PDA

View Full Version : A Rare trailer!

DBJAY
09-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Four characters......Banjo, Conker, Joanna, Kameo?

Over at xbox.com

Joanna has an interesting new look.

DBJAY
09-24-2002, 05:34 PM
"With today's announcement, Rare becomes the latest member of a star-studded lineup at Microsoft Game Studios, joining such prestigious worldwide developers as Bungie Studios, the masterminds behind the smash hit "Halo(TM)," named Game of the Year by Electronic Gaming Monthly. Rare's first creation for Xbox, "Kameo," is expected to reach store shelves next spring. Also under development is the highly anticipated sequel to "Perfect Dark." The company is expecting to develop at least five games over the next two years in a variety of genres, including racing, shooters and platformers."

from MS press release.

Kameo for spring?! That's pretty quick. 5 games over two years is also a record for Rare is it not?

Black Ace
09-24-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by DBJAY

Kameo for spring?! That's pretty quick. 5 games over two years is also a record for Rare is it not?

Bah Rare has around 70 titles for NES.

Kameo was nearly done for GameCube, originally scheduled to hit GC fall 2002. So They are porting it over Xbox now, which doesn't take too long.

Black Ace
09-24-2002, 06:00 PM
Here is the press:

A Rare Deal

GoldenEye Developer Now Only On Xbox

In a $375 million deal that's the talk of the industry, Microsoft has acquired Rare Ltd., the video game development house responsible for console classics like GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country, and Perfect Dark. The announcement of the deal came from Seville, Spain, where this year's XO2 event is in full swing.

Chris Stamper, chairman and technical director of Rare, said, "Our mission at Rare has always been to make the industry's best games for the widest possible audience. Teaming with Microsoft gives us the best opportunity to accomplish this goal." The UK-based company (which will remain on the far side of the pond) will immediately begin work on Xbox titles exclusively.

Rare Announcement Video

Low Bandwidth | High Bandwidth

"The last time I was this excited was the first time I picked up a controller and played a game from Rare," said Ed Fries, vice president of Xbox Game Content at Microsoft. After Rare's Donkey Kong Country went on to sell over 8 million copies (becoming the best-selling 16-bit console game in history), GoldenEye 007 did the same for the N64?in fact, of the top 20 N64 games of all time, five were developed by Rare, including the beloved James Bond shooter and its sibling in espionage, Perfect Dark.

"We've always insisted on pushing the envelope when it comes to creativity," added Rare co-founder and creative director Tim Stamper. "And now we get the chance to create for Xbox." Rare plans to develop at least five games over the next two years in a variety of genres, including racing, shooters and platformers. First up will be the new Kameo roleplaying adventure game (see sidebar); Xbox gamers can also look forward to a new take on the action-packed platform series Banjo-Kazooie and the next installment of the FPS spy thriller Perfect Dark.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Acquires Video Game Powerhouse Rare Ltd.

Developers of Such Worldwide Hits as "Donkey Kong 64," "Banjo-Kazooie," "GoldenEye 007" And "Perfect Dark" Bring Their Talents to Xbox

REDMOND, Wash. ? Sept. 24, 2002 ? Microsoft Corp. today announced it has purchased U.K.-based Rare Ltd., one of the world's leading video game developers, further demonstrating Microsoft's commitment to providing the most innovative interactive experiences available on its Xbox? video game system. Rare has been the mastermind behind some of the most popular video games in history, including such global multimillion sellers as "GoldenEye 007," "Perfect Dark," "Banjo-Kazooie" and "Donkey Kong 64." Under terms of the $375 million cash transaction, Rare will today begin creating exclusive console gaming blockbusters for Xbox.

In a statement made from Seville, Spain, where the announcement was made to both a live and worldwide webcast audience during the company's annual X02 event, Chris Stamper, chairman and technical director of Rare, said, "Our mission at Rare has always been to make the industry's best games for the widest possible audience. Teaming with Microsoft gives us the best opportunity to accomplish this goal. Microsoft's dedication and commitment to game creators, research and development, and to gaming innovation made them the obvious partner to take Rare into the future."

"We've always insisted on pushing the envelope when it comes to creativity," added Tim Stamper, co-founder and creative director of Rare. "And now we get the chance to create for Xbox."

Rare co-founders Chris and Tim Stamper and their talented team of game developers and designers will continue to work out of Rare in Warwickshire, England. Rare was founded in 1985 as a partnership between the Stamper brothers and Joel Hochberg, now Rare president.

