PDA

View Full Version : How come games like Super Robot Taisen Impact don't get released here in the US?

Investor27
04-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Just wondering why Sony won't released this genre of games when they are doing so well overseas.

testtubebaby
04-27-2002, 10:00 PM
alot of games that do well overseas don't come here... think about Megami Tensei and Sakura Taisen

Overlord
04-27-2002, 10:07 PM
Some devs are worried that new and more original games might flop with it comes over here. So they don't want to risk losing money by translating and localization.

...But some devs do take the chance, like Fresh Games. They brought over Mr. Mosquito and Mad Maestro.

testtubebaby
04-27-2002, 10:10 PM
yea, the botique-style publishing houses are the only hope for really unique titles... fresh games, atlus, working designs...

though sony has been known to surprise us at times... think parappa...

Overlord
04-27-2002, 10:19 PM
though sony has been known to surprise us at times... think parappa...

Don't forget ICO!

...And yeah, if I remember correctly, Parapper did well over here. It even started the music based games that we have been getting lately.

Though I think that Parapper 2 bombed this time.

testtubebaby
04-27-2002, 10:22 PM
both um jammer lammy and parappa 2's sales paled in comparison to parappa's...

and ico... mmm, that's a masterpiece... and it probably would have passed us by with no fanfare had it not been for the raving of websites and bbs' about how amazing it is... sometimes i don't think american marketers know how to sell these "unique" games to an american audience...

Overlord
04-27-2002, 10:27 PM
A lot of people always asks for games that are original and unique. But when they give us a game like that, barely anyone even buys it. Remember Glover? So they just stop trying.

...And then they say they don't games that play like movies. But than when you look at the sales charts, there?s games just like that on the top 5.

Investor27
04-28-2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by alexhho
Just wondering why Sony won't released this genre of games when they are doing so well overseas.

Man! I, for one, would love to see Sakura Taisen and Super Robot Taisen Impact translated for release here. I purchased my Dreamcast hoping that the Sakura Taisen series will be released here in the US. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I do hope that any other company besides Working Designs would port those two series over. Working Designs takes forever to do a game/series. I know that the arguments for them would be that at least these games get released here thanks to Working Designs. But I just wish that there exists more competition, more companies willing to do the translations in a timely fashion.

Seska
04-28-2002, 03:44 AM

Man! I, for one, would love to see Sakura Taisen and Super Robot Taisen Impact translated for release here. I purchased my Dreamcast hoping that the Sakura Taisen series will be released here in the US. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I do hope that any other company besides Working Designs would port those two series over.

I can understand why Games of the like of Growlancer/ Sakura Taisen and even Tokimeki memorial aren't being ported over to the us market. They tried introducing the genre with Azure Dreams (a pseudo dating/RPG game from Konami) and Thousand Arms (same thing, but from Atlus), and neither of them did too well. Then again, IMHO, neither of them were too good either. Things might have been different if they had tried porting Sakura Taisen, but as a result the opinion seems to be that such games don't do well outside of Japan.

Turn based strategy games in the style of Robot Wars, do get ported every now and then overseas. Front Mission 3 is a shining example of this, and recently there was Advanced wars for the GBA. The reason Robot wars might not be ported is because it contains a lot of pop culture references, specifically to robot anime shows in Japan, half of which are never seen overseas.

I guess we can only hope that the interest in such games some day picks up and we get to see more titles ported.

THX 1138
04-28-2002, 11:17 AM
I think BAM! Entertainment is trying to put a dent in the dilemma you have described.

Investor27
04-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Which games is BAM! Entertainment trying to port over? It's okay to port over games with cultural differences as long as we here have some exposure to the genre that is being ported. There's been a lot of robot anime here in the US since the early 80s. (i.e., Tranzor Z, Voltron, Robotech, Gundam and others. These few already represent an amazing, ecletic collection of cultural differences, spanning from the 70s to present. The rest of the robot anime series that we have not seen that are on Super Robot Taisen Impact, we can get to know, and will enjoy the new addition as we progress into the game itself.

ATMA
04-28-2002, 01:44 PM
It has to do with different point of view if you ask me !! I mean japanese devolpers knows that in the states and also europe most of the time games with alot of violence and shooting and stuff those games sells well ..And i think they are affraid to put some game ..like that dating game or that game on the DC that just got out ..you have to raise or learn REI AYANAMI(NEON GENESIS EVANGELION) things about life and stuff ..They think those type of games won't sell or do very well ..And it's not cheap to translate a game so i think they are alittle afraid in the spending money sector !
Plus in the japa land it's rpg puzzle, dance type of game, and dating games those games always perform great on the sales charts ,But i don't think a dating game won't do verry well outside the japa land ..Imagine a guy playing 1st person shooter all day and all of a sudden he's playing a dating game (sure it's possible i mean a game is a game )..but you have to admit those type of game won't do verry good in the states !! And than you have culture difference also playing a big role in these type of situations !!! So that's why i think it's a different point of view situation !!

Investor27
04-28-2002, 03:12 PM
Good point, ATMA.

teepo
04-28-2002, 04:31 PM
i'd have to say it's because america isn't westernized. it would be nice for the costumers to get sakura wars, robot taisen, etc but the sale figure for the company wouldn't be nice. hopefully if anime becomes more mainstream, there might a better chance for these titles to hit the states. quiet frankly, im glad we dont get most of the crap that comes out in japan.

Investor27
04-28-2002, 04:43 PM
What do you mean Americans are not Westernized? Anime has quite a following here in the US. We have a cable station called Toonamie. Anime like Princess Monoke has made it to our silver-screen. Akira is considered a cult-classic amongst us, and it even received 2 thumbs up from Sickle and Ebert. Gundam action figures, Pokemon videogames and 3 movies and action figures have been saturating our shores for years. So I don't understand the points you were making.

Jagt_Mirage
04-29-2002, 06:27 PM
I don't think games like SRW would do well here in North America just because its a system seller in Japan. Half (some people would argue more than that) the fun of Super Robot Wars is the nostalgia associated with the various giant robot shows. Since most people in NA didn't grow up watching most of these shows they just really won't get it. Another problem is the licensing, SRW is probably the hardest game to port because so many companies have rights to parts of the game (granted Bandai has a huge chunk of the series in the game), and it would be quite the headache to convince all of them to localize it to NA.

Alkaizer
04-29-2002, 08:26 PM
there is noway its coming to us......:D
maybe it will come in arabic;) we have cool voice actors:D

folken001
04-30-2002, 09:56 AM

I would say it's because not many American have watched the anime those robots are from. I think games like super robot taisen counts on animes' popluarity quite much.