PDA

View Full Version : The new Joanna Dark

baratus
09-25-2002, 12:20 AM
Rare has just changed the model of Joanna Dark for the debut of a Perfect Dark sequel on XBox, check it out.
It's kinda ugly if you ask me, but then again, the original was ugly too. I wonder how Banjo will look...

DBJAY
09-25-2002, 11:29 AM
I like the new anime' look to her. I think it gives her more personality than say Lara Croft, and is one of Rare's best character designs.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-25-2002, 11:30 AM
I'm fine with the change, except for her new face. It's probably just her expression. but she seems a little ditzy to me.

DBJAY
09-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Maybe she is fun loving and wacky? I do wonder if this is the character design to be used in the game, or simply a teaser illustration.

Black Ace
09-25-2002, 02:08 PM
Heh, that is teh suck.

I just want a new Banjo and Conker game. Conker was awesome, and Banjo is equally as impressive. Battletoad wouldn't hurt, but they need to tone the difficulty level down. PD, bah... Joanna looks like a sell out wh0re.

Cobi*
09-25-2002, 04:23 PM
i think it's cool, i never liked the original design. at least now she doesn't look like a graduate of the lara croft school of hard-knocks :haha:

i have to admit that i'm surprised that no one has accused rare of making her more "kiddy" because she certainly doesn't have that "edge" anymore. a sign of changing times? :eek:

DBJAY
09-25-2002, 06:18 PM
I have a feeling one of the games will be a cart racer with the Rare characters, only because a racing game featuring DK characters was seen at E3 2001 as a teaser. It would be fun to be the swearing squirrel Conker bumping off Joanna Dark or Abe or the cast of Halo.

Even if Rare does create characters that embrace the younger set (although I would rank the anime Joanna as more teen because of the figure) it is a good thing because that is something different than what MS Game Studios has been developing so far.

Cobi*
09-25-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by DBJAY
Even if Rare does create characters that embrace the younger set (although I would rank the anime Joanna as more teen because of the figure) it is a good thing because that is something different than what MS Game Studios has been developing so far.

i'm just saying, u know? it seems weird to me that when nintendo makes a "cute" game it's accused of being kiddy as if it's a bad thing to no end, yet when microsoft does it (with a former nintendo developer who made these "kiddy" games at that) people praise it for doing something different. i don't get it.

like i said, i'm just saying. don't want to get into some kind of argument over this or anything.

b0b
09-25-2002, 08:38 PM
Joanna can never be considered "kiddy" it's PD man it's about head shots deadly aresenals holding gaurds up at gun point putting there health up to 1000% and then assaulting them in the most unholy way possible if that's kiddy then I guess our kids are seriously f'd-up

Black Sugar
09-25-2002, 08:43 PM
The nicest character design so far done by Rare.

Nindalf
09-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Honestly...she looks horrible to me(Wonder if its that time of the month...)

Kid0_oIcarus
09-26-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by b0b
Joanna can never be considered "kiddy" it's PD man it's about head shots deadly aresenals holding gaurds up at gun point putting there health up to 1000% and then assaulting them in the most unholy way possible if that's kiddy then I guess our kids are seriously f'd-up

HELLO and welcome to LAST WEEK!

Seriously though- where have you been? You can tell by the new look that she looks to be more juvenile! You cannot deny that! (Well, you could.. but you'd still be wrong..) Now, she does look better- she seems to actually have character though.. but change her hair color to blonde.. and she looks like she'd fit right in with the cast of V.I.P.

Do we really want that folks?

Black Ace
09-26-2002, 10:32 AM
I remember a while ago Rare made fun of Microsoft for using Photoshop to beefed up the snowboarding game Amp. When a fan ask if Rare uses Photoshop to enhanced the Fox fur-shading, they said something like "What? You think is a snowboarding game?!" Heh :P

aneep
09-26-2002, 06:57 PM
i like the new look

maybe because i like anime and like certain comic book style (danger girl and gen 13 comes to mind)

hehe Bill

about that photoshopped thing, even Bungie made fun of it :D !
so funny when even your own internal studio makes fun of your mistakes
bad MS

EDIT forgot to say that pic is not a concept art, rather its the in game model
yes she will look like that in game, so too bad for those who wants Halo2 style graphics for PDZ

-aneep-