"This partnership significantly broadens our already outstanding portfolio of games that will be available for Xbox. And it also broadens our reach internationally as gamers around the world have demonstrated their fanaticism for what Rare consistently produces," said Robbie Bach, Chief Xbox Officer at Microsoft.

"The last time I was this excited was the first time I picked up a controller and played a game from Rare," said Ed Fries, vice president of Xbox Game Content at Microsoft. "As a gamer, you could hardly wait until Rare's next title was announced. You didn't know what genre it would be, but it didn't matter because you knew you were going to love it."

Rare grabbed the attention of the video game world in 1994 with its creation of "Donkey Kong Country." Selling more than 8 million copies, "DKC" went on to become the biggest- selling 16-bit title in history.
Rare became one of the premiere developers in the world, with sales averaging 1.4 million units per title and nearly 90 million games sold since the company was founded. Five of the top 20 all-time-best-selling N64 titles were developed by Rare, including "GoldenEye 007," the second-best-selling game in North America, with worldwide sales topping 8 million.

With today's announcement, Rare becomes the latest member of a star-studded lineup at Microsoft Game Studios, joining such prestigious worldwide developers as Bungie Studios, the masterminds behind the smash hit "Halo?," named Game of the Year by Electronic Gaming Monthly. Rare's first creation for Xbox, "Kameo," is expected to reach store shelves next spring. Also under development is the highly anticipated sequel to "Perfect Dark." The company is expecting to develop at least five games over the next two years in a variety of genres, including racing, shooters and platformers.

About Microsoft Game Studios
Microsoft Game Studios is a leading worldwide publisher and developer of games for the PC, Xbox video game system and online platforms. Comprising a network of top developers, Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating innovative and diverse game portfolios for the PC (http://www.microsoft.com/games/), including such franchises as "Age of Empires?," "Flight Simulator" and "Zoo Tycoon?"; Xbox (http://www.xbox.com/), including such franchises as "Halo," "Project Gotham Racing?" and "NFL Fever"; and Zone.com (http://zone.msn.com/), the official games channel for the MSN? network of Internet services and home to such hits as "Bejeweled" and "OutSmart?."

About Xbox
Xbox is Microsoft's future-generation video game system that delivers the most powerful game experiences ever. Xbox empowers game artists by giving them the technology to fulfill their creative visions as never before, creating games that blur the lines between fantasy and reality. Xbox is now available in North America, Japan, Europe and Australia.

About Microsoft
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business computing. The company offers a wide range of
products and services designed to empower people through great software ? any time, any place and on any device.

b0b
09-24-2002, 11:18 PM
I don't know who this is better for the gamers or MS, does it really matter this can only help Xbox broaden it's genres now they have a house that is a proven success with racing / cart games, FPS games, and last but certainly not least platformers. I guess i'm the only one on these forums that loved PD as I bought my GC more in the hopes of PD then any Nintendo branded franciase oh we'll all I can do is drool in anticapation of PD 2's graphical prowess which any fan of PD on the n64 would be hard pressed to argue with, if it was great running between 15-30 fps a second we'll see how many copies it sells with graphics of likes of Halo 2. In closing good job MS you bought your self some garunteed million sellers now hurry up and get rare working on CBFD 2!.

Alucard
09-25-2002, 12:21 AM
I dont know about Kameo being ready by then. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out end of next year. Unless M$ preasure Rare something fierce. Which I see happening. They definately wont have the patience Nintendo showed. Kameo's never had a definate release date after the delays it got at the beginning of the year. Retarded company can't do anything on time. Expect PD2 in like 2004-5.

Wonder how long till the game store contacts me saying its sent Star Fox in the mail. Most likely caught Rares disease and will take a week to send it.

Havoc2049
09-25-2002, 01:21 AM
I bet Rare will release five games over the next two years. Look for Microsoft to infuse some cash and talent into Rare, to get things moving. If you live in the UK and work in the game industry, now would be a good time to send in a resume to Rare.

DBJAY
09-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Kameo movie up over at gamespot.com

Looks interesting.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it bloody well should- as it was originally an interesting title for the GC.

As for Rare releasing 5 titles in two years... I dunno... anything is possible. They could put the pressure, bring more help.. we'll just have to see. They don't have a good track record for doing this, but perhaps this major change will be cause for even more changes for the good than bad.

