PDA

View Full Version : The Marionette Review

MarionetteKazuk
09-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Well I thought I'd take a stab at it and make some reviews of my own.
My first one is on the Nintendo DS game Yugioh Nightmare Troubadour. Ok I'm going to say this, if you've played the yugioh game for GBA where you can walk around it's very similar to Troubadour. You start off with a deck and depending on which questions you answere in the beginning of the game depends on which deck you get, I thought that was kinda good that they give you a random deck even though they did do something like that in another yugioh game. The gameplay is good, just like the official game. From what I heard there are over 1000 cards to get and they include the newer cards. You can "walk" around in the over-view map and when the circle turns red that means there's someone nearby to duel with. Once the duel begins you do that little rock paper siscors thing to see who goes first. In the battle the top screen is used to display the field in 3D. I thought that monsters were going to be a bit more 3D than they were, but there are some that they show in full 3D. The others are shown from either the front or back and the more or less look like a 3D image than an actual 3D figure. I do like when you defeat a monster how the card explodes. The music in the game could've been better. I was hoping for more hyped up and fast pace music but it wasn't there. And also they added a shop to the game. Instead of having to wait after you battle to get a booster deck, if you have any money you can go to the shop and buy a pack of cards and not just only 1 deck but if you have enough for like 3 or 4 you can buy them unlike in Eternal Dualist Soul for gba where you can only get 1 pack of cards after dueling. They still have that password machine where if you have the little code from the bottom of the card you can input it into the game and then you'll have the card, but they've changed it. I believe it's now 1,000 to get a card from a password. I didn't really like that too much because I have a whole deck of real yugioh cards and I would like to use them in the game, but I have to pay every time I want to get one of the cards. Some things get a little confusing because you have to wait for certain times of the day (in game time, not real life time) in order to advance in the game. I didn't really like that too much.

Gameplay - 8/10
Sound/Music - 4/10
Controls - 7.5/10
Enjoyment - 7.9/10

Would I recommend this game - yes

My next review will be on advance wars dual strike for the ds. I won't make the review until I've played enough of the game to actually know what I'm talking about. I hope you enjoyed the review and if I should add more or take away details feel free to let me know. :thumb-up:

List of games I've review (post will be edited for updates) so I won't forget which games I've reviewed.

-Yugioh Nightmare Troubadour
-Maniac Mansion
-Day of the Tentacle
-Yugioh: The Eternal Duelist Soul
-Shenmue
-Rollercoast Tycoon
-Resident Evil 1: Gamecube Remake
-Mario Kart DS
-Zombies Ate My Neighbors
-SMB 2
-Richard Scarry's Busy Town
-The Ring: Terror's Realm
-Virtua Cop 2
-Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
-Deja Vu
-Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64)
-Theme Park (Genesis)

Seraph
09-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Danigt! You and I are on the same wavelength I think, you always do things right before im about to do them. As im sitting here at work writing my first review, i look on the forum to see youve already done it. (my big review thread will come soon enough)

Tips for reviews, try not to clump everything into one paragraph, it makes it really hard to read.

Would you reccomend that game to a non-yugio fan? Its not that i hate yugio, i just have never gotten into it.

MarionetteKazuk
09-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Danigt! You and I are on the same wavelength I think, you always do things right before im about to do them (my big review thread will come soon enough)

Tips for reviews, try not to clump everything into one paragraph, it makes it really hard to read.

Would you reccomend that game to a non-yugio fan? Its not that i hate yugio, i just have never gotten into it.

That's because I am you from the FUTURE!!!! :yikes:

Yeah, I kinda noticed that AFTER posting it, but I didn't want to edit because I didn't feel like redoing it, but yeah, I'll break them up next time into smaller paragraphs.

Seraph
09-23-2005, 01:23 PM

Im on to you doppleganger >:D Save it for queen Dopplepopolus

MarionetteKazuk
09-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Im on to you doppleganger >:D Save it for queen Dopplepopolus
:confused: :confused:

Seraph
09-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Awnser my question dork, I want your opinion if a non Yugio fan would like this game.

Also, that was a quote from selab 2021, not sure if youve watched it :sweat:

MarionetteKazuk
09-23-2005, 02:53 PM
It depends. If they're a non-yugioh fan because they just plain don't like yugioh and hasn't played the game (lets just say they don't like the anime) they may find the game entertaining because they don't have to deal with all of the talk they do in the anime but they can just go straight to the battles.
If someone doesn't plain like yugioh at all (anime and game) then obviously they won't like the DS one.
If someone hasn't played a yugioh game before then I'd say that they would like it because as I said they didn't like the anime but they would enjoy the game itself.

Paper exe
09-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Danigt! You and I are on the same wavelength I think, you always do things right before im about to do them. As im sitting here at work writing my first review, i look on the forum to see youve already done it. (my big review thread will come soon enough)

That what I said from about a weak ago. You two really think the same way and act the same way. You two are either: A) Twins. B) Same person C) Both.

?.I want to say a complement to both of you, because of your new review threads but I don?t know what to say. The thought that counts anyway. :cool guy:

MarionetteKazuk
09-24-2005, 01:12 PM
That what I said from about a weak ago. You two really think the same way and act the same way. You two are either: A) Twins. B) Same person C) Both.

?.I want to say a complement to both of you, because of your new review threads but I don?t know what to say. The thought that counts anyway. :cool guy:
Rest assure that we're not twins.... at least I don't think we are and aren't the same person. In fact I think one of the mods can probably confirm that because chances are me and seraph have two completely different ip addresses and live in different parts of the country. But anyways, thanks for the compliment though.

Paper exe
09-24-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't need a proof. I well know you are not a lair and aren't stupid to do something like that.

MarionetteKazuk
10-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Ok, I know I said I was going to do my next review on Advance Wars DS, but it may be quite some time until I can beat that game so my review will be on my all-time favorite game Maniac Mansion.

http://www.venus.dti.ne.jp/~kimiz/PICTURES/SOME/LUCASFILM/MANIAC%20MANSION.JPG

I first played this game way back in the day when gaming was good. I played it the first time and have always loved it. Now on to my half-azzed review

STORY
Ok, the story for this game is very typical but has it's own charm. A girl named Sandy was kidnapped by a family of maniacz that lives in what looks to me to be a Addam's Family-style mansion thus the name Maniac Mansion. There is also a purple meteor that has taken over the family which explains the reason why they are zombie-like. Well Sandy's boyfriend Dave somehow finds out she was kidnapped and is going to attempt to rescue her, the problem he needs help, so Dave and 2 other several of his friends (each who have different skills that will alter the outcome of the game) must go into the mansion and save Sandy and stop the purple meteor from doing his evil acts.

GRAPHICS
Ok, this is back in the day of the NES, so graphically the game isn't all too great by today's standards, but the game has that sort of cartoonish look to it.

GAMEPLAY
The game play was that of a point-n-click type. You move the cursor around with the D-pad and click on different items. Clicking anywhere on the top part of the screen (say for example in a room) will make the character you have walk to that part. Then on the bottom of screen (the black-colored box) there are words such as open, close, turn on, pickup, etc and these are the different commands. If you click on open and then click on a door it will open the door unless there is a key needed to open it.
http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/nes/maniac_mansion.gif
You can also switch between the characters so if you run into a situation that needs technical skills you can use bernard however bernard is scared of the tentacle so you would have to talk to the tentacle with another character in order to move it out of the way and then use bernard to go by. You can even use the select button to navigate through the most commonly used commands such as open and close.

SOUND
Again this is back in the NES days and the game's sounds consists of chirps. I do have to say that they could've left out the cd players because the songs on them either get annoying or just distract you from the game, but the good news is that you can turnoff the cd players. The other random sounds fit in with the game such as the eerie music they play when you encounter one of the weird edisons (the residents of the mansion).

SCORES
Story - 7.5/10 Mainly because there's actually more than one story depending on which characters you pick.
Gameplay - 8/10 I didn't like how slow the cursor moved during the most frustrating times.
Graphics - 5/10 Even at it's time the graphics weren't too great, but they could've did better.
Sound - 7/10 Same as with the graphics, but I did like some of the music and sounds they played.

Sum Up
I loved this game as a child and still do. The mixture of the story, gameplay, graphics, and sound did go together so I'll give them credit for that. Overall I'd give the game a 7.5/10

I will expect some comments from a fellow maniac mansion fan named Vegetto.

Seraph
10-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Stop copying me!!! what the heck! I spend an hour writing a review, check back and yours has a new review today too! Your write your review on people stuck in a mansion, I write my review on people stuck in a mansion!!! Doppleganger :P

Good review on Maniac Mansion. I saw my freind play it relgiously once. Even though its on the NES it seemed like way too much of a complex game for me. I always did wonder why the family was so weird.

Do they really have CD players in the game? I would think it would have been cassete players

MarionetteKazuk
10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Stop copying me!!! what the heck! I spend an hour writing a review, check back and yours has a new review today too! Your write your review on people stuck in a mansion, I write my review on people stuck in a mansion!!! Doppleganger :P

Good review on Maniac Mansion. I saw my freind play it relgiously once. Even though its on the NES it seemed like way too much of a complex game for me. I always did wonder why the family was so weird.

Do they really have CD players in the game? I would think it would have been cassete players

Yeah they got cd players (which is kinda weird now that I think about it), but the music on the cd players are annoying as hell. I'm not copying you because we're one being.......WE ARE VENOM!!!!!! :lol:

Alucard
10-04-2005, 12:38 AM
The joy of Lucas Arts adventure games... Nothing quite like it!

Joe Redifer
10-04-2005, 01:19 AM
All I remember about Maniac Mansion is that I wanted to do the chick on the box cover back when I was an extremely horny teenager.

Alucard
10-04-2005, 01:57 AM
You mean you only played it last year?

Joe Redifer
10-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Ha ha lol rofl no. I've never played it ever. I was a Sega fanboy (still am) and it was a Nintendo game. I just saw the magazine ads which had the box cover and NO I DID NOT DO THAT WITH GAME MAGS (I know what you're thinking you sicko).

Alucard
10-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Well wasnt really a nintendo game. It was a PC game and converted to consoles. Was even on the C64 and Amiga etc.

MarionetteKazuk
10-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Well wasnt really a nintendo game. It was a PC game and converted to consoles. Was even on the C64 and Amiga etc.

I had the pc one but I never got around to playing enough of it. I only got through 2 minutes and just stopped.... I guess because the characters looked like lego blocks. Hmm it was on the C64 nd Amiga? I should check it out.

