like the pictures, so I used that as well.

Hope you don't mind.

Icarus4578
04-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Yeah, 'specially seeing as all I see are red x's.

Nindalf
04-14-2006, 09:17 AM
how are your reviews going to show the promised insensitivity?

Alexander
04-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah, 'specially seeing as all I see are red x's.
Yeah...it's been doing that. It will stay up for two hours or so and then go back down. I guess I'll just imageshack it.

Paper exe
04-14-2006, 03:37 PM
The Pirates of the Caribbean world is completely out of place. Also, it's really sucky.
That idea was brilliant. Being in the real world was the main idea and why they made it.
more crappy
Ohh please the music in pretty nice and far from being creepy. Don?t tell me you are one of those people who think video games music sucks and voice acting and sound effects are the most impoartent part!?

You should have chosen hard in the first place. I cannot judge, because I never triad normal or easy especially when there are higher difficulty. I can say for sure the game isn't a button masher, especially because when you hit the boss or even some enemies they attack back which means you simply cannot button mash your way. Also boss after getting a lot of hits some of them get berserk and you cannot harm him and have to avoid it's attacks. Add to that the stage that you complaint about enemies can hardly die with just using attack.

Also putting the whole new enemy type (Nobodies) and the new heartless it will end up having good amount of new enemies.

Main point I strongly against your review on Kingdom hearts 2
Hay, did I hit your sensitive side!?

Alexander
04-14-2006, 04:28 PM
In response to Paper Exe...

1: If I didn't care about music, I wouldn't have rated it so low.

2: I chose standard because it is generally the most balanced of all difficulties. It gives you what the developers had in mind to begin with.

3: Pirates of the Caribbean didn't fit with the rest of the game at all. It was a bad decision on the developers' part and the only reason they included it was to bring in the fangirls.

4: I tried for 20 minutes to die in the last area before I actually did. That was without touching anything. The game is the very defintion of button mashing.

5: Most of the enemies looked really similar, but you're right, the Nobodies were much more interesting than the Heartless.

Joe Redifer
04-14-2006, 07:09 PM
#1 - It's nice to know that Paper is still around.

#2 - I don't mind if you immitate the format of my reviews at all. I take it as a compliment.

gearhound
04-14-2006, 10:32 PM
that was actually my format... you ripped me off. i will take your head now.

Sinful Sam
04-15-2006, 04:25 AM
Nice review :cool guy:

Seraph
04-15-2006, 05:06 AM
good format Xander, and I love your rating scale (cause its the same as mine).

although you just HAD to review KH2! I crave this game so badly.

Alexander
04-15-2006, 08:24 AM
good format Xander, and I love your rating scale (cause its the same as mine).

although you just HAD to review KH2! I crave this game so badly.
Good, I recommend it. Especially if you liked the first one. Later this week I'll be reviewing both Axelay and Beatmania for SNES and PS2 respectively.

Paper exe
04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
#1 - It's nice to know that Paper is still around.
Joe, can I still use the last month of exam excuse for not being in the forums!?

gearhound
04-18-2006, 05:26 PM
i predict a score of 9/10 for axelay.

Joe Redifer
04-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Axelay doesn't deserve a 9.

gearhound
04-18-2006, 08:31 PM
it most certainly does. it is one of the best shooters on the snes. :)

Joe Redifer
04-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Maybe so, but still not a 9!

Icarus4578
04-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Axelay deserves a 9. I said it, therefore it's true.

gearhound
04-19-2006, 05:47 PM
i'm with icarus.

Joe Redifer
04-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, if 7 or 8 is average then I guess it deserves a 9. Axelay is just too slow to be immensely replayable. Read my review on it. It is definitive. Even Konami agrees with it. My reviews are better that the both of yours combines. Only Xander can compete!

Alexander
04-19-2006, 08:19 PM
http://www.juegomania.org/Axelay/fotos/snes/0/115_c/Caratula+Axelay.jpg
I stole this box picture from some Spanish guy. It has some of the game's bosses in it, including the fire giant which doesn't really go with the pattern of bosses, which tend to be giant robots of some sort.

Axelay arrived on the SNES in 1992 and was, at the time, one of the only shooters available for the console. How did it measure up against arcade-king Genesis and other shooters? Why have I waited so long to play it? Read on to find out!

