PDA

View Full Version : Basic Reviews

Revelade
10-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Before I start, I'd like to tell you all about myself. I prefer original titles over sequels and originality above all else. I enjoy games that have long replayability and strategy.

Rating System:

Atmosphere - the combination of graphical quality/audio quality/art style
Plot - high marks if it is original, complex and most of all, thought-provoking, detailed characters are a big boon
Gameplay - this category is divided into variety, depth and computer AI

My scores only go up to 1-3:

1 being a disappointment
2 being average
3 being top notch
N/A when it's not available

It's simple and effective. With the scores being set like this, expect hard grades.

Table of Contents:

Page 1:

1. F-Zero GX
2. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Eternal Darkness
5. Metroid Prime
6. Bomberman Generation
7. Soul Calibur II
8. Phantasy Star Online Episode III
9. Pac-man World 2
10. Pac-man Vs.
11. Ikaruga
12. X-men Legends
13. Sphinx & The Cursed Mummy

Revelade
10-02-2005, 01:48 AM
F-Zero GX
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/fzerogx_box_160w.jpg
Genre: Reflex
Players: 1-4
Tip: Don't blink.

Nobody can complain about the visuals. Each car has a great number of polygons on them, with dazzling colors and even minor details like scratches or rust marks. When you have 30 of these beasts, one can wonder how they pulled that off at a smooth 60 frames per second. The music is mostly a fast paced techno that makes any race feel intense. The fast beats will complement the already high-speed gameplay. Finally, the art style forms a realistic look, compared to the cartoon designs of F-Zero X. Though some could say the 3D look is awkward, I think that the detailed graphics and intense music overcome this by a long shot.

The plot is... barely there. Each of the wacky racers has his or her own back story, whether it's a villain trying to destroy the world to Phoenix, who is from the future. There is a story mode, but... the story isn't exactly thought provoking. It just seems as an "add-on" more than anything. There is a story, but don't expect anything complex or mind-blowing.

As for the gameplay, many have said it is hard. Compared to most games, it is. One of the major reasons is that no matter how far you are in a race, one drop and you have to restart. Also, racers themselves are furious and show no mercy. Once you get used to using the attacks in addition to the boosts, it'll get easier. I'd say it's difficult, but very rewarding. A race on a map will never feel like another race on the same map because people are always switching ranks.

The reason I think the game is great is because there's much more to it than actually racing. You have to strategize on how to use your energy in the best way possible. Do you want to boost? Do you want to attack? Do you want some for defense? It's much more deeper than other racers. The game has lots of features from making your own craft, choosing from the 40 preset ones or racing on any of the 25 courses. There's lots to do.

Vs. mode takes a hit because you don't get to race with bots and that a new player will have a tough time getting used to the insane speeds of the game. That's why I would only play multiplayer if I HAD to.

The AI doesn't seem to make any sporadic movement at all. It just seems to be on a set course and does things without a flaw.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 3/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 2/3

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/ffcc_box_160w.jpg
Genre: Action
Tip: Get GBAs.

Graphics are amazing and rank among Metroid Prime and F-Zero GX. Music is beautiful, but can get annoying after a while, especially the main theme, which will CONSTANTLY be played. As for the controls, You only need the L, R, A, X and B buttons, but it's a waste how the other buttons aren't used. As for using the gameboy, I feel that the d-pad is not suited for 3D games because my thumb started to ache after a few hours.

As for the storyline, it's true that it's not as moving as other FF games, but at least it's unique. I hear there's a major plot twist at the end of the game. The story is that the world is covered with a poisonous air called Miasma and certain crystals purify the air, so villagers can live. However, these crystals dry up, so caravans must venture into monster-riddled dungeons and gather the few, precious drops of Myrrh. It's not complex and definitely not emotional or intriguing, but it does have originality.

Gameplay is, for the most part simple. You have a command list, where Attack and Defend are staples and you have free slots to place spells, items, or equipment. You can only select one action at a time, so scroll often. In singleplayer, a computer controlled animal, called a Moogle, can carry the chalice around. This chalice is the area in which everyone who is playing must be contained in. As for multiplayer, a player has to carry the "bucket" around. You have a total of 256 player combinations, which involve choosing gender, race, and job.