MarionetteKazuk
10-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Ok you guys knew I was going to eventually do this. But I figured I may as well get this game out the way since I just did a Maniac Mansion review.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/laboussoledemmp/jaquette-day-of-tentacle.jpg

Maniac Mansion - Day of The Tentacle

Ok, this game is the sequel to the NES/PC/C64/Amiga/Etc game Maniac Mansion.

STORY
Bernard (from the first MM game) gets a message from weird Ed Edison's new hampter/guinea pig (you all know what happen to his first pet). The message is from the green tentacle, he says that the purple tentacle is trying to take over the world. Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne must go stop purple from taking over the world. They get to the mansion (which seems very altered from the first game) and Dr Edison tells them they must go back in time to stop purple from planing the destruction. They get in the time machinese (which are a bunch of porter-johns) but the crystal to the machines screw up and each of them end up in a different time period. Hoagie is stuck in the past, Bernard in the present and Laverne in the furture. The characters must do what they can in their time to stop purple.

GRAPHICS
Graphically the game is more like a cartoon than the first maniac mansion. This one uses different kinds of odd shapes (mainly on the walls and such). They use somewhat bright colours too. There isn't really too much that I can say about the graphics except that they look better than the previous maniac mansion.

GAMEPLAY
Since this is a pc you must use the mouse to navigate. This is very good because you can move the mouse much quicker and more accurate that the first game. They still have the same kind of system though where the commands are at the bottom of the screen and the gameplay on the top (would make a good DS game *hint hint* lucas arts and nintendo). You can navigate through the different times with the different characters. Putting an item in the toilet (time machine) will let the other 2 characters be able to obtain it. But you can only put one item at a time which at times would get annoying.

SOUND
Since this game is more up to date they were able to improve the sound quality. The music is very weird, it seems very randomized. The have other sound effects but they don't have many of them, the effects themselves were good.

SCORES

Story - 6.5/10 The story wasn't too great, but it did help the game in a way.
Graphics - 7.5/10 The graphics looked good even though some of the were awkward.
Sound - 6/10 The sounds were good but they could've improved them...not the quality but the way the did the sounds

Pheew got that one out the way. Be sure to tune in next time when I become mayor of quahog city, do I have what it takes?

Icarus4578
10-04-2005, 10:08 AM
How about that -- I didn't even know there was a sequel! :8):

MarionetteKazuk
10-04-2005, 09:21 PM
How about that -- I didn't even know there was a sequel! :8):
Yup there sure is. It's somewhat hard to find, but I used kazaa once and found it. You should give the game a try. I would love to see them make a full 3D maniac mansion game. They should make it just like the original but in 3D it would rock!!!

MarionetteKazuk
10-05-2005, 12:36 AM
http://ca.geocities.com/yugiohgme/game_images/eternal_duelists_soul.jpg

The is the first GBA game that I've ever boughten.

Story
There's really no story behind the game. In fact I don't even think there is a story to the game, it's more or less how the fighting games' stories are just beat up a bunch of people to get to the end and that's how the yugioh story is on this game, just duel a bunch of random people till you kill yourself of bordom.

Graphics
The game has decent graphics. I like how they have cards for every monster, trap and magic card and didn't pull a pokemon red/blue on us and use the same sprite image for every monster or in pokemon's case every pokemon. The game runs smoothly and it's not extreamly pixilated like one of the other yugioh games I've played

Sound
I'm going to say this right now, the bg music on the game is horrible. You're better off turning down the volume on the gba and just whistling you're own tune, or just do like me and blast the stereo. This god-awful music could've been a lot better. Ok at first I understand that they play the little flute-like music during the first tier of opponents but even the harder opponents need to have a high-paced music.

Gameplay
Ok the point of the game is to just battle your opponent using duel monster cards. The first person who's life points reach zero wins, although there are other factors that influece victories but I won't get into all of that. For those who already know how the game is played like the back of their hand they did a good job with the system. It seemed to me like it's played just like the official game. The thing that gets annoying to me is when you have a trap card on the field that can be activated and the computer keeps asking after every damn movement in the game if you want to use the card or not. Many of times that has cost me the match because I would get so frustrated that I would just keep pressing buttons for the text to advance and I didn't realize that I picked the wrong options sometimes. But even with that I have to say the gameplay is good. Also I like how you can input the passwords from your real yugioh cards/deck so this way you can use your custom deck in the game instead.

Scores
Story 3/10: I have to say the story sucked every form of ass known to man. The anime had a good story behind it but without the anime's story the game has even less of a story than it does now.

Sounds 4.5/10: They did a half-assed job with the music.

Graphics 7.5/10: The graphics were good, they weren't great but good. They could've improved a bit with the images when you view each individual card, but it's still good that the have each individual card's image.

Gameplay 9.5/10: The game went along with the official rules (which is good) and how the game itself is played is good, it's a good strategy game.

BTW it did come with the 3 cards inside the box, but I forgot which ones.

Seraph
10-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I never was even interested in getting Yu-gi-oh games. I really dont get into playing a card game in a videogame. Its why I never got into Yugioh, PSO3, BatienKatos.

Thanks for the review Marionette, it was pretty helpful.

MarionetteKazuk
10-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I never was even interested in getting Yu-gi-oh games. I really dont get into playing a card game in a videogame. Its why I never got into Yugioh, PSO3, BatienKatos.

Thanks for the review Marionette, it was pretty helpful.

Yeah PSO3 didn't seem to good to me either, once I heard they change the game i said "NUCK THAT!".

Sinful Sam
10-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Interesting reviews, MarionetteKazuk. I never played these games. Good work.

MarionetteKazuk
10-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Just to let everyone know I had a very good shenmue review writtien up but the browser screwed up (which i don't know why I knew it would) and the review went Kaput, so I'm going to type up one right now on my pc and will post it sometime today (or possibly tomorrow).

MarionetteKazuk
10-08-2005, 11:19 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004S99R.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Ok this is my second time writing this review.
This game needs no introduction, but I will anyways ^ _ ^
This is the legendary Shenmue game. This is probably one of the best DC games I've played and owned, in fact right now it's the only DC game that I still have the case for it..... but I lost the book *cries*.

Story
The game starts off with a young man named Ryo Hazuki running home one day, it is snowy outside. He gets home and discovers the name board with his family's name has been broken in half and thrown on the floor. Ryo also spots a black car sitting in front of the gate. He proceeds in and finds Ine-san (i'm not exactly sure how she's related to him, if someone could explain it to me) laying on the floor outside. He goes to help her but she said she's fine but to go to the back to the dojo. He goes towards the dojo and suddenly Fuk-san is thrown through the dojo doors. Ryo helps Fuk-san and goes into the dojo, but he is stopped by two men in black suits at the door. He's standing at the door and sees a man in a green chinese suit. The man (Lan-di) demands the Dragon mirror from Ryo's father Iwao. Iwao refuses to give him the mirror. Lan-di then glances at Ryo and grabs him by the neck and hold him in the air with one hand. He threatens to kill Ryo if Iwao doesn't tell him where the mirror is. Iwao gives in and tells him it's burried under the cherry tree, Lan-di throws down Ryo and (without even saying anything) orders his men to find it. The retrieve the mirror, but Lan-di and Iwao engage in battle. Iwao is knocked down by a blow, Ryo runs over and Lan-di gives a blow to Ryo's stomach knocking him across the room. Lan-di allows Iwao to get up and die like a warrior. Iwao gets up and struggles to fight lan-di but lan-di gives a devistating kick to Iwao thus making him fall on the ground once more very injured. Lan-di and his men leave. Ryo crawls over to Iwao and is holding him, Iwao tells Ryo to keep his friends close Iwao then dies.....the snow turns into rain.
The game continues a few days from the incident and Ryo has a nightmare about the day his father was killed. He wakes up vowing that he would get revenge for his death, and he also wants to get back the mirror.

I just have to say this right now, I had to look on gamefaqs about a few things in the game and noticed someone put this when describing the story... "Ryo's father told him about the Phoenix Mirror and then dies." If i'm not mistaken Iwao doesn't tell ryo about the phoenix mirror, in fact ryo doesn't find out about the mirror until he meets master chen at the harbor. I will let them know about their horrible mistake, but back to the review.

Scores

Story 10/10 - This game has a very solid story line to it and the game itself doesn't just rely on the gameplay because the story gets intergrated within making this a very good game.

Graphics 10/10 - This game has the best life-like graphics I've seen on the dreamcast. The game doesn't have just specific part that have good graphics and then the rest is just low-quality, this game's graphics is good through and through. The characters alone have good graphics and when they talk they actually move their mouth and make facial expressions. The building and surrounding areas are detailed very nicely.
The magic-weather was a very nice touch to the game giving it realistic weather by having it sunny some days, raining others, snowy as well and it doesn't stick to just one weather.
In addition to the magic-weather is the time of day. The game's day changes as you're playing (again a very nice touch) and the graphics are just as good when it is night time. The neo lights in Dobouita can be seen clearly and the shadows were done very nicely.

Sound 9.5/10 - The game had very good music to it. The background music as you walk through the game is very good, it's not very loud which will tend to distract from the game. Also they have different music for the different places you go to such as the You Arcade and the Tomato Mart (I love the music from the Tomato Mart ^_^ ). I liked how you can buy tapes to listen to, but the tapes had something to do with the only 9.5/10 score I gave because some of the songs on the tapes weren't too pleasing to me, but at least you can avoid listening to the songs on there which is the reason why I changed the score from 9 to 9.5 because you have that choice of not listening to the songs on there.