Graphics: 5/10 As far as I can tell, there is a background plane and the sprites on top of it and no other independently scrolling backgrounds. I can't explain it as well as Joe could, but there you go. It's usually better not to have a lot going on in the background of a shooter, because these can provide distractions if you suck at shooters like I do, so I assume that the developer must have been catering to my tastes and changed it at the last moment to suit them. Points for that. However, there is a really strange scaling effect that attempts to simulate the earth's curve when playing on a vertical stage. It's an interesting concept, but executed rather poorly and gives the whole game a rather... "cheap" feel to it, if that makes sense. Sprites are nice sized, but are nothing special. The enemies are uninspired and they leave me with one question-- why is there always a fire dragon in every game with a lava stage?

http://www.juegomania.org/Axelay/fotos/snes/0/115/Foto+Axelay.jpg
This looks like the first stage. What can I say? Bland!

Sound: 7/10 I really like the music in this game. I like it so much, in fact, that I'm working on a piano remix of the third stage's music (which I think is the city one). Here's the way I see it. Axelay has below average music for the shooter genre, but above average music for games in general. So there you are. Most of it is very space-age and dramatic, like every level is the most important thing you've ever done in your life. It might lead to some sweaty palms if it gets to you easily.
The sound effects are an interesting bunch. After equipping your ship with weapons pre-mission, a man's vocie will say something like...great. Now I forgot. Okay, I think he says, "Weapon process loaded, good luck!" or something equally worthless. Anyway, for the first few missions, I was sure he was saying "good night!" and I just couldn't figure out why. Anyway, sometimes if you kill enemies too damn fast for your own good (which I did, of course) the explosions won't sync up with the animation. This is pretty much the same on any game in that generation, so I didn't count off for it. Good night!

Be sure to check out Prozax's OC Remix of the first stage's music at ocremix.org (http://ocremix.org) .

http://blazinglazers.gamersgraveyard.com/axelay/screens/lv6/pix/lv6_08.gif
This is one of the horizontal levels. It's hella hard, if I remember correctly. Which I do, of course. And by hard, I mean hard for you.

Gameplay: 7/10 Unlike most of the shooters that I've played (which isn't many) there aren't any floating power-ups in Axelay, which both limits and strengthens the gameplay in several respects. One way it limits it is that there really isn't much reward for staying alive, aside from the obvious not wanting to die thing. In power-up shooters, you get steadily more powerful and then lose it all when you take a hit. That's what makes Axelay better. Since you don't lose anything when you die, you can continue without being terribly weakened.
At the beginning of every level, you can choose from many weapons, of which you can pick three to equip to your ship. Every time you complete a stage, you get a new weapon to choose on the next one, for a total of nine (?). You begin with three. You do the math. Finding the right combination of weapons for any given stage is a fun challenge and can lead to some creative combos. Just don't underestimate the power of the Macro Missle, because it kills so much face it isn't even close to being a laughing matter.
Instead of dying in a single hit like in a lot of the games of this genre, you only die in one hit if you run into terrain or directly into an enemy ship. It will take four projectile shots from an enemy to lose one life. Each of the first hits will disarm a weapon and the final one will kill you in a burning, fiery death suitable to someone of your gaming calibur.

Story: 0/10 Unreviewed purely because it wouldn't be fair. There's no real story to this game and it doesn't pretend to have one.

Overall: 7/10 Freak, man! Go buy Axelay right now! Not only is it fun, but if you curse loud enough after dying on level 6's boss, the hot chick from next door might even come over to see what's wrong! Then she'll get so engrossed by Axelay that she'll start cussing too. Plus it only runs around $10, so you're wasting your time every second you aren't buying it. Be warned though, you'll have to go through a few of the stages multiple times before you get the patterns down and learn how to properly not suck.

gearhound
04-19-2006, 09:20 PM
why did you give the graphics a 5/10? it is the best looking shooter on the snes and demonstrates the power of the snes.

Axelay has below average music for the shooter genre, but above average music for games in general

this is where i come in and say that axelay has above average music for a shooter as well as above average music for games in general.

and the guy says, "arms installation is complete. good luck."

Alexander
04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Just because something is technically powerful doesn't mean it is artistically beautiful. The weird effects were just ugly.

Joe Redifer
04-19-2006, 10:25 PM
and the guy says, "arms installation is complete. good luck."
Why is this deemed special? There are other games with longer phrases that sound just as good or even better. That's the only phrase in the entire game. At least E-SWAT had 4 phrases.

gearhound
04-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Just because something is technically powerful doesn't mean it is artistically beautiful. The weird effects were just ugly.

i didn't think so. i think axelay has great graphics. definately above average for a snes game.

good review though...