Multiplayer is where this game truly shines. One person HAS to carry the chalice around, but the great part is other players can push select and enter menu mode, and the on TV characters will automatically follow the chalice person. Spells can be fused to create new ones or more powerful versions. Players can swap items, but menu browsing is awkward. You can enter towns and upgrade equipment or buy items. Also minigames are available for a break from the main game.

However, the game ultimately boils down to you, strong enough to beat stupid, but tough AI. The enemies will always do the same patterns to you and will guard treasure chests. It's not about outsmarting the already stupid AI, but just having good stats, which is why the game really gets repetitive.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 3/3
Plot - 2/3
Gameplay - 1/3

Resident Evil 4
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/re4_usgcboxboxart_160w.jpg
Players: 1
Tip: Learn Spanish.

Graphically, this game is gorgeous. Every model is detailed and you can see facial expressions on enemies. Fire looks like fire and when it's night, you actually feel like it's dark.

The sound is spot on as well. Each gun has a unique sound that feels like you are doing lots of damage. The enemy voices have a creepy accent to them which helps the atmosphere. Leon has a decent voice, but some of the jokes are... bad.

The first weakness of the game lies in it's plot. First of all, it's generic. Save the princess (Ashley), then save the world from evil (Los Iluminados). There's no underlying message that teaches anything new, but rather it's a script from some B-movie.

Now that wouldn't be that bad, if the game had any logic. However, the game fails here many times. For instance, shouldn't Leon be accompied by a crew, rather than himself? Shouldn't he have told Hunnigan something IS definitely wrong after he is attacked by villagers? How does Ada do all her flips in high heels AND a skirt? Why does Luis immediately ask for a cigarette after being tied up in a closet?

And finally, the big one...

After Leon confirms that he HAS Ashley, why does the USA send only ONE helicopter for backup? Why not the marines, special forces or even the police? I thought the president's daughter would be more important than that.

The notes in this game are disappointing as well. They are more or less "Kill the American" or "We will rule the world". They lack the mysteriousness and eerieness that older RE games had.

As for the gameplay, it's largely a repetitive shooter with puzzles that require an IQ of a goldfish. Hmmm, if I have HALF of a key, I wonder what I must do. That is the majority of the game, find pieces of key and open door to next room. The only puzzle that required a BIT more thinking would be one that requires switching paintings, but that isn't much. Overall, the game loses it's eerieness in the middle of the game and turns into a repetitive shootfest, lacking both number and complexity of puzzles from older RE games.

The AI, despite having dodge reactions, is more or less stupid. They CAN find you if you are in a house. However, they will still lumber at you in a group, even if you have a grenade primed.

The bosses however, were interesting. From riding a boat with Del Lago, button mashing with El Gigante to timing buttons with Krauser, it broke off the SERIOUS repetitiveness of the main gameplay. Sure, you can unlock Mercenaries or Assignment Ada, but it will still have more repetitive shooting.

Shooting stuff is fun, but for 20 hours, it's more like work. A series that used to be about THINKING, has turned into a mashfest, only it doesn't have multiplayer like other games. The few puzzles and bosses don't offer enough variety for a 20 hour game. Finally, the plot would have been okay, but has unbelievable logic that destroys it's authenticy. I was drawn into the hype, but when I truly examined the game, I found nothing special. As a final note, I found the first 10 minutes to be much more enthralling than the last 10 hours.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 3/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 1/3

Eternal Darkness
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/916090b.jpg
Genre: Puzzle
Tip: You're insane.

The graphic quality is really a mixed bag. Some details like the armor of soldiers look nice, but the cutscenes look horribly scratchy. After beating the game, I wasn't too attached to the music, or rather, ambience, but some are interesting. The art style has quality from the examination files to the symbol designs in general.

The plot is the strongest part about the game. Everything, from the characters themselves to the narrations from Edward are incredibly detailed. The story spans a few thousand years and traveling through time is original and done well. While it's ultimately a good vs. evil plot, the characters and details are interesting and have depth.