Gameplay 9.5/10 - The game had good control in most parts of the game. There were some parts that you would seem to get stuck in and the movement would be somewhat weird. Also I didn't like that when you're going to walk up some stairs that if someone was already walking up the stairs you had to wait until they walked all the way up before ryo can even begin to walk up the stairs (or down the stairs too).
The fighting system was very good and reminds me of virtua fighter, which isn't a suprise seeing as there are virtua fighter capsule toys and posters and such.
Speaking of capsule toys those were pretty neat to have in the game. I would spend a whole bunch of yen on them and add the toys to the collection. Along with that was the soda machine where you could get a winning can, but I don't understand how ryo downs those sodas in like 3 seconds.
The game was very interactive and you could pick up a lot of items. Usually the only items you can pick up are those inside of a shop or ryo's house, but it was a very good feature of the game because it gave you that investigative feel to the game which is good seeing as that's what ryo's doing. The part that had the best interaction (imo) was in the basement of the dojo. There were so many things you could pick up in that part and open different drawers and what not. In fact I think Ryo's house is the part in the game that you can pick up the most stuff. You can even pic up pictures from the wall.
The QTE was another good feature of the game such as the one part where Ryo is chasing the guy with his ticket to hong kong, you have to use a lot of QTE there. There are little parts scattered throught the game that use QTE but not too many. One of the best things to have the QTE was the QTE punching game in the You Arcade, I spents large amounts of time playing that game it was so fun. The 70 man battle was a very good part in the game and it was good that they gave you the option to play it over and over once you beat the game.... or was it right after you beat the 70 man battle? Either was Twas very good. And don't me started with the forklift, I loved riding that thing around and ALWAYS met my quota. Sometimes I would come very close to getting all of the boxes into the warehouse, I'm pretty sure on one shift I did that of getting all of the boxes in.

I would say that anyone who owns a DC (or even those who don't) should buy this game. For me it's not enough to play or rent the game but it's a must buy. Blockbuster was lucky that I never played this game when they used to have it there otherwise they would've never gotten it back from me.

Some pics showing the greatness in Shenmue:

http://crem.free.fr/images/jeuxvideo/shenmue/shenmue01.jpg
(The 70 man battle)

http://crem.free.fr/images/jeuxvideo/shenmue/shenmue06.jpg
(God help those who didn't like the forklift)

http://crem.free.fr/images/jeuxvideo/shenmue/shenmue04.jpg
(Nazomi... the girl that Ryo is Fu**ing)

http://thor.mirtna.org/oddities/lookalikes/pics/ryo_hazuki_shenmue_-_nelly.jpg
(I just thought this pic was funny)

MarionetteKazuk
10-16-2005, 11:55 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000K4MC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
The game today for my review is Roller Coaster Tycoon. Yes it's a pretty old game, but who said my reviews were all about the current games? Anyways I picked this game because I've been playing it a lot lately and I figured I should review it.

Story
This game doesn't have any story to it unless you consider building a theme park a life-altering story worth discussing. I guess I can wing it though. You are selected to run a theme park. You must use your wits and cunning business strategies to build a successfull theme park. Ok that was best I could come up with for a story.

Graphics
This game uses a combo of 2D and 3D graphics.
http://kotn.ntu.ac.uk/tell/roller2.gif
It was a good combo to use, the graphics extreamly highend but they're very good. Zooming in and out during the game will slightly change the graphics but not enough to spoil the game. The gave good detail to a lot of things such as the people who all basicly look the same except when they're sick. The graphics on the rides themeselves are good.

Sound
It has pretty good sound. They give you the carnival feel that I expected from a theme park-type of game. Also, so for example you have music playing from the merry-go-round, well if the camera is focused on it you can clearly hear the music playing from the ride, but as you scroll the camera (or pan it) the music fades off into the opposite direction that you're scrolling to give it that realistic distance effect. Also you can hear the people scream when they're on the rides which is a very nice touch. And when a person throws up in the game you can hear them, not vomit, but cough. The people give different sounds such as laughter.

Gameplay
The gameplay is great in this game. Since it's for the pc it obviously uses the mouse and keyboard. One of the best parts is designing the roller coasters. They give you good control over the game and allows you to build the park exactly how you want by letting you alter the terrain by raising or lowering parts of the land, or even adjusting heights of certains rides.

Scores

Story - 1/10: There's really not a story to the game and the one I gave at the beginning is as much of a story as you're going to get from the game.

Graphics
The game has great graphics. The used the combo of 2D and 3D to make for really good gameplay. It seems to me they didn't skip on details either.

Sound
The music in the game was great and so were the special effects. They were very realistic and the sounds were timed correctly as well.

Gameplay
The game let's you control everything from prices to which areas the employees are in charge of. Not only was the things you had control of were good but the controls themselves. They give you a wide range of tools to use in the game and they are fairly easy to use. Beginners could easily learn how the gameplay works. The different missions and their goals give you a good challenge and you won't get bored of this game right away.

Final Thoughts
This is a very addicting game. I first played it a long time ago and it wasn't like one of those games that I play once and then never play it again. Also it's pretty challenge because you have to complete the goals within a certain time. It's not like it's just build a theme park and run it, it's build a theme park and meet the requirements to pass on to the next challenge. You have to maintain the park's sanitary and security as well as it's worth. The expansion packs are a good addon as well although I've only used one expansion pack. I'd say to anyone who hasn't played this to buy it.

MarionetteKazuk
10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Resident Evil - GC Remake

http://www.clubic.com/photo/00031416.jpg

Ok this is the remade version of the original Resident Evil game. This action/horror game is what started it all and I'm review it today.

Story
Racoon City (why couldn't they name it Chipmunk City) was attacked by vicious zombies which took over. Jill Valentine part of the S.T.A.R.S team is investigating a nearby mansion to reveal who is behind all of this madness. Jill and the others of her team have to also look for members of the S.T.A.R.S bravo team who have seem to disappear. While looking for them they are attacked by dogs and hide in a nearby mansion, from there the continue their search through the darkened halls of the massive mansion.

My story thoughts
SPOILERS AHEAD
The story is good and solid. This is the story that started the whole RE series, although I don't count the RE4 story because it had nothing to do with RE and the story was ****ty as hell. Wesker always seemed sneaky to me which brought me to the conclusion that he was behind something. Berry wasn't too trusting when I found that document he was reading and the top part of the page was torn off which lead me to believe he tore it off. The little side story of the kid who's mother was lost or something was good, which lead to the battle between Jill and that "woman" that's chained up. The Tyrant has always been the best part of all of the RE games imo. The one in this first game was HUGE. I don't know if he was bigger than the one on Code Veronica, but he looked like a good 8 ft tall. I have no idea where the slashers came from, there may have been a document saying, but I may have missed it or just didn't bother to read it.

Graphics
They did a hell of a job on this game with the graphics. You can clearly tell the remake from the original because the characters aren't as block-like as they were in the old version. I can't compare too much to the original because I have never played the original. I've seen screenshots and people play it a couple of times, but I never played the psx version myself. The details are very good, especially with the lighting.
http://www.consolenetwork.it/rec_prev/gc/biohazard/1.jpg
The lightning effects are a plus as well. Some hallways are darker than others and when you get to the later part of the game in the catacombs they did a good job with that as well in the lighting. The character's expressions are good as well even though you don't really get to see their faces upclose very often.

Sounds
This game has some incredible sounds. The sound of the lightning (or should I say thunder) is good, especially if you have some kick ass stereo speakers like I do (my gc's video is connected to the tv while the sound is connected to my stereo thus the reason for the badass sounds I have). I can't really say much for the sounds of the footsteps, but what can I say except that they sound real. They did use realistic sounds in the game and didn't just throw anything in there. Although I don't like the fact that when the zombies are walking you can hear the sounds of apples being stepped on in a pile of leaves type of footsteps. I wanted to be more suprised when they're walking and have them creep up to me sometimes and not give me too much forewarning.

The music in the game is good, I like the music they play when you encounter a hard enemy such as the giant snake. The save room music gave you that feeling of relief from ducking and dodging zombies all day.

Gameplay
The gameplay for this is what I consider good. I've heard many many many complaints that one of the bad things about this game are the camera angles, and I have to disagree with them 100%. The camera angles are what give this game it's charm, because there are times in the game that you are suprised by an enemy and that's what gets me excited, not like the re4 camera angle that gives you full view of everything before hand thus making it not as scarry/exciting. The one flaw I did find was the movement of the characters themselves, they moved in what I like to call a "square" movement. When you turn 1) take too long to turn towards the direction you want to go unless it's a 180 degree turn (that's one is fast though) and 2) they seem to turn in sections too much. If they would've fixed that problem then the game's gameplay would've been better than it already is.

The one very good thing they added to the game were the crimson heads. If you don't blow off a zombie (i'm talking about it's head you pervs AND i'm talkin bout the head on it's shoulders) or incinerate it it'll sometimes come back as one of those ruthless crimson heads. The crimson heads look just like a regular zombie except.. you guessed it, their heads are red, or crimson, thus the reason for the name. These bastards run after you with brute force and slash the hell out of you. If you are stuf in a small place with more than one of these bad boys you better hope you have a first aid spray for each crimson head because they do major damage. At first playing this game I didn't see a crimson head until I'm strolling down the hall and he just levetates upwards and runs after me. That had gave me a shock.

The puzzles in the game were good. I would've hate to see this game go in the direction of RE4 and have nothing but action. The puzzles made the game better imo and made it more fun. There were a couple that were damn near impossible (or at least for my pigeon-sized brain) to do without a guide.

Scores

Story - 9.5/10: It had a good story to start the series off with.
Graphics - 9/10: I have to say they improved much on this new version from the old version and they did a nice job with it.
Sounds - 7.5/10: Although they used realistic sounds there was sometimes a lack of bg music where they needed it, and as I said with the zombies apple-crunching footsteps it made.
Gameplay - 8/10: Excellent gameplay, excpet for the couple of flaws that I stated about the manual turning which hurt the score a bit.
Overall - 9/10: This game is very much worth going out to get.

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/residentevil/images/screenshots/re1/12.jpg
This is a pic I found of the original RE for psx, the graphics just don't compare with the remake.

LanceCalvis
10-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Well I thought I'd take a stab at it and make some reviews of my own.
My first one is on the Nintendo DS game Yugioh Nightmare Troubadour. Ok I'm going to say this, if you've played the yugioh game for GBA where you can walk around it's very similar to Troubadour. You start off with a deck and depending on which questions you answere in the beginning of the game depends on which deck you get, I thought that was kinda good that they give you a random deck even though they did do something like that in another yugioh game. The gameplay is good, just like the official game. From what I heard there are over 1000 cards to get and they include the newer cards. You can "walk" around in the over-view map and when the circle turns red that means there's someone nearby to duel with. Once the duel begins you do that little rock paper siscors thing to see who goes first. In the battle the top screen is used to display the field in 3D. I thought that monsters were going to be a bit more 3D than they were, but there are some that they show in full 3D. The others are shown from either the front or back and the more or less look like a 3D image than an actual 3D figure. I do like when you defeat a monster how the card explodes. The music in the game could've been better. I was hoping for more hyped up and fast pace music but it wasn't there. And also they added a shop to the game. Instead of having to wait after you battle to get a booster deck, if you have any money you can go to the shop and buy a pack of cards and not just only 1 deck but if you have enough for like 3 or 4 you can buy them unlike in Eternal Dualist Soul for gba where you can only get 1 pack of cards after dueling. They still have that password machine where if you have the little code from the bottom of the card you can input it into the game and then you'll have the card, but they've changed it. I believe it's now 1,000 to get a card from a password. I didn't really like that too much because I have a whole deck of real yugioh cards and I would like to use them in the game, but I have to pay every time I want to get one of the cards. Some things get a little confusing because you have to wait for certain times of the day (in game time, not real life time) in order to advance in the game. I didn't really like that too much.

