PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hyped about Contra: Shattered Soldier?

Black Ace
09-17-2002, 11:31 PM
When this game hits the store, my PS2 will come out of retirement as a DVD player.

Here is a preview excerpt from Magic Box:

Konami announced that the legendary Contra series will debut in stunning detail on next-generation game consoles in November 2002. Created exclusively for the Sony PlayStation 2, Contra: Shattered Soldier marks a welcome return to the frantic, action-packed gameplay that has made the series a certifiable classic. Featuring outstanding PS2-powered visuals and feverish 2D/3D gameplay, Contra Shattered Soldier promises to be the next-generation title that fans of the series have been waiting for.

"The Contra series is back after all these years, and it's bigger and better than ever," said Jason Enos, Product Manager at Konami of America. "Packed with serious firepower and great gameplay, these new Contra titles will blow gamers away!"

All of the legendary action and adrenaline of the famed Contra series comes to the PlayStation 2 with Contra: Shattered Soldier. Fans of the series will feel right at home with the game's signature frenzied, side-scrolling 2D gameplay, while newcomers to the series will be awed by the game's ultra-detailed 3D visuals and wide assortment of enemies - human, alien and mechanized.

Massive, screen-filling boss characters, a Contra series staple, do everything they can to keep players from proceeding through the multiple action-packed missions, while environmental threats such as swarms of bugs, aggressive enemies and alien encounters keep players on their toes. When the action gets too intense; players can always opt to take on the enemy with a friend in the cooperative 2-player simultaneous mode.

Featuring the gritty, futuristic character designs of celebrated artist and Comic Book illustrator Ashley Wood (Spawn, Aliens, X-Men, Star Wars), Contra: Shattered Soldier takes Contra and action gamers on a whole new roller coaster of harrowing gameplay, stellar visuals, and non-stop action. Simple, easy to pick-up-and-play controls gets players right into the game, while multiple endings and hidden levels add substantial replay value.

Alucard
09-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Must...have...Contra... Loved the old arcade version and this one looks just plain awesome.

rgmxp
09-18-2002, 01:47 AM
I agree, you do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever pass up a classic-remake;)

nintendude
09-18-2002, 03:13 AM
I am so excitied to see an old side scrolling game remade with awesome graphics! I had been thinking about how rad a game like metroid, contra, or battletoads would be if the kept them side scrolling, but re-vamped the graphics. This is perfect!!!

rgmxp
09-18-2002, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by nintendude
I am so excitied to see an old side scrolling game remade with awesome graphics! I had been thinking about how rad a game like metroid, contra, or battletoads would be if the kept them side scrolling, but re-vamped the graphics. This is perfect!!!

Definitely agree too, because thats what made it fun in the first place. Just simple gameplay, you didn't have to worry about depth+height+rotations...:spinface: Now that Contra is remade, when is the next installment of Castlevania/Akumajou? I still play the Synphony of the Night like, A LOT. Damn I need to find another copy soon...I think the laser is burning through the disc...:big smile

flamingspiral
09-18-2002, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I have been eyeing this game for a long time now. It's wide array of augmenting impressions is far to disinclined to ignore.

gabriel
09-18-2002, 07:57 PM
I'm looking forward to Contra, but the I dont like the graphical style. I dont know what it is about it, it just doesnt seem right for some reason.

Black Ace
09-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by gabriel
I'm looking forward to Contra, but the I dont like the graphical style. I dont know what it is about it, it just doesnt seem right for some reason.

And what reason would that be?

gabriel
09-18-2002, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure. It reminds me of those older arcade games that tried mixing "real" explosions with polygons but ended up with a really cheesy effect.

Black Sugar
09-19-2002, 12:11 AM
Same here. The odd choice of palette color, and the mix between 3D and old school control doesn't fit for me.

I would prefer a new 2D Contra with a lot (i mean a lot) of action on screen. A little bit like Treasure's Gunstar Heroes

Black Ace
09-21-2002, 10:05 PM
They just released a new trailer for this game. I think its great, but it looks kinda dark.

