PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Ken Lobb

Havoc2049
09-23-2002, 07:36 PM
You may remember Ken Lobb from Nintendo. He was a producer for NOA. Killer Instinct and Golden Eye. Remember the the Lobb gun in Goldeneye? He now works for Microsoft as the director of content and planning. Do you think he had input in buying Rare? :D

Here is the interview from the TGS over at gamespot. The man seems to know what he is talking about. Glad he works for Microsoft now.
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2881208,00.html

Thoughts about the interview?

WINDJAMMERS
09-23-2002, 08:22 PM
He says the GCN's game lineup is as bad as or worse than the N64's. Interesting....

Black Ace
09-23-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by WINDJAMMERS
He says the GCN's game lineup is as bad as or worse than the N64's. Interesting....

He's just a Microsoft's ventriloquist, saying only what Microsoft wants him to say.
:P

IoriYagami n8
09-23-2002, 11:52 PM
While I wouldn't go to the extent Bill has in saying things about 'ole Ken. It's pretty obvious what he is doing. He jumped ship because Microsoft offered him more money, not because he believes Microsoft makes better games or cares more about gaming. He gets more money. As an employee of Microsoft of course you can expect him to praise the X-box a bit while down playing the competition. Any idiot can look at the current games lined up for Gamecube and tell that it is nothing like the N64, it's more like the Super Nintendo then it is the N64. Hell, you could even tell that much from looking at the currently released games on it. Honestly when a man makes a point of a game like Colin McRae as one to really look forward to, it's not a system I would generally have interest in.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-24-2002, 12:59 PM
Btw, it was the klobb... quick to fire and rarely accurate ;D

Ironic, isn't it? :D

DBJAY
09-24-2002, 02:00 PM
He also blasted Sega back in the day, and Sony. As with all people, they will put out positive info about their console and blast the competition

Havoc2049
09-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Btw, it was the klobb... quick to fire and rarely accurate ;D

Ironic, isn't it? :D

LOL. Good one Kid0_oIcarus. While he would obviously be biased, I do feel he was being honest when he said this:

"But when I was at Nintendo--especially when it was Howard, Peter and Mr. Arakawa--they were such great guys. I have infinite respect for them, they really understood the industry, maybe better than anyone else in the world. Having them leave changed what Nintendo was like, especially when Mr. Arakawa left. I didn?t even look for this job. It was offered to me by a friend. It was a difficult decision, but part of what made it easy for me was that I'm a very hard-core game player and when it came right down to it, the final decision was made because that's what I was playing. I was playing the Xbox. I was spending, from the launch of Xbox and GameCube, 35-40 percent of my time on PS2, 45 percent on the Xbox, and barely touching my GameCube. And knowing what the portfolio was going to be on the GameCube this year and going way out, I decided that I didn't want to do this again. I did it on the N64 and it was hard. Having seen that that was going to be that--or was going to be worse, I said forget it. I'm tired of second-class third-party ports and I'm tired of first-party games spread way out."

Kid0_oIcarus
09-24-2002, 02:17 PM
Well, that statement was mostly personal sentiment, and as such even I could relate- if I wasn't happy with where the company I worked for was headed, or if long time friends left the company- I'd probably jump ship too. It sounds like he had friends over at Microsoft too.

What you need to remember is that it's always very hard for one person to know everything going on inside a company- there will always be oversights and changes. Since Ken has left Nintendo- there have been many changes and the reasons that he orignally left for may not even exist anymore.

Besides, he seems happy where he works now- and that matters a lot in life. If you're not happy doing something- do you really need to do it?

DBJAY
09-24-2002, 04:59 PM
He is right about 2nd class third party ports. Developers quite simply are giving the GC the shaft by putting almost no effort into Cube development. Nintendo needs to start insisting on added features in their third party ports, similar to how some of the Xbox games come with additional levels.

b0b
09-25-2002, 09:11 PM
I would say Ken was insturmental in MS aquiring Rare he was on the inside for years he'd know the people to talk to, and as we all know when Rare wants to be tight lipped theres no one as good at it short of Nintendo.

grahf
09-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Rare left because Nintendo didn't like or want them anymore and their games weren't really selling on Nintendo's machine. It had nothing to do with this guy.

baratus
09-26-2002, 12:01 AM
I think Mr Lobb is nothing more than an imbecile.:P

Kid0_oIcarus
09-26-2002, 08:00 AM
DJBAY, I've noticed this too- most of the GC ports are just that mre ports, with no enhacements whatsoever.. in fact sometimes the port is sloppy and downgrades the experience! wtf? That's one thing MS is doing, paying people to make their ports with enhancements..

Lobb might've had something to do with the aquisition- he might've seen them out there and said to Billy Gates (Or whoever is running this peanut operation) "My Dark Lord, There is a disturbance in the force. It is as if millions of gamers' hearts have suddenly broken. Now is the hour of their discontent! Pounce, my dark lord! Pounce!"

Yeah.. or something like that anyway.