Joe Redifer
04-20-2006, 02:25 AM
Remember that the Genesis could scale backgrounds in the vertical dimension with no problem as well, so the effects of Axelay's overhead level are possible on the Genesis. What Konami did with those levels isn't truly impressive. Just weird.

Icarus4578
04-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Your review has quite a few errenous statements (and opinions, like that the music is below average for the shooter genre :annoyed: ). Let's take a look.

Axelay arrived on the SNES in 1993...

1992. http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/axelay

How did it measure up against arcade-king Genesis and other shooters.

This sentence makes no sense. The Genesis isn't a shooter, is it?

I like it so much, in fact, that I'm working on a piano remix of the fourth stage's music (which I think is the city one).

The city is the third stage; the water caverns is the fourth.

"Weapon process loaded, good luck!"

I think gearhound covered this.

"good night!"

?

Unlike most of the shooters that I've played (which isn't many)...

I'll have to take your review with a grain of salt because you're not very experienced in the shooter genre. Not that I have anything against you.

Every time you complete a stage, you get a new weapon to choose on the next one, for a total of nine.

I don't think I'm wrong here but I think the total is 8. You begin with three + obtain one per stage completed sans the final stage.

Freak, man! Go buy Axelay right now! Not only is it fun, but if you curse loud enough after dying on level 7's boss

Dude, there's six stages in the game, even on the hardest difficulty.

Finally,
Overall: 9/10

Fixed.

Alexander
04-20-2006, 04:43 PM
This sentence makes no sense. The Genesis isn't a shooter, is it?
Of course not, but the Genesis had far more arcade ports than the SNES and shooters are a standard of the arcade scene, so it was more of a comparison of being SNES exclusive.

The city is the third stage; the water caverns is the fourth.
Innocent mistake. The water caverns are so simple I forget it often.

?
I just thought it would spice up the review to add my own anecdotal experience. It seriously sounded like he was saying "good night."

I'll have to take your review with a grain of salt because you're not very experienced in the shooter genre. Not that I have anything against you.
This may be true, but I'm no newcomer when it comes to games in general. I know what I like and what I don't like. I know good music when I hear it and I have heard better music in other shooters even though Axelay's is very good.

I don't think I'm wrong here but I think the total is 8. You begin with three + obtain one per stage completed sans the final stage.
There are nine weapon slots. I just assumed I'd missed one somehow.

Dude, there's six stages in the game, even on the hardest difficulty.
*shrug* The last one is pretty damn long.

Fixed.
Not so much. There is no way Axelay is a near perfect game by any measurement. It has next to no replay value and why does it feel so slow? It's good, but it isn't amazing.

Joe Redifer
04-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Too much slowdown and the second half of the game is boring, plus the music kind of sucks during the second half as well. My review of the game is teh perfect.

gearhound
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
no, joe. my review of axelay is definitive. by the way, if you think axelay has a lot of slowdown, play thunder sprits on the snes. i am sure you have. the slowdown in that game is ridiculous. there really isn't too much slowdown in axelay. but i will say that it is one of the best shooters of the 16-bit era, for sure.

if you don't agree with me, you're wrong. :)

Joe Redifer
04-20-2006, 07:29 PM
I rented Thunder Spirits. The only thing I remember is that it was inferior. That was a loooong time ago. What do you think the best shooter of the 16-bit era was (and that includes the Neo Geo)?

gearhound
04-20-2006, 08:01 PM
i haven't played many on the neo geo, but i would give a nod to axelay or thunder force IV... or r-type II.

pulstar is bad ass. i'm not sure if r-type II is 16 bit... i'm thinking 24 bit arcade.

there is probably more but i can't think of many right now...

you?

Joe Redifer
04-20-2006, 09:58 PM
R-Type 2? The arcade hardware was very, very 16-bit. I don't think there are any 24-bit CPU's in existence.

