PDA

View Full Version : Beam's Quickie Reviews

Beam
10-15-2005, 11:32 AM
ok guys/gals i'll be doing quick reviews on games that some of you may have missed,and any other i might run across.i
whether or not the game is good or bad and i have played it i'll give you the info on it..
when i say quick review i really mean quick,so if you need an in-depth review i'm sure you'll find it in one of the other review threads.

first game:

METAL ARMS : GLITCH IN THE SYSTEM (multi-platform)

gameplay: kinda quirky at times but solid if you like run and shoot type of games.

graphics: subpar,you know the standard "make everything look the same no matter what console that you use" so that means that they were kinda bland looking.

fun level: single player game is kinda boring,but interesting enough to keep you playing though.the real fun only comes if you got three other players who are really into the shooter type thing.

overall: i give the overall package 4/10 it could have been better.

Revelade
10-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Well, your title doesn't lie!

As for Metal Arms... It was okay, but I found it just too repetitive and hard for me to enjoy. This mission, shoot and get to the end. Next mission, shoot and get to the end. There are some other missions like car-riding or defending, but it's mostly run and gun.

Multiplayer is terrible, because of it's high learning curve and no bots. Finally, the game is a good value at 40 levels.

Beam
10-16-2005, 05:32 PM
TALES OF SYMPHONIA (GCN)

gameplay: this is definitely not your usual rpg that's for sure.the battle (beware it contains plenty of button mashing) system takes a whole lot of getting used to and feels heavily like a side scrolling beat'em up.if you can get past the way that it plays then you'll be okay with it,but if not its doomed for the trade in value.

graphics: think cel-shaded dragonball z budoka,and you get the picture.it's a little too sugary for my tastes but at least the story line is good.

fun level: not very high when it is compared to other rpg's but it has enough twists and turns to keep a half smile on your face,plus it has 4-players at once for that secret of mana feelbut it doesn't quite pull it off.

overall:5/10: avoid this if you are not open minded to a different gameplay style and stick to what you know suits you better.because tales is not for everybody.(side note - if you liked namco's other button smashing rpg's you'll love this)

Sk8_or_DIE
10-16-2005, 06:11 PM
keep up the good work.. but i think you should of named this thread
"Bem's HARSH reviews"

Beam
10-20-2005, 09:25 AM
i tought about a harsh review thread,but .........i'd said i'd better keep'em short and to the point rather than be a "bashingu" about the negative points of games.i say if you like ia game you like it,forget what other people think .but so far so good.

and about tales of symphonia,the only real problem was with the battle system,because the graphics do tend to grow on you. :)

Seraph
10-20-2005, 12:49 PM
The battle system of ToS was one of the best parts for me. Alot more fun than MENU>MAGIC>FIRE3>BLUEIMP_3>EXECUTE.

Agamum
10-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I saw the word (quiky ) here and thought I would check it out :( not what I thought it was :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alucard
10-20-2005, 08:52 PM
BOO!! Symphonia was brilliant. I'm guessing you never played the older Tales Of games since you mention the gameplay?

Beam
10-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Alucard: BOO!! Symphonia was brilliant. I'm guessing you never played the older Tales Of games since you mention the gameplay?

i did play them but, i based by review on what i'm currently playing.and i hate to nitpick but i have to point out what i think other gamers should look out for that's all.but not to be a complete badger,the battle system has it's moments,although if you're new to the genre it may taint your tadte a little.

and i know what you're thinking:::

alucard: well, beam doesn't that mean that your taste it tainted as well?

beam: you know you have a good point there al,but when you have been gaming as long as we have, we learn to judge fairly not just on a 15 min. play session.

alucard: point well received beamer,but still don't you think your reviews are a tad bit harsh and focusing on the negatives.

beam: yeah they are so from here on out i'll focus on both sides of the coin.

now that we have that out of the way i think i'll spruce up my reviews a little.and to agamum.........bad agamun,bad ========= *slaps hand with ruler*

MarionetteKazuk
10-22-2005, 11:46 AM
I saw the word (quiky ) here and thought I would check it out :( not what I thought it was :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL. I was thinking the same thing until I seen the word review tacked onto the end.

