PDA

View Full Version : New X-Box Bundle

Black Sugar
10-13-2002, 08:27 AM
New Xbox mega-bundle; Controller S becomes standard
? Microsoft marks an aggressive start to the holiday season, as Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT 2002 become free pack-ins with every Xbox.
News | Friday, October 11, 2002 | Ed McGlothlin [Managing Editor]

Microsoft is set to markedly shift their Xbox strategy with a new system bundle going on sale next week. Starting Tuesday, every Xbox will include Sega titles Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT 2002, and the controller S will permanently become the included controller. The $200 retail price for the system will not change.

The original controller will still be sold separately at retail, but according to David Hufford, Xbox Marketing Manager, the switch was an easy call.

"Now that the controller S has been in the marketplace for a few months, we've been talking to gamers, and they have a clear preference," said Hufford. The controller S has outsold the original by a wide margin since debuting this past April.

One million of the bundles will be produced before year's end, and they will be the only way to purchase an Xbox during that time - and possibly beyond. An earlier rebate offer on the system's DVD remote is also in effect until November 2nd.

"The bundle is guaranteed to run through the holiday season or until supplies last. Past that, we'll certainly adjust our plans based on how hot a seller it is," said Hufford. "This holiday will be a nice dogfight between the three hardware companies. We've all done a good job getting hardcore gamers to purchase systems, but this is really designed to go after a broader audience."

The deal marks an even closer relationship between Sega and Microsoft, who first inquired about including Sega GT 2002 in a holiday bundle. Sega then suggested JSRF be included as well.

"We wanted a really fresh racing game, not something that had been on store shelves for awhile. Sega then brought up JSRF in discussions, and we knew the game had gotten critical acclaim," said Hufford.

With JSRF and Sega GT moving slowly at retail, Sega was willing to forego future sales to get the games out to a wider variety of people. The bundle is currently scheduled for North America only.

For those who purchased an Xbox recently and want to take advantage of the bundle, there is no specific exchange program, but Microsoft suggests they contact the store where the purchase was made. Retail sources said they would handle the situation similarly to the price drop earlier this year, when customers still within the return period were able to swap out their systems for the new deal.

source: gameforms

-A really excellent strategy move from Microsoft .

Havoc2049
10-13-2002, 12:47 PM
This is really an incredible deal. Two games and a DVD remote for free and the better controller-S. Microsoft is really going all out this holiday season. I went into EB yesterday to pre-order Shenmue II and Splinter Cell and the manager was all happy because Microsoft was giving away free Xbox?s to all EB managers across the US. I guess Microsoft is spending some of that 40 billion they have in the bank.

Nindalf
10-13-2002, 01:32 PM
Okay..i got a feeling that xbox fans are going to get mad at me but ...

Wasent DC giving out free games with system when it was breathing it last...well breaths or something.
MS just tries to empty their warehouses from XBs using FREE stuff
And Sega...they want to get rid of their poorly selling games so
Hey!Let just give them away!

you see Sony or Nintendo giving games away?

Drunken Savior
10-13-2002, 02:06 PM
Well releasing a package doesn't mean the end of a system. I heard that the GC was giving Martio Sunshine away with the GC to retaliate.

X-Box is not on it's last leg. It's on its $4,002,329,293 leg.

Nindalf
10-13-2002, 02:10 PM
I heard about SMS bundle but what i heard it will cost money...Xbox 2games are totally free...SMS bundle costs more than just buying GC

Havoc2049
10-13-2002, 02:43 PM
I'm sure Microsoft paid for the Sega games. We are talking Microsoft here, not Sega. Sega was in the red and needed to get out of the hardware buisness to cut costs. Microsoft is one of the most profitable companies in the world.

Black Sugar
10-13-2002, 03:08 PM
I understand Nin's argument. JSRF and Sega GT didn't reach the expected sale from Sega. Microsoft probrably bought the remain stock.

I doubt this is a sign of X-box failure, I see it as a good marketing strategy from Microsoft for the holiday season

Black Ace
10-13-2002, 07:27 PM
Heck, I'd buy another GameCube this Christmas if I could. Can't missed the platinum edition. But gotta save money for a rainy day.

8 bit Orgy
10-13-2002, 08:22 PM
Toys R Us is doing GC+card+SMS+any game=$200.

metroidman
10-13-2002, 11:03 PM
Wasent DC giving out free games with system when it was breathing it last...well breaths or something.

YES

MS just tries to empty their warehouses from XBs using FREE stuff

I AGREE

And Sega...they want to get rid of their poorly selling games so Hey! lets just give them away!

JSRF DID SALE WORSE THAN SUPERMAN 64

you see Sony or Nintendo giving games away?