As for shooters I like all Thunder Forces, but I like TF5 the least out of them all. Gaiares is really cool as is Gley Lancer and others I can't think of right now. Pulstar was too slow. I liked the original R-Type... Master System and TurboGrafx-16 versions... not the arcade because the arcade had super crappy sound.

gearhound
04-21-2006, 12:20 AM
i figured it was 16 bit. have you played r-type II arcade? r-type II on the arcade is awesome. i have to disagree about the sound, though; i think the music in r-type II is pretty good. definately one of my favorite arcade shooters... along with raiden, strikers, aero fighters, and gunbird is just outstanding. the do don pachi series is really good. the playstation version of r-type 1 and II are near perfect translations. the turbo grapx version isn't too impressive. also, r-type III on the snes is pretty good.

Joe Redifer
04-21-2006, 12:47 AM
R-Type 2 arcade had decent sound, a bit better than R-Type 1 arcade which was extremely weak. Despite their limited sound chips, both the Sega Master Systems and TurboGrafx-16 versions of R-Type 1 are far more pleasing to listen to than the real arcade. Super R-Type on the SNES is also much more pleasing audibly than the arcade R-Type 2. Irem used some crappy sound hardware in their arcades, as every single one of their arcade games sound bad, with the home versions sounding better (except for Vigilante which sounds like ass no matter where you play it).

gearhound
04-21-2006, 12:55 AM
yeah, snes r-type had a good soundtrack. i agree about the sound in the first r-type; it was pretty weak. the arcade sound of r-type II seemed weak and didn't stand out, although the music was pretty good but you could hardly hear it.

Icarus4578
04-21-2006, 04:25 AM
I hardly think Irem's arcade music sucked. Maybe in their early years, but games such as In The Hunt and R-Type Leo had cool soundtracks. Some arcades had terrible soundtracks because many developers felt that since the arcades were usually noisy the most important aspects were the visuals and sound effects/voice. However, as more and more developers realized the importance of porting their popular arcade titles to home, they began to consider the music much more relevant. Nobody wanted to be held up for a long time just because they 'forgot' to include a semi-decent soundtrack.

gearhound
04-21-2006, 10:20 AM
r-type II arcade had good music.

Joe Redifer
04-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about R-Type Leo. The arcade did have a good soundtrack with great sound quality.

gearhound
04-22-2006, 03:39 PM
i have not payed r-type leo. i bet it's awesome.

Paper exe
04-23-2006, 11:30 AM
although the music was pretty good but you could hardly hear it.
Hardly heard music is a law on all shooters at lets the dozen shooters that I own have that law and all that not including Emulator. All what I can hear on Shooters is noisy sound effects.

gearhound
04-24-2006, 07:43 PM
there is no such law. you must be playing crappy shooters.

Izzy
05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Review something fun. Something everyone in da world has played. checkers ^_^

Well alot of people.

Alexander
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/curse-of-monkey-island/cover-art/curse-of-monkey-island_box_front_small.jpg
The dread pirate Le Chuck looks cooler without the flaming beard. I think it game out in '97 or '99. I'm leaning toward '97
Oh me, oh my. What have I missed out on all my life? The adventure genre is a good one, that's for sure. I feel quite stupid for having missed out...but none of that is important now, because now I've learned of the happiness in store for me in the form of other adventure games. This wasn't my first, but it was one of'em. Avast!
Graphics: 10/10 JC, guys, JC! These graphics are absolutely delicious. I'm willing to say that these are possibly the most perfect visuals I've ever had the delight of seeing. Everything is clean and crisp and drawn exactly as it was envisioned. Nothing is out of place and some of the environments are absolute works of art. There are high-res sprites on extremely detailed, lush backgrounds that vary significantly. The character designs are traditional, but still have personality. My favorite part about the graphics? The swirly clouds.
http://home.tiscalinet.ch/arianet/soluces/images/monk3_1.jpg
This is Guybrush Threepwood overlooking Puerto Pollo. Beautiful!
Sound: 9/10 Gah! Full voice acting and even catchy tunes to go along! Perfection among perfection! Kind of. Every character in the entire game is completely voice acted with big name actors like Gary Coleman. Yes, that's right, Gary Coleman everyone. All the voice acting is funny and top notch and all the different accents really spice things up. The music, for the most part, is good, but a lot of it is taken from the original Monkey Island (1990) and remixed. This is fine, but I would have liked to hear a few more original tunes. Other than that, the music is standard piratey fare.
http://www.pcplayer.de/bilder/aktuell/specials/la/curse3.jpg
The swirly clouds in the background of a piratey insult fight.
Gameplay: 8/10 Compared to its predecessors and many other LucasArts adventure games, the gameplay in CoM is very, very good. Instead of having to sort through a dozen different actions and then clicking on something, every item you click on has three different actions associated with it, along with the traditional drag-and-drop aspect of using items on others. The controls are very intuitive and require no briefing to understand how they work. The difficulty in any good adventure game has to be pretty high, but since there is no possible way to die in a LucasArts adventure game, you are essentially given infinite time to try anything you might think work. Some of the puzzles are very, very good and difficult to figure out, but some are just ridiculous and require that you backtrack to certain areas to find miniscule objects that most people wouldn?t notice. The difficulty just adds to the fun, though, because you actually feel smart when you figure out a tough issue. Who says games don?t promote education? Idiots, that?s who.
Story: 7/10 The story itself is pretty clich?d. Guybrush?s girlfriend/fianc? is turned into a statue by a cursed ring and subsequently stolen by monkey-pirates. In order to turn her back and save the day, Guybrush must replace the cursed ring with one of equal or greater value. Even though the story doesn?t have much to it, the characters do a great job of adding a lot of humor and personality to the otherwise mundane plot. Some of the jokes are extremely funny and there really aren?t many stupid jokes that just make you feel bad. This is genuinely good stuff and the writers should be praised.
Overall: 8/10 It?s quite long for an adventure game and the art is simply breathtaking. The humor and graphics are extremely well done. The music isn?t anything special, but suits the game. I would recommend this game to anyone, anyone at all. Seriously, it?s excellent. Maybe Nintendo should make something similar for the Wii. I think it would be a good platform for it. Oh well, now that the babble has started, the review should end.
Final words: Buy it now.