Havoc2049
09-26-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
DJBAY, I've noticed this too- most of the GC ports are just that mre ports, with no enhacements whatsoever.. in fact sometimes the port is sloppy and downgrades the experience! wtf? That's one thing MS is doing, paying people to make their ports with enhancements..

Lobb might've had something to do with the aquisition- he might've seen them out there and said to Billy Gates (Or whoever is running this peanut operation) "My Dark Lord, There is a disturbance in the force. It is as if millions of gamers' hearts have suddenly broken. Now is the hour of their discontent! Pounce, my dark lord! Pounce!"

Yeah.. or something like that anyway.

:haha: LMAO

Havoc2049
09-26-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by grahf
Rare left because Nintendo didn't like or want them anymore and their games weren't really selling on Nintendo's machine. It had nothing to do with this guy.

Is that why Nintendo had Rare working on like 4 or 5 GC projects. Because they didn't want them? You better not buy Star Fox Adventures, it must suck. How many Rare games had been released in the past year, besides SFA? Microsoft has their PR spin, but Nintendo has theirs, when they tried to downplay the importance of Rare. If you include SFA, Rare would have released probably three games on the GC over the next twelve months. Nintendo projected lower profits this fiscal year because of the current console price war. It sounds to me, like Nintendo sold out for a quick buck, in order to bolster profits for this fiscal year. Kameo and the new Perfect Dark probably wouldn't have come out till next fiscal year.

grahf
09-26-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by AtariX

Is that why Nintendo had Rare working on like 4 or 5 GC projects. Because they didn't want them? You better not buy Star Fox Adventures, it must suck. How many Rare games had been released in the past year, besides SFA? Microsoft has their PR spin, but Nintendo has theirs, when they tried to downplay the importance of Rare. If you include SFA, Rare would have released probably three games on the GC over the next twelve months. Nintendo projected lower profits this fiscal year because of the current console price war. It sounds to me, like Nintendo sold out for a quick buck, in order to bolster profits for this fiscal year. Kameo and the new Perfect Dark probably wouldn't have come out till next fiscal year.

Get your facts straight. Rare games sucks. Almost everything they release are about some animal collecting coins. Banjo, Conkers, SFA, DK. They're all the same. Seems like they don't know how to make anything else.

Now Nintendo sold them because they were an embarrassment to the Nintendo brand. Rare didn't leave Nintendo. Nintendo told Rare to get the hell out.

SFA does suck, and so will Kameo, PD0 and any other trash Rare releases.

IoriYagami n8
09-27-2002, 12:36 AM
Nintendo had the chance to buy Rare for sometime. They didn't obviously the didn't think the company had enough to offer. I wouldn't say Rare games suck, I'm playing Star Fox Adventures and it is kicking ass so far, and games like Golden Eye and Donkey Kong Country were rather nice. The problem is that Rare doesn't have much on their own, and most of their games aren't great, but average. They do have gems from time to time of course. Just check the sales of Rare's past games and you see what Nintendo is saying. Hell, Conker not only sold horridly, it wasn't even released in Japan due to the fact that Japanese wouldn't understand half of the "humor" in the game. Rare doesn't suck, but they certainly aren't anything specail.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-27-2002, 08:27 AM
I wonder if when Nintendo decided not to buy the Stamper Bros.' (heh) shares, they imagined them going over to Microsoft....

DBJAY
09-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Nintendo made a mint off this deal. They sold back their 49% stake in Rare, so they have a nice cash infusion for their fiscal year.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-27-2002, 01:29 PM
Yeah, but it's not like they don't have money in the bank already...

aneep
09-28-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8
Nintendo had the chance to buy Rare for sometime. They didn't obviously the didn't think the company had enough to offer. I wouldn't say Rare games suck, I'm playing Star Fox Adventures and it is kicking ass so far, and games like Golden Eye and Donkey Kong Country were rather nice. The problem is that Rare doesn't have much on their own, and most of their games aren't great, but average. They do have gems from time to time of course. Just check the sales of Rare's past games and you see what Nintendo is saying. Hell, Conker not only sold horridly, it wasn't even released in Japan due to the fact that Japanese wouldn't understand half of the "humor" in the game. Rare doesn't suck, but they certainly aren't anything specail.

i'm sure no Nin fan would say that back in the N64 days ;)

kid

yeah Nin have lots of money, i'm still don't understand why they don't agree with Rare's term

IMO Nin would likely benefit more with Rare games on GC than by making a quick buck by selling Rare to MS

-aneep-

Kid0_oIcarus
09-28-2002, 05:26 PM
I'm inclined to think so too, that's why there must be something we're overlooking?

mxgame
09-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Rare revealed that Nintendo did make an offer to purchase Rare ,but Rare rejected the deal. I'm assuming it's because of the amount of money the company was asking for.

aneep
09-30-2002, 05:30 PM
like i just said, couldn't Nintendo comes up with something that Rare will agree too?

i'm sure whatever the cost, it'll be at least a lot cheaper than what MS has to spend to acquire Rare

Nintendo does already own 49% of Rare shares after all, only need the rest of it for complete buyout

-aneep-