Gameplay - 8/10
Sound/Music - 4/10
Controls - 7.5/10
Enjoyment - 7.9/10

Would I recommend this game - yes

My next review will be on advance wars dual strike for the ds. I won't make the review until I've played enough of the game to actually know what I'm talking about. I hope you enjoyed the review and if I should add more or take away details feel free to let me know. :thumb-up:

Sounds cool, everything sounds like a plus to me. That 1000 gold thing per card to use a code was put there due to alot of kids abusing it. I remember in this one gameboy yugioh game I even printed out a complete list of every card code in the game so the 1000 makes you choose which ones are worth spending that for it. Hopefully 1000 is hard to get because if it is not there will still be alot of abuse in the game.

MarionetteKazuk
10-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Sounds cool, everything sounds like a plus to me. That 1000 gold thing per card to use a code was put there due to alot of kids abusing it. I remember in this one gameboy yugioh game I even printed out a complete list of every card code in the game so the 1000 makes you choose which ones are worth spending that for it. Hopefully 1000 is hard to get because if it is not there will still be alot of abuse in the game.

Yeah I kinda abused that as well in the yugioh eternal duelist soul. The thing is I wouldn't go online and get the passwords a lot because my sister has a bunch of yugioh cards. But yeah it's quite hard to get 1000 points for that machine. It makes everything more realistic like you have to earn a card to unlock. It takes many battles just to earn enough to unlock one card, but I'd rather buy the booster packs from the shop that's in the game which cost 150 per pack. I'd rather pay 150 per pack than 1000 per card. :donno:

MarionetteKazuk
12-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Ok, I thought it was time that I did it and make a mario kart ds review. Now I know most of you have already played it, but my reviews aren't just for informing people of games but to give my insight on them as well.

Story
The sinister bowser has kidnapped..... wait... wrong game. There actually isn't a story in this game (unlike speed racer). The main goal of this game is to beat off of the cups and races

Gameplay
9.5/10

In this game you can choose (in single player mode) from:
Grand Prix
Time Trials
Vs
Battle
Mission

What I like is that in the battle you don't have to have more than 1 DS system to play, because you can play against the computer. They have only 2 battles and they seem decent enough to play, although the ballon battle kinda ticks me off because they always start me off with one balloon for some damn reason.

In the Grand Prix mode you can initally choose from the 50, 100 or 150 cc. Later in the game after gaining certain trophies you can unlock the 150cc mirror mode. I've been wondering why don't they have a mirror mode for the other cc but it matters not to me because I enjoy playing the 150cc more than the other two.

Within the grand prix after picking which level (50,100,150cc) you can choose your player and your kart. What I like about this game which is similar to double dash is that you can pick a cart and depending on which kart you pick will affect the game such as your speed, acceleration, wight, handling, drift and items. After picking your kart you choose the cup to race in. Now there are two categories of Grand Prix. There's the Nitro Grand Prix which has newer courses, and then there's the Retro Grand Prix which in each cup has a level from the former mario kart games. What I like is the retro cup because you get to play some of the older course.

As far as handling the kart goes in the game and the button configuration is all good. For some reason (and I don't know if this is just me), but in the 50cc the karts seem to go slower than in the 150cc. I've heard a few people say the game goes slow as far as the kart's speed, but it's not true imo they seem to be going about the same as in double dash when you're playing the 150cc.

What I didn't like about the game, but it isn't too big of a problem, is how that in Super Mario Kart (snes) they had an option that if you lost a race (4th place or lower) you could retry and they took a life away from you. But it may be a good thing they took it out because now you'll be required to do your best to get good records. Also the drifts in the game are very good.

I unfortunately still can't get the wfc play to work, so I can't really say how good the online play is, but everything I've heard was good except for if you have a crappy router then you'll get disconnected very often.

The objects in the game such as shells are good in this game. They replaced the chainchop weapon from double dash with a giant bullet bill instead. Also with the new weapon of the squid that inks your screen so to block your view temporarily comes very useful in races. But they still have most of the classic weapons such as the red/green/blue shells and the starman.
Graphics
9/10

The graphics in the game were a LOT better than the N64 version. In the N64 version the characters looked like paper... along with a lot of other objects as well. In this game has actual 3D caharaters. Even though this one is better than the n64 one, but still doesn't look as good as the gc's it still had good graphics.

Sound
10/10
This game has good sound. When you bump into another character they beep at you and when you pass up another character you make a cheer. The sound quality itself is good as well.

Conclusion
I would highly recommend that if you have a ds and haven't got mario kart yet that you should. It's a fun entertaining game and I would bet that you'll be playing for hours.

MarionetteKazuk
12-10-2005, 07:06 PM
This is another game from Konami. I first played this game looong ago when I rented it from a video store (blockbust I believe.... before it became crappy). The cover of the game is what really got my attention. I looked at the back of the box and read through it and it seemed good. I rented it played it.... LOVED it!

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/3471/zombies14dl.gif

Story
Zombies have shown up in the neighborhood and it's up to YOU to save the people from these lifeless enemies.

Graphics
This game was on both the Genesis and SNES. I didn't see a difference in graphics between the two. The graphics at the time were good and they went well with the game.

Gameplay
The gameplay was good for it's genre.
You had to go around and save all of the regular humans on the level and keep them from getting killed. If the last human left gets killed then it's game over.

I like the weapons the use such as the soda cans, dishes, forks and my all-time favorite the potions, one of which does random effects and the other (the more favorite of mine) which turns you into a unstoppable monster.

The "bosses" they had in the game were challenging, but fun (like all of the levels). One of the bosses I can remember right off hand is the giant baby. The final boss is a bitch to beat, but the game for the most part was very good.

Sounds
The background music is very weird in the game, it makes this game a good halloween game to play because of it. Also the sound effects are good. One sound that some of you may remember very good is from the evil dolls (chucky dolls) from the mall and factory levels. The screams of the humans when they were killed was a disappointment for me just because you knew that someone was killed on the game.

Gameplay - 9/10: Excellent gameplay, there could've been a couple of improvements such as the player requiring to press a button at the door to open it instead of just walking and hitting it on accident sometimes which caused you to lose a key. But overall is a very fun game.

Sound - 10/10: Remember what era this game was made in and at the time the sound for the game was good.

Graphics - 10/10: This is during the genesis/snes era so the graphics are the graphics that they had at the time, but for this game the graphics went well with it.

Temujin
12-10-2005, 07:55 PM
OMG! Zombies! I used to play this game for hours and hours when I was about 11 or12. It's one of my favorite Megadrive games - it's such a fun and comic game! In fact I think I might go dig it out and have a quick go on it later, haven't played it for ages. Wicked review of a fun game that brings me memories.......... MOOHAA! MOOHAA!

Icarus4578
12-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I liked Zombies Ate My Neighbors, or ZAMN for short, better on the SNES. Probably because the music is so much better.

MarionetteKazuk
12-12-2005, 11:16 AM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4892/supermariobros2007qf.png

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5359/supermariousa009ji.png

This game was originally Doki Doki Panic, but was changed into a super mario game. Also the name is also different, the english version is called Super Mario Bros 2 while the japanese version is called Super Mario Bros USA, that's because the original super mario bros 2 was exactly like the first super mario bros game as far as gameplay goes, but not only that, the developers for the original smb2 (japanese version) thought the game would be too hard for american gamers.

Ok, now that the history lesson is out of the way, time for the review.

Story:
When Mario opened a door after climbing a long stair in his dream, another world
spread before him and he heard a voice call for help to be freed from a spell.
After Awakening, Mario went to a cave nearby and to his surprise he saw exctly
what he saw in his dream...

Gameplay:
This game has some obviously different gameplay from super mario bros 1. What's different is that for starters there are more characters such as peach (toadstool), luigi and toad.

Each character has a different "ability" which may be more usefull in some levels than others, for example peach can float for a certain period of time, toad can pick up items and enemies very fast and luigi has his odd levetation jump. Mario doesn't seem to have any kind of special abilities except take shrooms. I will tell you this, you can get through the whole game with just one character, it's not a necessity that you change characters every level, I've gone through the whole game with peach and nobody else, so it is possible.

The levels themselves are good/weird too. They vary and don't seem very repetitive. There are some levels made of sand, others snow, some regular.

This game differs from smb1 also with the enemies. They have a lot more of them and they are some odd-looking ones at that, such as the shy guy, birdo (my favorite enemy) and many more. The bosses are also a good fight, but if you're as skilled as many smb2 players (including myself) you can get through the bosses in seconds. And speaking of bosses, wart is the most off the wall boss I've seen. I guess all of the reptiles and amphibians are out to get mario and kidnap peach for some reason.

Graphics:
This game is a step up in graphics from smb1, not a big step but a noticable one. There is a lot more movement in this game and also you can "scroll" the screen, which means unlike smb1 when the screen shifts as you run you can go back, in smb1 if the screen moved that was it. There are more details in the character/enemy sprites as well.

Sound:
Every super mario game seems to have their share of odd music and sounds, but this one has some of the oddest, such as hitting an enemy with a turnip (nindalf) and even the background music is on the wierd side. All of this, imo, is due to that this wasn't originally supposed to be a super mario game and they left the original sounds and music from the previous (original game). Even with the sounds and music being as odd as they are it didn't make the game any less good. My favorite music is from the final boss wart, it gives that ending of the game feeling.

Story - 6.5/10: This wasn't an original mario story which was a downer for me.

Gameplay - 9/10: The character's movements were good for the most part, but luigi was probably the most difficult of the 4 to menuver. The levels were most enjoyable however.

Graphics - 8.5/10: As I said the graphics were better than smb1, but were still on the low end of the chart.

Sounds - 9/10: It had some of the weirdest sounds and music and to me made the game more fun to listen to them while playing.

