PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 3 -- Xbox Time Exclusive?

Overlord
09-30-2002, 08:41 PM
Xbox Gamers:
The next title in Konami's Metal Gear Solid action series has been snagged by Microsoft for an undisclosed period of Xbox exclusivity, sources have suggested. Though this would mean the title would still appear on other formats, Xbox would host the title exclusively for a period of time.

Highly placed insiders have stated that Microsoft originally tried to gain the title for Xbox outright, but when the deal fell through, Microsoft apparently splashed out enough cash to ensure it still appears on Xbox first.

This report follows hot on the heels of Microsoft's acquisition of UK developer Rare, and rumours that it is looking into purchasing Capcom, with Bill Gates's company clearly intent on going to extraordinary lengths to ensure Xbox is a success.

-Source. (http://www.xboxgamers.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1033409028,40533,)

Your Thoughts?

Kid0_oIcarus
09-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Losuy grumble money-grubbing grumble grumble throwing cash around grumble.

This isn't like those Sega "limited time" exclusives that never see the light of day on other consoles, is it!?

metroidman
09-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Wonder if theyll release this one in japan:P

DBJAY
10-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Your thinking of Sony swiping the GTA series away from Xbox and Cube. Konami will release MSG3 on PS2 after it's Xbox debut, unlike Rockstar and Edios with Tomb Raider.

Zod
10-01-2002, 10:15 PM
I feel bad for the Japanese and Kojima's "love" for them.

So Sony got GTA 3? Big frickin' deal. You got DOA 3 and others only on the X-Box, so why are you complaining? Hell by this time next year, X-Box might have 99% of all releases exclusively, but will still gripe over not getting a GTA game. Get over it.

DBJAY
10-02-2002, 12:17 PM
Just making the observation that Sony, Nintendo, and MS are all using their cash to get 3rd party exclusives so it is a double standard to look down on MS for doing exactly what Sony and Nintendo have done.

Cobi*
10-04-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by DBJAY
Just making the observation that Sony, Nintendo, and MS are all using their cash to get 3rd party exclusives so it is a double standard to look down on MS for doing exactly what Sony and Nintendo have done.

dude, this is the xbox discussion board :rolleyes:

i'm a little surprised that sony let it slip to microsoft. maybe it might have something to do with mgs not reaching sales expectations?

Canton
10-04-2002, 03:43 AM
This is a surprise move on Konami's part!

Didn't they cancel the release of MGS:Substance in Japan?

Also, it is ironic that MS is accused of "throwing cash" around to secure exclusives. Sony burned DC on Tomb Raider, Nintendo burned Sony on RE, seems like a lot of throwing cash around to me.

Havoc2049
10-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Ya, exclusives are nothing new. That is why the Atari 2600 won the very first console war. They had all the hot arcade games at the time, from Atari themselves and the hot games from Bally/Midway and Williams.

As for MGS3, it looks like it will have to be REALLY good to pass Splinter Cell in the stealth/action military genre. Splinter Cell looks like it will be an excellent game. Ubi Soft has some really talented people up there in Quebec.(just send me $10.00 in the mail, BlackBahamut):D

aneep
10-04-2002, 08:23 PM
i for one don't believe this is going to happen
at least thats what my common sense tells me

but
Kojima have been quoted how he wish he could just take Splinter Cell and call it MGS X (AKA a new MGS)

and, since Splinter Cell is debuting on the Xbox, i think the best way to compete is do a game from ground up on the Xbox 1st

way too tenous of an excuse i know :)
and oh i forgot, there's that little thing about MS money...

-aneep-

Kid0_oIcarus
10-05-2002, 06:09 PM
What- that the more people have, the more they tend to want?

Anyway, securing exclusives is nothing new- but what I want to know is when Sega will decide to release their "limited" Xbox exclusives on other consoles... just because some didn't sell as good as they could've or should've is not always the fault of the game....