Alexander
05-25-2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.optigamer.com/games/boxart/138.jpg
The box art is tasteful, yet simple. It isn?t this blurry in real life.
I have never been a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series. Over the years, I have purchased all three of the original games at closeout prices simply because I hate passing up a highly-reviewed game if it?s cheap. After hearing my peers and fellow forum members talking about how incredible the story is in the series, I felt obligated to give it another shot. I?m glad I did.

Graphics: 8/10 The graphics are simply top notch for the Playstation. I was very pleasantly surprised after equipping some of the vision-altering goggles, like Thermal Vision. The character models are well done and the animation is excellent, but like the majority of PS1 titles, elbows, shoulders and knees look very odd and disproportioned. There is a wide range of environments ranging from sewers to snow fields to pits of flame. A few pieces of equipment will alter Snake?s appearance, but not too drastically. Cut scenes are rendered through the game?s engine and exaggerated body motions are used to convey motion, since facial expressions were nearly impossible at the time. Sometimes actual recorded video will be shown and it ranges from being immersive to distracting, depending on the time in which it is played.
http://www.ludus.it/articoli/267/1.jpg
Obviously a Playstation title, but still pretty good looking.

Sound: 7/10 The music in Metal Gear Solid is, for the most part, nonexistent. While sneaking or sleuthing and during many of the cut scenes, ambient wind noises or footsteps or dripping can be heard. It adds to the realism, but I couldn?t help but think the developers were just being a little lazy. When you?re spotted by a guard and combat begins, a fast-paced, percussion-oriented tune plays, which suits the mood entirely. There is a separate combat song for boss battles, but it isn?t very memorable and doesn?t sound much different than the normal one. Every time you die (which will probably be a lot, since the game revolves around a lot of trial and error) a catchy little five-second melody will sound while one of Snake?s comrades cries out his name very realistically. In fact, the voice acting in the game is consistently solid. The women who provide the voices seem to do a better job of it than the men, but everyone has voices that suit their characters. At first, Snake?s seems a little forced, but it will gradually sound more natural.
http://www.geocities.com/secondwebsite/mgs_1.jpeg
Who guards the guard?

Gameplay: 7/10 People either get turned off immediately because of the gameplay or fall in love with it. I, personally, loved it. A lot of people just think of the series as stealth driven even before they play it, but that simply isn?t true. Stealth seems to play a minor role in Metal Gear Solid, because you don?t even have to sneak around. If you wanted, you could run through each room as fast as possible and still get through the game just as easily as someone who played conservatively. This is because every time you enter a new area, your respawn point is set to the entrance. It?s basically like saving every time you enter a room, and it?s very helpful. It means you won?t lose progress repeatedly or have to complete certain parts of the game over and over again just because you died.

