PDA

View Full Version : First Panzer DO review and more info

Havoc2049
09-30-2002, 01:55 PM
It seems like most hardcore gamers are looking forward to Panzer Dragoon Orta. It sounds like some people in this forum might buy an Xbox just for this game alone. It looks like it might be a good one. PDO just recieved the third highest score ever, in the Official Xbox Magazine(US version).

Halo: 9.5
Dead or Alive 3: 9.5
Panzer Dragoon Orta: 9.3
Jet Set Radio Future: 9.2

Quote from the last paragraph of the big five page review:

"Is it really all that? But Orta's still an on rails shooter, right? It's more eye candy than actual game - true? Sure, yes, right. But then your overlooking the reason why we play games in the first place - for escape, for a unique experience, to be transported to a world crafted completely out of imagination. And Orta does this better than almost any other game on Xbox to date. It's a game that couldn't work without any of its individual parts. With such a fanatical following of series' devotees, Smilebit and Sega have a lot to live up to with Panzer Dragoon Orta. Not only did they have to deliver in terms of graphics, but the gameplay and storyline had to exceed expectations. We're happy to say that, with all its beauty and inspiration, Orta leaves all expectations in the dust."

Another cool feature, the original Saturn version of Panzer Dragoon will be included with PDO. Is that cool or what? This will be the third Sega game that includes a bonus. Shenmue II will have the Shenmue movie, House of Dead III will have HOD II and now PDO will have the original Panzer Dragoon. Very cool. Sega deserves to sell a gazillion games this holiday season and knock Electronic A#@wipes from the top spot.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-30-2002, 02:26 PM
Sweet! Now lets keep the numbers high with reviews from other "unofficial" sources...

aneep
09-30-2002, 05:03 PM
nice

-aneep-

mxgame
10-02-2002, 10:29 AM
I am seriously considering buying this game. I never owned a Sega Saturn(hey, stop throwing rocks) and they didn't release one on the Dreamcast. This seems like a perfect time to pick up two of the games in the series.

DBJAY
10-02-2002, 11:19 AM
Hopefully the delay, for "extra content" will also include Panzer Dragoon 2. This is on my must buy list for 2003.

Seska
10-03-2002, 07:26 PM
So the reviewer admits its still a shooter on rails that offers mostly eyecandy. Then dais that it delivers in gameplay more than expected.

Um... kinda contradictory, I'd think, if the gameplay is like that of the saturn version. :p

But Im not too surprised, it is an official Xbox MAgazine review, like they'd say anything BAD about it. ;)

Ill wait for other reviews to pop up. Im sure it will be a great game, in fact I dont doubt it, but I'll trust a review from someone who isnt talking out of his ass just cause hes the first to get to review it.

Reminds me of Harry "Jar Jar rocks! No, wait, he doesnt!" Knowles. :p

Alucard
10-04-2002, 01:11 AM
Well in the end this game is going to be awesome. PD 1 was excellent. PD 2 rocked. PDS was awesome. So I'm pretty sure the 4th installment will continue the tradition. This is the game I'll be buying an XBox for.

aneep
10-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Seska
err a rail shooter can' have gameplay?
im confused ???

-aneep-

metroidman
10-07-2002, 08:14 PM
PDO just recieved the third highest score ever, in the Official Xbox Magazine(US version).

I DONT DOUBT IT WILL BE GOOD BUT I HAVE A FEELING THEY MIGHT BE A LITTLE BIASED.

:eek:

Kid0_oIcarus
10-08-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by metroidman
I DONT DOUBT IT WILL BE GOOD BUT I HAVE A FEELING THEY MIGHT BE A LITTLE BIASED.

:eek:

rotflol :haha:

Havoc2049
10-08-2002, 03:06 PM
The Official Xbox Magazine isn't owned by Microsoft, like Nintendo Power is owned by Nintendo. OXM is done by the same people who did Official Dreamcast Magazine. The same company also does PSM, for the Sony Playstation. If you ever read the Official Dreamcast Magazine or OXM, then you would know, if a game sucks, they will say so. Out of the last three American Football games for the Xbox, the Microsoft one was rated the lowest. OXM isn't your grand daddy's Nintendo Power.:D
<puts on flame retardent suit>

Nindalf
10-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Xbox fan magazine none the less

Kid0_oIcarus
10-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Eh. You said "grandaddy's" so all is forgiven.. that and I don't read NP...

Mikeru83
10-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Here's the thing, what expectations did any of us have? It's Panzer Dragoon. You know it'll have dragons. You know it's going to be a rail shooter. You know Sega/Smile bit will put in a solid effort. And you know it HAS to look good (It's on the X-Box, what else?) or people will be bashing on it forEVER.

So... What stands out from those expectations?

As for Sega beating EA, that'll take them a while. Unless Sega starts producing clones of the Sims, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, etc. etc. There's a reason why EA is so popular.

Havoc2049
10-10-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Mikeru83

As for Sega beating EA, that'll take them a while. Unless Sega starts producing clones of the Sims, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, etc. etc. There's a reason why EA is so popular.

Ya, I know EA will stay number one, I was just being sarcastic.
Sega deserves to be number one though, especially on the Xbox, where EA is the king of lazy/make a quick buck ports.

Mikeru83
10-11-2002, 01:51 AM
Heh... I know. But that's what happens you have such a big control of the market. And not to make assumptions, but if you reversed the situation, don't you think Sega would do the same? At least with their sports franchises? Konami does it with their games. Capcom does it too. Etc.

Havoc2049
10-11-2002, 05:19 AM
Some EA Xbox ports are so bad though, they are worse than the original. Need for Speed II is a perfect example.
From Gamespot review:
Xbox and GameCube versions of Hot Pursuit II have slightly detuned graphics, mushier controls, and inexplicably, a variety of minute but tangible ommissions from the PlayStation 2 game.

Kid0_oIcarus
10-11-2002, 08:27 AM
That's because the ports where started after the fact, and handled by different development teams- with obviously very little communication going on between the teams. That and money- PS2 has more installed user base. Lousy money. *shakes fist at money*

Mikeru83
10-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Icarus is right. The reason the ports of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 sucks is because it was ported by another company. Surprisingly though, the company who made the port for X-Box happens to be EA Studios. LOL

Guess AtariX has a point.