Icarus4578
12-12-2005, 04:51 PM
SMB2 was cool and all but SMB3 is way better!

MarionetteKazuk
12-14-2005, 01:46 AM
As a kid I had grew up watching a show called The Busy Town of Richard Scarry. Then years later I got sega channel and there was a game about it. So I had gave it a try.

Story
There isn't a "single" or "whole" story, but there are missions in the game that you must complete such as running a shop, delivering items, being a firefighter, building a house and many more.

Gameplay
As I said there are different missions in the game and they're not all played the same and the gameplay changes with each mission.

The mission with the building the house you must put a new roof on the house and installing appliances and moving the furniture.

Another mission is moving items to different places. You must use a delivery truck and get items from the factory and deliver them to different places while avoiding potholes and other obstacels.

One of the missions... which isn't really considered a mission is going to the park/beach and you play as a very very small (about 3 ft) tornado and you can move around and "interact" with the objects on the screen.

Graphics
I'm not sure if they had an snes version of this game, but I've played it on the genesis. The graphics weren't too bad for a children's game, I know it sure will catch their eye with the bright colors and all.

Sound
Theis had some very low-sounding background music that you can barely hear while playing the game. They had a variety of misc and random sound effects that more or less went appropriately with the action being done such as the hammer sound effect when roofing the house. They even had voices on the game when you do certain actions.

Story - 7/10
Me being 19 (going on 20) I can't really judge the stories in the game too much right now, but at the age when I played this game some years ago the stories themselves weren't interesting, just what you had to do in the game was.

Gameplay - 9/10
I do have to say the gameplay was quite enjoyable, and without that same gameplay I'd probably would've gave a rat's @ss about it.

Graphics 9/10
For some reason the characters seemed really fat in the game, but then again they were fat on the show, and they were all short, so basicly they were dwarfs. But this was a kids game and they usually don't have the best of graphics anyways regardless of how powerful the machine is.

Sound 6/10
As I said the background music was very low and was a bit hard to hear. THe sound effects were good, but theyr'e sound effects that are probably a lot easier to make than the background music.
-------

I don't know why I reviewd this game, I just felt that I had to get it out of the wya for some reason.

Icarus4578
12-14-2005, 04:39 AM
I request, nay, demand you review Space Harrier. And remember this: I'm WATCHING you!

MarionetteKazuk
12-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I request, nay, demand you review Space Harrier. And remember this: I'm WATCHING you!

Y-y-y-y-y-y-y esssss sir. I'll make the review within a week, or at least try my best. Now where'd I live my car keys....?

MarionetteKazuk
12-16-2005, 11:53 PM
You've read correctly. A while ago (in the DC days) they made a game of the ring titled The Ring: Terror's Realm. I had first played this game from a bootleg disk I got from a friend and believe it or not they sold this game in stores as well.

Story
The story begins with our good friend Robert who works in what seems to be some kind of biological lab. One day Robert was discovered dead at his house and his body was disfigured and his girlfriend Meg also found out about this. Meg was eventually giving the position that Robert had at his job and was to take over the project he was working on. Meg finds out that Robert wasn't the only one who died from that lab and also they all died at the same time. When the bodies (including Robert's) were discovered, they had a program running called Ring. While in Robert's former office, Meg finds his laptop there, she opens it and finds the Ring program running and decides to do a little snooping of her own. She's taken to another world where she is introduced to some guy that should be from Splinter Cell. She's given a tutorial on how to move ( i guess she's crippled or something). She's also finding out about the ring virus and what not. Afterwards is brought back to real word where she revieves a phone call.... "Seven Days". So Meg goes in search to find out why Robert (and the other deceased employees) died.

The story doesn't seem the same as the one from the movie. For one the woman is working in a biological lab, 2 there's a computer program instead of a video tape, but for the most part it's basicly the same story.

[b]Gameplay
I has been a good while since I've played this game. The gameplay wasn't good and it wasn't bad either. It was that kind that took a bit of getting used to. I like the fact that you can go into that virtual world and fight those demon monekys from hell. The gameplay in the virtual world seems better imo only because you can use guns and it's a lot darker, in fact it's pitch black unless you have your flashlight on. There are different tasks that you must perform throught the game. Some are easy and some are a bit difficult. There's not much to interact with in the game except the curtains in the patient rooms and some of the lockers and the key items in the game. In the "real world" of the game it seemed a bit too empty. You would walk around for hours and won't find anyone until you absolutely have to see another person in the game in order to advance.

The weapons were ok, but not very good. I do however like that shotgun in the game, it'll blow those monkeys to next tuesday. The regular guns don't do squat against the giant gorrillas, but they will do something to the "normal" sized ones.

What I found odd is that there's no talking in this game at all except for a handfull of cutscenes. She does talk though in the movie at the beginning where they discover her boyfriend (robert) dead.

Graphics
This game had decent graphics. I was going to say it looked a bit too bright in the "real world" of the game, but it does take place in a well-lit lab so I guess it's normal to have that kind of lighting. The faces on the characters looked semi-real, but meg's face looked more fake than the rest.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/1913/bg313is.jpg
(One of those demon monkeys in the dark)

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/6866/bg295aa.jpg
(That guy giving meg a tutorial)

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7383/bg030ms.jpg
(Here's Meg)

Sound
The game plays the same background music foverver in the "real world". At some points the music fades away and then "springs" back up. I don't remember there being anything else worth mention as far as sound goes.

Story - 7/10: This game was a bit out the way of the original story, but they did manage to make a playable game out of it.

Gameplay - 7/10: The gameplay wasn't too bad, but there could've been some improvements on it

Sound - 6/10: The bg music was too repetitive. Had they added more bg music then it would've have been as bad.

Graphics 8/10: Not extremely stunning, but they are decent graphics and aren't very very crappy either.
-------------------------------------------

I would say this game is worth bootlegging if you can't find any other game to play, but as far as paying anything more than $15 for it isn't worth it, although I don't think it even cost that much if it's still sold in any stores.

MarionetteKazuk
12-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Ok, I just downloaded and burned this game about an hour ago for the DC.

Story
To be honest, I don't know the story behind this game. The only thing I do know is that you must fight through 3 different difficulties in order to get to the final boss and destroy him.

Gameplay
The gameplay is similar to house of the dead in the sense that it's a fps that where you can't move the caracter around yourself, but instead the screen moves for you. You must blast the enemies ont he screen to oblivion with your water pistol... i mean gun.

There are different kinds of guns in the game such as the regular hand gun, machine gun, shotgun, magnum and a couple of other ones.

The enemies will show up on the screen and you must use the joystick on the controller to move the cursor around and depending on your button configurations the A button is used to shoot and the B to reload. There's an option for auto-load, but I decided not to use it because to me it would seem like having auto-lock like in other fps games because you'll be shooting without worry of reloading that that takes away from the gameplay.

There are (as I said earlier) 3 different modes in the game which are beginner, medium (i think it was medium or novice) and expert, non of which really seem too much different except in the expert mode the victims don't scream (at all) before they come strolling on the screen looking for their lost car keys.

In the game you'll ecounter a victim, which means while you're on a shooting spree with the enemy occasionally a random "resident" will walk onto the screen and if you shoot them you will get a life point taken away from you. And speaking of life points you can also set how many of those you have by default and how many continues.

The game play is good for the most part and you can adjust the cursor speed, etc which is good if you want to have a quicker or slower cursor.

Graphics
The graphics are that of the arcade version, which the characters and enemies have a very low polycount. But good graphics aren't really necessary in this game however.

Sound
I went through this game so fas that I can't remember any of the music in the game, in fact, I don't think it even had any background music. It did have some decent sound effects when shooting the guns, and also the enemies had the realist scream of being shot in the hand.

Scores
Storyline - 6/10: This game didn't seem to have a story line and if getting to the end of the game to destroy a madman is considered the story of the game then it's not a very good one.

Gameplay - 9/10: The game has very good controls, even with the controller, but since I didn't use the gun (nor do I own it) it took a bit away from the gameplay.

Graphics - 7.5/10: As I said the graphics are like that of the arcade version and have a low polycount. I think they could've had them a bit better considering that house of the dead 2 had some decent graphics.

Sound - 7/10: The game could've used some background (low background) music. Not too loud. The sound effects were good which gave it a decent score.

Should you play it?
Yes. This game is a very good shooter and with the light gun it'll be an even better experience. The controller is good to use with it as well, so it's not a total loss without the gun.

MarionetteKazuk
12-23-2005, 01:49 PM
The sequel to the TXR game for DC....well this one is on DC as well.
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/469/extremeracer2cover24gd.jpg

Story
There's no story in the game, there are quests however. You quest is to drive through the dark highways in Tokyo and defeat the rival cars in a race.

Gameplay
The point of this game is (as I said) to drive through the highways in Tokyo and find a rival race car and race against them to earn credits.

You can buy a car at the start of the game. You don't have much money (credits) on you initially, but it's still enough to buy a B-Class car. There are three classes of cars, A, B, and C, or course C class cars aren't as good as A or B, B isn't as good as A but is better than C.

If you win the race you earn credits, if you lose you don't. The way the races are setup is easy. First you drive through the highway and if you spot a rival car (which will be indicated by a little arrow above their car and also on the map) you must get close enough to them to flash your high beams at them ( :rolleyes: ), when the enemy sees your beams that will initiate the race. Then you'll get a count down from three and then the race starts. While your driving (not racing though) your car doesn't seem to go fast, but once a race starts you can go even faster than you normally could, so don't go thinking that the race is going to be very crappy. During the race you must also avoid the other cars on the highway which (if bumped into) can slow you down, and also bumping into the guard rails will slow you down as well. When racing, which ever player is behind the other will drain their life meter, so for example if your racing against the computer and you're behind them your energy meter will drain down. Depending on how far behind you (or the computer) is will determin the amount of enery being drained, the further behind the more energy is drained. The race is over once someone's energy bar is completely empty. If you win you'll get credits which you can use towards buying newer parts, stickers for your car, paint job, or if you have enough, a new car.

With you car it's quite customizable such as suspention and brakes, how low or high one end of the car is, so if you want the front end to be higher than the back (or visa versa) you can. Buying new parts can improve the car performance depending on which kinds of parts you buy. However, some "good" parts may make your car faster, but there are also some that are heavy parts which could slow your car down a bit.

There are different modes in the game, and quest mode is probably the best imo. The highway is endless, but you can take different routes while driving, so if you come at a cross you can pick which way to go. Also at the beginning of the game you can pick which part of the map you start on.