ATMA
09-22-2002, 12:08 PM
Contra is all about GAMEPLAY so please don't start nagging about graphics or special affects! This game is part of my growing up with the game-industry thingy There's nothing on this planet (unless a comet plunge down on earth) that can stop me from playing this game ...PERIOD!!!:cool guy:
I never doubted Konami!

Investor27
09-22-2002, 01:22 PM
When will it be out? Soon, I hope.

gabriel
09-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ATMA
Contra is all about GAMEPLAY so please don't start nagging about graphics or special affects! This game is part of my growing up with the game-industry thingy There's nothing on this planet (unless a comet plunge down on earth) that can stop me from playing this game ...PERIOD!!!:cool guy:
I never doubted Konami!

People have the right to complain about anything they like :) You shouldn't be blind to flaws just because you're satisfied with the overall package (<--- general statement). I'm a fan of shooters, a fan of Contra, and I will play and probably enjoy this particular game. But, as it stands, I dont like the way the graphics look, and I dont think there's anything wrong with making such a statement.

ATMA
09-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Perhaps instead of nagging i shoulda put Judge the game or something but you see Gabriel to start spaculating about a game before it's out ..........

Yes nothing wrong in making a statement like that! You got the right for an opinion i won't argue with that!

Time after time i had this arguement about graphics doesn't make a game ..it seems like a waste of time to argue about a game in the graphics department! I except a game for the way it is and just make the best out of it like enjoy it!(This is how i think) Remember back in the old days, why do you think the SNES was/is one of the best consoles ever, cause the games that came there (not all ofcourse) had unforgetable stories or gameplay, Graphics never play a part (that's why the 3do and atari 64 never made it far)! But if graphics play an important role for you or your game taste that's also your opinion and i can't argue with that! ;)
Flaws?? What do you mean with that i haven't seen one in Contra? But than again i'm not that type that buys a game and play it and try to find the flaws in it! Under flaws i understand when your playing a game and all of the sudden the game freezes ..that's a flaw IMO!!

If Konami use the same good old formula they used on the classics Contras this will be deffently be a great game! To bad Treasure dind't work on this one!

Black Ace
09-22-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by alexhho
When will it be out? Soon, I hope.

November 2002.

Thats the same month Metroid makes a return too. These games are kinda alike, shooting aliens, except Metroid games is much more deep and complex. Classic Contra is a straight foward side scrolling shooting.

gabriel
09-22-2002, 03:19 PM
I should've clarified before that it's the style of graphics, not the quality itself that bothers me about this game. Like some people may not like the cartoon style of the new Zelda game. It doesnt mean that the graphics are unpleasant to look at, it's just that they dont like that particular kind.

You shouldn't be blind to flaws just because you're satisfied with the overall package (<--- general statement).

Like it says in the post, that's just a general statement, and doesnt necessarily refer to you (ATMA) and Contra. All too often I see reviews that say something like "Perfect game, although the controls arent great, and the music sucks, 10/10" If the controls arent great and the music sucks it's obviously not a perfect game, since those improvements could be made. That's not to say that you cant enjoy the game because of those reasons, it could be your favourite game and you dont care that it has the flaws, but that doesnt change the fact that those flaws are there.

I can acknowledge shortcomings of a game I really like, without them affecting my overall enjoyment of the game. If you fail to do that it's like you're closing your eyes, putting your hands over your ears, shaking your head back and forth, singing "lalalalalalalalala!" :) Again, this is a general statement, and isnt personally directed at you, ATMA.

ATMA
09-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Don't worry i knew you meant it in general! .