G/L Rare, maybe if your titles are good enough I'll have to eventually pick up an Xbox... *shudder* Hmm.. maybe if I steal it, it won't be so bad... although that'd just hurt the store and not MS..

I dunno how Banjo-Threeie will do on Xbox.. since.. wasn't this a"kiddy" title? 8)

Conker, should fit right in though. ;)

We'l just have to see how it all plays out.

It feels weird how they're joining the "star-studded lineup at Microsoft Game Studios, joining such prestigious worldwide developers as Bungie Studios" and only Bungie Studios. hehe...

DBJAY
09-25-2002, 01:46 PM
I think Rare averaged 1.8 titles over N64's lifespan, so it would certainly be an increase in volume not seen in a long time.

Also, Rare is the biggest star under the MS Game Studios umbrella but some credit has to be given to MS Game Studios for also creating the NFL Fever franchise. It is a pretty good start, and there are a few other games coming from MS Game Studios that have potential in various genres.

Black Ace
09-25-2002, 01:55 PM
During the N64 days, Rare studios was really small, they had only around 84 employees. During the year 2000, they moved into a new office, constructed through Nintendo funds, it cost $15 million dollars. Rare since had grown to 250 employees and has about 8-10 development teams. So Rare is will definately deliver more than 5 games that was mentioned, they have more unannounced projects, possibly Killer Instinct, Battletoad, Jet Force Gemini. GoldenEye, Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing gross more than $1 billion for Nintendo and Rare. GoldenEye went platinum 8 times, Donkey Kong 5 times and Diddy Kong Racing 4 times. Banjo Kazzooie also past 2 million marks and PD sold 1.4 millions. Microsoft has gained Europe finest studio under their belts, to date Rare has sold over 90 million of it own games, the average title sells 1.4 million in the press release.

b0b
09-25-2002, 08:48 PM
Yep bill and lets do the math if 5 of Rares games are in the top 20 best selling games for the N64 and they averaged 1.4 million a peice lets see 5x1.4= 7million, MS bought them for 375 Million, let's see on the N64 games we're 59.99, Seven million times 59.99 = 419,930,000 not to mention at least 2 million N64 expansion packs sold for PD & DK 64, now if Rare continues this 1.4 million average and releases 5 titles in two years that's 1.4mil x 5 = 7mil x 49.99 = 349,930,000 I'd say they just about payed back the vast majority of the money MS spent to buy them, and seeing as how PD has been in development since Rare had dev kits I'd expect it to come out next year about the same time as Halo 2

Kid0_oIcarus
09-26-2002, 08:12 AM
You forget, though- that the cost of that game is not all profit. There are other things factored in there, i.e. developmental costs, anyone?

But what I don't uderstand, is... why couldn't Rare develop this fast for the GC? Factor 5 had an awesome looking game for the GC ready. Now it was basically a flight simulator, and the story/plot was already determined... but still... why did it take Rare so long to get their first game out? They had the story, some adjustments had to be made- the graphics went through changes as well... but it's not like the scrapped everything and started from scratch. Then there was Kameo and DKR... three projects- only one released... after numerous delays... yeah... ok!

I'll believe them releasing 5 games in 2 years when it happens.. till then it's just a sick joke. And, no- crap titles don't count..

DBJAY
09-26-2002, 11:20 AM
You mean like Mickey's Speedway? I can say that is one N64 game done by Rare that I never played.

crazytaxinext
09-26-2002, 11:42 AM
Kameo-I was never convinced by this game when it was on GC and I'm still not. This will be one that will have to wait till its review to woo me.

Perfect Dark-Though a good game now that the series is on the FPS machine that is Xbox its lost its significance. On a machine that is getting Halo 2 and Doom 3, will PDZ really have that much of an impact?

Banjo-As long as its a marked improvement on Tooie then I'm all go for this one. One of the few series that comes close to Marios quality.

Conker-The daddy. Having this come back is what really makes Rare on Xbox worthwhile.

aneep
09-26-2002, 07:05 PM
i don't think MS would do any pressuring on Rare

now they have to concentrate on quality titles (from 1st party), not quantity, since Xbox is getting a lot of 3rd party games already to fill the lineup

look at Halo2, PGR2, and most of the unreleased 1st party lineup
they'd rather delayed it than pushing it out of the door unpolished (Brute Force, Midtown Madness 3, etc)

5 games in 2 years seems rather farfetched though, i think we'd only see at most 4 titles in that time frame

-aneep-