Beam
10-22-2005, 12:49 PM
dang kazuk you too lol! you bunch of dirty boys :lol:

MarionetteKazuk
10-22-2005, 02:28 PM
dang kazuk you too lol! you bunch of dirty boys :lol:

My body may be clean but my mind is FILTHY. Almost as dirty as Seska's hentai collection.

Alucard
10-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Who gave you permission to have a conversation with me without me being there.

Beam
10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Alucard: Who gave you permission to have a conversation with me without me being there.

well Al, it's called being a little looney and that is a magicbox requirement these days didn't you read the fine print when you signed your lease here :lol: :lol: :lol:

MarionetteKazuk
10-23-2005, 12:45 PM
well Al, it's called being a little looney and that is a magicbox requirement these days didn't you read the fine print when you signed your lease here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't see the fine print where it said alucard must give atomic wedgies to those before they're banned. LMFAO that would be funny as hell and a hell of a way to get banned.

So beam you gunna do any more quickies....... reviews that is.

Beam
10-24-2005, 08:56 AM
the fine print reads as follows: after registering here at ye' olde magicbox thou art considered l-o-o-n-e-y

then ya' click on submit and become one of the wacky brethern if your personality sticks out enough or if you're just a plain arse.

Beam
11-11-2005, 12:20 PM
mortal kombat: the shaolin monks (ps2)

gameplay:7/10 plays really tight and responsively has a few flaws such as the camera.it's basically just a beat'em up but it is done with style to make you think that you are playing something different.it's just mindless fun with a slight twist to it.

graphics: 5/10 they are ramped up versions of the last games quest mode they're not great, but good enough to make you say lookie every now and then.

fun level: 8/10 it's really fun to play but liu kang's yells and screams get very old very quick but other than that i would pick it up seeing how it only costs 39.99 you get a good game for a reasonable price.

overall: 8/10 i recommend getting this game you won't have any regrets if you are a fan of the series or not.you won't have any trouble getting into the game whether you played any of the other games or not.

Alucard
11-15-2005, 08:22 AM
This the one with the vo-op where you can only play 2 players in it?

Beam
11-16-2005, 10:11 AM
yeah, it's fun if you just play it for what it is and not look for too much.i think you'll enjoy it.if ya don't shoot me then .

Icarus4578
11-16-2005, 11:02 AM
So is this sorta like Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero?

justin_credible
11-16-2005, 11:03 AM
No way, Shaolin Monks is a good game. Even though I sorta enjoyed playing through it, Mythologies wasn't.

Icarus4578
11-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I'll stick with Barbie Super Model for my SNES, thank you very much. :cool guy:

Beam
11-16-2005, 03:59 PM
well just rent it then because it's pretty good,i promise you won't regret it.. but mythologies was pure garbage

Beam
03-03-2006, 03:22 PM
whew,i haven;t reviewed somethin' in so long my thread has dust and cob-webs on it.

anyway, review time!

Burnout Revenge (racing) http://media.insidegamer.nl/topimages/2683.jpg

gameplay: great loose gameplay, very forgiving controls.simulation racers need not apply because this is arcade racing at it best.

graphics:really good graphics considering that none of the cars are licensed and also that every single car can be totaled,in fact wrecking is encouraged and has never been so much fun.you're even rewarded for giganto-wrecks

fun level: off the charts :yikes: and i'm not even a racing game fan at all,but it's such an addicting game that you can't put it down once you start playing.and coming from me that's saying a whole lot.

overall: you reallt can't go wrong by purchasing this game,all platform versions are very cheap except the 360 version,which isn't worth the price of just a tad bit more spit and polish.you can get nearly the same level of graphical punch from the xbox version for a better price.

*kicks self for not picking up burnout sooner*