You can also adjust the view, so you can have a 3rd person perspective (a few different kinds of them at that) and a FP perspective where you're inside the car.

Graphics
This game has very good graphics and they've done a very good job with it. The lighting is what impressed me the most seeing as this game takes place at night, the street lights on the highway are the only source of light besides yours (and other car's) headlights. The shadowing is also good. And they did a good job with the lights on the car's roof moving as your car is moving to give that effect that you're actually driving.

http://img439.imageshack.us/img439/3223/txr224gc.jpg

Another thing about this game that wasn't in the first one is that now the computers can challenge you to a race, so if you're driving in front of them they'll challenge you and you can accept the race if you want to.

Sound
The sound effects of the cars are real such as the engine, breaks, etc. There's at least background music in the game, and it's very low-sounding which goes well with the night theme of the game. Other than the car's sound effects and the background music there's really nothing more worth mentioning about the sounds

Scores
Story - 8/10: Although this game doesn't have a story, it's still good that you can choose which enemies you race.

Gameplay - 9.5/10: The racing in this game is good and doesn't really leave you bored. Even just driving through the highway is still pretty good. The ability to buy parts and upgrade and customize your car's performance and looks is good as well.

Graphics - 9/10: The game has very well-done graphics. I like the night theme of the game which helped with that.

Sounds - 8.5/10: It had realistic sounds to it and was probably the best they could get it at, but still good none the less.

Conclusion
This game is worth buying if you would see it in the stores. I believe they have it for Xbox as well, although I haven't played it, but if it's anything like the dreamcast ones then it's definitely worth picking up.

MarionetteKazuk
01-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I figured in my sleep-deprived state I may as well make a review.
System: NES
Players: 1

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/33/dejavu8wi.gif

Story:
You awaken dazed inside a stall in the men's bathroom. You have dried blood on your right palm.... but no pain there, but there's a puncture wound on your left arm. You have no idea who you are and can't seem to remember the least bit. You must go in search of clues to remember who you are

Gameplay:
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/1538/dejavu20dz.png
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5966/dejavu36yp.jpg
This game is a first-person point and click-type of game. You must move the cursor around the screen with the d-pad and you can click different options on the screen such as open, close, examine, etc, etc. These options will be useful in the game. IMO I think the cursor moves a bit too slow.

Reading certain things will automatically save to your memo. Such as if you read an paper and it has an address on it, it will be stored in your memo.
You'll have an inventory screen. Almost any item you pick up will be stored there. Also some items will have items within them, such as the envelope having the key inside of it.

For the most part the gameplay is good. It's easy to figure out what to do on the screen if you have the I.Q. of a walnut.

Graphics:
The game doesn't have horrible graphics for the system it's on. They attempt to make realistic-looking pictures on some parts such as [spoiler]when you see the picture of yourself upstairs[/b], but the rest of the game is pretty plain.

Sound:
The background music gives more of that detective-like sound which is good for this game. I like the title screen music for some reason. They also try to give that "suprise" music when somethign sudden happens. Not very bad music, imo, for this game.

Scores
Story 8.5/10: It's a pretty decent story, a man loses his memory and he must find it. The story has some good gameplay to back it up though.

Gameplay 9/10: The game is pretty fun to play and is one of those mystery games, so it'll take some thinking. The only flaw I see is that the cursor moves to slow for me. Had they made a feature where if you press select it'll cycle through the commands then that would've been a lot more useful.

Graphics 7/10: Not the best graphics in the world, but at least they tried.

Sounds 8/10: I like the background music in the game, but some of it seems to be very repetitive. I'm not sure if it was because I walked through the same rooms about 3 million times, but they should've made a different bg music for each room, or at least made it so a random one comes up.

Conclusion
It's a fun game to play. As I said it involves some thinking other than just shooting or jumping (which it has a tad bit of those two though). Mystery games are always good to solve.

Havoc2049
01-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Nice reviews, MarionetteKazuk. They bring back some memories. You have a good taste in games. Zombies Ate My Neighbors was actually developed by LucasArts, or I think they were still known as Lucasfilm Games back then. Konami just published it.

I have Deja Vu I & II(one cart) for my GBA. I need to re-play it and finally finish them. I did finish Deja Vu many moons ago on ye olde C-64, but was a slacker on the GBC version.

MarionetteKazuk
01-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Not only did I not know they had deja vu 1 + 2 for gba, but I didn't even know there was a deja vu 2. Deja vu is also like that game shadowgate... and some other game, I can't remember the name of. But while I was in class someone was playing shadowgate on the pc with an nes emulator and I was like "Is that deja vu?" and he said "Deja who?" (lol) and he said it was shadow gate and the gameplay is exactly the same as deja vu, which was made by the same company.

LucasArts, or I think they were still known as Lucasfilm
I thought so too, but I went to a website to find out who they were made by, at first I assumed lucasarts/lucasfilm, but some site said konami and I was like :confused: , so I had put that. I know maniac mansion was done by lucasfilms though.

B.B. Gambini
01-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I would say that anyone who owns a DC (or even those who don't) should buy this game. For me it's not enough to play or rent the game but it's a must buy.

yes indeed, i rented this game, and later bought it 3 different times :lol:

Havoc2049
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Here you go. You can probably get it for dirt cheap. :)

GBC, Deja Vu I & II, Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Deja-Vu-1-2-Game-Boy-Color-Brand-New-Sealed-in-box_W0QQitemZ8247054228QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Shadowgate is also on the GBC. It appeals to the D&D crowd(geeks, :D ) though, so it usaully goes for a little more.

Shadowgate, GBC (http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-SHADOWGATE-CLASSIC-SEALED-NEW-GAME-BOY-COLOR_W0QQitemZ8246971034QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Mindscape published all these adventure games, based on the same game system, for the C-64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC and Mac. Eventually, they made their way to the NES and years later, the GBC. The best versions were on the 16-bit Amiga and Atari ST. They also made a horror adventure game called, The Uninvited, which was excellent and also made it's way to the NES. Not sure if The Univited made it to the GBC though.

MarionetteKazuk
01-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Here you go. You can probably get it for dirt cheap. :)

GBC, Deja Vu I & II, Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Deja-Vu-1-2-Game-Boy-Color-Brand-New-Sealed-in-box_W0QQitemZ8247054228QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Shadowgate is also on the GBC. It appeals to the D&D crowd(geeks, :D ) though, so it usaully goes for a little more.

Shadowgate, GBC (http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-SHADOWGATE-CLASSIC-SEALED-NEW-GAME-BOY-COLOR_W0QQitemZ8246971034QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Mindscape published all these adventure games, based on the same game system, for the C-64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC and Mac. Eventually, they made their way to the NES and years later, the GBC. The best versions were on the 16-bit Amiga and Atari ST. They also made a horror adventure game called, The Uninvited, which was excellent and also made it's way to the NES. Not sure if The Univited made it to the GBC though.

Ah..., I think Uninvited was the other game that I played as well. Is it a game where you have to go into this house and there's this ordinary (or what seems to be) lady standing in the hall? If so then I haven't beat that game yet, I forgot why, but I think it was because I took too long or something and my character died. Come to think of it I didn't beat deja vu either, I got to the ending (i think). I know I was following a strategy guide after a while because I was stuck on this one part forever. Thanks for the links btw. :thumb-up:

Beam
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
hey i remember zombies ate my neighbors, and it was a great game to boot. but my all time favorite game was rock'n'racing for the snes.

Vicviper
01-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Good reviews Marionette.

Super Mario 2 is in my top 3 favorite Mario titles of all time. What a great game and so different from anything else at the time. I remember beating the game in under an hour many many many times with the warp trick. I also really liked the last boss. He rivals Bowser in the evil catagory.

Zombies is a good game also. I enjoyed that one for the most part. I did like the sound effects and music but for me the game was a tad hard but still fun to play.

I should try Deja Vu as I really liked Shadowgate and Sword of Hope 1&2 for GB. Have you tried Sword of Hope? Definetely worth it.

MarionetteKazuk
01-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Sword of Hope? Nah, I've never played that. If you like shadow gate then you'll like Deja Vu really good, and also Uninvited, those two games have the exact same gameplay as Shadow Gate.

MarionetteKazuk
03-11-2006, 07:13 PM
It's been a while since I've reviewed anything, and since I have a bit of free time right now I may as well do one.

Ok, this one's on the N64 version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Story: The story of this game is just basicly continuing from the previous MK games. You have to join the tournament and defeat the opponents and also defeat Shao Kahn (once again). In actuallity there's many different story lines because depending on who you use to win will affect the story's outcome and it'll show the story at the end of the game.

Graphics: The graphics were better on here than the previous MK games. The only problem with them though is that the characters to me seemed bigger on the screen than the previous mk games, but it wasn't a very big problem.

Gameplay: The fighting wasn't entirely great, there were some things about it that I didin't like including the glitches in some parts. The fighting is kinda slow in the game, basicly since I've been playing a lot of face-paced fighting games like marvel vs capcom 2, guilty gear, etc. The character selections were pretty good, they had a decent amount of characters.

Sound: The bg music in the game was good and fit the levels. Also the sound effects were done nicely, although some seemed to have just been ripped from the snes/genesis ultimate mk3 games.

Scores
Story: 7/10 - The stories aren't really great in the game imo.
Graphics: 8/10 - The graphics were good, but they could've done a bit better in some areas.
Gameplay: 7/10 - The gameplay wasn't exactly good, but not bad either.
Sound: 7/10 - The sounds were good, but as I said some seemed like they were ripped from a previous mk game.

Get/Play it?
The game is pretty much worth playing if you like MK 3 and Ultimate MK 3, but really I would rather play other fighting games than this one.

Dracula
03-12-2006, 07:34 AM
I played this game to death back in 98, or was it 97? In any case, I agree with your review, it was enjoyable for what it was.

MarionetteKazuk
03-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Another genesis flashback.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/6923/themeparkss0ey.png

Theme Park

Story(made up) You are the owner of a small theme park. Your mission is to make it succesfull by setting up rides, attractions, etc and keep your park up and running.