The gameplay is ultimately a combination of both repetitive action and puzzle solving. Each level is basically solving a giant puzzle, while annoying enemies hinder your way. The enemies themselves are rather stupid. They lumber at you or do the same patterns constantly. You can attack a specific body part, but combat in general is tedious and finish moves take a horribly long time. The puzzles, however aren't as hard as Zelda, but they will require you to think carefully. The sanity effects are interesting at first, but become a bother. The constant wailing of a woman isn't my idea of pleasant audio. It's sad that you can predict when sanity effects will happen since the developers decided to have a meter for your it.

Overall, the game doesn't have great production values, nor does it have a great combat system. The strength really lies in the details and characters of the plot and the somewhat interesting puzzles.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 2/3
Plot - 3/3
Gameplay - 2/3

Metroid Prime
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/916195b.jpg
Genre: Platforming
Tip: Don't fart.

As many know, the graphics on this game are incredible. They feature many polygons and have lots of details like water drops on the visor. The art direction for this game is also incredible as each enemy is interesting not only to fight, but to look at and learn about. Finally, the music has a sense of eerieness, wonder and mystery to it. The aesthetics for this game are perfect.

The plot is done in a very unique way. Much of what is learned is read through notes, which are read by scanning it with your visor. Samus never speaks a word, just like Link, but the Pirates, Chozo and computers do all the talking, er writing. The story is more like a historical event, rather than one that is emotional. Uncovering the events of the Chozo and the Space Pirates are very detailed and interesting. It's like being an archeologist.

As for the gameplay, there's quite a variety of things to do. The combat is very simple, which comes down to choosing which beam, locking on and maybe throwing in a rocket or a charge shot. There is also puzzle solving such as choosing which beam to use, scanning a certain object and navigating with the morph ball. Finally, there is lots of platforming involved in a wide area of locations. The game will require lots of traveling, which is why I have labeled it platforming.

Metroid Prime is presented nicely, explains the story in an interesting way and offers a good variety of gameplay types.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 3/3
Plot - 2/3
Gameplay - 2/3

Bomberman Generation
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/916108b.jpg
Tip: Please mute.

It's like I'm seeing the same art when I see this cover as I did years ago on the N64 versions. The visuals themselves are clean and cel-shaded, but don't push it the way Metroid Prime or Resident Evil 4 do. The music is absolutely atrocious. It's like listening to a circus song constantly, except you can mute the TV. Finally, it seems like it's another anime style art design. Bomberman was made for 2D gaming. As 3D game, it doesn't use the 3rd dimension (up and down) at all.

The plot is absurd. A spaceship that is carrying 6 powerful element things is blown up and the elements are scattered across a world, in which you must pick up. No originality, no complexity and no intrigue there.

Ah, the gameplay. The multiplayer mode can have you playing for a long time. You have plenty of maps and modes to choose from. Each game feels different, thanks to the randomized blocks and items. The singleplayer is weaker, due to the story and that, all you are doing is trying to find the end of the level, with enemies in your way. The charabom battles are somewhat interesting however because they mix strategy, luck and timing. You have 6 orders of Commands. Attack beats Special, Special beats Defense and Defense Beats Attack. It really boils down to the same Bomberman you have been playing for years. You shouldn't pick it up if you have the N64 ones.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 2/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 2/3

Soul Calibur II
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/sc2gc_box_160w.jpg
Genre: Strategy
Players: 1-2
Tip: Get joysticks.

The game is a feast to see. The models are very detailed from the "oobiness" of Taki to the man pimp Astaroth. The polygons are much more numerous than say SSBM, but that's because there's only two fighters. The art style is incredible. You get to see the concept drawings of the characters before they were made. Finally the music feels epic and emotional at the same time.

The plot, like most fighters, is just there to justify the gathering of wacky people, who can't seem to die. No matter how far this series goes, everyone in the SC2 family manages to stay alive. Basically, each fighter is on a quest to claim the Soul Edge or the pansy Soul Calibur with no reason at all. I mean Yunsung just goes for the hell of it, while the token Bruce Lee guy, Maxi tries to get revenge... AGAIN by killing Astaroth. What does it teach us? It's possible for a 15 year old girl to beat a ten foot manwhore.