TMB ONLINE BLESs THEM BUT THAT GAME ACTUALY SOLD MORE THAN 11 COPIES

ONCE AGAIN NIN YOU READ MY MIND:spinface:

crazytaxinext
10-14-2002, 10:32 AM
Well, that news story kills the rumours of this package coming to Europe. In a way that's a good thing. One more price drop or deal and MS is gonna have people running thinking its dying over here.

Cobi*
10-14-2002, 04:57 PM
this is really cool, i was gonna wait til panzer dragoon orta to pick up an xbox, but my plans might change now that this great deal is in place. my only complaint is that the other game is sega gt. would it kill them to put in gun valkyrie instead? oh, well it's still a free game in the end :2happy:

question, is this going to be the way xbox is sold from now on or is it a limited time offer?

btw, ms is doing this here but the rumor is that in japan they are gonna offer panzer dragoon orta as a pack in game!! this reminds me of when sega was selling their saturn with 3 free games, coincidentally enough, that was when i bought that system :D hard to argue with a good value!

Wolf
10-14-2002, 08:19 PM
question, is this going to be the way xbox is sold from now on or is it a limited time offer?

Microsoft will ship 1 million units of this bundle. The bundle will run until the systems are sold out or the next fiscal year. Then MS will re-evaluate their plans to see how "hot" the bundle actually was.

gabriel
10-14-2002, 09:58 PM
So, someone who buys an Xbox before Nov 2 will receive the two free games, AND the free dvd kit? Or will they make it so only one of the offers is valid? With JSRF, Sega GT, and the DVD kit, it's like you're paying only $80 for the system itself :yikes: It'd be pretty cool if instead of all the free stuff they just charged $80 for an XBox :) ...Oh, I'm so poor :haha:

*lives off the money his parents give him*

Havoc2049
10-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by cobi40-50
this is really cool, i was gonna wait til panzer dragoon orta to pick up an xbox, but my plans might change now that this great deal is in place. my only complaint is that the other game is sega gt. would it kill them to put in gun valkyrie instead? oh, well it's still a free game in the end :2happy:

btw, ms is doing this here but the rumor is that in japan they are gonna offer panzer dragoon orta as a pack in game!! this reminds me of when sega was selling their saturn with 3 free games, coincidentally enough, that was when i bought that system :D hard to argue with a good value!

Gunvalkyrie is my second favorite Xbox game behind Halo. Only real gamers can beat the last boss, damn was the last boss hard, but in a good way.:D If you do get the bundle, you can probably find a good used copy of GV, or find a new one for $30 or $40.

The three game Saturn bundle is also when I bought my Saturn.
Hard to pass up VF2, VC2 and Daytona USA. Wasn't it only $99?

Havoc2049
10-15-2002, 01:51 PM
The Xbox bundle is while supplies last. The free DVD remote is until Nov. 2nd.

Kid0_oIcarus
10-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Yeah, heard about this- $199 (around $100 for the two free games savings) that's a sweet deal for a console.. too bad it's the 'box. Looks like MS doesn't want to go down without a fight this holiday season...

I wonder what Sony will do.. if anything..

You can get a (purple.. yech) GC + Super Mario Sunshine + a Memory Card 59 for $189 ($40 more than the console alone, but $25 dollar savings overall)

I would've thought though- that they would've bundled that with the Xbox Live kit instead.. thought- they probably expect that to sell better than JSRF and Sega GT did I guess...

Nindalf
10-15-2002, 02:18 PM
What you mean purple yech? I got purple GC and it goes perfectly with my purple GBA and purple link cables and purple controllers...okay im beginning to see a pattern here...

but anyway...good to see you Kid0_oIcarus!

crazytaxinext
10-16-2002, 10:11 AM
I got a Purple GC and a Black GC and the Purple one is miles better looking. after all these years black is about as bland as you can get.

Kid0_oIcarus
10-16-2002, 10:39 AM
I'd take a more blish looking purple.. which is what I thought it'd turn out to be.. but instead it's like alight plum color.. dull and bland.. black is unoriginal, I agree- but they didn't have the spicy organe.. which I would've taken over black. I still want a Q the most though.. I'm waiting to see what the Q2 looks like....

Oh and hi Nin! Glad to know somebody realized I was gone! :D Finally got Animal Crossing!! :cool guy:

DBJAY
10-16-2002, 11:02 AM
What about the "platinum" GC? That is the best looking one of the bunch.

I saw on other forums that people have picked up the new bundles. They put JSRF and Sega GT on one disc! That got me to thinking that Sega should start collecting all their games that don't sell well, like Beach Spikers, and start bundling them together with other games.

blueskied
10-20-2002, 02:59 AM
I have an orange Gamecube and it's fantastic. I looked at all 3 colors here at a store in japan and Orange was definitely the best (at least in my opinion).

cheers!