Story: 9/10 The story is as complex as it is simple, if that makes any sense. After completing it, anyone would be able to recap the story in a few sentences. But since the game is about ten hours long, it really goes deeper than that. Every character is portrayed brilliantly and there?re even a few things to learn along the way (how sweet). The militaristic story is realistic and ridiculous at the same time. If you?re a fan of RPGs or good books, it?s a conspiracy story that?s perfect for you.

Overall: 9/10 There really isn?t any reason not to play Metal Gear Solid, when you get right down to it. It?s cheap, it?s common, and it?s incredibly well-made. You?ll get hooked and you won?t want to put it down. And even when you do, you can still play the remake and the other two in the series.
My favorite part of the game: Snake saying ?Meryl.?

Seraph
05-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, metal gear 1 is truley one of those awesome games.

i was kinda pissed about the ending though. or at least the "proper" ending that metal gear 2 stems from. the good ending is when you dont give into the toruture.

burpingcat
05-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Yep, it's true...I think you can get used copies of MGS 1, 2, and 3 together for $30 or less.

I agree that MGS1 had the weakest music. MGS2 and 3 improve on that a lot.

Alexander
05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 2 now. Where the hell is Meryl? I resisted torture and I guess I got the wrong ending.

Nindalf
05-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Everyone should only play Twin Snakes. It's the far superior version, despite what some Metal Gear elitist might say.

Alexander
05-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Everyone should only play Twin Snakes. It's the far superior version, despite what some Metal Gear elitist might say.
I can't see any reason why you'd be wrong about that. I'm going to get Twin Snakes after I finish Snake Eater.

burpingcat
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Twin Snakes is great, although they really should've modified the levels to be better suited for the MGS2-style gameplay. Overall, Twin Snakes is good only for fans or for people that have never played MGS before because they avoid Sony consoles (looking right at you, Nintendo freaks!).

Sinful Sam
05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 2 now. Where the hell is Meryl? I resisted torture and I guess I got the wrong ending.
I heard she appears in MGS4. I guess it?s in on the trailer.

Twin Snakes is alright. It just seems pretty pointless to play since it?s the same thing over again just with very little extras and prettier graphics. Graphics don't even look as good as MGS2 though.

Nindalf
05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Twin Snakes might not be the best remake ever, but if you haven't played either, there is no reason to play the original over Twin Snakes, or if you want to replay the game after a while. It's just better.

Joe Redifer
05-25-2006, 05:26 PM
I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid, but I never had the urge to play through it a second time. That's just asking too much. Nor have I had the urge to play the sequels.

Seraph
05-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Where the hell is Meryl? I resisted torture and I guess I got the wrong ending.Yes, you can thank the brilliant creator for that decision.

They could of at least made reference that she was at home with the kids baking cakes or something. No, as far as you can tell in MGS2 the woman snake "found reason other than himself to live for" in is dead. It wasnt untill this new MGS4 trailer that we see shes still alive, which fugs the storyline up to no end.

tpfkanep
05-26-2006, 01:37 AM
Hopefully the MGS for PS3/360 will definately be Hideous Kojima's last MGS game. And then Snake will die. And everyone will be shiny, happy gamers.

MGS1: Initially interesting, but lost it's appeal very quickly.
MGS2: Got to that chick-boss-fight on the boat, never loaded the game after that again.

burpingcat
05-26-2006, 04:23 AM
Lol, seraph...I'm sure Kojima and gang have acknowledged that Meryl has been missing for quite a while with no explanation. I'm sure they will have some explanation for it in MGS4. If any of us are rich enough to play it, they should post that info on here for us normal people when the game comes out.

Sinful Sam
05-26-2006, 04:58 AM
Hopefully the MGS for PS3/360 will definately be Hideous Kojima's last MGS game. And then Snake will die. And everyone will be shiny, happy gamers.
That is not going to happen. Kojima has said that so many times but look how many he was done. 3 Metal Gears for PSP the 4th installment coming to PS3. Snake appearing in different games such as Smash Brothers and Ape Escape. It is Konami best selling franchise and it's not going to die anytime soon. The story might go with Raiden or have more stories on previous events in Snake?s like.

Nindalf
05-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Winning Eleven sells better and can have new games faster.