Finally, the gameplay is what this game is about. Unlike SSBM, you are given nearly 100 moves to experiment with for each character. Characters? There's more than 20, each with his/her own weapon of choice, from nunchuks, to naughty whips to Wolverine claws. You can also play in weapon mode, where you can choose from 10 weapons that change the properties of your fighter. Most of the time, players will focus on arcade mode, which is fairly short, or take on weapon master mode, which is fairly long and has some filler story I'm too lazy to remember. The gameplay is all about strategy, like using side attacks when your opponent is strafing, grabbing when he's guarding or crouching when he's using high attacks. The AI mixes things up and makes every game feel fresh, which leads to insane replayability.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 3/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 3/3

Alucard
10-02-2005, 01:51 AM
I still need to get my hands on that game.

Sinful Sam
10-02-2005, 05:33 AM
I still need to get my hands on that game.
Eternal Darkness?

Nindalf
10-02-2005, 05:38 AM
Probably Metroid Prime or F-Zero because Alucard is batshit insane with no taste.

Drunken Savior
10-02-2005, 06:18 AM
Tip: Don't fart.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1280000/images/_1281305_pulitzer300.jpg
Your two brass balls, sir! But seriously, good fast reviews. Keep up the good work!

Revelade
10-02-2005, 07:15 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1280000/images/_1281305_pulitzer300.jpg
Your two brass balls, sir! But seriously, good fast reviews. Keep up the good work!No, OMG he gave RE4 a WUN? Well, that's a first, as most people flame me for my scores.

Drunken Savior
10-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Well, while I might not agree with someone's review, I'm glad to read them nonetheless.

Alucard
10-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Eternal Darkness?

F-Zero. ED was the game I bought my GC for.

Nindalf
10-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Do I know everything or what?

Alucard
10-02-2005, 02:10 PM
You know K-Marts having a sale on slicers and dicers.

Revelade
10-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Phantasy Star Online Episode III
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/pso3card_gcn_160w.jpg
Tip: Someone sounds horribly bored...

Forget everything you knew about Phantasy Star, because this takes the series in a whole new direction.

When you look at the game, you won't find anything great over 1/2, which were already ports from the DC. It's not pushing the cube, but at least some work was put into it. As for the art style, I have to admit, there was a lot of work put into it. Drawing designs for the 300+ cards is not an easy task, along with the character and comic scenes. Finally, the music is orchestrated and feels epic, especially the title theme. The only thing I have to complain is the DC quality graphics, but it's fine by me.

The plot isn't the strongest in the world. You are told that somehow, C.A.R.D. technology has been found in Ragol (almost as bad as F.E.A.R.). Then you find out that some of the pioneers of the original 1/2 are now working AGAINST the government, because they believe it is corrupt. Playing as the "light" side (government), I also noticed my commander acting like a lazy ass, so I wouldn't blame them. While having a turn of events from fighting monsters, to fighting the government, it's not executed well. People aren't serious at all and the dark side (Arkz) tries to bribe you to their cause. I'm afraid that there's not much of interest here.

The gameplay is where it all comes down. The hero side focuses on equipping items to your character on a grid battlefield. You roll 2 dice and the higher number is your attack points, while the other is you defense. With your attack points, you can conjure items or spells. As for the Arkz, they do not have items, but they summon monsters to do their bidding. 2v2 battles are possible, but when one teammate goes down, the entire team loses too. Now, people complain that the game seems to go slow, but that's not true at all. I've played 2v2 battles vs. the computer and it's taken as less at 20 minutes! Games like Advance Wars can takes hours to beat, but people don't seem to complain. This game is all about strategy, rather than reflex or skill. The AI of the game is great, because it plays like a human and doesn't leave obvious weakness like it does in so many other games. It's a game where you are never sure if you are going to win or not, unlike repetitive hack and slash games.

Overall, despite a weak plot, the art style, music and infinitely replayable gameplay make this a game worth owning. If you have a little patience, you can discover a true gem.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 2/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 3/3

Pac-man World 2
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/916088b.jpghttp://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/pacmanworldvsbundlebox_l.jpg
Genre: Platforming
Tip: Can Pac-man have babies?

