PDA

View Full Version : New Words Added To The Dictionary!

Overlord
10-06-2002, 07:40 PM
By Cathryn Conroy, Netscape News Editor

This is how you can tell the English language is alive and well on Planet Earth: We're creating new words. A lot of them. So many that two leading dictionaries on both sides of the Atlantic--the venerable Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary--have added new words to their pages. Read this and update your vocabulary.

anoraky: Socially inept and studious or obsessive person with unfashionable and largely solitary interests
bad ass: A tough, aggressive, or uncooperative person; a trouble-maker
bling-bling: the wearing of expensive designer clothing and flashy jewelry
booty: buttocks
bootylicious: Thanks to Destiny's Child, this is a description of exceptional booty. The song lyrics that changed the dictionary: "Cause my body too bootylicious for ya babe"
bunny-boiler: a vindictive woman (see Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction")
bunny-hugger: conservationist or animal lover
chick-flick: movies that appeal to women
chick-lit: books that appeal to women
gearhead: car enthusiast
hottie: a physically attractive person
noogie: the prank of rubbing your knuckles on somebody's head
treehugger: an environmentalist
roadrage: a motorist's uncontrolled anger that is usually generated by an irritating act of another motorist and is expressed by aggressive or violent behavior
spinmeister: An expert at presenting information or events to the media in a favorable light.

-Source. (http://channels.netscape.com/ns/new/html/live/scoop/im/9.html)

-Further info on "bootylicious". (http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,100368~4~~,00.html)

Your Thoughts?

gabriel
10-06-2002, 08:00 PM
I doubt the validity of your claims :P Most of those are pop-slang terms, which wouldnt be included in any respectable dictionary since pop-anything is always changing. There are dictionaries that include slang and "swears" but you wont find them in Webter's or Oxford's. I doubt "bling-bling" and "bootylicious" will be in use 10 years from now... at least I hope not.

Note: Anyone who uses any of those expressions in serious context is an idiot :P

Overlord
10-06-2002, 08:02 PM
gabriel:
I doubt the validity of your claims

But this from the official news editor of Netscapes website! She wouldn't lie, now would she?

gabriel
10-06-2002, 08:07 PM
I think it's quite apparent that she would :)

Overlord
10-06-2002, 08:16 PM
That :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:!

Drunken Savior
10-07-2002, 05:37 PM
Your just trying to be a bad ass.

(Gives Gabriel a noogie)

BTW...regardless, the words may or may not be in the dictionary, but I too would doubt to see them in any scholoarly science journal. An essay, perhaps (noteably MINE) or a speech (Like Bill Clinton's.....he'd use booty) is where I'd expect them to pop up.