PDA

View Full Version : Power Stone coming to PSP

Sinful Sam
02-18-2006, 04:54 AM
A pair of oft-overlooked Dreamcast brawlers are getting a second chance at life later this year in the form of a portable compilation. Capcom today announced Power Stone Collection for the PSP, a one-two punch of Power Stone and Power Stone 2. The game is set for a North American release in the fourth quarter of 2006.

The Power Stone series of 3D fighters eschewed the dense layers of strategy one might find in a franchise like Virtua Fighter in favor of a more frantic, lighthearted take on the genre. One of the series' big selling points was its array of interactive environments, which sought to deliver the simple thrill of beating people up with whatever furniture was at hand. For Power Stone 2, Capcom upped the chaos inherent to the series' fights by adding four-player melees to the mix.

Capcom is promising a number of enhancements and revisions for both games, starting with ad hoc wireless multiplayer battles using just one copy of the game. Both titles will also feature a number of new weapons and a new camera system designed with the PSP in mind; players will be able to toggle between wide, close, and midrange views of the action in the middle of a fight.

There are also a number of game-specific enhancements included. The original Power Stone's roster will be joined by the four new characters from Power Stone 2, and the game's interface has also been overhauled with redesigned health bars and arrows on the radar screen indicating the location of loose power stones. For Power Stone 2, Capcom is including an adventure mode that retains the original's item creation mechanic with several new items added to the mix, and a Bomber Battle minigame that wasn't included in the Dreamcast version of the game.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6144541.html

Nephlabobo
02-18-2006, 05:21 AM
You beat me to it.

Oh well.

Between Tenchu, Suikoden 1 and 2, Wipeout, Katamari and Powerstone, there's almost enough games to warrant a purchase of the PSP!

Now if Atlus will put out something in English.......I'm sold.

Escaflowne2001
02-18-2006, 07:31 AM
The PSP is a nice little money spinner for Capcom it seems with not so much work.

Beam
02-18-2006, 02:00 PM
if capcom wanted to make some money they should've released the game to a home console like the xbox or the game cube.it's easy to invite friends over to have a brawl but not everyone is going to have a psp.and anyone who has played the dc version knows the characters get really small from the draw away distance, the game is going to be horrid.

C4RL
02-18-2006, 03:36 PM
This is awesome. All it needs now is Virtua Fighter, Onimusha, and Silent Hill. handhelds are taking over.

Alucard
02-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh its awesome. Please pay us full price to play games that are already out for a cheaper price, of games you've most likely played before but you'll lap it up anyway cause its portable lol!

Messanic
02-18-2006, 04:07 PM
While I can't recall any actual original games from Capcom on the PSP, they have still done pretty well with them, especially the new old Megaman games and Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX. The only PSP ports that I can say I was dissappointed with were the Rockman Dash games.

Escaflowne2001
02-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Please pay us full price to play games that are already out for a cheaper price, of games you've most likely played before but you'll lap it up anyway cause its portable lol!

Doubt it'll be full price Breath Of Fire III wasn't, plus Dreamcasts are gone hardly anyone has one anymore better to have them on the PSP.

Plus having a quick look on ebay Power Stone 2 on it's own goes for about ?15, it's most likely be cheapier getting them on the PSP then seperately on the dreamcast at this point.

Vegetto
02-18-2006, 11:37 PM
ditto

Oh its awesome. Please pay us full price to play games that are already out for a cheaper price, of games you've most likely played before but you'll lap it up anyway cause its portable lol!

*snicker*

Nephlabobo
02-19-2006, 02:38 AM

But when it's a console game that's ported to PC - THAT'S okay, right?

:rolleyes:

Vegetto
02-19-2006, 03:30 AM
Alucard usually hates console to PC games from what I recall

Alucard
02-19-2006, 03:36 AM
Thats right. Why for play them there when I've already played them on the console? Recently someone was saying MGS3 should go pc and I was saying SNORT. I usually play my console games on consoles and PC games on PC, cause I actually have the luxury of enjoying both markets and not being a one sided whore :D

Nephlabobo
02-19-2006, 05:39 AM
Why is it that people who don't like PC gaming are whores exactly?