The visuals, while simple, look very clean and polished. As for the music, I found myself humming a couple of wacky tunes, but the later levels will make your ears bleed. Finally, the art style is rather simple to say, but it's not bad in anyway. Overall, I think the aesthetics of the game aren't great, but they do the job.

The plot of the game? Some evil guy stole some golden fruit which you must retrieve to save the day and hopefully get some Pac-love from the Ms. It's another cheesy filler, kind of like an Ahnold movie.

As for the gameplay, it's mainly jumping from here to there. However, some levels will allow you to skate across, Crash Bandicoot style or shoot on-rail, just like Star Fox. Also included, are classic Pac-man games like Pac-attack (which I have never heard of). So while it's mostly jumping around and getting to the end, the skating and shooting offer some variety, along with the classic Pac-man games, which are a good value. I like how the game does NOT force you to collect items to beat it, which is a pain in other games.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 2/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 2/3

Pac-man Vs.
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/pacmanworldvsbundlebox_l.jpghttp://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/pacmanvs_gcnbox_160h.jpg
Players: 2-4
Tip: Mario needs to die.

This game was made by Miyamoto and was given out as a freebie years ago. However, the best way to get it now, is to buy it bundled with Pac-man World 2. It requires 1 GBA to work however.

The graphics in the game are from the N64 era. The music sounds fruity and the initiation theme that is played gets annoying fast. Finally, the art style is again, simple, but as a freebie, I'm okay with it.

Plot? There is none.

The gameplay is incredibly simple, even moms or dads can play. As the Pac-man player, you use the GBA and can see the whole map, including ghosts. As the ghosts, you and two others must try to trap Pac-man to prevent him from getting points. When you capture him as a ghost, you are the new Pac-man. All that is required is moving the joystick, which allows you to focus on what's important: teamwork. People will scream "He's left!", "Bottom right!", "You asscake" commonly. The game isn't about repetitive gameplay, but rather, teaming up to trap the Pac-man player. It's great because games will never be the same, which allows great replayability.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 1/3
Plot - N/A
Gameplay - 3/3

Ikaruga
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/916257b.jpg
Genre: Reflex
Tip: HARD.

Despite looking good, the game is still a Dreamcast port. The enemies are carefully designed and have a strong white or black color to them. There seems to be a art gallery that can be unlocked, which means a good effort was put into design. Finally, the music does feel epic, but each level music sounds similar to the next.

The plot sounds like another generic story. You must save the world from the invaders by using one ship vs. an army. Even a second player has a story as an enemy that became an ally because he was spared by the main character. I'm not sure how the black and white fit in, but there's probably another excuse for that.

The gameplay bothers me. First of all, you'll die MANY times unless you have memorized the game thoroughly. I don't like games that force you to memorize before it gets any fun. The main draw of the game is that your ship can change colors to absorb same-colored bullets. Other than that, it's a game where you can hold fire and just manuever to win. The only reason the game will take a while is because the difficulty is ramped so high. The game has only five levels, since the developers decided to make the few so insanely hard, that it doesn't matter. Shooting isn't really fun, since you can just hold the fire button. Changing colors and manuevering is what's interesting, but it's still difficult. The AI more or less just gets in your way or does the same stupid patterns it always does.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 2/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 1/3

X-men Legends
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/xmenlegends_gcnboxboxart_160w.jpg
Tip: A, B, AB...

The game uses cel-shading, but I wouldn't say it's as effective as Wind Waker or Killer 7, because there just isn't any style to it. The music just isn't memorable at all, other than some slow, depressing tones when you are walking and a guitar, drum beat when you are fighting. The art style does have some credit, but it's not unique or something new from what we have seen from the comic books.

The plot is about a girl who is kidnapped, that happens to have magma powers. You have to save her, then save the world by defeating Magneto. It's basically another generic plot. There aren't any great plot twists or unexpected events. The overall message is nothing new.

The gameplay is in one word: repetitive. Throughout the whole game, you will be mashing the A and B buttons. Sure, you can upgrade your abilites, stats and equip items, but that's just a pause from more bashing and hacking. The levels are large and the enemies are tough. You will constantly search for health packs, since the game is very harsh on healing. Items are next to useless, since some of the healing items only heal you up to 25%, which is not even worth wearing the item for.