Gameplay:
The gameplay was good for it's time. It's a pretty simple gameplay compared to something like Rollercoaster tycoon. Everything is pretty much pre-made, like the rides, for the exception of a few where you can set a course or track. You can change the admission price (if any) for a ride or the price of food and the main admission fee for the park. You can hire different kinds of staff like maintanance men, mechanics, clowns and security guards, but of course they (like everything else) costs money. I don't recall the walkways costing any money. You can set all the rides and what not pretty much anywhere you want within the park's boudaries.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/5317/themeparkgs0qw.png

Graphics:
The graphics had more of a kiddy feel to them, seeing as this is aimed towards kids and plus a theme park has to be "Happy". Really I can't complain about the graphics, they fit the game for the most part.

Sounds:
The music was a theme park style of course and did go well with the game. There was also other misc sounds that were threw in there. Same as the graphics I can't complain really.

Scores
Story: Well, since there was no real story (made one up) I can't give a score for it. You just basicly set your own path in the game..... literally.

Gameplay: 8/10 - The game was pretty enjoyable, but since it's targeted more for kids it's somewhat limited on what it can do.

Graphics: 7.5/10 - This game was on a genesis, so the graphics were horrible, (j/k of course), but they were kiddy, so yeah.

Sounds: 7/10 - Meh, the music went with the game, but if you play the game for more than 15 minutes it gets pretty annoying.

I would say if you haven't played this and you're bored out your mind you could give it a wirl. Don't buy the game, just download the rom.

Alexander
03-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Story: 7/10 - The stories aren't really great in the game imo.
Man, you over-review things. If a story isn't that great, it definitely doesn't deserve a seven, which is significantly above average. Here's a little scale that might help.

1: Worst story ever
2: Terrible
3: Bad
4: Somewhat interesting
5: Average
6: Good
7: Great
8: Extremely Great
9: Amazing
10: Best Story ever.

MarionetteKazuk
03-29-2006, 10:44 PM
The way I pretty much think of it is anything below a 6 isn't good, a 6 is somewhat interesting, 7 average, 8 great, 9 very good, 10 best story. Because to me (really to anyone else) 5 is 50% and that's not average to me.

Icarus4578
03-30-2006, 08:16 AM
With a title like Theme Park, are you actually expecting a classic?

Alexander
03-30-2006, 09:26 AM
The way I pretty much think of it is anything below a 6 isn't good, a 6 is somewhat interesting, 7 average, 8 great, 9 very good, 10 best story. Because to me (really to anyone else) 5 is 50% and that's not average to me.
The American school system has destroyed your sense of logic! 5 is the average of 0 and 10, whether it's "average to you" or not. What's the point of even having a scale that goes below 5 if 5 is bad?

Nindalf
03-30-2006, 11:44 AM

Theme Hospital was gold.

MarionetteKazuk
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
All my reviews aren't with just good games, just ones I've played regardless if they're bad or good. And I never said theme park was a classic.

MarionetteKazuk
09-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Been a while since I reviewed something.

!!!!There may be spoilers!!!!

The New Super Mario Bros.

This game is of course one of the many games in the super mario series.

Story: Mario and Peach are strolling through good ol Mushroom Kingdom when LIGHTNING STRIKES THE CASTLE!!3Q! Mario, being amazed by the lightning decides to take a gander at it. While he's doing that Bowser Jr. decides to continue the family business of kidnapping Peach. He steals her and of course Mario decides to follow him like an idiot.

Graphics: Graphically the game's good. Not everything is in 3D like I thought (the backgrounds for example) but it was still combined will with the 3D elements like Mario and the enemies. Everything's pretty sharp and smooth in the game, it's not all jaggie like some games (animal crossing wild world).

Gameplay: This one kinda combined some of the moves from other mario games, for example being able to do the buttstomp from SM64, the double jump is almost like the triple jump in SM64, also when you run Mario goes faster it seems than in the other mario games. Also the walljump from SM64 is also in there. More or less they took the moves from SM64 (or at least a good portion of them) and put them into play in this game. I was expecting to be able to punch in the game, but it was a no go with that. The other element they added from a previous mario game was from Super Mario World of being able to hold a 2nd item which imo is very good in some situations, especially in the castle levels. The items you can get are pretty limited, they include:
-Mushroom
-Tiny Mushroom
-Giant Mushroom
-1up Mushroom
-Fire Flower
-Blue Shell Suit

I'm not sure if there were any more but I'm almost positive there weren't. Speaking of items, the Giant Mushroom does do some good in the game than just utter destruction. Depending on how much you destroy will give you some 1-up mushrooms. The tiny mushroom's good for getting into small pipes, secret areas and also at the end of a couple of boss castles you can access new worlds. The blue shell suit is my least favorite because it seems at times when you don't want him to go into the shell he does and then sometimes when you want to come out of the shell (with just the shell on his back) he won't.

The toad house is a little spin from the ones on SMB3, it still has the same "random item" deal, but they're more random on NSMB unlike SMB3 where you could memories pretty much which box an item was in.

With the boss batttles, all of the battles with Bowser Jr. are pretty basic and repetitive, during the first battles with him you can just repeatidly shoot him with fireballs to defeat him or jump on him twice. Later he starts to go into his shell to reveal his spikes that can hurt you, but it's foiled with just jumping over him and then jumping on him when he comes out. Then finally during the final battles he actually throws shells at you which you must jump onto and throw back at him and then give him a good ol fashion stomping to defeat him. Also the first (and pretty much the 2nd) Bowser battles are just exactly like in SMB1. The 3rd Bowser battle is more complicated but still easy to defeat him.

There is a good amount of world and levels in the game, but there's too many of them that can be easily beaten which makes the game shorter. Also Luigi being in the game is a plus

The mini games were just recycled ones from the SM64 DS game, but they included a few new ones.

Sound: The music pretty much fitted the game, however they used the same tracks too many times in different levels and I know they could've added a lot more background music. The sound effects are dead on correct such as the throwing of the fireballs, stomping on enemies, etc.

Scores:
Story: 6/10, It's a recycled ass story line which as been used one too many times. But it was made up for in the gameplay

Graphics: 9/10, At first I wanted a full 3D game meaning the background and the characters,enemies, items were 3D, but it turned out (at least to me it seemed) that only the characters and the enemies were in 3D and the rest were very well-made 2D. But after playing the game it seems to contrast better with the 2D/3D mix.

Gameplay: 9/10, The gameplay's excellent. The only downfall is of the blue shell suit which is optional (just like all of the items) if you want to use it or not, but other than that the gameplay's nearly perfect.

Sounds: 7/10, The music was good, but used way too often and the sound effects were good which bumped the score up by 1.

Get/Play it?
Yes. Honestly it's worth the money to get. It's a bit too short, but has some replay value to it. I haven't tried out the multiplayer yet so I'm not sure if it's any good or not (should be good though).

Seraph
09-03-2006, 06:18 PM
We own that game, but its my little brothers and he wont let me play single player.

You forgot to make any mention of the multiplayer, which is hands down the funnest single cart multiplayer game on the DS. oh the hours my brother and I have wasted.

I like blue shell though, once you get the hang of it the thing lets you fly through levels ;D

MarionetteKazuk
09-03-2006, 06:22 PM
I haven't tried out the multiplayer yet so I'm not sure if it's any good or not

^ _ ^

Seraph
09-03-2006, 06:33 PM
what? you expect me to actually read your review before i comment on it?

i guess i just missed that part, find a freind with a DS now its an absolute blast

Alexander
09-03-2006, 06:42 PM
How you gave it a 6/10 in story is beyond me.

MarionetteKazuk
09-03-2006, 06:44 PM
*points to the sentences next to the scores*

SuperAngelo64
09-04-2006, 07:45 AM
They should've had the multiplayer part be online, it is really fun and my sister is a bitch and got sick of getting owned and won't play it anymore.

I totally agree about it lacking length, and there is a replay value but.. it's not as shining and most Mario games in that department.

Speaking of replay value, you forgot to mention you just sold your copy =P.

I like blue shell though, once you get the hang of it the thing lets you fly through levels ;D

It's only good for water levels (which are WAAAY too slow without it). Nothing is faster than chain-triplejumps ;D.

MarionetteKazuk
09-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah, i did sell mine, but before i did i replayed the game a good amount of times.

MarionetteKazuk
09-04-2006, 03:27 PM
http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acwwoo7.jpg
Animal Crossing: Wild World

Story: This game has no story to it. You basicly make up your own story depending on what you do in the game.

Graphics: The graphics are good, but some of the stuff is a bit jaggy, but it's not too jaggy so it doesn't bother me too much.

Gameplay: For any of you who have played the sims, it could be comparable to that. At the beginning a taxi driver is taking you to your destination, he'll ask where you're going and respond by putting the town's name. He'll also of course ask for your name and gender. He'll ask other questions that'll determine how your character will look like in the game. Once he's done rambling you'll arrive at your town. You have a house in the game which is upgradable by having Nook make the upgrades and paying him in bells (the currency in the game). You can do errands for the animals living there. At the beginning you work for nook and after a while you're basicly fired.

There are a lot of items to get in the game, some of the most common are the fruit on the tree which (from what i've seen so far) you can either eat it, sell it, or plant it in the ground and see if a tree will grow with that fruit. You can go to Nook's store and buy and sell stuff there as well. Nook's store is also upgradable. Depending on how many bells he makes from you buying his stuff will determine if he upgrades or not. Many things can be found like shells along the beach shore and also different bugs can be caught with the net, and fish can be caught with the fishing pole, all of which can be sold for bells.

Interacting with the characters is another feature. Sometimes if you talk to a character long enough they'll give you something to keep. And with the online play you can have people visit your town or you can visit their's, and not all of the towns look exactly the same. There isn't much to say about the online play except you can have up to 4 people in a town at once, and you can of course talk to them and trade stuff with them which is good in case you don't have an item that they have extras of, such as when welshfreak visited my town and gave me extra fruit he had to grow trees with ( :cool guy: ).

Of course there are other misc stuff that happens in the game such as wheather changes, season changes, hidden stuff like when you hit certain rocks with a shovel you can get money.

Controlling the character in the game is good because you can either use the d-pad or the touch screen. The touch screen is better if you want to walk/run the speed that you want, with the d-pad however you can either just walk or if you hold L/a/b you can run at full speed, so it's either/or with the d-pad. You don't exactly have to use the touchscreen much in the game, but sometimes it's better for some things than others.

Depending on what the date is will determine if there's an event or not, for example, some time in august they hold a bug-catching contest, after that you either have to wait a whole year for the contest to come around again......OR you can just adjust the clock to go back to that date again. And with changing the date (usually foward) a lot of weeds will grow in your town and the citizens don't like that. And a little tip for those who plan on getting this game, the color of your ds theme when you have the main ds screen where it shows pictochat, download play, etc, will determine your house's roof color at the beginning of AC.

Sound: There's always background music playing in the game, and it's not the annoying kind, it's usually a mellow-like sound. The characters in the game have a weird sound when they talk, but you can choose to have the sound on or off. Some of the character's houses have background music as well.

Scores:

Story: 6/10 - Not much of a story, but you can more of less make up what you do in the game for a story, but a good story could've been better.

Graphics: 8/10 - Not the best graphics for the ds that I've seen, but considering how much there probably is in the game they couldn't get the graphics better.

Gameplay: 9/10 - Good gameplay and there's the choice of using the touchscreen or not to move the character around. Also with the extras in the game it's good.

Sound: 8/10 - The sounds suit the game very well and they're not annoying songs either which of course is a plus, but they should've had more music.

Get/Play it?
So far I'm liking the game, so I say get it if you like the genre of the game, and since it has online play it's an added to it.

Alexander
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
You say it has no story and give it a 6/10. I don't understand your scoring system at all. Do 1-5 have a purpose?

SuperAngelo64
09-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Do 1-5 have a purpose?

PSP games.

MarionetteKazuk
09-04-2006, 11:27 PM
No story is better than a shitty story. Since you can somewhat make your own story in the game it's good. And i'm pretty sure i said this before, but you don't have to go by the score i give it, you can go by either actually reading the review on why i gave it the score or right next to the score when i give that "final thought".

Alexander
09-05-2006, 07:59 AM
But how can a game without a story be above average in the story department?

Just out of curiousity. Reviewers usually hate to go below 7.

Nindalf
09-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Why would someone talk about the Gameplay when scoring the Story?

EDIT: lolololol.

Icarus4578
09-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I'll refrain from commenting. I did not like AC for GC, so why would I like it for DS?

Review Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins for PSP if you have the chance.

MarionetteKazuk
09-05-2006, 09:02 AM
I didn't say you would like it for ds, i was referring to those who like those kinds of games. Also i've never played the gc version, but others have told me the ds version is better though.

MarionetteKazuk
01-10-2007, 12:14 PM
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4939/zblazingstardu2.png

*dustes off thread*
I've been playing some neo geo games latey and figured i'd review the games ^ _ ^
First up at bat is Blazing Star.

Story: At birth you were just a happy little space ship, when suddenly.......* BOOM* you're an adult and you must fight through level after level of unfamiliar enemies who may or may have not killed your parents. Pretty much the game doesn't have a story, it's a straight-foward overhead shooter with one goal of defeating the final boss.

Graphics: As with almost all of the NG games I've played so far, I'm impressed with the graphics. They did a fine job of making it look like an actual arcade game, especially compared to games that were on (for example) the genesis that were supposed to look arcade but didn't quite make it to that level, although altered beast was pretty close. But the arcade look gives the game a better feel, for me at least.

Gameplay: You have a choice of several ships to choose from at the beginning, each of them having their own way of shooting the weapons and have different powerups and charged weapons which can somewhat affect how well you'll play the game because while one ship may shoot more scattered "bullets" another might have a more accurate shot, and the same goes with the powered-up shots. During the main part of the game when fighting the enemies it plays pretty similar to Gradius (good game btw) but of course blazing star has a lot more to it. There are a lot of enemies on the screen at one time after you get past the boring first 20 seconds or so of the game. The only problem I had with the gameplay is that some of the bosses were a bit too easy to beat, which kinda disappointed me.

Sound: As with the graphics, the sounds have an arcade feel to them as well. There's not much I want to say about the sounds except that the background music was good and the announcers voice sometimes got annoying.

Scores

Story: There is not story what so ever.... so.... 10/10, j/k 1/10

Graphics: The visuals were really good and were arcade worthy, 10/10

Gameplay: Controlling the ship was smooth and the game has a high fun factor, again the bosses could've been better. 8/10

Sound: Good arcade sounds and music, annoying announcer. 9/10

Get/Play it?

Definitely. The game has really good replay value and even though the bosses aren't quite as challenging as I hoped, the rest of the game was done very good. If the neo geo wasn't a bajillion dollars and the game was easily available i'd pick up a copy myself.

Diavle
01-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Great review.

Its a really fun shooter, the mech-like enemies were a great addition.

Like with all shooters though, I get my ass handed to me pretty badly and walk away in shame.

MarionetteKazuk
01-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Magical Drop III
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2460/magicaldrop31vs1.gif

This is one of the other many neo geo games I've played recently, and I see it's made by Data East (didn't know that before).

Spoilers (not that they matter)

now that that's out the way

Story: I wasn't quite sure what the story was (didn't pay attention to it honestly), but basically you're going against one person after another in attempt to reach the final boss. I don't think there should even be a story for this type of game.

Graphics: http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5136/magdrop2ek8.jpg The game is colorful to say the least and has (of course) an anime style art to it. The art and the bouncy colors go together and pretty much suit the game. The layout of the game was done well along with the backgrounds you see on some of the other modes of the game.

Gameplay: The gameplay's excellent. It's almost like tetris mixed with columns. There are serveral rows of "balloons" at the top and you move the little guy at the bottom of the screen, the actual character you pick is too lazy to move the baloons, and you can (by some magical force) pull down a balloon, or a set of the same colored balloos and move them to their respective row/columns. When you line up a certain number of the same colored balloons they disappear and the number on the right goes down as you make more disappear. In challenge mode the match is over (from what i saw) if a player's counter reaches zero or one of the player's balloons reaches the ground first. I honestly did't play the other game modes too much except for magical journey i believe it was and it was good, it's just that i was too busy with the challenge mode :D

The first few matches aren't too exciting, but the later ones are pretty fast-paced and you have to move those balloons pretty fast if you hope to have a chance.

Sound: This game's got a lot of background sound to it, from the music itself to the sound effects from moving ballons and the announcer and characters talking. The music (as with the graphics) fits the game. I just found out by accident you can change the background music during gameplay which is a plus. I just found it funny how the characters sound when they're losing, but for the most part the sounds/music are pretty good.

Scores:

Story: There's a story in the game, but again I didn't feel the need for one and didn't pay much attention to it and the game would've been just fine without one. 4/10[b]

Graphics: The graphics are good, the eerily happy colors fit the game along with the anime art for it. I really couldn't find anything wrong in this dept. [b]10/10

Gameplay: Excellent gameplay. It has a lot of replay value, it's high-paced which is good for it's genre and it's challenging as you get further into it. 10/10

Sounds: Nice background sounds. They're not too distracting and actually sometimes help so you'll know if your enemy is losing and don't have to look over every time to check. 10/10

Buy/Play it?

Yes. It's a nice alternative to tetris if you've played that game to death. The replay value is good which of course is a plus for any game, and it's challenging. Definitely worth getting.

B.B. Gambini
01-11-2007, 03:40 PM
why dont you review guilty gear

MarionetteKazuk
01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
cuz i don't want to.

MarionetteKazuk
03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Now that my hand is pretty much healed up I can return to typing.

This time around I'll review the mmorg Silkroad Online.

Story: I can't think of what the story is, but I'm just going to copy the story from wikipedia.
Silkroad is based on the history of trading in China along the Silk Road, a historical network of trade routes in Southern Asia. The game attempts to reproduce the Silk Road in a much smaller scale, looking realistic and at the same time incorporating fantasy elements such as the use of special magical skills and abilities.

Gameplay: The gameplay is somewhat unique to me considering the only mmorpgs i've played were WoW and this one. The method of playing is double-clicking on an enemy to attack it repeatidly. Depending on how strong your character is will determine how much damage you'll deliver. If the monster is a lower level (alucard) and your character is a higher level (me) the monster will of course (just like in real life) will be defeated with ease.

Another important feature of the gameplay is the Skill points and Mastery skills. As you kill monsters you gain both Skill Points and Experience points. Skill points are used towards your mastery skills that you wish to use them for and the exp points of course level up your character's level. When you use skill points towards mastery skills, your mastery level rises. Now there's ways of going about leveling, if your mastery level is lower than your character level, you'll get more skill points per kill, if it's even or higher than your character level you get less. Same thing (as far as i know) goes for the exp points as well. That all together will change the game from either being easy to level up or hard to level up, it's up to the player.

Other things in the game include being able to open up your own shop to sell things you have and of course to be able to form Guilds.

Along with that stuff is the ability to be able to choose a job once you reach lvl 20.

Trader: Buys goods from one city and transports them to another city to get a large amount of gold.

Theif: Has to attack a trader that's transporting stuff. Them must take the trader's stuff and sell it on the black market. Theives can either be characters or computer controlled and shows up at random times.

Hunter: Protects traders from theives.

You can also buy silk online (with a credit card) and the silk can be used in the game to purchase different things. You don't have to buy silk, but that option's available for those that have too much time on their hands.

Graphics: The graphics are decent, but not extraordinary. The graphics look piss poor when set to a low quality. The only reason they look better is because of the Bloom effect when you set the graphics higher, which suits the game well better than other games, but even so it's not that great with it. It's good though to be able to set what graphical features are on (shadow effects, detailed textures, etc).

Sound: The background music of the game can get pretty annoying after a while, especially since I usually have winamp playing in the background, so i just turn the sounds off. Other than the bg music, the sound effects are pretty basic, an attack sound, characters yelling retarded, etc.

So now what?
Imho this game is a tad better than WoW considering it's got most of the stuff WoW has, with a few other features that are good. The graphics aren't exactly spectacular, but it's an online rpg and it's pretty much expected not to have great graphics. The game's free, so at least it won't be a waste of money, just a waste of time if you don't like it. But for the most part the game's good. It's 500mb and downloads pretty fast, within about 1/2 hour.

Alexander
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
You have no taste in MMOs.

MarionetteKazuk
03-12-2007, 12:06 AM
*gets out papers*
*clears throat*

And I quote...

Gameplay: The gameplay is somewhat unique to me considering the only mmorpgs i've played were WoW and this one

Meaning I haven't played many mmorpgs. So before you threw in your 2 cents about my taste in mmo's then maybe you should've read my post better. And you always seem to have something negative to say in here about my reviews, such as my rating of the games and now about the taste with games and i don't exactly go in your reviews criticizing. So if you have some odd problem with my reviews then just simply stop reading them because in my eyes your taste in games can be considered just as bad, if not worse.