PDA

View Full Version : Annoying people on the Internet becomes illegal

Nindalf
01-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else."
It's illegal to annoy

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Buried deep in the new law is Sec. 113, an innocuously titled bit called "Preventing Cyberstalking." It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

lol best law ever

Anti-Fanboi
01-09-2006, 02:30 PM
This presidency can't end soon enough. In the broader picture this is just another example of politicians legislating everything to validate their existence so they can fleece us. The Supreme Court will take care of this if it is ever presented with a case using this against the defendant.

Nindalf
01-09-2006, 02:32 PM
You annoy me. Identify yourself or I'm calling the coppers.

da missinlink
01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
so basically anyone can get sued in forums now in days... its not hard to fake annoyance an most times unless the people talk via pms or ims names are unknown... which just makes the law ptless, but helpful if you want money an can track down people...

Anti-Fanboi
01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
For all you know I could already be in jail.

Alucard
01-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Does this mean Vert is going to jail for life?

da missinlink
01-09-2006, 02:56 PM
so basically the safest thing now is to have an intro in your sig sayin, "Hello, my name is Joe Schmo an I will be annoyin you today an since you know my name you cant stop me :haha: "

Joe Redifer
01-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I can still hand the smack down to all of you people since I post under my real name! I am therefore invincible on the internet!

PS - You all suck! :)

Nindalf
01-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Me too since I don't have to follow dumb American laws.

PS - You all suck! :)

justin_credible
01-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm 1/2 way there. Just gotta change my last name to Credible.

Drunken Savior
01-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Stupid Law.

Drunken Savior
01-09-2006, 05:41 PM
My Double Post of annoyance laughs at you.

Soba
01-09-2006, 06:12 PM
0m9 d15 l4w 15 t3h pwnz0rz lolololololol!!!!!!!!!1111111111oneoneoneone roffles

Reko8
01-09-2006, 06:21 PM
:kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :haha: :haha: :haha: :kill: :kill: :kill: :cool:

It symbolises something just look closely

FoolishOne9k2
01-09-2006, 07:16 PM
its not liek this law is going ot be enforced AT all. i mean with the amount of flaming on the internet (i flame out like 10 people a day) it would require TEAMS of people just to prosecute one person. let alone everyone on the internet.

the space waster of annoyance

*level up*
you gain 5 awesomeness points

you learn annoyance level 4!

you gain 5 pieces of currency

you annoy people who read this.

Alexander
01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Square-Enix sux0rs and i hate haloz and i think mainstreme n00bs are just stupid lol haha i hate world of BOREcraft because only blizzard kiddies play it i play JADE EMPIRe and I ACTUALLY get it.

omygod i love usher

-Alexander Jennings

FinalSolace2
01-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Bush yer a feg and two figers up to you *******...

i really want him to start world war 3- please do it, its the only thing that can destroy this move to controlling every aspect of our daily lives.

Hepheastus
01-09-2006, 08:32 PM
How would they enforce this?
The courts will be so backed up with this garbage.

da missinlink
01-09-2006, 09:28 PM
my view is annoyin over internet should be annonymous cause you get notin outa it.... h/e its more fun annoyin people in person cause of the reward of how they look when they get pissed... an i should know because i went outa my way in high school to piss people off to see how the react, it was my personal experiment an by the time i was done wit hs i had enough info to write a thesis on human personalities an emotions an how bein annoyed can cause drastic changes in them... my russian class was fun because of who funny the reactions of the people were :spinface: