PDA

View Full Version : Could the Dreamcast be in second place right now?

Wolf
04-24-2002, 10:04 PM
When I think about how Sega folded in January 2001 it always makes me wonder. What if Sega just stuck with it? Think about.

In Japan the GameCube met with less then spectacular launch day results as did the Xbox. The Dreamcast had almost 6 million units sold in the US, and GC and Xbox are nowhere near that mark yet.

ALso the amount of software that was released could fill any gamers apetite whether hardcore or casual not to mention their online games were just starting to pick up momentum.

As for power, I still play my DC and games like Headhunter,GGX, Rez and Shenmue II, those graphics are still astonishing. In all regards Sega should not have pulled out as quick as they did. Developers were still supporting the system and sales were not great, but not horrible. If they would have waited for the initial hype of the newly launched PS2 to wear off and stuck to their guns I think they could have second place in the industry sewed up about now. Games like Shenmue II, VF4 and Headhunter could have been games to sell systems. It's a real shame.

Since Sega isn't in the console wars anymore here's hoping they look at the portable market and challenge Nintendo with a new handheld of their own. Monopolies are never fun.

And for all of you importers, Treasure's Ikaruga is set for release in a few weeks. Import the quasi-sequel to Radiant Silvergun!!

grahf
04-25-2002, 12:04 AM
I think it was just too little, too late in the case of the Dreamcast. Sega was simply bleeding too much money each day during the DC's lingering existence. Firstly, they released the console at a cutthroat price, hoping to bank on the games, not knowing how wrong they were. Secondly, people weren't buying the DC or its games, even before the PS2 was launch. System sellers like Shenmue, Sonic, PSO, RE, and the like barely managed to reach a million. In fact, the first Shenmue sold so poorly in Japan that they decided to halt production on the other sequels. Third and lastly, support from fans and developers were declining, further pressuring Sega to pull the plug. I think Sega held to the bitter end, seeing as how they supported it till Capcom decided to jump ship.

Pdaimaoh
04-25-2002, 06:28 PM
it still IS in second place, basically...

it's a solid library
I wish they hadn't sold off to the crappy Xbox the last few games for the Dreamcast, because then it would have truly been my all time favorite console

as it stands, my most favored fighting games and two very excellent RPGs are on it, as well as a very original game, 2 crazy taxi style games, samba de amigo, decent lightgun games, and probably the best sound I've ever had thumping out of a console (even PS2 hasn't managed to do better!)

and my first console to have 'clean' 3D (you know, unlike the HEAVY jaggy effect of earlier consoles and a later one....as well as very sharp texturing in many cases!)

they did screw up on the controller, but at least sega of america FINALLY gave us REAL jewel cases instead of those god awful chunky clunky pieces of CRAP we had to endure forever (that probably sold a whole million units right there!)

Wolf
04-25-2002, 08:25 PM
When I think about the DC I realize it had something for everyone. It was a fighters dream console. All the great 2D and 3D fighting games released for that system will probably go unrivaled for sometime to come. Sports were there in spades and it had it's fair share of racing, action, shooting and adventure titles. With games like Seaman and Samba, Sega really pushed the envelope on what can be innovative and fun in an industry filled with sequels and regurgitation.

Ikaruga will not disappoint. :)

Vicviper
04-26-2002, 04:58 PM
For me the DC would be in a tie for 1st place right now. I love that system immensly. I was so heart broken when Sega pulled the plug on it. It's the only system that I actually bought a back up to because I would be so distraut if one died and I couldn't get another.

Black Sugar
04-26-2002, 05:24 PM
AaaAaaah, we are living in a crazy world.

How come a console with this most potential fail. Why Sega didn't die before that happen, at least I wouldn't have to live this traumatize for the rest of my life -.- .....! It hurt, truly hurt to see how money can rule the world even if something got this much potential.

If Dreamcast was alive , he would be at least number 2. when i read that the X-box struggle with the DC in japan ( struggling with a dead console that is o.o.....!!!!!!) I still wonder.