4 Player is fun, like most games, but again, the healing will cause frustration. If you can stand doing the same gameplay, constantly, this could be your game, since it's far above Gauntlet Legends, Mystic Heroes or Fantastic Four. Also, if you are considering X-men Legends 2, save yourself $30 and pick this one up instead. It's nearly the same game.

Overall, it's a repetitive, beat up sort of game, and the lack of healing makes it more difficult than it has to be.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 2/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 1/3

Sphinx & The Cursed Mummy
http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/sphinxats_gcnbox_160w.jpg
Genre: Puzzle
Tip: Things can get metrosexual.

Sphinx is surprisingly a feast for both the eyes and ears. The graphics are, for the most part, very detailed and eminate a crisp and clean look in game. Some sections like walls or rocks can look bland however. The music is orchestrated and fits the game perfectly. It's catchy and there are a good number of songs. Finally, the design of the characters are great and detailed, but not much so for the environments. For the most part, I was impressed.

The plot borders around two main characters, as you would guess, are Sphinx and the Mummy, aka Tut. Sphinx is sent by Imhotep to destroy Set, the villain of this game. Tut is trying to regain his soul back and marry his girlfriend, Nefretti. You can see the facial expressions on the faces of people, but the main characters, Sphinx and Tut, don't say much, which weakens their importance. The plot is simple and is yet another, you vs. villain conflict and I felt the plot seemed like a Disney movie.

As for the gameplay, it's a mix of a rather bland combat system and some not-too-difficult puzzles. It can be tedious, such as the frequent collecting quests, but passing obstacles, though simple, can be satisfying. It's also good to note that the game isn't centered around repetitive combat, which is a relief. For the most part, you will be playing as Sphinx, to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. Tut introduces a different style of play, which involves burning or smashing himself as a mummy, which is okay, since mummies are dead, or rather undead. There are minigames to play and it gives the gameplay more variety.

Overall, I loved the smooth graphics, epic music and not too frustrating gameplay. It's definitely a game worth checking out, even if it's a bargain bin item.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 3/3
Plot - 2/3
Gameplay - 2/3

B.B. Gambini
10-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Resident Evil 4
Tip: Learn Spanish.

Graphically, this game is gorgeous. Every model is detailed and you can see facial expressions on enemies. Fire looks like fire and when it's night, you actually feel like it's dark.

The sound is spot on as well. Each gun has a unique sound that feels like you are doing lots of damage. The enemy voices have a creepy accent to them which helps the atmosphere. Leon has a decent voice, but some of the jokes are... bad.

The first weakness of the game lies in it's plot. First of all, it's generic. Save the princess (Ashley), then save the world from evil (Los Iluminados). There's no underlying message that teaches anything new, but rather it's a script from some B-movie.

Now that wouldn't be that bad, if the game had any logic. However, the game fails here many times. For instance, shouldn't Leon be accompied by a crew, rather than himself? Shouldn't he have told Hunnigan something IS definitely wrong after he is attacked by villagers? How does Ada do all her flips in high heels AND a skirt? Why does Luis immediately ask for a cigarette after being tied up in a closet?

And finally, the big one...

After Leon confirms that he HAS Ashley, why does the USA send only ONE helicopter for backup? Why not the marines, special forces or even the police? I thought the president's daughter would be more important than that.

The notes in this game are disappointing as well. They are more or less "Kill the American" or "We will rule the world". They lack the mysteriousness and eerieness that older RE games had.

As for the gameplay, it's largely a repetitive shooter with puzzles that require an IQ of a goldfish. Hmmm, if I have HALF of a key, I wonder what I must do. That is the majority of the game, find pieces of key and open door to next room. The only puzzle that required a BIT more thinking would be one that requires switching paintings, but that isn't much. Overall, the game loses it's eerieness in the middle of the game and turns into a repetitive shootfest, lacking both number and complexity from older RE games.

The AI, despite having dodge reactions, is more or less stupid. They CAN find you if you are in a house. However, they will still lumber at you in a group, even if you have a grenade primed.

The bosses however, were interesting. From riding a boat with Del Lago, button mashing with El Gigante to timing buttons with Krauser, it broke off the SERIOUS repetitiveness of the main gameplay. Sure, you can unlock Mercenaries or Assignment Ada, but it will still have more repetitive shooting.