Seraph
05-26-2006, 10:56 AM
If any of us are rich enough to play it, they should post that info on here for us normal people when the game comes out.im actually hoping somebody will put together a whole playthrough video and torrent it somewhere. I really dont think id be missing out on much not playing it, im just super interested in the storyline. PS (i luv meryl)

Alexander
05-27-2006, 01:22 PM
MGS1: Initially interesting, but lost it's appeal very quickly.
MGS2: Got to that chick-boss-fight on the boat, never loaded the game after that again.

You owe it to yourself to try again. You're missing out on a lot of great moments. I'll review MGS2 soon since I just finished that two days ago. I'm playing 3 now and I'm not liking it as much as 2, but it's still very good.

tpfkanep
05-29-2006, 01:39 AM
I am planning to do that... sometime in the future... hopefully. As well as retrying Sonic mega-collection.

Northeastmonk
05-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Xander, I stick to your review. Mainly because I know how far Disney went to sell out their characters. lol.

Alexander
05-29-2006, 11:08 PM
I can't tell you how much I adore the MGS series after finishing it. I don't think I've ever felt so impacted by anything in my entire life. That may sound a little extreme, but I think everyone has the perfect game or series for them, and MGS is that series for me.

But now it feels like I've been dumped. There's an empty feeling. What should I play now?

Paper exe
05-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Megaman Battle Network or you know what Boktai.

Seraph
05-30-2006, 12:32 AM
A good movie will do that to you Xander ^__^

I havent even played 3 yet, but the storyline and cinematic telling of them is fantastic.

Ive never had a videogame Id rather watch than play before MGS.

burpingcat
05-30-2006, 01:14 AM
xander is my new ally in metal gear appreciation

Alexander
05-30-2006, 08:19 AM
xander is my new ally in metal gear appreciation
Don't you feel sorry for people that haven't played it?

burpingcat
05-31-2006, 12:42 AM
I feel more sorry for people that hate the series for not being MGS1 again and again.

Risky
05-31-2006, 05:50 PM
no green hair crap in here?

Alexander
06-01-2006, 10:28 AM
What green hair crap?

SoManyCHILDRENS
06-15-2006, 09:03 PM
This green hair crap:

http://www.mexiland.ch/shop/images/250_verde.JPG

folken001
08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
I haven't played KH2 yet. I've heard good things about it, but not too sure. I just find it funny that you give it a low score in story department because it assumes its players have played the first game.

It's true that not KH2 owner played KH. But, KH2 is a sequel. so.....

Alexander
08-03-2006, 07:03 PM
I gave it a low score in the story department because while the game is like 30 hours, there are about one and a half hours of actual story in there.

I should really write another review. Someone order me to do something.

Pikachief
08-03-2006, 07:18 PM
go get mario galaxy! NOW!!!
and review it :D

folken001
08-03-2006, 08:02 PM
review the new mario game on DS?

Alexander
08-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Okay, I've got that one. I'll replay a bit of it to refresh my memory.

Ryan_Robert
09-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Thanks, you've inspired me not to buy this game.

Alexander
09-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Damn it, I have no work ethic.

Ryan_Robert
09-07-2006, 08:08 AM
It eats birds.

Nephlabobo
09-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Yes, you can thank the brilliant creator for that decision.

They could of at least made reference that she was at home with the kids baking cakes or something. No, as far as you can tell in MGS2 the woman snake "found reason other than himself to live for" in is dead. It wasnt untill this new MGS4 trailer that we see shes still alive, which fugs the storyline up to no end.

No it fucking doesn't you moron. There IS a reference to Meryl - not by name - in the beginning of MGS2. Get your fucking facts straight.

SuperAngelo64
09-08-2006, 04:34 PM
No it fucking doesn't you moron. There IS a reference to Meryl - not by name - in the beginning of MGS2. Get your fucking facts straight.

You know, sometimes I think you go out and search for reasons to senselessly bash him.

Joe Redifer
09-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Agreed. And I am sick of getting complaints about him from all sorts of different members. Banned until I feel like unbanning him, if ever.

Ryan_Robert
09-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Holy Crap! they killed Nephlabobo!

SuperAngelo64
09-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Yes, this event actually validates using the following stupid emote:

:yikes:

Vegetto
09-08-2006, 11:06 PM
he was kinda 3 months late on the response too...

sad

diunx
09-08-2006, 11:59 PM
they should have ban him earlier he was always extremely rude to other members.

Alexander
09-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Wow. I'm sorry to see him go. If I don't write a review soon, this thread will be locked!