PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive interview from Stamper brothers -- Killer Instinct + Blast Corp For Xbox!!

Overlord
09-29-2002, 09:49 PM
This is from an interview taken by the Greek site gamelife.gr at X02.It's a very interesting interview,much bigger than the other ones.Here's the link:http://www.gamelife.gr/news_show.asp?nid=646(it's all in Greek so here's the rough translation made by me-i am Greek):
Q:Which of the franchise that Rare owns do you intend on using?
Tim Stamper:With one word...everything!!We've allready mentioned Kameo,we've confirmed perfect dark-which we will show in playable form at E32003-and Banjo Kazooie.We will create at least one more title in the style of conker's bad fur day,titles based on blast corps and killer instict,and 2-3 original ideas that we can't yet reveal.

Bassically this interview is the most interesting one i have read about the Rare issue and the fact that it is on a Greek site makes me happy.Sorry but i can't translate the whole thing-it's huge.Anyway another important thing is that Rare will remain independant and that M$ won't put pressure on them,rare will make the games it wants to.The only thing tht changes is the platform those game will be.

-Source 1. (http://www.xboxclubhouse.com/showthread.php?threadid=12877)

-Source 2. (http://www.gamelife.gr/news_show.asp?nid=646)

Your Thoughts?

Black Ace
09-30-2002, 12:49 AM
OMG! A new freakin Blast Corp game! Someone pinch me. :P

Kid0_oIcarus
09-30-2002, 10:05 AM
OMG Rare isn't on the GC anymore? :rolleyes:

I thought the Stamper bros. were leaving the industry!?

DBJAY
09-30-2002, 12:43 PM
A title "based" on Killer Instinct? So it could be a fighter or a platformer?

I don't think the Stamper fellows would leave now that their company has taken a new direction.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-30-2002, 03:24 PM
But wasn't that the whole point of the selling of the shares?

DBJAY
09-30-2002, 05:31 PM
The point may have been that the Stamper bros. wanted to move on from working for Nintendo, and now that they have the resources of MS behind them, it might have been worth it to stay.

aneep
09-30-2002, 06:01 PM
truth be told i was assuming that they are leaving the industry too

who knows, maybe they had a change of heart

-aneep-

Cobi*
09-30-2002, 06:17 PM
stamper bros. never heard of 'em. are they supposed to be a rip-off of the mario bros.? :confused:

a new killer instinct ya-hoo!! um, rare? if yer listening, would it be too much to ask that you rerelease arcade perfect versions of killer instinct 1 and 2 as well?

IoriYagami n8
10-01-2002, 02:33 AM
Like DBJAY pointed out, saying games based on something is different then saying sequal. Unless Nintendo sold Killer Instinct to Rare then they don't have the rights to make such a game. Blast Corps I don't know about. But I do know that Killer Instinct is registered to Nintendo. As I said, its possible that they sold it to Rare for more cash. But when you say games based on Killer Instinct and Blast Corps it sounds more or less like your using the work you did on those games to promote similar games. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that. But getting a game based on Killer Instinct isn't getting Killer Instinct. To be honest, it's probably the closest you would get to it again, I don't see Nintendo following up with the series. Of course, with their recent interest in having third parties develope some key titles, perhaps they will drop a Killer Instinct game the way of Capcom or Namco.

crazytaxinext
10-01-2002, 08:40 AM
Blastcorps 2=Yay
Killer Instinct 3=Shoot me. This fighting style is dead. Any changes and it isn't KI. Some things just shouldn't come back.

DBJAY
10-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Namco certainly could do a good fighter with the KI characters.

FYI, the Stamper brothers are real people, not fictional like Mario bros.

baratus
10-01-2002, 01:57 PM
It's funny, but when uncle Tusk was asked about a possible KI game for the GC, he said they wouldn't work on it until
they could bring something new to the genre. But now all of a sudden they are planning a KI game for the Xbox... sounds like
their aliance with M$ has suddendly filled them with bright and innovative ideas... :rolleyes:
I'm just saying you know, don't go now and start bombarding me with offensive replies.

Kid0_oIcarus
10-01-2002, 03:24 PM
Yeah- I saw that too.

Really though, we'll just ahve to see what their Xbox games are like- they're certainly capable of still producing good games.

baratus
10-01-2002, 09:59 PM
I just wanted DK Racing from Rare, they shouldn't have cancelled you know.

MaJiN-ChRiS
10-02-2002, 07:44 AM
I am looking forward to Blast Corp's but not Killer Instinct.

How bad was Killer Instinct Gold.

Black Ace
10-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by DBJAY
The point may have been that the Stamper bros. wanted to move on from working for Nintendo, and now that they have the resources of MS behind them, it might have been worth it to stay.

Not true, at all. They wanted to sell off the company to Nintendo last year, but Nintendo didn't want to buy them out fully. Don't know where you pick up that fanboy statement about them wanting to leave Nintendo. The resource of MS behind them and thats make it a worth stay? Geez, Rare is not Tecmo. Tecmo has it head up Microsoft anal crevice a long time ago.

DBJAY
10-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Then why is Rygar on the PS2?

Kid0_oIcarus
10-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Rygar is on the console where he would get more face time- it will be more accessible, thus strengthening the series. When was the last Rygar game made?

To your question I, in turn, ask you-

Where are Tecmo's most notable characters lately?

DBJAY
10-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Tecmo's decision for Rygar to be on the PS2 is likely to be the same reason why the Stamper Bros. decided not to retire, financial gain.

Obviously, Tecmo feels that Rygar is worth the effort to be done for the PS2. Likewise, the Stamper Bros. decision to remain in the game so to speak must have an origin. If it is MS backing and management that won them over, or if Rare is getting a better slice of the profits than before, there had to be some reason why they are not leaving the business that clearly is a result of their company's new status under MS Game Studios. Otherwise, even after coming under MS's wing, the Stamper Bros. could have easily walked away with a pretty nice golden parachute and lived out their days rolling in money. They did not, so the question then is why?

Kid0_oIcarus
10-02-2002, 05:00 PM
So... They aren't leaving the industry then??

aneep
10-02-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8
Like DBJAY pointed out, saying games based on something is different then saying sequal. Unless Nintendo sold Killer Instinct to Rare then they don't have the rights to make such a game. Blast Corps I don't know about. But I do know that Killer Instinct is registered to Nintendo. As I said, its possible that they sold it to Rare for more cash. But when you say games based on Killer Instinct and Blast Corps it sounds more or less like your using the work you did on those games to promote similar games. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that. But getting a game based on Killer Instinct isn't getting Killer Instinct. To be honest, it's probably the closest you would get to it again, I don't see Nintendo following up with the series. Of course, with their recent interest in having third parties develope some key titles, perhaps they will drop a Killer Instinct game the way of Capcom or Namco.

MS bought the rights to KI among other things

check all the related press releases

-aneep-

DBJAY
10-03-2002, 12:04 PM
I would bet that the Stamper Bros. will guide Rare for a few more years and then will retire after Rare is running smoothly as part of MS Game Studios.

Cobi*
10-04-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by crazytaxinext
Blastcorps 2=Yay
Killer Instinct 3=Shoot me. This fighting style is dead. Any changes and it isn't KI. Some things just shouldn't come back.

you've got a point. i'm not sure what a new killer instinct would be like, and if they made it 3d it wouldn't be killer instinct. killer instinct has always been about faux 3d not real 3d :D yeah, i would be excited about a new killer instinct but maybe i wouldn't run out to buy it before playing it first.