They did screw up the controller... I mean...REAAAAALY screw up. I bought and extra memory card so i wouldn't see the big hole in the center of my controller

( Bill Gates ain't smarter..putting a logo in the center ?? my god, what was he smoking that dayl ! You could at least put some kind of light around this logo......-.-......! )

Well Dreamcast is for me; the best console since the Snes age . And seeing how Sega is destroying all other third compagnes right now ...Now we can truly see how powerful Sega can be!

teepo
04-26-2002, 06:22 PM
6million worldwide.

Black Ace
04-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Wolf
When I think about how Sega folded in January 2001 it always makes me wonder. What if Sega just stuck with it? Think about.

In Japan the GameCube met with less then spectacular launch day results as did the Xbox. The Dreamcast had almost 6 million units sold in the US, and GC and Xbox are nowhere near that mark yet.

The Dreamcast has 6 million units sold in the US because it has been on the market since 9/9/99. Sega was able to sell a large ammount when they cut the price to $50. So comparing those sales to the GameCube or Xbox is irrelavent and incorrect. Xbox and GameCube has been here less than 6 months for God sake. lol :D

Dubkiller
04-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Interesting question. I don't think so, because devlopers would have been placing their bets on other platforms even if Sega had never announced it was pulling out. I don't think it could maintain second place on the strength of just their own games.

Wolf
04-28-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Bill

The Dreamcast has 6 million units sold in the US because it has been on the market since 9/9/99. Sega was able to sell a large ammount when they cut the price to $50. So comparing those sales to the GameCube or Xbox is irrelavent and incorrect. Xbox and GameCube has been here less than 6 months for God sake. lol :D

They were able to sell a large amount when they cut the price to $50.00, but they aeren't able to sell a fraction of what they did when when it was at $150.00. You see when Sega announced they were going to abandon the DC, no one wanted to really pick the DC up when that could be $50.00 on a PS2. And comparing the sales of the Dreamcast's almost 6 million consoles sold before January 2001 is very releavant considering how much a head start they would have had against the Xbox and GC. Of course the GC and box were hear for less then 6 months but to my knowledge they aren't on route to beat the PS2's sale record, I think they are on par with what the DC has sold at that time in it's life.

Rubeus
04-29-2002, 12:56 AM
If Sega didn't go multiplatform and stick with Dreamcast, they probably already went bankrupted last year! Sega of Japan was already in red for 3 consecutive years, they realized that if they don't do something, they won't survive. Sega already proved this is a smart move, they are already making profit right now, and hopefully repay the huge debts they made in the days with Dreamcast.

Zack
05-01-2002, 01:39 AM
It was a smart move by Sega. If they had kept producing the Dreamcast like you suggested, Sega would definately be bankrupt by now. The problem was they released the system at a bad time. The system came out when the PSX was still far from dead. PSX had tons of big-sellers still being released when the DC came out.

If they would have waited and released the system around the time PS2 came out, maybe a couple months before, the system could've been more successful since the PSX market was dying. Also, the Dreamcast would be more up-to-par with the PS2's specs, too.

This is just speculation though, it could've been even worse if they had released it later. Who knows. I don't think Sega has the best management, either. They produce some of the greatest titles, but their management isn't great. Especially Sega of America. How often did you see Dreamcast game advertisements 6 months after the system was released? Rarely. The system had very bad marketing.

I think it's a great system. It's unfortunately that it had to die off so quickly. I still play my Dreamcast. I just imported Rez, I look foward to that.

dog$
05-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Absolutely not.

In all countries now people have the choice between the X Box (where better graphics = better games, according to most idiots that support it), the PS2 (sports games from EA guaranteed), and GC (all kids & Nintendo lemmings refuse to let go), the DC would have had nothing to counter the other three companies, no matter what games or budget they would have pulled up. For every one person on this board or otherwise that has no shortage of good things to say about DC, there's 100 people out there that are silently buying $10 crap titles as they come out for no other reason than they're $10.

I really don't think they would have gained anything by sticking with the hardware market.

PS: Ikaruga better not be as boring as Radiant Silvergun is. I have it preordered so I'll find out soon enough, as long as the May 30 release date isn't a joke.

Bystander
05-06-2002, 02:01 PM
:(
I liked Radiant Silvergun

TriForce
05-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by dog$
Ikaruga better not be as boring as Radiant Silvergun is. I have it preordered so I'll find out soon enough, as long as the May 30 release date isn't a joke. Agreed on all accounts.