Give you an excample ..Super mario sunshine ...camara problems ....i'm sure you heard about! Some people totaly hack/slash/bash the game because of this (some took it back after they figured out that you can controle the camara with the C-button) But here i am playing SMS and i like the camara the way it is ,cause i can use it to my benefit (like in some bonus stages) Now imagine if Nintendo woulda put a fixed camara (like Capcom does with Biohazard series) and amazingaly "gamers" also nag about this style to ..so basicaly now you got a game where you can controle the camara people are nagging ..and when you have one with fixed camara view ..people also nag about!Besides working with the camara is also great with the SMS experience, I got a feeling if the game came with fixed camara people will still complain about it or say the game is to easy! All this complaining happend all the time with graphics too ...Like cel-shading ..some people never played a game with cel-shaded(yet), but hey they can complain about it prety good! Okay i know i went alitle overboard with trying to explain my point ..but i guess i had to explain why i use the word nagging i owe you that one ;)

Overlord
09-22-2002, 07:31 PM
You nag too much ATMA! Why can't you just enjoy the game the way it is? Enjoy the simplities of life while you still can!

-Note: I didn't really read everything that was posted here. But I saw ATMA typing a lot of stuff with the word "nag" in it.

PadreNavi
09-23-2002, 05:35 PM
actually i already played a beta version of this game.. and id have to say im kinda dissapointed. it just doesn't feel like the awsome nes/snes versions... No spreader wtf is that..... The music isn't near as good as the snes version... And u can't take out both weaponds at once and twirl in the air shooting both guns WHAT THE F***... i like the idea that u can charge ur weaponds but i don't know ... very dissapointed.... maybe i expected too much....:angry:

ATMA
09-23-2002, 05:53 PM
Takingout the spreader weapon.. that's a surprise,But it's a beta version perhaps Konami can still change a few things since the beta version was released a couple of months ago, and therefor Konami still got time to change a few things in Contra! But who's the devolper ? Is it Konami that will also devolep it or is it a non japanese devoleper?I know the artist is an american artist!!

To bad Treasure isn't working on this one!

Investor27
09-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by ATMA
Takingout the spreader weapon.. that's a surprise,But it's a beta version perhaps Konami can still change a few things since the beta version was released a couple of months ago, and therefor Konami still got time to change a few things in Contra! But who's the devolper ? Is it Konami that will also devolep it or is it a non japanese devoleper?I know the artist is an american artist!!

To bad Treasure isn't working on this one!

That's true. If Treasure was on board for this version, they would have single-handedly brought back the 2D gameplaying genre. At any rate, the Konami staff responsible for this reiteration is more than capable, and I am looking forward to this title with great anticipation.

Black Ace
09-25-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by alexhho

That's true. If Treasure was on board for this version, they would have single-handedly brought back the 2D gameplaying genre. At any rate, the Konami staff responsible for this reiteration is more than capable, and I am looking forward to this title with great anticipation.

Yeah, Treasure is teh king of arcade shooting games. Its really too bad that this genre is pretty much consider dead, but still remained in the heart of hardcore gamers. I think Konami is doing it right this time, the game is 3D, but play like a 2D side scroller. Castlevania on GBA proves that Konami can get it done with Contra.

Havoc2049
09-25-2002, 03:15 AM
Contra is being developed in-house, by Konami. Nobuya Nakazoto is the producer, it sounds like he is the guy who originally developed Contra. Expect the gameplay to be very old school Contra, ala NES and SNES/Genesis Contra. None of that PSX crap Contra.

The American artist you are talking about is Ashley Wood. He has worked for Dreamworks, Marvel and Todd McFarland in the past. His stuff is very dark and gritty, which explains the new look of Contra.

Expect the music to be very dark also. "Modern and heavy" is the way the sound producer described the music in an interview.

I think the game looks kick-ass and will have kick-ass gameplay!

ATMA
09-25-2002, 12:48 PM
Well if it''s Konami than i have great hopes for this game! Thanks for the info AtariX!! :cool guy:

Investor27
09-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Same here. It's not the same group from Konami who made Metal Gear Solid, is it?

Kennyboy_23
09-30-2002, 04:48 AM
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left , Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Select, Start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am too excited about Contra. Back in the days, when I was young, I am not kid anymore, but some days I wish I was a kid again.

Grade 5 when the original Contra Came out. I still remember because I stole the game from ZEllers. I was only 10 years old.