Alucard
02-19-2006, 05:52 AM
They are whores because they whore themselves to one platform and have little reason not to be playing games on the other one. Its no different to people hopping around saying lol Nintendo console is all I need, theres nothing on the sony consoles I want to play etc.

Seraph
02-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Could somebody explain Power Stone to me?

When I bought my used Dreamcast I payed $50 for this old game, because I heard it was one of DC's best titles. And I admit, the sound of an anime party brawler sounded fun.

But if i remember right you had 1 button to attack, and you pretty much just mashed it. It wasnt even like smash bros where that one button gave you a bunch of attacks. Then all that was left was to throw boxes at eachother. Probably one of my most disapointing moments in videogame history. Paying all that money for a "rare classic" and then me and 2 of my freinds sitting down and getting sick of it within an hour.

Alucard
02-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Yeah, 1 was pretty basic. For 2 they added a cool side scrolling platform style game. But these games were only really fun with other people playing with you. I mean you throw a box at your friends characters head and he'd be all like WTF and you'd be like pwned. Pwer Stone is a fun game. But I just dont see the attraction as a handheld one.

Nephlabobo
02-19-2006, 07:48 AM
They'd be incredibly stupid not to include some sort of multiplayer on this. There's going to be some sort of online play for this.

It could actually work quite well.

They are whores because they whore themselves to one platform and have little reason not to be playing games on the other one. Its no different to people hopping around saying lol Nintendo console is all I need, theres nothing on the sony consoles I want to play etc.

I understand your point, but nowadays there's just not that much I want to play on PC. Occasionally I see something that looks interesting - I tried that Alice in Wonderland game but I didn't care for it that much. FEAR looks good and I may give it a try sometime soon....but that's about it.

PC games are largely strategy games like Rome Total War or FPS - neither of which particularly interest me.

The last really fun PC game I played was Grim Fandango. PC gaming just doesn't cater to the kinds of games I like right now.

As for me, I have 3 consoles in my house right now - Sega, Sony and Nintendo. Four if you count my GBA.

Sinful Sam
02-19-2006, 07:53 AM
One thing I hate about playing handheld multiplayer games is trying to find more people who have the same game around with them. At least with the DS you can download some multiplayer games although it could take awhile for it to download. If this game includes online play it could work out I guess.

Alucard
02-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Neph, have you checked the thread in the PC section that Decado put up with all those games coming out this year for the PC? Saying the PC is mostly strategy games and FPS is not really correct. The home of the adventure game is on the PC aswell. Theres just a hell of alot of stuff on the PC. I also never bothered to play Alice either.

But one thing you should remember is just because a game is in the genre you arent a big fan of, doesnt mean you shouldnt try some games in it. I mean I'm no action lover. Games like Onimusha and DMC, not really my thing. KH, **** that off. But if I never tried out games that looked sorta interesting, I'd have never played God of War, despite loathing the genre, that game is one of th ebest I've played.

Escaflowne2001
02-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Aren't you planing on buying the console game Condemned on the PC?

Alucard
02-19-2006, 09:56 AM
I said I was curious about the game. But if I got it for PC it would be because of one of two reasons. PC version better, or I aint bothering to buy a console that has 1 good game on it. Only game I played that went from console to PC was Riddick. And I would of played the xbox version, since I had one at the time, had I not seen how brilliantly better it looked on a PC.

Escaflowne2001
02-19-2006, 12:23 PM
heh heh...

Alucard
02-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Also Condemned is a FPS style. Only retards and poor people play FPS games on a console.

Halo.

Escaflowne2001
02-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Your just bitter because you find it harder using a controller then a keyboard.

Alucard
02-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Never! I find it more retarded. Its like being used to a control pad and then being told to use a keyboard only <No mouse, specifically fighting games>. Wtf? Why for go from something easier to something stupider? Oh sure I could learn to use it. But having the option, would you? Hell no. Joypad is good. Just not for FPS. Thats stupid. If the console fps games didnt have auto aiming, you lot would be throwing your controllers at the walls by now.

I can play with a controller. Trashed my console friend at many fps games on his xbox. Did I enjoy myself? No.