Shooting stuff is fun, but for 20 hours, it's more like work. A series that used to be about THINKING, has turned into a mashfest, only it doesn't have multiplayer like other games. The few puzzles and bosses don't offer enough variety for a 20 hour game. Finally, the plot would have been okay, but has unbelievable logic that destroys it's authenticy. I was drawn into the hype, but when I truly examined the game, I found nothing special.

Rating:
Atmosphere - 3/3
Plot - 1/3
Gameplay - 1/3

how can you give that game such a low rating compared to those other games you reviewed(outside of eternal darkness you could make a case for either), BLASPHEMY!!!!!!, eh w/e i guess thats how you feel, though i strongly disagree

Revelade
10-02-2005, 10:55 PM
how can you give that game such a low rating compared to those other games you reviewed(outside of eternal darkness you could make a case for either), BLASPHEMY!!!!!!, eh w/e i guess thats how you feel, though i strongly disagreeAhh, there's the RE4 complaint I was predicting.

Well, if you explained your side of the matter, it would help me understand why you feel that way. I've given you points as to why I believe the story is just another generic save the world plot, with unbelievable logic. The gameplay just has too much repetitive shooting and not enough puzzles that actually require thinking. Thanks for respecting my opinion. :D

B.B. Gambini
10-03-2005, 09:50 AM
i dont know man RE4 is one of the most fun games to play, especially this Gen, and to say the atmosphere is 3/3 doesnt even do it justice i would rate it 5/3, story is pretty average the but the RE stories were never its strong point anyway and it had really strong replay value, thats how i feel though

LordDeimos
10-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Good job! Although I think the gameplay for RE4 should recieve a bit higher...but then again...I don't really play games anymore...and that's blasphemy! :angry:
I'm a filthy whore hehe :bigsmile:

MarionetteKazuk
10-03-2005, 10:31 AM
My thoughts exactly. The game had some very good graphics, but the story was cheap and the gameplay was good but not a resident evil game in my eyes. RE4 didn't have that "suprise" like the other ones did. There were a couple of parts that did excite me and that's when that monster that you have to use the heat-sensored scope on comes out of nowhere, they should've had more stuff like that then it would've been a bit better, and they just basicly took away umbrella, wtf is with that?

Nindalf
10-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Well, you people are WRONG. Resident Evil 4 was awesome. Awesome to the max.

Revelade
10-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Well, you people are WRONG. Resident Evil 4 was awesome. Awesome to the max.As awesome as a potato.

Sk8_or_DIE
10-04-2005, 10:30 PM
As awesome as a potato.

Yeah but every one knows Nidalf has a Vegi fetish! :)

and apperently so do I.

Seraph
10-04-2005, 10:33 PM
I think his review was fair. I think RE4 was great and will write my own review on it eventually, but you always have to keep in mind when you review a game: "what was this game supposed to be".

Since RE4 is more action than it is horror, if you try to review it from a horror standpoint its going to fall short. You could say its "generic" but isnt everything? As long as it entertains you i think its ok :)

Revelade
10-08-2005, 07:40 PM
I think his review was fair. I think RE4 was great and will write my own review on it eventually, but you always have to keep in mind when you review a game: "what was this game supposed to be".

Since RE4 is more action than it is horror, if you try to review it from a horror standpoint its going to fall short. You could say its "generic" but isnt everything? As long as it entertains you i think its ok :)Frankly, I don't like action games most of the time. They ultimately end up being repetitive, since you keep doing the same attacks over and over again. RE4 does have a few puzzles, but they are incredibly easy to solve and there just aren't enough for a 20 hour game. There is just too much shooting. At least in other combatfest games like X-men Legends or Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, you can enjoy it with your friends.

I just found the first 10 minutes to be much more enjoyable than the last 10 hours.

I already gave you guys a couple examples why I think the story doesn't cut it. Instead of focusing on the horrors and tragedies of how the people got infected, it focuses on Ashley. Then they throw in a whole bunch of reasons that don't make sense and I've lost all respect for the story.

I don't see why the game deserves praise, when you look at it beyond the graphics.